Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stay There! with Miriam - 1st August 2015 9:40pm

Options
  • 01-08-2015 8:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭

From RTE TEN:

Former Girls Aloud star Sarah Harding is among the guests appearing on Saturday Night with Miriam.

The popstar will open up to host Miriam O'Callaghan about moving on from Girls Aloud and her recent appearance on Coronation Street. She will also perform her debut solo single Threads.

Also appearing on the show this week is legendary broadcaster Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh ahead of his 85th birthday this month, while world champion boxer Andy Lee looks forward to his title defence against Billy Joe Saunders in Thomons Park this September.

And acclaimed Irish fashion designer Paul Costelloe will chat about fashion, his family and dressing everyone from stars to royals.

I don't believe it's been all that long since Sarah last appeared on an RTE chat show. Nor do I believe that Paul has ever been popular here on Boards. :o:o:D;)

But I do believe that Mícheál will not disappoint. Even in retirement, he's still iontach. And he looks great for ochtó a cúig. :D:D:);)

For a change, here's a slightly older feline and a slightly older canine... :o:D:);)

Senior-Cat.jpgsenior-dog-335mk072011.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

This thread keeps disappearing on me, I think Boards is wobbly tonight.

Stay There!

Sarah Harding was on this programme less than 2 years ago, and she appeared on the Saturday Night Show last year.

It's a lot of exposure for someone who hasn't done much in that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,154 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Skid X wrote: »
    Sarah Harding was on this programme less than 2 years ago, and she appeared on the Saturday Night Show last year.

It's a lot of exposure for someone who hasn't done much in that time.

Some Kimberley would be nice. :)

Oh, and evening all! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I don't really like Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh.

There, I said it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh is enough for me to avoid the show. I can't stand him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

RayM wrote: »

There, I said it.

Cén fáth nach? :eek: :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

There, I said it.
    I know you don't like GAA but what's wrong with poor Micheal?

There, I said it.

heywhahappened.png

How could you not love the way Mícheál could go from English to Gaeilge in one sentence? :D:);)

Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh was a great commentator.

He brought great colour, passion and personality to every game.

• Advertisement

Not looking too shabby for 85.

Mícheál Ó Muircheartaigh was a great commentator.

He brought great colour, passion and personality to every game.
    I didn't really appreciate him until I had to endure Ger Canning's commentary :(

How could you not love the way Mícheál could go from English to Gaeilge in one sentence? :D:);)

I used to love the Hospital Requests he did while the ball was in play :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I know you don't like GAA but what's wrong with poor Micheal?

Great commentator, great voice... but he seriously considered running for the presidency in 2011. The very fact that he even thought about it suggests a certain level of extreme self-importance. I mean, imagine if George Hamilton decided that he'd like to become head of state...

I didn't really appreciate him until I had to endure Ger Canning's commentary :(

You could say the same for Mícheál O'Hehir.

What a desperate shame his stroke came just as he was preparing for his 100th All-Ireland final commentary... :(:(:(

Where to start? He's so annoying with his constantly throwing Irish into a conversation. He talks about GAA players like they are God's gift to humanity. He's the old reliable big fish in the small pond that RTE drags out every so often. His accent is a right pain to listen to. He's, quite simply, past it - and I speak as a 71 year old myself. And so much more......

Great commentator, great voice... but he seriously considered running for the presidency in 2011. The very fact that he even thought about it suggests a certain level of extreme self-importance. I mean, imagine if George Hamilton decided that he'd like to become head of state...

That's unfair, IMHO. :o:o:o

Where to start? He's so annoying with his constantly throwing Irish into a conversation. He talks about GAA players like they are God's gift to humanity. He's the old reliable big fish in the small pond that RTE drags out every so often. His accent is a right pain to listen to. He's, quite simply, past it - and I speak as a 71 year old myself. And so much more......

As is this. :o:o:o

Ray, In my opinion, his life and work experience made him more qualified to run than Sean Gallagher.

He sounded a bit like 'Tyrone Man' aka Kevin McAleer then :D

''We would gather around the tv...all the way around. Eventually, somebody would turn the tv on.''

Can't disagree with Mícheál - Clare's hurlers winning the All-Ireland in '95 was a very special moment. :):):)

• Advertisement

I couldn't disagree more, to be honest.

He could make any dull National League game sound like the game of the decade. RTE were blessed to have him and Micheal O'Hehir around at the same time. Very different styles but both brought a lot to their games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Just an experiment worth trying, turn down the sound on a televised GAA match between 2 big teams whose players you are familiar with and try to commentate on it for a few minutes without leaving any silences.

It will show just how difficult it is to be a commentator!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I could listen to him all day.

That thing about not mentioning which player had been sent off was because RTE were concerned they would be sued for defamation of character.

That's unfair, IMHO. :o:o:o

As is this. :o:o:o

Well, you know, that's what makes life. We all have our opinions and a right to watch who we like. Hence a choice of channels and programmes.
    It's not unfair at all: just an honest opinion.

I couldn't disagree more, to be honest.

He could make any dull National League game sound like the game of the decade. RTE were blessed to have him and Micheal O'Hehir around at the same time. Very different styles but both brought a lot to their games.

You are assuming everybody has the slightest interest in GAA. We don't all you know!

They really should have saved Mícheál till last.

Sarah and the others simply won't be as entertaining, I'm afraid to say... :o:o:o:o

Can't disagree with Mícheál - Clare's hurlers winning the All-Ireland in '95 was a very special moment. :):):)
    My grandfather, a proud Clare man was born in 1912, Clare won their first All Ireland Hurling Final in 1914.

In 1932, Clare lost an All Ireland Final, my grandfather cycled the long journey from Clare to Dublin and back home again.

He dreamed of seeing Clare win an All Ireland in his lifetime but alas it never happened, he passed away three years before the great 1995 win.

It may seem like a silly dream ....... but hey, there is nothing wrong with being proud of your place, your traditions and your jersey.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,482 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I absolutely love Micheál. could listen to him forever. Marty Morrissey however....

• Advertisement

You are assuming everybody has the slightest interest in GAA. We don't all you know!

To be fair, if you have no interest in GAA I don't know what more the man can do to win you over!

Advertisement