Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wetherspoons - The Great Wood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I have two tickets left for 4pm Saturday, first to PM me gets them.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

Arciphel wrote: »
    I have two tickets left for 4pm Saturday, first to PM me gets them.

PM Sent:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

I'm getting two tickets for Saturday.

Happy days!

Just out of here. I will write more later but suffice to say the comment about it being a disaster are completely wide of the mark. The staff and service would put many established pubs to shame.

Any spares?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

4 of us had dinner and drinks compliments of Arciphel, suffice to say it was only amazing.

Food was fabulous: portions were huge, hot and yum yum......

Service was efficient, courteous, timely and with a smile.

It's so big and spacious with oodles of seating, not a bit crowded.

We were given a voucher for a meal and a drink each and another voucher to get a second drink each.

It was a very generous welcome, one which many other places could learn from. It surpassed all of our expectations and we will definitely be back.

Thanks so much Arciphel, it was greatly appreciated.

10/10 from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Just back from a fortnight in majorca. Sick I missed one of these for later today :(

Good to hear the positive report though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭wandererz

Any tickets left?

All mine are gone sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Good to hear they have the basics sorted, what will make or break this place is the clientele. Their door staff will have to be top notch or the name change and change of ownership will mean nothing.

Really hope it works out. I'm not a huge fan of any of the local hostelries for a night out. Grand for a drink or two but not somewhere you'd stay for the night. Would love it if this place turned out to be that kind of a bar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭jeffk

Arciphel wrote:
    Jeff, I just checked - some of them are for Friday if thats any use to you? Let me know!

Sorry only seeing it now.

Thanks for the offer, the wedding was yesterday and going for some afters thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Yes the bouncers will have to be very good if this is to be a drinkable spot. In the Dun Laoighre one the only trouble is on the weekend, but ultimately cheap drink entices scumbags young and old and as Blanch has probably a bigger catchment area and would be considered a good bit tougher than Dun Laoighre I can see there being a lot of trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

To be fair they take security seriously, zero tolerance for drunks. In Dun Laoghaire you'd have 7 or 8 security on on weekend nights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

So it seems that someone has set up an unnoficial facebook like page for this place. The first review is someone giving out that they went up and were refused entry because they hadn't been invited and they should have just been let in since they'd traveled so far... :rolleyes:

There's an official facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/thegreatwoodjdw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

I know there's invites out in general population for tomorrow afternoon / evening. If anyone wants to part with any for a 5.00pm or thereabouts sitting, it'd me much appreciated :)

Arciphel wrote: »
    There's an official facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/thegreatwoodjdw

I know :) which is why I states that the one I saw is unofficial.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Well I'd a lovely 5.30pm sitting! Thank you Arciphel!

It's certainly evident that it was a training weekend. The staff are young and dare I say nervous. A little inexperienced too. So they will need to really work hard to get to the required standard by Tuesday and particularly by next weekend.

The food while a little slow coming was top notch! We had fish and chips, beef burger, chili beef tortilla and lasagne and chips. All excellent.

Prices are excellent too. Very good value dare I even say, cheap?! This does worry me about the crowd it will attract from the locale. Security will need to keep a close eye.

I can see myself coming here for a late lunch or an early dinner on Saturday or Sunday. But I will be eating, one drink and out.

Loved the interior decor. It's a nice bar/resto - not an easy task considering the size. I don't think I'd describe it a a pub funnily enough though.
    I particularly loved the local references in the decor - they have a fantastic big quote on the wall about the blanchardtown brass band. Hey! They should have the band there for the opening!!!!

Overall it gets massive big thumbs up from me.

Thank you again Arciphel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Larbre34 wrote: »
    To be fair they take security seriously, zero tolerance for drunks. In Dun Laoghaire you'd have 7 or 8 security on on weekend nights

Yeah the bouncers are quite good there, very fair, will throw you out quickly if you're causing trouble but if you're there to have a few drinks with the lads or lassies they're very sound I've found.
    amdublin wrote: »

Prices are excellent too. Very good value dare I even say, cheap?! This does worry me about the crowd it will attract from the locale. Security will need to keep a close eye.

Thank you again Arciphel.

I think overall the place will be a success, and a great spot during the week for pints. The sharing platters are great too btw, would recommend if you're there with two or three mates. On Saturdays I can see it being very hectic, and will attract a few too many scumbags, though that is typical of Ireland so can hardly blame the pub for that. If the bouncers are good it will be no more of a problem than the usual pubs. Will definitely check out the Blanch one when it's open.

For the people there how does it compare size wise to the Dun Laoighre or Blackrock one? I'm a big fan of the DL one because it's so big seats aren't normally an issue, the Blackrock one you can be waiting an age to find a four seater.

Not one to usually go to pubs for dinner with the kiddos but does anyone reckon it'd be ok to bring them for dinner there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

went there at 8pm last night seeing it was open but was told it was a pre opening and by invite only

they were nice enough to give us coupons for a meal and drinks so cheers

had the lamb curry and chilli con carne, and it was lovely

alot of their beers weren't in stock but I am sure that'll be sorted at the official launch

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

January wrote: »
    Not one to usually go to pubs for dinner with the kiddos but does anyone reckon it'd be ok to bring them for dinner there?

Yes.

...early dinner like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,386 ✭✭✭fletch

Went here on Friday with a voucher I got from work and was very impressed. Food was excellent and served quickly. Like the spacious feeling too. Also like how you pay for your food first and then it's brought to your tables so cuts out the messing with bills...
    As I was leaving a lady outside asked was it open...when I said no that it was invite only she hit the roof and said it wasn't fair and that she could see people inside eating and drinking...and with that stormed in the door. As I drove away I saw her walking off with her tail between her legs :-)

She must have been the one who put that review on the unofficial page :D

There's a big sign outside saying grand opening 30th June.
    Tbf they can have who they like in it at other times.

When I saw people in it on Friday night I was thinking oh that's probably workmen who have been working on it...sometimes pub do that. ..

The training weekend is a good idea. Fair play to them with the free meal and drink (one ticket when you went in) and the second drink ticket (given to you when you went in also).

amdublin wrote: »
    Yes.

...early dinner like.

Haha, yes we usually go out to eat once a week on a weekday about 2/3pm so nice and early!

January wrote: »
    Haha, yes we usually go out to eat once a week on a weekday about 2/3pm so nice and early!

God yeah. A week day I reckon it'd be perfect for you.

I dread to think what sat/sun will be like for the next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

I went there yesterday thanks to Archiphep.

Lovely pub, food great. No seats at the bar however and the toilets are in the basement.

I got talking to one of the managers. He told me that the pint of Beamish would be E3.50. I thought I had misheard him and asked did he mean E2.50 like in the Blackrock weatherspoons. No 3.50 was the correct price. He said that they had made a mistake in their pricing in Blackrock and would be soon putting up their prices in line with Blanch.

Bearing mind that in other pubs Beamish is normally .50 cents cheaper than Guinness, so I presume that a lot of their other pints will be E4.00 - E4.50.

I thought it was too good to be true, drink a couple of pints and the amount you save would pay for a taxi home.

We were on the second floor and there were toilets up there too (as well as basemenr)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Murt10 Spoons never have seat at the bar, it strictly for ordering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The Beamish pricing is to do with the Heineken peace accord, however there are other stouts to be had for €2.50 and occasional specials at €1.95

Advertisement