Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving German on a shoestring budget

Options
  • 22-06-2015 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi there,

I'm doing German for the Leaving Cert,but I haven't much money to improve due to the Gaeltacht being so expensive.

I am good enough at German,but I would like to improve over the summer to give myself the edge.

All help is greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iamtheduchess

There's a shop in town with international book (different languages) maybe if you started trying to read in German. Perhaps something you've read in English first like Harry Potter so you wouldn't be totally lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

I don't know about German resources but the internet is a fantastic place to learn. Websites like Duolingo and Memrise might be able to help you out.

In addition, if you can get involved with some sort of activity that allows you to speak and interact with German, you'll learn a lot.

Furthermore, follow German media. I did Spanish and also Irish for the Leaving Cert and I followed pages like TG4 and FIFA.com on Facebook so I was always learning something even when I was slacking off. If you like football, follow Borussia Dortmund for example. The possibilities are endless here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,120 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Where in the country are you?

Free in Dublin.
    http://www.meetup.com/german-516/

Central Library, ILAC centre
    German/English Conversation Exchange: Please note: classes normally take place on Thursdays, 6 - 7.45pm

• Registered Users Posts: 42 LCBanter

There's a shop in town with international book (different languages) maybe if you started trying to read in German. Perhaps something you've read in English first like Harry Potter so you wouldn't be totally lost!

Where is the shop?

I'm in hour from Dublin Spurious :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Iamtheduchess

LCBanter wrote: »
    Where is the shop?

Near Trinity, South Frederick St I think but I'm not sure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭TheEdgeofGlory

Where is the shop?

http://www.internationalbooks.ie- I think this is the shop you were referring to?.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lalalau1

if your near Leitrim theres good courses around!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 LCBanter

Thanks for the link!

Unfortunately Laulau I'm not near Leitrim :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8 lalalau1

Thanks for the link!

Unfortunately Laulau I'm not near Leitrim :P

Maybe consider making a move to the north west then! Theres plenty of courses not too expensive here!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Try view German tv shows online on Youtube or news shows in German, you will be surprised what can be picked up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement