Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boston College v Georgia Tech @ Aviva Stadium 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭stereomatic

Hope to go to it, bit miffed missing the last one.

Clear the diary :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Looking forward to this. No news about tickets yet is there? Here's a high level map on the site.

aviva-stadium.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

I know little about college football.
    How big a matchup is this game?
    Where do these teams lie in the pantheon of college football?

I know little about college football.
    How big a matchup is this game?
    They'd be two fairly famous colleges, with big followings (play at 45k-55k stadiums). There'll be a lot of yanks travelling for this (last 2 had only one "real football" college).

In terms of competitiveness, impossible to say, last year Georgia Tech would have likely won comfortably (they were 8th best team, Boston College were a good bit behind), but with graduations etc it could easily swing around in the next 17 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Power rankings can be annoying at times but if you believe in them, CBS had BC at 58 in the country and VT at 59 out of the 128 FBS colleges after last season and Bleacherreport (a site I hate with a passion) has BC at 52 and VT 54.

So they're about mid table in the overall scheme of things so to use an English Football analogy, they'd probably be towards the bottom of the Championship.

Of course a new year means Seniors graduate and move on and a new batch of freshmen come in so their strengths will change and there'll be another year of change next season too so God only knows what'll they'll be like in September 2016.

But I think it's safe to say we aren't getting teams that will be challenging in the major bowls although we probably thought that in 2012 and ND made it to the National Title game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Power rankings can be annoying at times but if you believe in them, CBS had BC at 58 in the country and VT at 59 out of the 128 FBS colleges after last season and Bleacherreport (a site I hate with a passion) has BC at 52 and VT 54.

So they're about mid table in the overall scheme of things so to use an English Football analogy, they'd probably be towards the bottom of the Championship.

Of course a new year means Seniors graduate and move on and a new batch of freshmen come in so their strengths will change and there'll be another year of change next season too so God only knows what'll they'll be like in September 2016.

But I think it's safe to say we aren't getting teams that will be challenging in the major bowls although we probably thought that in 2012 and ND made it to the National Title game.

You're confusing Georgia Tech with Virginia Tech.

Georgia Tech were a top 10 team on almost all rankings last year.

As for this game, I'm not sure how attractive it will be for casual or new fans. Both teams are run heavy offences (bit of an understatement for Georgia Tech). Both only averaged around 130 passing yards a game last year. They were both in the bottom 5 teams in the country in terms of passing (out of 128 teams). I'm not sure how appreciative casual fans and newcomers will be of a predominantly ground based game.

You're confusing Georgia Tech with Virginia Tech.

Georgia Tech were a top 10 team on almost all rankings last year.

As for this game, I'm not sure how attractive it will be for casual or new fans. Both teams are run heavy offences (bit of an understatement for Georgia Tech). Both only averaged around 130 passing yards a game last year. They were both in the bottom 5 teams in the country in terms of passing (out of 128 teams). I'm not sure how appreciative casual fans and newcomers will be of a predominantly ground based game.

You're right. I don't know why I had VT in my head. Brain not working well today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,969 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Will definitely be attending unless something drastic occurs between now and then!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭mickysquint

I really hope the teams have a bit of merchandise for sale near or around the stadium this time, even a small selection of t-shirts and Jerseys.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is this a competitive fixture or just a friendly/pre-season game?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

Competitive

• Registered Users Posts: 13 FrontalNumber

Any idea when tickets for this will go on sale? I heard the last two games sold out fairly early on so I might try and get mine asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Any idea when tickets for this will go on sale? I heard the last two games sold out fairly early on so I might try and get mine asap.

Croker didn't sell out. Still people buying tickets on the day. Hard to know when they'll be on sale though. If I was to hazard a guess I'd say around October/November to try tie in with Christmas presents perhaps.

That_Guy wrote: »
    Croker didn't sell out. Still people buying tickets on the day. Hard to know when they'll be on sale though. If I was to hazard a guess I'd say around October/November to try tie in with Christmas presents perhaps.

Ah I should be grand so. I'll still try and get it sorted early enough though, just to be safe. If they are out before Christmas I might as well chance my arm and drop a few hints to the family too, seeing as they never know what to get me, haha. Thanks man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,199 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Croke Park didn't sell out but they announced a crowd of over 55,000 at it which would be a sell out in the Aviva

I bought tickets on the day (missed first quarter)

Dodge wrote: »
    Croke Park didn't sell out but they announced a crowd of over 55,000 at it which would be a sell out in the Aviva

I bought tickets on the day (missed first quarter)

I think they're expecting a sell out at the Aviva this time around, with a good share of those numbers coming from the States. Might be best to get in early like.

Any idea when tickets for this will go on sale?
    They're plugging the all-inclusive packages for the Yanks at the moment. Think they'll give them a few more months...
    http://collegefootballireland.com/travel-packages/

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

I almost feel sorry for the Americans, looking at the prices being offered.

$1,500 for three nights in a 3* hotel and a match ticket. ****ing hell! You'd get that for €250 if you did it online. Disgraceful.

On the game, I'm delighted its happening, GT are a very good side and a team that I think will win/compete for ACC honours and Playoff contention. They have a quality QB and offensive system. I like the option they run.

Decent matchup.

mooreman09 wrote: »
    I almost feel sorry for the Americans, looking at the prices being offered.

$1,500 for three nights in a 3* hotel and a match ticket. ****ing hell! You'd get that for €250 if you did it online. Disgraceful.

Does that include flights though? It's not as bad if they are like. If airfare isn't included in that it IS ridiculous. Either way, we have it fairly handy here :L I'm trying to see how much it would cost for myself and between the train up from Cork, a few nights in a hostel and the ticket to the game it could easily be done for well under €200. Quite a bit better than the poor Yanks to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭mooreman09

Nope - it states there is no Travel included!! Madness.....

http://bc.collegefootballireland.com/travel-packages/

Yeah its grand for us, but its embarrassing the way we try grab a quick steal any chance that we can.

• Advertisement

Those packages are aimed at rich alumni who would have no problem forking out those prices.

mooreman09 wrote: »
    Nope - it states there is no Travel included!! Madness...

Yeah its grand for us, but its embarrassing the way we try grab a quick steal any chance that we can.

Yeah I read it afterwards... It's crazy alright...
    although it is nice to see them do it for a change. Any time someone from this side of the pond wants to go to a big event in the states (big NFL games, Wrestlemania, etc) we're paying the same prices like.

I think we'd be forgiven for wanting a quick steal in cases like this though... If this game was on in Boston and one of us was going over then the reverse could be true like. Also, how often does something like this come around here in Ireland? Wouldn't blame us for jumping at the chance.

Those packages are aimed at rich alumni who would have no problem forking out those prices.

And of course those borderline crazy die hards whose life revolves around their college ball team.

I think we'd be forgiven for wanting a quick steal in cases like this though... If this game was on in Boston and one of us was going over then the reverse could be true like. Also, how often does something like this come around here in Ireland? Wouldn't blame us for jumping at the chance.
    I wouldn't be so sure those are Irish people making those bobs, more likely american tour companies that will charter the plane, hotel, tickets, busses etc.

Bit like Irish people booking a package holiday to spain, a good chunk of the cash goes to Irish Travel Agent.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure those are Irish people making those bobs, more likely american tour companies that will charter the plane, hotel, tickets, busses etc.

Bit like Irish people booking a package holiday to spain, a good chunk of the cash goes to Irish Travel Agent.

Ah, yeah I probably read that in the wrong context... That does make a lot of sense alright, tour companies over are pretty good at explointing these things... They make a killing off of those travel packages. They don't include flights in a lot of them either, probably so they don't have to fork over a chunk of it to the airlines.
    There probably is some few pound coming here from it though, the Irish organisers are partnered with the main tour operator I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,199 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

This is the key. This is an American company charging wealthy Americans for a package they're happy to spend money on. They don't feel like they're getting ripped off and everyone is happy

• Site Banned Posts: 880 ✭✭✭whiteshorts

Just wondering will Boston v Georgia Tech be a sell out in Aviva September next year?
    Went to the last one and was good crack but not sure booking tickets 10 months in advance will be required.
    Aviva will hold 50k but assume it's reduced for an event like this.
    Pre sale starts tomorrow and just wondering what people thoughts were?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,070 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

BC is about as big an "Irish" college as you will find, its hinterland has a huge Irish American population.

So I'd imagine they will bring just as many if not more than ND did a few years back.

Demand will be pretty strong externally.

I am hoping to go also and will not hesitate to buy tickets once they are available.

What exactly is "pre sale" by the way

Is ticket master acting the boll0x for anyone else or is it just me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

pre sale tickets just seem to be in the corners?

may wait til general sale

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement