Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changing jobs within Education

Options
  • 25-06-2015 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

New to Boards so not sure if I am even in the right forum.

I need advice.
    I am a primary school teacher and need a change.
    I have taught for ten years across all levels and recently went for principalship (unsuccessfully)

The work that I put in to the interview and application made me think that I could use all that work to apply for other jobs within the world of education.

I have done alot of work in Special Educational Needs and have alot of experience with all the outside agencies etc.

I have a primary degree, an H-Dip and a M.Ed in Leadership and Management.

I am starting to look into secondment, jobs with colleges, jobs within the dept.

Has anyone made the transition from a school?
    Has anyone any other ideas on where I could apply and what jobs to go for.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance .

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Hi all,

New to Boards so not sure if I am even in the right forum.

I need advice.
    I am a primary school teacher and need a change.
    I have taught for ten years across all levels and recently went for principalship (unsuccessfully)

The work that I put in to the interview and application made me think that I could use all that work to apply for other jobs within the world of education.

I have done alot of work in Special Educational Needs and have alot of experience with all the outside agencies etc.

I have a primary degree, an H-Dip and a M.Ed in Leadership and Management.

I am starting to look into secondment, jobs with colleges, jobs within the dept.

Has anyone made the transition from a school?
    Has anyone any other ideas on where I could apply and what jobs to go for.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks in advance .
    A friend of mine is thinking of taking early retirement and going into play therapy. You can train for it, and there are jobs in hospitals and of course private practice. Very rewarding, I should think.

But it sounds like you are looking more for something administrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 oktoberfest

Thanks Katydid,

Play therapy is not something that I would be into.
    I agree with you, I think that I am looking into something more administrative or working with adults and not children.
    I cant seem to find anywhere that offers advice or information on moving within education.
    I don't want to leave education as I have spent ten years building up experience and my own education so I don't want to leave it altogether.

Thanks again katydid and anymore advice would be great.
    Thanks,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Thanks Katydid,

Play therapy is not something that I would be into.
    I agree with you, I think that I am looking into something more administrative or working with adults and not children.
    I cant seem to find anywhere that offers advice or information on moving within education.
    I don't want to leave education as I have spent ten years building up experience and my own education so I don't want to leave it altogether.

Thanks again katydid and anymore advice would be great.
    Thanks,
    How about training NQT's and other teachers? I know someone who does that - part time, outside their teaching job. But they have been offered secondment to the department (and turned it down, because they want to continue teaching children)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 oktoberfest

That sounds exactly like something that I would be into .

I wouldn't even know where to start looking. I can't seem to find anything on the dept website.

How did your friend get into it?? I would even be interested in the secondment part.

Thanks again katydid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Crazyteacher

That sounds exactly like something that I would be into .

I wouldn't even know where to start looking. I can't seem to find anything on the dept website.

How did your friend get into it?? I would even be interested in the secondment part.

Thanks again katydid

Get in touch with the NIPT of the PDST. They run the NQT induction programme. They might be glad to get you.

Th second thing I would suggest is applying to the various colleges for primary ed for inspecting teaching practice and lecturing in the college. I see Hibernia usually have some form on their website.

Also keep an eye on public jobs.ie. You can register on their website to be kept informed of all upcoming education related jobs not just principal jobs.

• Advertisement
Advertisement