Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenstar vs. Panda for waste collection

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭GAFF

Zaph wrote: »
    I can't see anything on their website. Got a link?

It was over the phone....so I dont really want to post price not available to view on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

GAFF wrote: »
    Panda now appear to have Pay by weight prices available.
    They do appear cheaper than Greenstar (if you get the 6moths free from them.

It appears BOTH GreenStar & Panda will charge lift & weigh for BOTH Black & Brown bins.

I'm not sure what the weight of an average bin is.....but on my calculations (using a 40Kg in each bin I put out) this Pay by weight system is going to mean €€€€€€ for the bin companies.

This is what I was warning about in my earlier posts. Panda WILL be pay-by-weight and per lift.

Where is the information, highlighted above, available

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Awaaf

I did a quick tot of my bin weights over the last few years and it seems to be 22kg per lift on average (its quite variable even though I only put it out when its full).

Are Panda charging for Brown bins? The rep I spoke to stated that Panda WILL NOT charge for Brown bins IF pay-by-weight is introduced.

The Brown bin is significantly heavier than the other bins (even if the charge is 15.7c per Kg) which will make it very expensive over the year

The rates I got were over the phone, AND included a Lift and weight charge for the Brown bin. As they aren't officially up on their website I'd rather not post them online

My black bin currently outside weights about 40Kg (excluding bin weight).
    Brown bin - not sure average weight, but currently put out x26 times a year, if this gets reduced (to save lift costs) to x13 with pay by lift with a 30Kg weight then I estimate combined bin cost will be €50 extra compared to Pandas current €110 per year and €9.35 x 9 Black bin lifts.

• Advertisement

The rates I got were over the phone, AND included a Lift and weight charge for the Brown bin. As they aren't officially up on their website I'd rather not post them online

My black bin currently outside weights about 40Kg (excluding bin weight).
    Brown bin - not sure average weight, but currently put out x26 times a year, if this gets reduced (to save lift costs) to x13 with pay by lift with a 30Kg weight then I estimate combined bin cost will be €50 extra compared to Pandas current €110 per year and €9.35 x 9 Black bin lifts.

The rates I was quoted, when I pushed the rep from Panda, was 15.7c per Kg for the brown bin with no standing charge.

If your brown bin is 30kg that would mean €4.71 for the weight x 13 times a year is €61.23

The rate I was given for the back bin was (I think) 25.7c per Kg so at 40Kg that would equate to €10.28 for the black bin.

I can't understand why the waste companies don't clearly publish their charges :rolleyes:

As well as that it means the Panda rep straight out lied to me when I called a couple of weeks age - there is no way that this only came in, in the last few days & the staff had not known

This is what I was quote. I get the impression they are still figuring out the prices.

12 month service
    Black €52 ...€2.56 per lift and €0.21cent per kilo
    Brown €17.60 ...€2.00 lift and €0.13 cent per kilo (funny thing is I just realised in another email they quoted €0.16 per kilo)
    Green bin is free every two weeks.

ejabrod wrote: »
    I can't understand why the waste companies don't clearly publish their charges :rolleyes:
    Then there would be COMPETITION :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭skippy15

I phoned Panda, mentioned greenstar and was almost immediately offered the free 6 months (€55 credited to my Panda account)
    Happy days- get on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Hey all, got a leaflet in the post from Greenstar offering 6 months bin collection for free and guaranteed lowest price after that, minimum 6 months contract. Went on their website and they have very little further info about it.
    Just wondering if anyone on here uses them, any recommendations or feedback about their service would be great.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Threads merged

• Registered Users Posts: 5,838 ✭✭✭jeffk

The glass thing is annoying as the brother is a vegetarian and has loads of jars from the vegetables and we have to bring them to the village

Herself lives in Navan and they don’t pay extra and just put the glass in

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭tinyter28

eire1 wrote: »
    Hey all, got a leaflet in the post from Greenstar offering 6 months bin collection for free and guaranteed lowest price after that, minimum 6 months contract. Went on their website and they have very little further info about it.
    Just wondering if anyone on here uses them, any recommendations or feedback about their service would be great.
    Thanks

Hi Eire1,

Did you go with Greenstar in the end? I've recently moved up here and need to sort a bin company out. Do you need to by tags for them or does it just debit you account every time its lifted? Am new to the whole owning own bins thing :)

Would anyone recommend Panda over greenstar? Everyone in the estate seems to have panda bins (Linnetfield)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

I've used Panda since Fingal stopped collecting bins, Never once had a problem with them, Got the vague leaflet from Greenstar at the start of the year, stuck with Panda, If it aint broke dont fix it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭whatsername42

I changed from panda to greenstar a week ago and was told that panda would be in touch to collect their bins. So far I've heard nothing from panda. Does anyone know what timeframe panda collect their bins or do I have to ring them? Greenstar got me to complete a form telling panda I was changing companies and asking panda to pick up their bins and said they would sort it.

Anyone gotten charged by weight yet by Panda?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

They'll just arrive up one day and collect them. Took them about 3 weeks when I changed to Oxigen.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

Changed to panda recently, previous house owners had the red bins, Greenstar?, does any know will they take back their red bins, don't fancy having six bins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

miss misty wrote: »
    Changed to panda recently, previous house owners had the red bins, Greenstar?, does any know will they take back their red bins, don't fancy having six bins

Red bins are city bin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

Ok sorry that's who they are, new to all this household stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

i everybody,
    I am trying to setup waste collection in my new house, but I cannot understand few things.

I would like to try greenstar as I am not really happy with panda.

I've seen on the website
    "We collect
    twice every
    four weeks"

what does it mean?
    I know with panda I put out black bin on Monday when I need it with a tag, and recycle alternate Mondays.
    What is "twice every four weeks"?

(I requested a call back but didn't hear anything yet)

thanks

Can anybody at all post a link to Panda's pricing structure.

I have been on their website ans it would seem like they do not have their charges listed???!!!

Patww79 wrote: »

Thanks for the reply. I'm more interested in the Pay By Weight charges that should be kicking in around this/next month (even though I was told last December by a Panda rep that Panda "would not be going to PBW")

Aaaa! It seems that in Jan of this year the gov't 'postponed' the PBW system - http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/plans-for-paybyweight-waste-collection-shelved-30927779.html

Aaaa! It seems that in Jan of this year the gov't 'postponed' the PBW system - http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/plans-for-paybyweight-waste-collection-shelved-30927779.html

We actually do recycle a lot and from my figures all this PBW system is going to do is increase the cost of bin collection (PBW v current system, I actually weighted my current bins).

If they are wanting to promote recycling then why put a unit weight charge on the brown compost bin.

We actually do recycle a lot and from my figures all this PBW system is going to do is increase the cost of bin collection (PBW v current system, I actually weighted my current bins).

If they are wanting to promote recycling then why put a unit weight charge on the brown compost bin.

Yes, it will increase the cost of bin collections - to the consumer.

This has nothing to do with promoting recycling. It has to do with, as with everything else in this country, revenue.

The reality is that we should be paying nothing for the brown bin, as this organic waste is reused and generates even more profit afaik.

• Advertisement

Yes, it will increase the cost of bin collections - to the consumer.

This has nothing to do with promoting recycling. It has to do with, as with everything else in this country, revenue.

The reality is that we should be paying nothing for the brown bin, as this organic waste is reused and generates even more profit afaik.
    Quoting the article above in relation to lower bills "While not obliged to do so, companies will be allowed to offer a pay-by-weight billing system to customers who recycle and compost waste which, under the new system, would result in lower bills"

Advertisement