Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 HIV statistics released by the HSE

Options
  • 15-06-2015 11:15pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,511 CMod ✭✭✭✭

In the last few days the HSE have released the 2014 HIV statistics for Ireland, it paints a worrying picture.

MSM (Men who have sex with men)..183 (49%)
    Heterosexual Contact.....................125 (33%)
    PWID (People who inject drugs)........27 (7%)
    MCT (Mother to child transmission)....2 (1%)
    Unknown Transmission Vector...........40 (11%)

There were 377 new cases of HIV infection during 2014. This makes the national average 8.2 cases per 100,000 however the Eastern region (Dublin, Kildare and Wicklow) has double the national average at 16.1 cases per 100,000.

The category MSM (Men who have sex with men) represents the largest group so gay and bisexual men are still the highest risk group.

I found these 2014 statistics to be the most alarming;

183 cases of MSM represents the highest number ever recorded in this category
    48% of the MSM category were born in Ireland (The next highest ethnic group is Latin America at 21%)
    MSM is, and has been, the highest category every year since 2009
    The rate of MSM infection has gone from 60 cases in 2005 to 183 cases in 2014, the fastest increase across all groups
    The average age of MSM being diagnosed has dropped from 37 in previous years to 31 in 2014
    The decrease in MSM average age is due to more young people being diagnosed (Age 15-24 is 14% of MSM, Age 25-29 is 28% of MSM)
    Across all 5 categories there were 9 deaths from HIV/Aids reported to the CSO during 2014

In spite of all of the awareness there is still a huge amount of carelessness out there when hooking up, and there are plenty of threads in this forum where people have considered the risks they were exposed to only after the fact. It's usually a pretty big reality check too when that happens, and a 6-8 week wait for a test.

Lads, be safe - always.

"The problem is, God gave man a brain and a penis and only enough blood to run one at a time" - Robin Williams

HSE 2014 Report

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭jimdublin15

Very true the 2014 data is interesting.
    Just to add to your post

Today is Irish AIDS Day (15th June 2015)
    Some interviews in the Irish media today with Irish PLHIV.

TV3: Interview with Sandy (living with HIV for 16 years) speaks about his experience living with HIV and how far things have come in the past 16 years. http://www.tv3.ie/3player/show/184/94949/0/

TodayFM radio interview with two PLHIV.
    Andy an Irish gay man living with HIV for the past 9 years & Yvonne a migrant mother talks about HIV and HIV Stigma.
    http://www.todayfm.com/player/shows/The_Anton_Savage_Show/35388/living_with_hivsandy_and_yvonne

HIV Ireland's press release:
    http://www.dublinaidsalliance.ie/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=344&cntnt01origid=380&cntnt01pagelimit=5&cntnt01returnid=170

Below I've tried to attach a jpg showing past years trends as FYI.
    (not sure if the Jpg will work so typed up the numbers as well, not very good at posting with images)

MSM%--PWID%----Hetero % Total number of new HIV case
    2003 19.0 ---12.5
    2004 17.6----20.7
    2005 18.4----20.6
    2006 25.2----16.7
    2007 23.3----14.1
    2008 26.0----9.9
    2009 34.9----7.6
    2010 40.6----7.0
    2011 44.5----5.2
    2012 49.4----3.8
    2013 46.2----5.2
    http://www.hpsc.ie/A-Z/HIVSTIs/HIVandAIDS/SlideSets/

http://www.irishaidsday.com/#!/

Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

If 48% of new cases of hiv among msm were Irish, then 52% were foreign. 21% from South America were presumably largely Brazilian. While safe sex is important no matter who the partner is, I think the message here is that it's important to be extra precautious when having sex with a foreigner. Equally, it's important to get the word out to foreigners about the importance of safe sex. Many of them would have had little or no sex education in their home countries.

Aard wrote: »
    If 48% of new cases of hiv among msm were Irish, then 52% were foreign. 21% from South America were presumably largely Brazilian. While safe sex is important no matter who the partner is, I think the message here is that it's important to be extra precautious when having sex with a foreigner. Equally, it's important to get the word out to foreigners about the importance of safe sex. Many of them would have had little or no sex education in their home countries.

Sure a % are from regions with high HIV prevalence, but I think the message should not focus on that too much. People should not be rationalizing the risk ever!
    It's not just HIV other STI are on the rise at a far higher rate like Hepatitis C.

The message should be clear:
    Use condoms consistently and correctly no matter who your partner. When used correctly and consistently, condoms are highly effective in preventing HIV infection, as well as other STI's.(sexually transmitted infections).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

No, this is not the message at all. You stay safe regardless of who it is. You don't take extra caution because someone might be in a certain group of people: you take the same precautions with every person you hookup with. Doing any less means you are always taking a gamble. You don't worry whether the other person is educated or not about sex ed, because if they're not playing by your rules, then there is nothing happening.

I think I must have poorly phrased. Of course there is no "risk rationalisation" and all partners must be treated with same precaution.

My final points were about making sure foreigners get the message about safe sex, seeing as how they make up more than half the number of new msm cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

It is a disgrace and indictment of our community that we are sacrificing our young people to a disease that is utterly preventable. Its so insanely infuriating. We marched for marriage, we rallied, we fought an amazing fight so whey can't we do the same for something that could save lives.

It is a disgrace and indictment of our community that we are sacrificing our young people to a disease that is utterly preventable. Its so insanely infuriating. We marched for marriage, we rallied, we fought an amazing fight so whey can't we do the same for something that could save lives.

Do I understand correctly you want to do more action like (Marching/rally) for safe sex ?

Do I understand correctly you want to do more action like (Marching/rally) for safe sex ?

My point is that we are capable of amazing unity and feats when we want to be for instance as was demonstrated recently with the marriage equality campaign. We should be able to come together and do something to deal with this.

Oh right :-)

Sorry about that, yeah I do agree with you.

However Sex, sex education and STI's are a hush hush/taboo topic's, in particular HIV awareness in my experience.

Oh right :-)

Sorry about that, yeah I do agree with you.

However Sex, sex education and STI's are a hush hush/taboo topic's, in particular HIV awareness in my experience.

Yeah and in my experience it is actually worse in the gay community.

• Advertisement

Would agree with you on that. I mean overall the attitude & attention is pretty bad (closed) in society towards the topic of sex / sex education and STI's but yeah additional focus is needed I think for the gay community. This in conjunction with also better highlighting HIV and education on the topic.

The question really remains why don't we already and how to action this going forward.

I mean current media coverage does not help to open discussion on the topic. Take this week the statistics were released and we had Irish AIDS day and the papers run the stories mostly with pictures covering needles and drug usage ... Yeah part of the issue is drug use but running the stories in the media with shock and/or fear based one sided representation of the issues closes the conversation and makes the issue in turn worse.

(sorry had to vent slightly)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

"It is amazing how many slang words mean both 'penis' and 'fool': purz, dork, prick, dick, weenie. Perhaps it's because a horny man thinks with his penis rather than his brain."-Charels Panati

Also, for those of us who came of age in the midst of the epidemic, the sight of emaciated bodied covered with KS, reports of CMV, an infection of cats ravaging HIV sufferers brains, uncontrollable diarrhoea, made quite an impression. That's something most youngsters have never seen.

SILVAMAN wrote: »
    "
    Also, for those of us who came of age in the midst of the epidemic, the sight of emaciated bodied covered with KS, reports of CMV, an infection of cats ravaging HIV sufferers brains, uncontrollable diarrhoea, made quite an impression. That's something most youngsters have never seen.

That's a good thing that they don't have to either.
    Thankfully it's 2015 and no longer 1985 and if the shock of the dead bodies and the living dead before they died failed to stop the epidemic back then from continuing I don't think we should revisit tactics from that area either. We all recall the John Hurst ad's about AIDS, and it did not halt infections.

Education on the subject should focus on the issues we have, one of them is making sure the issue of sex and STI's is not shamed back into the closest but spoken about. If you ask me, i think subjects and topic's that are tainted with shame by society & media just fuel myths and misunderstanding that in turn also leads to the next round of infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,991 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's funny 5-10 years ago I think it was the complete opposite. Gay men were made much more aware of safer sex practices etc.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭SILVAMAN

It hasn't gone away completely. A friend has a CD4 count of 500, been on HAART fro 6 years, and has developed KS lesions specifically on his thighs. It's an increasing problem for people on HAART. Lymphoma is another increasingly common cancer amongst HIV+patients.
    How many young gay me can can visualise how someone dies of AIDS? I used to work with an attorney friend in NY who did pro bono work in the evenings drawing up wills for dying men and women. What I witnessed these people suffering from will never leave me-it was a living hell for them, and despite the agony they would have given anything to live just another hour.
    I agree that stigma has to be removed, but if you have no idea of the potential consequenses of this disease, it's easier to take a risk.

It hasn't gone away completely. A friend hasa CD4 count of 500, has been on HAART fro 6 years, and had developed KS lesions specifically on his thighs. It's an increasing problem for people on HAART. Lymphoma is another increasingly common cancer amongst HIV+patients.
    How many young gay me can can visualise how someone dies of AIDS? I used to work with an attorney frined in NY who did pro bono work in the evenings drawing up wills for dying men and women. What I witnessed these people suffering from will never leave me-it was a living hell for them, and despite the agony they would have given anything to live just another hour.
    I agree thatstigma has to be removed, but if you have no idea of the potential consequenses of this disease, it's easier to take a risk.

Problems include too little testing for HIV and even if you test positive instead of treating in Ireland they wait for your CD4 to drop and allow the damage to be caused first. Other western location treat at diagnosis to prevent damage or at least before CD4's even reach below 500 and recent studies support this. http://www.webmd.com/hiv-aids/news/20150527/global-trial-finds-hiv-drugs-should-be-taken-right-after-diagnosis Ireland waits till actually damage is done and/or below 350 CD4 See HSE link under section Combination therapy: http://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/H/HIV-and-AIDS/What-are-the-treatment-options-.html

True even on HAART they have increased risks of illness particularly groups from the past like your friend. People with HIV that also waited too long to start treatment or were diagnosed late are at more risk. The CD4 count may increase after VL goes down but actual lasting damage is already done to many and they remain prone to illness. However that's all even more reason to talk, test and get the topic out of the social taboo so people practice more safer sex and get tested early without the barrier of shame and stigma so they can fully benefit from recent changed in treatments and live near normal life expectancy. Nowadays (2015) anyone newly diagnosed is expected to life near normal life expectancy as they will start off with better and more effective drugs before the damage is done. http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/10October/Pages/life-expectancy-uk-people-with-hiv-improves.aspx

As for the past and your experience it is terrible that so many fell ill and died I fully agree with you and they should not be forgotten or dismissed and many are still ill who had damage done in days that meds were not as effective or had side affects allowing permanent damage to be done but in the word of HIV has changed a lot in recent years and saying that we still need to reduce the number of infected and re-educate. Clearly the shock and scare tactics from the past have not worked and so it's time to address this if we want to reduce infection rates.
    I agree thatstigma has to be removed, but if you have no idea of the potential consequenses of this disease, it's easier to take a risk.
    Agree with you but the picture is not as hash in western countries as you experienced in the past anymore. What has happened is part of our experience and thankfully the new generation are not exposed to it directly. So we do need to clearly adjust our education and help them understand but not by fear or talking of what used to happen if you know what i mean.

I thought this publication was pretty good on the subject.
    http://www.dublinaidsalliance.ie/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=344&cntnt01origid=300&cntnt01pagelimit=5&cntnt01returnid=170
    The above publication highlights the silence on the topic and I like this part as it is indeed the case let's not forget the past or the impact but it is time to talk and educate about the subject in a new 2015 light.
    The impact AIDS has had on Irish society must never be forgotten. However, it is now time to focus on HIV, to have a conversation about HIV and the impact it continues to have on the lives of so many people in Ireland today.

I do agree in theory. He says as he takes his daily HAART medication. (Truvada/Tivicay) HIV antiviral combo.

It's funny 5-10 years ago I think it was the complete opposite. Gay men were made much more aware of safer sex practices etc.

Grindr :(

True and Social media and platforms do seem to be getting linked to rises in STi's

When Craigslist comes to town, HIV infections go up, study says
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/02/02/when-craigslist-comes-to-town-hiv-infections-go-up-study-says/

That said despite the apps making ordering sex easier than buying pizza (So i've heard lol :P) neither Grindr or similar apps/sites make people have unsafe sex, it's a behavior they I suspect would do anyway. In the digital age even more reason to have more up-to-date media attention towards the topic and education.

No but I dont think there is as much educational initiatives now. For example Johnny the group of volunteers used to hand out condoms in Dublin pubs from about 2000 to 2010 and they used to safer sex workshops. GMHS used to have an outreach worker but I dont think they do anymore.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No but I dont think there is as much educational initiatives now. For example Johnny the group of volunteers used to hand out condoms in Dublin pubs from about 2000 to 2010 and they used to safer sex workshops. GMHS used to have an outreach worker but I dont think they do anymore.

Funding cuts did for both of those as far as I know. False economies really.

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    Funding cuts did for both of those as far as I know. False economies really.

No. Johnny was voluntary so not really cuts.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No. Johnny was voluntary so not really cuts.

Did they not have their supply of condoms, printing etc from the HSE?

L1011 wrote: »
    Did they not have their supply of condoms, printing etc from the HSE?

The condom supply is largely still there - printing not really.

Terry Pratchet

As for the past and your experience it is terrible that so many fell ill and died I fully agree with you and they should not be forgotten or dismissed and many are still ill who had damage done in days that meds were not as effective or had side affects allowing permanent damage to be done but in the word of HIV has changed a lot in recent years and saying that we still need to reduce the number of infected and re-educate. Clearly the shock and scare tactics from the past have not worked and so it's time to address this if we want to reduce infection rates.

With respect didn't the scare tactics result in a massive increase in condom use and a significant reduction in infection rates? Of course any campaign should be tailored to the realities of the disease at present but I honestly don't know very many gay people my age that are even vaguely aware of the horrors mentioned by Silvaman or the true scale of the devastation that HIV/Aids wrought on our community. At the same time it is crucial that a campaign not whip up stigma. Its a balancing act.

I honestly think that there is two main reasons for our current problem from an awareness perspective. In popular conscience HIV/Aids was originally the gay disease. Then straight people started to get infected so I think there is a hesitation amongst campaigners to focus too much on the gay side lest it create the impression that this won't affect straight people. Secondly I think there is fear of being seen as homophobic by overly associating HIV with gay people.

Within the community I know so many young gay men who just don't want to acknowledge that HIV is a gay issue. And it is. Its almost as though to admit that it disproportionately affects us is somehow a slight. I can understand that but we don't think its an insult to fair skin people to acknowledge that we need to be extra cautious in the sun. We have to be mature about this. I've seen impressive results in african-american communities (also disproportionately affected by HIV aids) almost as it were taking ownership of the issue and nullifying the stigma but confronting the disease aggressively.

With respect didn't the scare tactics result in a massive increase in condom use and a significant reduction in infection rates? Of course any campaign should be tailored to the realities of the disease at present but I honestly don't know very many gay people my age that are even vaguely aware of the horrors mentioned by Silvaman or the true scale of the devastation that HIV/Aids wrought on our community. At the same time it is crucial that a campaign not whip up stigma. Its a balancing act.

I honestly think that there is two main reasons for our current problem from an awareness perspective. In popular conscience HIV/Aids was originally the gay disease. Then straight people started to get infected so I think there is a hesitation among campaigners to focus too much on the gay side lest it create the impression that this won't affect straight people. Secondly I think there is fear of being seen as homophobic by overly associating HIV with gay people.

Within the community I know so many young gay men who just don't want to acknowledge that HIV is a gay issue. And it is. Its almost as though to admit that it disproportionately affects us is somehow a slight. I can understand that but we don't think its an insult to fair skin people to acknowledge that we need to be extra cautious in the sun. We have to be mature about this. I've seen impressive results in african-american communities (also disproportionately affected by HIV aids) almost as it were taking ownership of the issue and nullifying the stigma but confronting the disease aggressively.

Well nobody is suggesting that the gay community should be the one driving the effort in HIV reduction, at least I hope not. The high rate currently is affecting MSM contact not the Gay community as such. I mean that as a lot of the MSM might not even consider themselves gay and hence might not be reached or respond to a push on the subject from within the gay community. We need a more wide net approach I think.

It's simply if we look at the HIV report published 2014 by the OP the HSE says 49 % are presenting late to very late meaning the have been infected for a number of years. So that also means they have good chance been unknowingly spreading the illness and that tactics from a few years ago have failed for the cases in question. I am under no delusion 0 infections is not going to be achieved. Today's issue of late presenting when diagnosed is linked to low testing rates and late diagnosis, This has a different root cause than the 90's. I mean the 80's I not even going to mention testing was not around for the first part and by the time you thought you were getting sick you were dying, at least for many.

The issues back in the 90's time frame that Silvaman highlighted with the video (91 I think) is the past and some of us lived in that time and witnessed the horrors. Still we have the illness today and instead of looking back (we should not forget what happened) we should look at the current trend and why this is happening. Pushed by a fear and shock tactic this level of testing would just be pressured, people would rater not know or even if they suspect hide it.
    Hence we need a more positive drive and open discussion about the issue on all front.

Below is a report about London (I wish we had this level of insight for Dublin) with shocking high numbers, compared to other major cities the issue highlighted is very low testing rates meaning high spread before diagnosis. (The longer you don't know and continue unprotected contact the higher chance of spread it's just logical) http://www.aidsmap.com/HIV-is-increasing-in-gay-men-in-London-because-of-lack-of-testing-comparative-study-finds/page/2894490/ A fear and shock tactic will just drive the subject back into the closest where it can do more harm than good. We need to change the way we approach testing.

HIV ireland also highlight the issue of testing rates combined with the silence regarding the subject.
    http://www.dublinaidsalliance.ie/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=344&cntnt01origid=380&cntnt01pagelimit=5&cntnt01returnid=170

BTW, regarding on the low level of testing I think the HSE and GP's have a big part to play in this.

My own experience I speak to many who think they have been tested, I am often told: "I got my bloods done when I was last in hospital, and nothing was mentioned" Sadly what people do not realize is HIV is not included in the standard test panel, yet people think that because a hospital took bloods and said nothing they are HIV Negative .... This is a real danger... It's simply not the case that they have been tested for HIV and to be honest I for one think by default the answer should be that it should be included in testing for all patients. A full blood test might be too much strain on the HSE but at least a rapid blood or oral test should weed out most of them. Also the promotion of more rapid testing in clinics and GP's is a good thing and should be done more often to combat the issue.

Well nobody is suggesting that the gay community should be the one driving the effort in HIV reduction, at least I hope not. The high rate currently is affecting MSM contact not the Gay community as such. I mean that as a lot of the MSM might not even consider themselves gay and hence might not be reached or respond to a push on the subject from within the gay community. We need a more wide net approach I think.

I certainly am and its exactly what I am suggesting. HIV is disproportionately affecting the gay community because the gay community is made of MSM. That not all MSM identify as gay is no reason not to engage in our own campaign.
    It's simply if we look at the HIV report published 2014 by the OP the HSE says 49 % are presenting late to very late meaning the have been infected for a number of years. So that also means they have good chance been unknowingly spreading the illness and that tactics from a few years ago have failed for the cases in question. I am under no delusion 0 infections is not going to be achieved. Today's issue of late presenting when diagnosed is linked to low testing rates and late diagnosis, This has a different root cause than the 90's. I mean the 80's I not even going to mention testing was not around for the first part and by the time you thought you were getting sick you were dying, at least for many.

The issues back in the 90's time frame that Silvaman highlighted with the video (91 I think) is the past and some of us lived in that time and witnessed the horrors. Still we have the illness today and instead of looking back (we should not forget what happened) we should look at the current trend and why this is happening. Pushed by a fear and shock tactic this level of testing would just be pressured, people would rater not know or even if they suspect hide it.
    Hence we need a more positive drive and open discussion about the issue on all front.

Is there evidence that the scare tactics resulted in a reduction in testing? In anycase I have already said that any campaign would need to be tailored to the present day realities and have no desire to terrify people for the sake of it. Fear however is an important and powerful motivator. It motivates to make changes to the way we live all the time, smoking kills, exercise or you'll get heart disease etc. etc. A carefully administered and reasonable campaign highlighting the reality that HIV still exists and is danger that MSM need to be aware of is what I want and I don't accept that it would lead to negative consequences.
    Below is a report about London (I wish we had this level of insight for Dublin) with shocking high numbers, compared to other major cities the issue highlighted is very low testing rates meaning high spread before diagnosis. (The longer you don't know and continue unprotected contact the higher chance of spread it's just logical) http://www.aidsmap.com/HIV-is-increasing-in-gay-men-in-London-because-of-lack-of-testing-comparative-study-finds/page/2894490/ A fear and shock tactic will just drive the subject back into the closest where it can do more harm than good. We need to change the way we approach testing.

I am glad you highlighted London because if we don't make changes now that is the sad vista we can expect for the Dublin gay community. The statistics emerging from London are genuinely horrifying. Another generation are finding themselves blighted by this entirely preventable disease.
    HIV ireland also highlight the issue of testing rates combined with the silence regarding the subject.

BTW, regarding on the low level of testing I think the HSE and GP's have a big part to play in this.

My own experience I speak to many who think they have been tested, I am often told: "I got my bloods done when I was last in hospital, and nothing was mentioned" Sadly what people do not realize is HIV is not included in the standard test panel, yet people think that because a hospital took bloods and said nothing they are HIV Negative .... This is a real danger... It's simply not the case that they have been tested for HIV and to be honest I for one think by default the answer should be that it should be included in testing for all patients. A full blood test might be too much strain on the HSE but at least a rapid blood or oral test should weed out most of them. Also the promotion of more rapid testing in clinics and GP's is a good thing and should be done more often to combat the issue.

Everything must be done. More testing, including it among routine blood tests for those who identify as MSM might be a start. GP's warning MSM patients that they face extra risk and explaining the disease especially to the young men. A BelongTo-esque organisation dedicated to raising awareness among young gay men whatever it takes.

I certainly am and its exactly what I am suggesting. HIV is disproportionately affecting the gay community because the gay community is made of MSM. That not all MSM identify as gay is no reason not to engage in our own campaign.

I'm not suggesting for a moment the gay community should not engage the issue, just no need to lead it either and having a wide net approach coordinated with other target groups would reach the wider audience this affects.
    Is there evidence that the scare tactics resulted in a reduction in testing? In anycase I have already said that any campaign would need to be tailored to the present day realities and have no desire to terrify people for the sake of it. Fear however is an important and powerful motivator. It motivates to make changes to the way we live all the time, smoking kills, exercise or you'll get heart disease etc. etc. A carefully administered and reasonable campaign highlighting the reality that HIV still exists and is danger that MSM need to be aware of is what I want and I don't accept that it would lead to negative consequences.

There is no evidence for it and the scare tactics from the past are out of date is my main point . Scare tactics drive things and subjects into the closet and this is one topic we want to keep on the table so it's addressed. I agree that a good campaign is needed that is tailored to the issues faced today. Your saying the words careful and reasonable and I agree with that but the scare tactics from the past were reasonable at the time the same tactics would not suit today is my point.

The soft and silent, handout condoms tactics from 2000 - 2010 ish have also not worked as well as they could, I mean 2014 reports from the HSE as posted and linked by the OP says 49 % are presenting late to very late meaning the have been infected for a number of years.
    I am glad you highlighted London because if we don't make changes now that is the sad vista we can expect for the Dublin gay community. The statistics emerging from London are genuinely horrifying. Another generation are finding themselves blighted by this entirely preventable disease.

Yeah, glad you agree and it's horrific indeed.
    I think we best learn from other communities before we end up learning the lesson firsthand ourselves in the next 5-10 years. It's better to act now because by the time we notice an issue it's the tip of the iceberg so to speak.
    Everything must be done. More testing, including it among routine blood tests for those who identify as MSM might be a start. GP's warning MSM patients that they face extra risk and explaining the disease especially to the young men. A BelongTo-esque organisation dedicated to raising awareness among young gay men whatever it takes.

I do agree, and it's a start but I think and ill look for the HSE report on the topic but let's be honest we all know a lot of the MSM continuity even if asked by the GP's do not self identify as MSM. So we would miss them in such testing efforts and also not to ignore the other groups with HIV infections I think a drive from within the HSE and GP's is needed to do more universal "test all" approach is needed to stamp out this issue.

Testing is for one part a money related problem I think/feel though

I mean mind you if we start increasing testing tomorrow brace ourselves we would see a higher rates being confirmed in the next few years before we see the benefit being the drop in cases over the long run. in theory at least, so we should also not be shocked to see the number of new cases confirmed go up first.

Must say to the OP Ten of Swords a thank you. My thoughts behind it is that just by having the topic and talking about it bring's attention to the ongoing issue and if even a view viewers who don't post are thinking about getting tested or thinking about using condoms because of it, it means some good has come from the thread.

I don't see how testing is a money issue given that free testing is available?

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I don't see how testing is a money issue given that free testing is available?

I presume he means for the health service.

Advertisement