Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amendment court challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Daith

Hmm, so are they waiting until after the 28 days to issue the cert?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Daith wrote: »
    Hmm, so are they waiting until after the 28 days to issue the cert?

Yeah, is there any way at all to find out exactly why it hasn't been issued yet? We're just making educated guesses but a definite answer should be made available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Its a bit weird how long all of this takes. When they allowed SSM in the US, they were issuing marriage certs almost immediately. I know its important to have checks and balances. But its ridiculous that an individual with an agenda, can basically slow down laws happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

The process in the U.S. was different though. It was just legislated for in most of the state's that had it.

In Ireland all we've done so far is have a referendum to remove a possible constitutional ambiguity. The legislation still hasn't happened yet to actually implement it and this technical appeal is about the process of the referendum rather than the issue of same sex marriage.

Also because of when the referendum was held (May) there was always a risk of this running into the summer recess which is what's compounding it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,043 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The process in the U.S. was different though. It was just legislated for in most of the state's that had it.

In Ireland all we've done so far is have a referendum to remove a possible constitutional ambiguity. The legislation still hasn't happened yet to actually implement it and this technical appeal is about the process of the referendum rather than the issue of same sex marriage.

Also because of when the referendum was held (May) there was always a risk of this running into the summer recess which is what's compounding it.

The main point is that the referendum passed..can we not just have the marriages straight away. The legislation should have been passed the week after the result - end of story in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

The main point is that the referendum passed..can we not just have the marriages straight away. The legislation should have been passed the week after the result - end of story in my view.

That's democracy - that there are checks and balances and legislation takes time to go through. I agree these cases were ridiculous and vexatious but I think it's completely healthy and a good thing that we have a democracy where such cases can be taken.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,988 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

That's democracy - that there are checks and balances and legislation takes time to go through. I agree these cases were ridiculous and vexatious but I think it's completely healthy and a good thing that we have a democracy where such cases can be taken.
    Yes but such cases shouldn't be allowed delay things as long as they have. It should have been expedited. What's happening should also be much clearer - a lot of people went through a lot of trouble for this vote and now it's in limbo with only vague ideas of when it will be implemented. Nobody really seems that interested any more now that the vote has passed.

The cases are over, there's no pending case at present.

From this article
    A stay on the issuing of the certificate had applied pending the appeal court’s ruling. It has now been lifted.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/appeal-court-clears-last-legal-obstacle-to-same-sex-marriage-1.2302482

So it seems there is no barrier to issue the cert. So my question still remains, are they just waiting for the 28 days to finish before issuing the cert? They don't have to though do they?

I suppose it doesn't make a whole pile of difference with the Dail being on break but it would be nice to just have it issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,056 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

So it seems there is no barrier to issue the cert. So my question still remains, are they just waiting for the 28 days to finish before issuing the cert? They don't have to though do they?

I suppose it doesn't make a whole pile of difference with the Dail being on break but it would be nice to just have it issued.
    They don't have to, but they may think it wise to. As you point out, the Oireachtas is not sitting, so even if the cert were issued no progress could be made. And if the cert were issued, and then there were an appeal, it would look bad and possibly put them in a sticky spot. They wouldn't want to appear to try to sideline the courts, or anticipate their decision, or act in a way that might frustrate any decision the courts might eventually make.

I appreciate that there's a desire to complete this process and actually start celebrating weddings. But in the scheme of things, waiting for the 28-day limit to expire is not a big deal. This change was recommended to the Government by the Constitutional Convention in May 2013. It took the Government 7 months to consider that recommendation and commit to it. It took another 14 months before they introduced the necessary Bill into the Oireachtas. Another 2 months for the Oireachtas to pass it. 2 more months to organise the referendum. In the light of this fairly deliberate pace, a 28-day pause at a time when the Oireachtas isn't sitting anyway doesn't look like anything to get worked up about.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    They wouldn't want to appear to try to sideline the courts, or anticipate their decision, or act in a way that might frustrate any decision the courts might eventually make.

So why would the Judge say at the Court of Appeals that the stay on issuing the cert can be lifted? I fail to see how anyone could be in the wrong here for issuing the cert.
    In the light of this fairly deliberate pace, a 28-day pause at a time when the Oireachtas isn't sitting anyway doesn't look like anything to get worked up about.

My main issue is that we are coming into General Election season. We haven't implemented the Children and Family Act either and that was signed off in March/April.

• Advertisement

So why would the Judge say at the Court of Appeals that the stay on issuing the cert can be lifted?
    Because that's how it's done. If the objectors knew, at the time the CA judgement was handed down, that they would definitely appeal they would say so, and ask him not to lift the stay, and I think he would accede to that request. As that didn't happen, he lifted the stay. If the objectors then decide to appeal, they can go into the Supreme Court and ask it to re-impose the stay, which it would certainly do (if, of course, it agreed to take the appeal, which it doesn't have to).
    I fail to see how anyone could be in the wrong here for issuing the cert.
    Nobody would be in the wrong, legally speaking. But nothing would be acheived by it and it could be made by the ignorant or malicious to look like an attempt to pre-empt any possible appeal. Why expose yourself to the hassle?
    My main issue is that we are coming into General Election season. We haven't implemented the Children and Family Act either and that was signed off in March/April.
    This has all-party support and definitely won't be an election issue except for the kind of fringe party that will seek to make it an election issue no matter what happens or doesn't happen in the meantime. Besides, as already pointed out, cert or no cert the Dail can't progress this because they are not sitting until 22 September, so issuing the cert now rather than when the appeal deadline expires will make precisely zero difference to whatever risk there may be of this becoming an election issue.

Besides, as already pointed out, cert or no cert the Dail can't progress this because they are not sitting until 22 September, so issuing the cert now rather than when the appeal deadline expires will make precisely zero difference to whatever risk there may be of this becoming an election issue.

I agree it's just a tad frustrating. It'll be even more so if they wait to the last possible moment to appeal.

I had nearly forgotten that the Dail won't be back till the 22nd of Sept. That is some break.

I do think though someone at Government level should really issue a statement on what's going on here.

A few overseas journalists I know have asked me to explain why it's not passed yet and are reading in some kind of corruption / institutional homophobia into the situation that isn't there.

The impression that it's giving from the outside, if you don't understand the system, is that the state is sitting on it.

Everywhere else in Europe where they've passed marriage equality, it's been by primary legislation. That means that once passed, people were able to immediately start marrying.

Where as in Ireland we've only unblocked the constitutional issues and we still have to actually legislate for it.

It's amazing though, if this were something like bailing out the banks, it would be done in 24 hours.

Could somebody clarify something.

My understanding is that the Marriage Bill has already being debated and passed by the Dail and Seanad. Does it need to to be passed again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

My understanding is that the Marriage Bill has already being debated and passed by the Dail and Seanad.

No - draft legislation has been prepared and shouldn't take too long to progress through the Dáil and Seanad, though I would expect some TDs and Senators (perhaps with an eye on the forthcoming election) will want to have their say.
    The Oireachtas can't pass legislation prior to any referendum as that could be a waste of time, depending on the result.

lottpaul wrote: »
    No - draft legislation has been prepared and shouldn't take too long to progress through the Dáil and Seanad, though I would expect some TDs and Senators (perhaps with an eye on the forthcoming election) will want to have their say.
    The Oireachtas can't pass legislation prior to any referendum as that could be a waste of time, depending on the result.

Ah, I was getting confused between the Marriage Equality Bill (to allow us to have the referendum) and the Marriage Bill which is in draft form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

I appreciate that there's a desire to complete this process and actually start celebrating weddings. But in the scheme of things, waiting for the 28-day limit to expire is not a big deal. This change was recommended to the Government by the Constitutional Convention in May 2013. It took the Government 7 months to consider that recommendation and commit to it. It took another 14 months before they introduced the necessary Bill into the Oireachtas. Another 2 months for the Oireachtas to pass it. 2 more months to organise the referendum. In the light of this fairly deliberate pace, a 28-day pause at a time when the Oireachtas isn't sitting anyway doesn't look like anything to get worked up about.

And don't forget that the campaign for marriage equality in Ireland is over 10 years old. Add that 10 year campaign to what you've listed above, and 28 days is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Compared to delays in the implementation of other referenda, this will be pretty short; eg divorce legislation was signed 7 months after the referendum.
    So why would the Judge say at the Court of Appeals that the stay on issuing the cert can be lifted? I fail to see how anyone could be in the wrong here for issuing the cert.

The judge gave an order that the stay could be lifted. But court standing orders allow an appeal against an order to be lodged within 28 days.

As I see it, they're within their rights to issue the cert, but they're likely be ultra cautious to make sure every i is dotted and t crossed. We've less than 2 weeks until they can issue the cert, and then the President can sign the referendum bill, and then we can all run out and buy our new Constitutions :)
    Because that's how it's done. If the objectors knew, at the time the CA judgement was handed down, that they would definitely appeal they would say so, and ask him not to lift the stay, and I think he would accede to that request. As that didn't happen, he lifted the stay. If the objectors then decide to appeal, they can go into the Supreme Court and ask it to re-impose the stay, which it would certainly do (if, of course, it agreed to take the appeal, which it doesn't have to).

As an aside, when the judge mentioned he was lifting the stay, both of the objectors said they had no objection and indeed hadn't sought it in the first place (which they hadn't). Then again, this was the same time they heard there was an application for costs against them, so the idea of an appeal probably wasn't foremost in their mind at the time. :)

My understanding is that the Marriage Bill has already being debated and passed by the Dail and Seanad. Does it need to to be passed again?

Definitely not the Marriage Bill. Only the general outline of that has been seen and there's no point doing anything with it until the constitution has been amended. You might thinking about the referendum bill, which needs to be passed by both houses before going to the people.

NuMarvel wrote: »
    You might thinking about the referendum bill, which needs to be passed by both houses before going to the people.

Indeed I was.

Does this mean we have to listen to Ronan again in the Seanad?

It'll largely be a rubber stamping exercise where it will just go through all stages quite rapidly. The work has all largely been completed.

Actually, the biggest issue that's likely to crop up with be Labour and FG both clambering to claim the credit for it.

I get the impression Labour's quite sore about FG suddenly grabbing the limelight on this issue when they've been chipping away at it for decades without much recognition.

This is quite likely to be very unlike a US debate on legislation as you'll have a lot of parties scrambling to prove they're the most LGBT-friendly.

• Advertisement

My main issue is that we are coming into General Election season.

Thats not an issue. Once the referendum comes into force the government is obliged to legislate because the wording is self executing

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/same-sex-marriage-referendum-a-legal-review-1.2074579

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

Does this mean we have to listen to Ronan again in the Seanad?

Yeah, I'm wondering if he, Fidelma, and Jimmy Walsh will try to filibuster it. Not that it'll do them any good whatsoever, but I'll be curious to see if they'll pipe up or if they'll just let it go through.

Yeah, I'm wondering if he, Fidelma, and Jimmy Walsh will try to filibuster it. Not that it'll do them any good whatsoever, but I'll be curious to see if they'll pipe up or if they'll just let it go through.

They'll try to introduce all sorts of conscience clauses into law for registrars and wedding cake suppliers.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't forget Fergal Quinn. He sold his middle class friendly supermarket before letting most of his customers know it'd have been worth boycotting

L1011 wrote: »
    Don't forget Fergal Quinn. He sold his middle class friendly supermarket before letting most of his customers know it'd have been worth boycotting

I thought is was well known that he was a Catholic conservative and a Knights of Columbanus member.

Terry Pratchet

They could try but they'd be unlikely to get very far.
    The Seanad doesn't have any ability to actually block legislation, only delay it and the majority of senators are in favour.

Also, I'm sure David Norris could take them on with plenty of back up from several other socially liberal senators.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,043 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Many people would argue that these cases undermine democracy. I cannot see how these cases are healthy for democracy. They are a complete farce.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I thought is was well known that he was a Catholic conservative and a Knights of Columbanus member.

He kept his mouth shut when he had a business, though. Also never obviously let the religion interfere - they sold condoms as soon as they went on general sale for instance. Something a lot of other right wing business people aren't able to do!

Many people would argue that these cases undermine democracy. I cannot see how these cases are healthy for democracy. They are a complete farce.

The delay is definitely looking a bit ridiculous at this stage.

An appeals process should be timely, however anything that goes through the justice system here rarely is!

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    The delay is definitely looking a bit ridiculous at this stage.

An appeals process should be timely, however anything that goes through the justice system here rarely is!
    Are you serious? The objections have already been through the High Court, and judgement given, and through the Court of Appeal, and judgment given, and now there remains only 12 days to try and bring a final appeal to the Supreme Court. I don't see how that's anything other than very fast.

On television legal cases get wrapped up within 45 minutes of the underlying events occurring. But you're in the real world now.

Advertisement