Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary medical certificate

Options
  • 01-07-2015 5:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone can advise on normal wait times to be issued a primary medical certificate. I had an examination with the local senior medical officer over 2 weeks ago who said i would be getting one but i have not had any formal confirmation to that effect yet. How long does it normally take to issue?

Motor tax renewal is due for me today and i don't want to renew as the pmc is in process but i am concerned about being stopped by gardai for no tax with uncertainty as to when i can get my tax exemption sorted so I'm not sure what to do.

Any advise would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ring your local garda station and ask? I think I am right in saying that you have a month of flexibility, then you have to get a form signed by the local gardai anyway if your tax goes that far over. Be best to check though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭tomtom926a

hello. i was wondering how does some go about to getting a primary medical certificate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

It's all linked here - click to the PDF

I got a medical cert last year. It arrived about a week after the doctor examination. It's a poorly printed word document from the HSE.

You cannot claim tax relief unless you have an adapted vehicle, which is necessary for the PMC holder to get around in.

If you buy a new car and get it adapted you qualify for up to about €9500 rebate of VAT and VRT (€15800 if you are a passenger needing a family members car adapted.)

You can also choose to use a second hand car. You get it adapted and you are entitled to claim some of the original VRT back.

The adapted car is also exempt from road tax and tolls.

You need to decide on the car to be adapted and then send off to the revenue in Monaghan.I found those guys great to deal with, very helpful. I went for a new car so waited until January, so I was in no hurry. The form needs the VIN and the revenue approved it in about a week. I found the garage great as they did most of the dealing with the revenue and adaption people.
    hello. i was wondering how does some go about to getting a primary medical certificate
    All Here

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Grey_Goose

tomtom926a wrote: »
    Hello tomtom.
    You get Primary Medical Cert Application form from your HSE Office. Fill this out and return it requesting a meeting with the Senior Medical Officer. The Medical Officer will assess you and let you know if you are entitled.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Glokkie

Hi Guys, do any of you know what the conditions are for getting the Primary Medical Certificate. I am mobile, but have MS and our car just died. I have been told that if I go for a new one and I have a Primary Medical Cert I will come under the Mobility scheme which means that a new car would now be affordable. I know on line it says that to qualiy you need to have a limb missing or of little use, I have nothing missing (apart from brain cells ha ha ha) but we are very rural and no public transport, do they take this into consideration?

Thanks in advance x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The scheme is administered by Revenue, so they have the most current information available on their site

This results page holds a few relevant entries
    http://www.revenue.ie/revsearch/search?q=disabled&btnSearch=Find

and this one shows the recent changes to the scheme which has serious impact on a number of applicants

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/changes-disabled-drivers-and-passengers-scheme.html

For instance it is no longer necessary to purchase the vehicle from an authorised dealer!

Hello Glokkie
    You get Primary Medical Cert Application form from your HSE Office. Fill this out and return it requesting a meeting with the Senior Medical Officer. The Medical Officer will assess you and let you know if you are entitled.
    Wishing you success and hope the Medical Officer is in favour of your application.

The scheme is administered by Revenue, so they have the most current information available on their site

This results page holds a few relevant entries
    http://www.revenue.ie/revsearch/search?q=disabled&btnSearch=Find

and this one shows the recent changes to the scheme which has serious impact on a number of applicants

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/changes-disabled-drivers-and-passengers-scheme.html

For instance it is no longer necessary to purchase the vehicle from an authorised dealer!

It would also appear that to qualify for this new scheme now - it looks like one has to be confined to a wheelchair whilst heretofore if it was only necessary to have a seat modification one could qualify. This new scheme is a backward move in my opinion as it appears to disqualify a big majority of disabled people that would qualify for the old scheme. If this is the case the new minister for disabilities needs to be lobbied.

Or is it the case that to qualify now for the Scheme the Primary Medical Certificate is enough? if the Car needs no modification. For instance if one needs to purchase an Automatic to enable the disabled person to drive.

Any comments welcomed.

Grey_Goose wrote: »
    It would also appear that to qualify for this new scheme now - it looks like one has to be confined to a wheelchair whilst heretofore if it was only necessary to have a seat modification one could qualify. This new scheme is a backward move in my opinion as it appears to disqualify a big majority of disabled people that would qualify for the old scheme. If this is the case the new minister for disabilities needs to be lobbied.

Or is it the case that to qualify now for the Scheme the Primary Medical Certificate is enough? if the Car needs no modification. For instance if one needs to purchase an Automatic to enable the disabled person to drive.

Any comments welcomed.

Seat modifications for individuals are allowable adaptations.
    Can you quote the bit that has you doubting this?

The vehicle still needs to be adapted for use by the driver or passenger. An manufacturer option (such as automatic gearbox) is not an adaptation, so does not qualify.

Hello Johnboy1951

Thanks for the clarification.

Maybe my interpretation is not the best as it starts off by saying that Advances in design provide a greater opportunity for disabled people to drive but to purchase a vehicle of this design can be prohibitively expensive for many people with disabilities. I take your clarification that the vehicle needs some sort of adaption to qualify. The criteria doesn't mention that a seat adaption only would qualify one.

Hereunder is a quote from Number 1 under the heading Specifically Adapted Vehicles.

Advances in vehicle design have provided a greater opportunity to allow people with severe disabilities to drive motor vehicles. However, the cost of such vehicles can be prohibitively expensive for many persons with disabilities, given the extensive nature of the adaptations required. For that reason, the Minister has provided for a category of "specifically adapted vehicles".
    This category provides Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) and VAT relief of up to €16,000 for the purchase of such vehicles. The vehicle must be held for 3 years before resale.
    The adaptations which shall qualify for this enhanced relief must be one of the following:
    1. a modified rear or side entry incorporating an integrated ramp or lift and a modified floor to facilitate direct wheelchair access, and wheelchair restraints or a wheelchair docking station; or,
    2. a modified rear or side entry incorporating a lowered and modified floor to facilitate direct wheelchair access, and wheelchair restraints or a wheelchair docking station; or,
    3. extensive reconfiguration of primary controls necessary to enable the vehicle to be driven by the disabled person.
    In the case of a new car, these adaptations must be certified under EU type-approval or by the National Standards Authority of Ireland (NSAI).
    If a person wishes to adapt a used car to the specifications outlined above the adaptations must be certified out by a Suitably Qualified Individual (SQI). More information on SQIs is contained here: Suitably Qualified Individual (SQI).

Regards
    Grey_Goose

• Advertisement

What that is saying is that people buying vehicles with VERY SERIOUS adaptations ...... in fact the nature of the vehicle changed rather than a removable adaptation ...... get a better break than those with removable adaptations.

It is an additional class and is to be welcomed IMO.

I would need to go back and read the whole thing again to be sure, as I have forgotten most of it now :) old brain cells ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭FluffyAngel

this link has some questions answered
    www.iwa.ie/index.php/information/faqs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Hi,

My 10 year old daughter is wheelchair bound (muscular dystrophy) but currently can or is able to be transferred into and out of our ordinary (unadapted car).

She/we will be receiving a primary medical cert in the coming days.

We are just wondering as it seems a little unclear if we would be entitled to Motor Tax Exemption and the Fuel allowance given that our car is not or does not really need to be adapted?

Hi,

My 10 year old daughter is wheelchair bound (muscular dystrophy) but currently can or is able to be transferred into and out of our ordinary (unadapted car).

She/we will be receiving a primary medical cert in the coming days.

We are just wondering as it seems a little unclear if we would be entitled to Motor Tax Exemption and the Fuel allowance given that our car is not or does not really need to be adapted?

I think you will find that the vehicle must be adapted to qualify for rebate & tax exemption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

I think you will find that the vehicle must be adapted to qualify for rebate & tax exemption.

Thanks for the reply.

It's looking like that alright. If it is I have to say I think it's an unnecessary hurdle in order to qualify for some financial help put in place by the powers that be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fdela

Peppa Pig wrote: »

I got a medical cert last year. It arrived about a week after the doctor examination. It's a poorly printed word document from the HSE.

You cannot claim tax relief unless you have an adapted vehicle, which is necessary for the PMC holder to get around in.

If you buy a new car and get it adapted you qualify for up to about €9500 rebate of VAT and VRT (€15800 if you are a passenger needing a family members car adapted.)

You can also choose to use a second hand car. You get it adapted and you are entitled to claim some of the original VRT back.

The adapted car is also exempt from road tax and tolls.

You need to decide on the car to be adapted and then send off to the revenue in Monaghan.I found those guys great to deal with, very helpful. I went for a new car so waited until January, so I was in no hurry. The form needs the VIN and the revenue approved it in about a week. I found the garage great as they did most of the dealing with the revenue and adaption people.

hello i found your information regarding primary medical card cert very useful ? would you have the name of the garage you used in monaghan ? you said you found them useful to deal with so am i right in saying if im buying a new car will the dealer do the adaption that needs doing prior to buying the car ? and would is it true you have to buy the new car cash up front then claim tax relief

Fdela wrote: »
    hello i found your information regarding primary medical card cert very useful ? would you have the name of the garage you used in monaghan ? you said you found them useful to deal with so am i right in saying if im buying a new car will the dealer do the adaption that needs doing prior to buying the car ? and would is it true you have to buy the new car cash up front then claim tax relief

There is a list of approved adaptation firms on the NSAI site.
    Only those on the list are acceptable.

IMO you should consult with the adaptation firm first, to discuss your adaptation requirements and get some advise about the most suitable vehicle for you needs ........ before you purchase a vehicle!

https://www.nsai.ie/Our-Services-(1)/Docs/Automotive/Disabled-Drivers/17-02-10-Vehicle-Adaptors.aspx

https://www.nsai.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Fdela wrote: »
    Monaghan is where the revenue dealing with it is located. You get authorisation from them, order your car and the talk to the one of the approved adapters. The revenue have a list of approved adaptations, which the garage can also access. Select an adaption company, select the adaption and pay them when it's adapted. The garage will ship the car to the adapters and ship it back when completed. As advised above, do this before ordering the car.

Bear in mind it could be a few weeks before a garage will have stock in.

You then go into the garage, pay your money and they will register it without the VRT being required at all, providing you have your authorisation code from the revenue. You claim the VAT back yourself, although I had the garage prepared to wait for the balance when the vat was refunded. You then claim the VAT on the adaption costs as well

Next is to "tax" the car, do it online and the motor tax crowd will send you a tax disc for zero cost. Then you contact one of the toll operators and they will issue you with a toll pass, when you give them proof it's an adapted car (revenue letter and a copy of the tax disc) and the form and photo id.

Then you're done. Every December you claim the excise duty online from the revenue. Throughout the whole process the revenue are quite slick, just apply for the approval a few weeks before you plan on taking of your new car or even before you start looking.

All main dealers are very familiar with the whole process and will help you through it. I also found talking to the revenue in Monaghan was excellent.

Advertisement