Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC/Laptop Help - Can' t Play DVD'S - Windows 8.1

Options
  • 20-07-2015 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi, I am looking for a solution for a problem I have with my laptop. The laptop is a HP Notebook 15-R160SA. The laptop has windows 8.1, but I can't play dvds on it. I have windows media player and vlc player installed but nothing seems to happen. I have tried a few fixes that I found online such as registry edits, commands, troubleshootings and other stuff. When I go to this PC DVD RW Drive (E) and the name of the dvd comes up but when I click on it all that happens is 2 folders come up, one is AUDIO_TS and the other is VIDEO_TS. No idea whats up but if anyone could help that would be great. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

Have you tried right clicking the dvd folder scroll down to the "open with" option and choosing vlc player. I don't think W8.1 can play dvd's natively.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Or Use Media->Open Folder or Media->Open Disc from VLC menu

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

jca wrote: »
    Have you tried right clicking the dvd folder scroll down to the "open with" option and choosing vlc player. I don't think W8.1 can play dvd's natively.

Nope doesn't give me the option to open with when I right click it.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Or Use Media->Open Folder or Media->Open Disc from VLC menu

Don't see where you do that in VLC. All I can see when I open VLC is: Home, Music, Videos and File Explorer. When I go into file explorer nothing comes up in videos.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

SW98 wrote: »
    Don't see where you do that in VLC. All I can see when I open VLC is: Home, Music, Videos and File Explorer. When I go into file explorer nothing comes up in videos.

Make sure your not using the "app" VLC and the Windows classic version instead. Download the classic version here

Nick

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Make sure your not using the "app" VLC and the Windows classic version instead. Download the classic version here

Nick

OH yeah got the proper one now, problem solved after a long time, thanks a Mil. Once I installed VLC and put the DVD in it opened up and played.

Advertisement