Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A jew took my shoe according to Muslim political activist Asghar Bukhari #MossadStoleMyShoe

one of the comments - I immediately issued a Footwah. :pac:

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

A US-based christian evangelist is collecting money to provide starving, homeless Iraqi refugees with bibles

http://www.biblesforiraq.org/
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/06/17/christian-evangelist-raising-money-to-give-bibles-to-starving-homeless-iraqi-refugees/
    [...] we have an opportunity to purchase special solar-powered audio Bible devices that can reach illiterate Iraqis by bringing the people the Scriptures at the touch of a button. These audio Bibles will be uploaded with both the Old and New Testaments, programmed for dual languages—Arabic and Kurdish—and will provide many Iraqis who may never otherwise hear the gospel the opportunity to receive the power of God unto salvation. We hope to take these audio Bibles to northern Iraq later this year and put them in the hands of a people who have been more devastated and displaced than any other people group. Will you join with us as we work to reach our goal of $30,000 to purchase 1,000 audio Bibles?
    353044.jpeg

It costs $30 for a CD? Or a dictaphone?

Terrible value.

It costs $30 for a CD?
    Nope - around 30 euro for one of these (preacher not included):

353046.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Something tells me there's a high mark-up on those.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Something tells me there's a high mark-up on those.
    Probably distributed through Haliburton, so there's your 100% markup straight away. And they'll be needing a private security firm such as Blackwater or Greystones or whatever to protect the staff from the ungrateful natives.

Couldn't George W Bush just write a cheque for the whole €30,000, and save all the hassle of this fundraising?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Saw on the news today about the terrible heatwave in Pakistan and how it's being exacerbated by Ramadan rules not allowing people to hydrate properly.

Now apparently clerics are allowing people to break the fast for medical reasons. But someone undergoing heatstroke may not necessarily realise how bad the condition is until it's too late

http://www.ibtimes.com/pakistan-ramadan-heat-wave-fatwa-islamic-cleric-let-muslims-break-fast-amid-scorching-1981986

Another example, if one were needed, of the idiocy of religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Anyone looking at wry amusement at the reaction from AAA to the situation in Greece?

http://antiausterityalliance.ie/2015/03/lessons-from-greece-how-can-the-troika-be-defeated/

Definitely a 'Hazard of belief' in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It's not a religion and there's already a thread for that though.

Life ain't always empty.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

It's not a religion and there's already a thread for that though.

This is a thread titled 'Hazards of Belief', note the belief part.

People who hold onto an ideological position or belief, contrary to all evidence, reason and rationality would fit the bill. It does not matter if one is a bible thumping Christian in the MidWest or a die-hard Marxist in Greece, they both believe in something that can be hazardous and to an extent, dangerous.

The current ideological dogma that the current government of Greece are promoting is certainly a hazard to ordinary Greeks.

I made similar reference to Sinn Fein/IRA earlier in this thread and no one had much of an issue as people are intelligent to know that hazardous beliefs can cover a whole spectrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

jank wrote: »
    This is a thread titled 'Hazards of Belief', not the belief part.

I always took it to mean 'Hazards of Religious Belief'.

Perhaps a little clarification is necessary.

Well IMO a little leeway is in order, if the topic is sufficiently interesting.
    But that "Greek crisis" just goes on, and on, and on.

And anyway, who's to say whether all their bluff and bluster has been hazardous or not. In the end they may end up with some concessions, that's if they do stay in the eurozone. And if they leave, there's an argument to say that's beneficial to them too. Default and devalue.

recedite wrote: »

And anyway, who's to say whether all their bluff and bluster has been hazardous or not.In the end they may end up with some concessions, that's if they do stay in the eurozone. And if they leave, there's an argument to say that's beneficial to them too. Default and devalue.

It's very safe to suggest this when you'd struggle to find even a single economic indicator that's improved since January.....

The gamble has been to quit work to study freeman law in order to try to get out of your mortgage. Perhaps it works, perhaps the mortgage interest is written off the capital and you are off the hook for 30% of it, but you now have no job to service even that 70% and you've spent months insulting each and every employer around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

recedite wrote: »

And anyway, who's to say whether all their bluff and bluster has been hazardous or not. In the end they may end up with some concessions, that's if they do stay in the eurozone. And if they leave, there's an argument to say that's beneficial to them too. Default and devalue.

Frankly they, and us, should never have been saddled with German, UK and US junk bond derived debt which was based off essentially insolvent banks.

In fact the only reason Germany has a financial sector at the moment is because Merkel is bleeding the 'PIIGS' white.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

In fact the only reason Germany has a financial sector at the moment is because Merkel is bleeding the 'PIIGS' white.
    Bleeding them white by asking them to repay what they borrowed? Scandalous :)
    More likely their financial sector is healthy because they saved when other countries borrowed, they deflated by abandoning the Deutschmark and entering the Euro, they reformed their labour market and cut their industry costs, all of which made them sufficiently competitive to become one of the biggest net exporting economies in the world, with the highest trade surplus in the world.
    I think there may be a little more reason for them having a healthy financial sector than they ask people to pay what they owe...... though it probably doesn't hurt either.

Frankly they, and us, should never have been saddled with German, UK and US junk bond derived debt which was based off essentially insolvent banks.

That's not at all where Greece's debt comes from.

greece-government-budget.png?s=wcsdgrc&d1=19950101&d2=20151231

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"Bristol Palin says she's pregnant for a second time.
    The daughter of 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin announced the pregnancy on her blog Thursday. Her representative, David Martin, and Palin family lawyer John Tiemessen confirmed the blog post."

Palin was 18 when her mother was selected by US Sen. John McCain to be his running mate in the 2008 presidential election. Shortly after the selection, it was announced that Bristol was pregnant.

Sarah Palin said Bristol and the baby's father, later revealed to be Levi Johnston, would marry, but the couple eventually ended the relationship.

Bristol Palin later became a paid spokeswoman advocating abstinence and warning against teenage pregnancies. She twice performed on Dancing with the Stars and had a short-lived cable television show, Life's a Tripp"
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/celebrities/69733081/abstinence-advocate-bristol-palin-pregnant-for-the-second-time

If she was going to be a hypocrite, she could at least have done herself a favour and researched the oul contraception.....for her own sake if no one elses.

Another miracle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,212 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

If she wants privacy, as she claims to, why put it out there through all her social channels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Was this another immaculate conception?

From Bristol's announcement: "At the end of the day there's nothing I can't do with God by my side"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

That's not at all where Greece's debt comes from.

greece-government-budget.png?s=wcsdgrc&d1=19950101&d2=20151231

Graph is meaningless, it doesn't quantify the numbers.

Graph is meaningless, it doesn't quantify the numbers.

The numbers are on the left, it's €bn in budget deficit/surplus...

Greece's debt is Sovereign debt from living beyond their means and not paying taxes to support that lifestyle.

There's no 'assumed debt', it's almost wholly from overspending, and under-collecting.

The numbers are on the left, it's €bn in budget deficit/surplus...

it's actually % of GDP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:HellenicOeconomy(inCurrentEuros).png

Life ain't always empty.

apologies, you are correct

Here's where I pulled the graph from.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/greece/government-budget

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Kivaro wrote: »
    Was this another immaculate conception?

From Bristol's announcement: "At the end of the day there's nothing I can't do with God by my side"

Other than abstain, have her prayer answered that she is not actually pregnant, keep her gob shut.....

Abstinence doesn't work, Jesus is the proof!

Life ain't always empty.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Looks like the Second Coming to me.

"At the end of the day there's nothing I can't do with God by my side, on top, underneath, from behind..."

Life ain't always empty.

At least you didn't pull it out of your ass :D
    Notice that the Greek deficit is listed at 3.5%; not too bad really, and less than the UK deficit at 5.7%.
    And most of their bailout money is being spent on servicing other loans. They are caught in a cycle of debt. Also Greek GDP has got worse since 2008 austerity measures. Unemployment is now above 25%.
    A proper monetary policy towards Greece would centre on getting the best utilisation of their resources; ie on setting up industry and employment. Repayment of debt to ECB would be postponed, and made secondary to stimulus. Interest would only be charged at the inflation rate, if at all. There is absolutely no justification for the IMF or the ECB charging high interest on money that they have just magicked into existence themselves.

Germany by contrast has plenty of industry and employment.
    The average Joe Bloggs in Germany can borrow money at less than 2% to buy a house, whereas an identical punter in Ireland pays more than twice that on a mortgage, despite all this money being magicked into existence at the ECB in Frankfurt, and at no cost to anyone. Why the uneven playing field? It all comes down to faith. Germans are more trusted than Irish or Greeks not to default on a loan.
    Unfortunately this becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy; it is quite likely the Greeks will have no alternative but to default in order to escape from crippling interest payments.
    Once the debt burden is repudiated, the economy springs back to life, runs a surplus, people have jobs, pay taxes, cheer up. The IMF will throw a hissy fit and will not lend to them then, but they won't need to borrow if running a surplus. Only the loan sharks suffer.
    The answer to Greece's problem lies in MMT.

• Advertisement

Good luck with that.

Economic homeopathy. Tremendous irony you mention MMT in a thread called ''The Hazards of Belief'

The Simpsons do the budget problem the easiest example, remember Homer was in charge of the bins? That was Greece, for the last 15 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement