Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

22 year old behaving like a 2 year old

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

this is a concerning story alright and it looks like the op isnt alone. theres gonna be many disconnected young people at the end of this recession. this needs to be dealt with immediately. op i am concerned your daughter is suffering from depression. shes showing signs of it. i would advise discussing this with a gp as i and others have recommended. best of luck with it. tough one to deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Jellybaby1 wrote:
    This has been suggested earlier. Can you suggest how she can pay rent while on a FAS course?

House shares. I shared a house with someone who was on social welfare for a few months. Think his room was in around 300 per month and he didn't get any rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Some have criticised the OP for having a second key to her daughter's room. Well, I certainly do not criticise that. Continuing my story. One day I smelled smoke in the house. After a couple of minutes trying to trace where the smell came from and checking outside in case a neighbour was burning anything in the garden we were horrified to find it was coming from my son's room. He had built up so much butts and ash his last butt had set fire to it and he was fast asleep in a smoke filled room. He'd been drinking the night before and didn't wake up or smell the smoke. It took us, it seemed an age, to wake him, a big guy, we were shouting and roaring and pulling him off the bed. We threw open the windows and finally got him out and downstairs. We raised hell with him. Guess what? He was angry with us! And he said he couldn't understand why we were so angy, after all, nothing bad actually happened!!!!!!! You CANNOT allow any member of the family to lock themselves away without any access to the room. Common sense demands it. No-one actually knows what this is like unless you have actually experienced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mrsgiller

Take the lock off the door, it's your house, your rules. Also make her hand up something out of her welfare payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭WildWater

DivingDuck wrote: »
    However, there is nothing wrong with her wanting to keep her room locked, and in my opinion, you having a key to this lock and using it is a violation of her private space.

I agree with a lot of what Diving Duck had to say with the exception of the latter half of the above. Privacy is not a right it is a privilege. I agree that there is nothing wrong with wanting to keep her room locked, in fact, in many ways that that is quite healthy. It is generally the first expression of wanting ones own physical personal space. But I don't believe in granting it.

There is no way that I would agree to a child of mine enforcing their desire for privacy with a lock and key in our home. If you need that level of privacy go rent or buy your own place! Now, don't get me wrong, I will afford and respect my child's desire for privacy no problem so long as there is a healthy, respectful, mature, and adult relationship in play. If not, all bets are off! In my book you earn your privileges (the price isn't that high).

Karen, sometimes you have to be tough to be kind (I don't agree with cruel to be kind). As others have said, watch out for her mental health and make sure she knows you are acting out of love but by god, get tough. I would make a plan to go away with her for a night or two. Get away from the poisonous environment that your home has become. Then choosing your moment carefully (after you have done something fun and not long before it is time to return home) you lay down the law in a calm, loving but tough and unyielding way.

Make it clear what is acceptable and what is not. Make it clear that her privacy will be respected when it is earned! Don't go for a long list of things. I would focus on 3 to 5 key thing that will have a big impact.

eg
    That she will be respectful of you and your home.
    That she will make a positive contribution to the happiness of the home on a daily basis.
    That she is expected to clean up after herself (immediately), keep her room tidy and do her own laundry in a timely and efficient manner.
    That eating is a communal activity.
    That she is expected to make and implement a plan for her future.

To show her you are serious I would remove the lock from the door of her room. Her desire for privacy is your best weapon. If she conforms her privacy is respected but the lock is not put back. (IMO, in a mature respectful household there should be no need for locking doors.) If she doesn't conform then I would have an escalating set of measures. Next of my list, based on using her privacy desire as my weapon, would be to remove the door! Simple and highly effective. She now has a simple choice. Conform to the reasonable requests or make a plan to move out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

mrsgiller wrote: »
    Take the lock off the door, it's your house, your rules. Also make her hand up something out of her welfare payment.

Better yet, take the door off the hinges. No rent, no privacy.

I'm going to be a terrible parent some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

I am having a similar problem and it has me at the end of my nerves I just don't have the energy to deal with it any more. I have a family member 19 years old living with me and my partner for 2 years. She won't clean her room, or her mess outside of it. Won't do a thing u ask her. Speaks to me in awful ways. Mood swings all the time since she won't take her medicine. Now I can't put up with it much longer. I have health problems and the constant stress doesn't help. But she has nowhere else to go and refuses to change

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Why do people indulge their children so much????

My daughter threw a serious temper tantrum at aged 16 because I wouldn't let her go out on a school night (amongst other things).

When she slammed the door of her room in my face and barricaded it, I threw her out and told her if she wanted to so badly to be treated as an adult, she needed to start acting like one and that included living in her own accomodation.

6 hours walking around the town trying to persuade her friends parents to take her in wasn't long making her realise all that she got at home for very little effort on her part.

Never had a serious issue again, she's now 21 and has lived in her own flat (until she lost her job). She's living at home now, and she keeps her room (relatively) tidy, pays 60€ a week rent and helps with chores around the house. Never moans about the situation as she knows what my answer will be!

2 simple rules - No Rent, No Roof & If you don't like it feel free to leave!

And before someone says it, we have a great relationship. She just appreciates that I own the home and she welcome as a guest for as long as she respects my rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

House shares. I shared a house with someone who was on social welfare for a few months. Think his room was in around 300 per month and he didn't get any rent allowance.

okay but at under 25 you get 400 per month from social welfare. that leaves only 100 for bills, food, clothes, and like everything other than rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

alroley wrote: »
    okay but at under 25 you get 400 per month from social welfare. that leaves only 100 for bills, food, clothes, and like everything other than rent.

Get a fupping job then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

Under 25s can still get rent allowance after 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Deagol wrote: »
    ....Why do people indulge their children so much????....

This makes me sodding mad! Indulge? Indulge? I have NEVER 'indulged' my children to the point that I should ever have to experience what I have experienced. I never had the money to indulge our children. I've had more nights of terror than you will ever have! Do you think I did not have house rules? Do you think I never told them what to do? Do you think I never told them of their responsibilities? Do you think that I LET them do whatever they wanted? Do you think I went out enjoying myself while the children were at home running wild? We have more than the one child, but only one behaves like this. Some children react against rules. Some children don't want to be told what to do. Some children think they are Superman or Superwoman. Some children become bullies. And some children are not like that. If I INDULGED my children why don't I have a house full of children behaving badly? If you actually read my previous posts you will see that I have done the 'throwing out' bit already. Oh what's the sodding point!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I always find the locking the door thing interesting.

Growing up I never yearned to be able to lock my door. From the age of 14/15, if my door was closed, someone would knock before coming in. I knew my mother and father would go into the room to collect up any plates/glasses or dirty clothes, but I never felt like there was any snooping being done or that my privacy was in any way violated.

But I know people who did lock (or attempt) to lock their doors, and the thing they had in common was an overbearing parent. Someone who would confront them on a monthly basis about something they found or saw in their room - clearly having been in the room snooping and digging around.

I'm not saying the OP is necessarily overbearing, but at 22 something is amiss. She is locking her door because she doesn't feel boundaries are being respected unless through physical means. And the fact that the OP has used a second key to unlock the door somewhat proves that her daughter is justified in locking the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    This makes me sodding mad! Indulge? Indulge? I have NEVER 'indulged' my children to the point that I should ever have to experience what I have experienced. I never had the money to indulge our children. I've had more nights of terror than you will ever have! Do you think I did not have house rules? Do you think I never told them what to do? Do you think I never told them of their responsibilities? Do you think that I LET them do whatever they wanted? Do you think I went out enjoying myself while the children were at home running wild? We have more than the one child, but only one behaves like this. Some children react against rules. Some children don't want to be told what to do. Some children think they are Superman or Superwoman. Some children become bullies. And some children are not like that. If I INDULGED my children why don't I have a house full of children behaving badly? If you actually read my previous posts you will see that I have done the 'throwing out' bit already. Oh what's the sodding point!

Way to hijack someone else's thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

I have to step in here in support of Jellybaby as I also thought that suggesting someone is 'indulged' when they are going through a difficult time is way out of line. Nobody can understand the strain, stress, anxiety and despair of living with a troubled/troublesome teen or young adult unless they live with it on a daily basis.
    I think Karen89 will find some support and consolation in knowing she is not the only one struggling with a very difficult situation by hearing of other people's experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

matrim wrote: »
    Why is this in teens and pre-teens? Your daughter is 22 and an adult. Treat her liked one and tell her to cop on or move out.
    karen89 wrote: »
    Hi, matrim, I hope all stays well for you in your little bubble, but teens turn into 20's and I am going my best and finding it tough and need help - feel free not to follow

OP, THIS is your problem - right there, in black and white.

You posted this in Pre-Teens & Teenagers, somebody questioned why and you retorted that it was because Teens turn into 20s. Seriously - WTF? Sorry if this is blunt but you need a bit of a reality check here. This problem is happening because of you. You are treating your daughter like she is still a child. She is not. She has been an adult for the last 4 years. You saying "ah sure what can you do" is making the situation worse.

You are doing no favours to your daughter by treating her like a spoiled brat. Lay down the rules. If she doesn't like it, she can move out. But she is 22, an ADULT, and you need to start treating her like one. And that means - she contributes towards rent, bills, food, cooking, cleaning and shows some respect for other members of the household.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

What she is doing is ridiculous and you need to put the foot down.
    I know people married with kids at 22.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

karen89 wrote:
    Please help, my 22 yr old daughter is living at home and doing a fas course after getting her degree in college at 20, traveling a bit and not sure where to go from here! however, the problem is, and its a big one, she treats the home like a hotel, the biggest problem is her bedroom, she keeps her door locked, but i have a second key, she wont bring down her clothes for the was so i refuse to wash for her when she does - its a weeks worth, at least, at a time, her bedroom is like a sceen from "hoarding buried alive" there is rubbish everywhere, about 8" deep!!!!!!! I keep my house clean and tidy and this is doing my head in, we have asked her repeatedly for the past 2 weeks to clean it and no success - please help I am at my wits end and my health is suffering, I am suffering from anxiety on top of having a serious chronic illness, she does nothing to help in the house and makes no financial contribution!!!!

Out she goes.......end of problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Deagol wrote: »
    Why do people indulge their children so much????

My daughter threw a serious temper tantrum at aged 16 because I wouldn't let her go out on a school night (amongst other things).

When she slammed the door of her room in my face and barricaded it, I threw her out and told her if she wanted to so badly to be treated as an adult, she needed to start acting like one and that included living in her own accomodation.

6 hours walking around the town trying to persuade her friends parents to take her in wasn't long making her realise all that she got at home for very little effort on her part.

Never had a serious issue again, she's now 21 and has lived in her own flat (until she lost her job). She's living at home now, and she keeps her room (relatively) tidy, pays 60€ a week rent and helps with chores around the house. Never moans about the situation as she knows what my answer will be!

2 simple rules - No Rent, No Roof & If you don't like it feel free to leave!

And before someone says it, we have a great relationship. She just appreciates that I own the home and she welcome as a guest for as long as she respects my rules.

Just incase any sensible parent gets an idea from the bolded text above,
    Don't do this, my friend when we were both 15 years old got the same treatment, he was kicked out at 15 (obviously his parents thinking he'd be back home later on)
    no body could find him for 2 weeks until his remains were found in the river liffey.

Who in their right mind would throw out their young teenager? telling them to find somewere else
    you're a disgusting person to be honest

ya great relationship... maybe shes frieghtened of getting kicked out again.
    Theirs teaching a kid manners and respect and lets face it teenagers are kids, they don't know what its like in the real world.

You treat her at the moment like a tenant , shes you're daughter, stop
    giving "advice" , you're like a bloody landlord whos only itching for more money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

karen89 wrote: »
    Hi, matrim, I hope all stays well for you in your little bubble, but teens turn into 20's and I am going my best and finding it tough and need help - feel free not to follow

If you're not interested in taking other people's opinions on board then I have to wonder what the point of starting this thread was in the first place?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Elliottsmum79

shocksy wrote: »
    As the poster OU812 has stated, you need to get tough, it's your house, so your rules, she either abides by them or she finds somewhere else to live.

You have every right to go in and get dishes etc, if she doesn't like it TOUGH, let her do it herself daily.

I would do exactly as the poster OU812 said, start by telling her that she has to contribute weekly to the household, if she doesn't don't do anything for her, she will soon cop on and if not tell her to go. She won't find it so easy away from home. I'd go as far as taking the bedroom key away from her until things improve.

Be tough and in control.

Completely. Treat adults as adults. Flatmates would not accommodate a stinky flatmate for long. Shape up or ship out....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,875 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sounds to me like the daughter is suffering from depression.

This should be checked out, seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Sounds to me like the daughter is suffering from depression.

This should be checked out, seriously.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 25 michele101

This must be so stressful for you! However, as many others have suggested, maybe she's suffering from depression? Instead of only speaking to her concerning her input into the running of the house maybe you should speak to her personally and ask her if there's anything wrong because it can be really tough to speak up if someone is suffering with depression.

I'm only 18 but I have done my own cooking, laundry and cleaning since 16 without being asked. I know many people my age don't even know how to turn on a washing machine but at 22 she definitely should. As somebody has already said there are many 22 year olds with their own home and children. Maybe she's still pretty immature and lazy and needs to realize that she isn't a teenager anymore or maybe she is struggling with her mental health and is looking for attention as her cry for help. Either way, I think the only thing you can do is sit her down and sort out the problem before it gets too much for you both. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

How did this work out OP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Better yet, take the door off the hinges. No rent, no privacy.

I'm going to be a terrible parent some day.

Surprisingly not! I had my now 16 year old in counselling a while back when she was being bullied, she used to stay in her room too and I had most of the OP's problems although she was younger.

I was advised to take everything from her room except her bed and her toiletries. As she gradually accepted the house rules she got her stuff back.

First I took down the door, took her stereo,cds, makeup went to the bathroom, books laptop came to the sitting room and over the weeks and months she eventually got everything back, the door was the last thing to go up.
    We had hiccups along the way and privileges would sometimes have to be taken back but overall now shes been great.
    She's 16 now, we have our moments but because the rules of the house were laid down she knows where the boundary is. She knows when her room is like a tip I am liable to walk in with a black bag and put everything into it, I mean everything :D cups makeup and stuff has gotten ruined. So when I tell her to tidy up she goes and does it. there's no need for it.
    In your case OP, you are the adult, it is your house, YOU set the rules.
    she can like it or find somewhere else to live. Just because shes your daughter doesn't mean she can take advantage of you.
    Take her door down, bag up her stuff and make up the room as a guest room. If she wants it she can pay for the pleasure.
    If she was under 18 it would be different but she's an adult and capable of looking after herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

cbyrd wrote: »
    Surprisingly not! I had my now 16 year old in counselling a while back when she was being bullied, she used to stay in her room too and I had most of the OP's problems although she was younger.

I was advised to take everything from her room except her bed and her toiletries. As she gradually accepted the house rules she got her stuff back.

First I took down the door, took her stereo,cds, makeup went to the bathroom, books laptop came to the sitting room and over the weeks and months she eventually got everything back, the door was the last thing to go up.
    We had hiccups along the way and privileges would sometimes have to be taken back but overall now shes been great.
    She's 16 now, we have our moments but because the rules of the house were laid down she knows where the boundary is. She knows when her room is like a tip I am liable to walk in with a black bag and put everything into it, I mean everything :D cups makeup and stuff has gotten ruined. So when I tell her to tidy up she goes and does it. there's no need for it.
    In your case OP, you are the adult, it is your house, YOU set the rules.
    she can like it or find somewhere else to live. Just because shes your daughter doesn't mean she can take advantage of you.
    Take her door down, bag up her stuff and make up the room as a guest room. If she wants it she can pay for the pleasure.
    If she was under 18 it would be different but she's an adult and capable of looking after herself.

Would all that not be a bit extreme for a 22 year old woman? You'll be telling her to put her across her knee and give her a good old fashioned spanking next.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Would all that not be a bit extreme for a 22 year old woman? You'll be telling her to put her across her knee and give her a good old fashioned spanking next.

Given that my situation was for a self-harming teen with suicide tendencies, the advice I was given was to protect her. I also used this advice to create a better environment for our family during a marriage separation (also within the time she was attending). Everyone knew the boundary lines and when they were crossed the punishment was also a known.
    If a therapy group of professionals ( from gp psychiatrist group therapist and her own weekly therapist with the CARI unit) can give me these guidelines to work with within our family unit then its good enough for me.. :rolleyes:
    Also, I don't agree with spanking... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I mean really, what is this? Has 22 become the new 11?

Riot acts need to be read, ultimatums need to be given, tough love needs to be adopted.

I might, and I stress *might* give the girl a free pass if she was 19-20, but at this stage it's almost getting to the Japanese situation of having the 'child-monster' live at home in perpetuity, isolated in their own room and mental psychosis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Jim79

throw her out she wont have any choice about growing up then.
    she is 22 thats an adult BTW not a baby anymore!

Advertisement