Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers' Flat Rate Expenses: claim them

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

linguist wrote: »
    Sorry Arlessienne, my edit and your follow up post seem to have met half way!

Thanks I had totally missed Geuze's post there. That seems to explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

TheDriver wrote: »
    I get it automatically every year. Nothing else to claim bar med etc
    You can go back four years. It should stay with you unless you change job.

I was just checking under MyAccount in Revenue tonight that my Flat Rate Expenses were automatically renewed and they were, except for €126 rather than for €518, which is what I claimed for a few years ago. So I'd advise everybody to check you're getting the right amount.

Click on 'Flat Rate Expenses List' on this website for what every teacher is entitled to claim in 2017:

Flat Rate Expenses 2017

Guys just to update this, I've had flatrate expenses listed on my PAYE form for years but I never checked the amount. Turns out I've been underclaiming (only 90e instead of the 518 odd it should be). Do log into your PAYE anytime and check what it is listed as!

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    Cool just checked it and I've been getting 475!!! and it should be 518... where the heck did the 475 come from though?

Interesting that other people here have the same experience. Haven't a clue where my €126 tax credit came from either, other than it's the lowest figure available to a teacher. It seems it's not just happening to me. Teachers should be double checking everything. This money is hard-earned so we all should be aware of our entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I've a figure for FRE of €599, where did that come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shivpepper

Hi all, just going to claim my expenses and I have a query. I started my job (part time teacher-full hours) on 7th Deceber 2016- do I claim for full hours then? Sorry if it's a silly question!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'm giving up. I have the expenses showing as €599 but when I click on it it's telling me I haven't claimed it the education €518. Totally confused so going to just ring them tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I've just logged into the Revenue for the first time this year. My Flat Rate Expenses for 2017 is only listed as €103.60 for some reason - I checked back and it was €518 every other year. I tried to edit it on the site but the choices for different types of teachers is confusing - like "part time teacher (on full hours)" and "other teachers including Teaching Council fee". If I choose the"other teachers" one it comes out as €583 - would this be right? I spoke to Revenue on the phone before about the TC allowance and they assured me it was already being claimed - but was it if it was just the €518 tax credit? I'm afraid to change the credit and end up owing them something if I get it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭grind gremlin

I've just logged into the Revenue for the first time this year. My Flat Rate Expenses for 2017 is only listed as €103.60 for some reason - I checked back and it was €518 every other year. I tried to edit it on the site but the choices for different types of teachers is confusing - like "part time teacher (on full hours)" and "other teachers including Teaching Council fee". If I choose the"other teachers" one it comes out as €583 - would this be right? I spoke to Revenue on the phone before about the TC allowance and they assured me it was already being claimed - but was it if it was just the €518 tax credit? I'm afraid to change the credit and end up owing them something if I get it wrong.
    If you multiply €103.60 by 5 you get a figure of €518. The flat rate expenses rate increases your cut-off point by €518 which actually equates to an additional tax credit of €103.60..... I hope this makes sense (I could be misunderstanding the way this works but I think my reading of it means you have right figure).

If you multiply €103.60 by 5 you get a figure of €518. The flat rate expenses rate increases your cut-off point by €518 which actually equates to an additional tax credit of €103.60..... I hope this makes sense (I could be misunderstanding the way this works but I think my reading of it means you have right figure).

Thanks, yes that seems to be the case and fits in with what Geuze has posted previously. What confused me this time is that in the past (previous tax years) the headline amount listed in the overview section of the site has always been €518 and suddenly this year it's listed as €103.60. I think the site has become less user friendly than ever.

I wonder about the €583 figure though - that would account for another €65, equal to TC fees. We are supposed to get something for TC fees so are we getting it with the €518 (or €103.60 equivalent) amount?

Advertisement