Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAMSAT 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gaffer93

steph0712 wrote: »
    Hey,

I contacted ACER about the number of people who sat Gamsat in Ireland this year.
    --> 750.
    However you still need to consider Gamsat results from other countries and other years, so I am not sure how sure we can be of a secure place?!
    I guess some people die it before graduating too, so they might only be in for next year.
    Some might not meet the 2.1 criterion.
    Some might have just done the test acting as a 'spy' for courses.
    Who knows.

I just hope that within the 83rd percentile I am safe.

Looking forward to August now in anticipation of starting Uni again and looking for accommodation.
    Maybe we should start an accommodation thread closer to the August, so who knows we might have nice house mates and 'affordable' accommodation.

How many sat it last year out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 steph0712

gaffer93 wrote: »
    How many sat it last year out of interest?

No idea unfortunately. Guess write ACER and ask? They are very protective of everything though.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SwiftEagle

I see that UCD has increased its GEM positions from 77 to 100. So I imaging that points could be dropping there a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

anyone going to the UK? hitting Liverpool myself

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gaffer93

SwiftEagle wrote: »
    I see that UCD has increased its GEM positions from 77 to 100. So I imaging that points could be dropping there a bit.

i think the 100 is the total number of Graduate students which includes non-EU applicants. There is still 77 EU applicants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭miissjuly

Hi best of luck to all trying for GEM. I have a question regarding the loans. Say if you get a good gamsat score and get accepted how hard is it getting the loan from the bank? Is there any requirement for getting the loan like having a certain amount in your bank already? Also how can one become a guarantor what do they need to be one? I'm not applying anytime soon but if it is hard to get loans I might want to go the undergrad route. I just don't want to realise that I have to do undergrad med when I'm 23+.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Btrippn

miissjuly wrote: »
    Hi best of luck to all trying for GEM. I have a question regarding the loans. Say if you get a good gamsat score and get accepted how hard is it getting the loan from the bank? Is there any requirement for getting the loan like having a certain amount in your bank already? Also how can one become a guarantor what do they need to be one? I'm not applying anytime soon but if it is hard to get loans I might want to go the undergrad route. I just don't want to realise that I have to do undergrad med when I'm 23+.

I'm not sure about the loans but if you do the undergraduate route and you already have a degree you will have to pay full tuition fees (about €9000 per year) so it works out costing more or less the same as GEM.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭HopefulGEM

Hey guys congrats on the Gamsat results! I've just finished first year in UCD so if anyone has questions about the course or the BOI loan feel free to ask :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nhvska

HopefulGEM wrote: »
    Hey guys congrats on the Gamsat results! I've just finished first year in UCD so if anyone has questions about the course or the BOI loan feel free to ask :)

Hi there, well done on finishing first year! I am hoping to get into UCD with a gamsat score of 61. Just wondered if I could ask you about the BOI loan? Have you heard of people being refused it, and does the money go to the uni or to you? Obviously I don't have an offer from UCD yet (keeping fingers, toes and everything else possible crossed!) but when would you recommend getting in touch with the BOI? Thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nickynoonoo5

Hey does anybody have any idea of when offers will go out from CAO? I called them and they advised the first week of August but I know people got offers in late July last year, so wondering if there is any ambiguity! If anyone has any ideas please let me know :) Can't believe there's less than 3 months to go!

• Advertisement

nhvska wrote: »
    Hi there, well done on finishing first year! I am hoping to get into UCD with a gamsat score of 61. Just wondered if I could ask you about the BOI loan? Have you heard of people being refused it, and does the money go to the uni or to you? Obviously I don't have an offer from UCD yet (keeping fingers, toes and everything else possible crossed!) but when would you recommend getting in touch with the BOI? Thanks a million :)

Hey, you'll have no problem getting into UCD with that score! A few people got in on 57 in my class. The loan can only be taken out in the Montrose branch of BOI and they can't look at applications until you get your cao offer. Actually the bank don't even accept this as proof. You need to ask ucd straight away, once you get your offer, to post out a ucd headed letter confirming your place. Your bring this to Montrose and then you can begin the loan process. I personally don't know anyone who was denied the loan however I know 2 people who were denied their first guarantor and told to come back with another one. One criteria why a guarantor was denied was that they had too much of a balance on their mortgage, the more dept free and savings the guarantor has the better the chances. I think they only accept family members as guarantors. As long as you have an acceptable guarantor the bank will defo give you the loan. Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 nhvska

Hey, you'll have no problem getting into UCD with that score! A few people got in on 57 in my class. The loan can only be taken out in the Montrose branch of BOI and they can't look at applications until you get your cao offer. Actually the bank don't even accept this as proof. You need to ask ucd straight away, once you get your offer, to post out a ucd headed letter confirming your place. Your bring this to Montrose and then you can begin the loan process. I personally don't know anyone who was denied the loan however I know 2 people who were denied their first guarantor and told to come back with another one. One criteria why a guarantor was denied was that they had too much of a balance on their mortgage, the more dept free and savings the guarantor has the better the chances. I think they only accept family members as guarantors. As long as you have an acceptable guarantor the bank will defo give you the loan. Hope this helps :)

Ah thanks! That's so helpful. Will do that as soon as I get an offer. Absolutely cannot wait! :)

nhvska wrote: »
    Ah thanks! That's so helpful. Will do that as soon as I get an offer. Absolutely cannot wait! :)

The course is amazing, very intense but great! You get to meet patients in one of the first weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 GerVet

Hey......do you know how much BOI loan is? Is there a maximum loan or does it vary? My tuition fees will be 15k (veterinary) and will be looking for living expenses too

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jobin1

GerVet wrote: »
    Hey......do you know how much BOI loan is? Is there a maximum loan or does it vary? My tuition fees will be 15k (veterinary) and will be looking for living expenses too

I'm not sure if there is a different criteria with BOI for the grad veterinary course but if the fees are €15k a year, it sounds very similar to the grad medicine course. If that's the case, BOI will cap the loan at €60k over the 4 years (€15k per year). As far as I know, it has to be for fees only. Nothing for living expenses unfortunately. If there was a loan for living expenses, it would certainly take a huge weight off my mind going into the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 VitoEmanuelle

Anyone know what the third/final round offers for UCD last year went to? Sitting on 56 here.

Hey, unfortunately BOI don't do a vet loan package. A friend of mine had to forfeit his place on the vet course cause he couldn't get funding from anywhere. The BOI package is just for GEM students, mature entry meds can't even avail of it.

Anyone know what the third/final round offers for UCD last year went to? Sitting on 56 here.

Nobody under 57 got in this year. Two people left the course early on and we got two people from rcsi entering our class.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jody24

any one here applied on a mature basis this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jobin1

Jobin1 wrote: »
    I'm not sure if there is a different criteria with BOI for the grad veterinary course but if the fees are €15k a year, it sounds very similar to the grad medicine course. If that's the case, BOI will cap the loan at €60k over the 4 years (€15k per year). As far as I know, it has to be for fees only. Nothing for living expenses unfortunately. If there was a loan for living expenses, it would certainly take a huge weight off my mind going into the course.
    Hey, unfortunately BOI don't do a vet loan package. A friend of mine had to forfeit his place on the vet course cause he couldn't get funding from anywhere. The BOI package is just for GEM students, mature entry meds can't even avail of it.

Apologies GerVet, I didn’t realise that BOI don't do the loan for grad veterinary. That is quite harsh if someone had to forfeit a place because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 GerVet

Jobin1 wrote: »
    Apologies GerVet, I didn’t realise that BOI don't do the loan for grad veterinary. That is quite harsh if someone had to forfeit a place because of it.

No worries....I am going to investigate it with BOI anyways - fingers crossed!!! I will keep ye posted on the outcome.....I am remaining optimistic!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭goldencrisp62

How do people feel the UL course compares to UCD? I heard in UL you basically have to teach yourself everything, the students have been left very disappointed by it

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pharmatrist

I think it depends on your preferred learning style. In the UK, a lot of medical schools use PBL purely, or in combination with lectures. Many people do say PBL is suited more for grads and I know a few who prefer it over lecture-based teaching, but then again they're are some who've said they'd prefer lectures. To be honest, every exam and hurdle set by every medical school has to meet the standards outlined by the Medical Council, how you learn what you need to know in pre-clinical study doesn't really matter in that respect. From what I've seen from the doctors and medical students I work with, it's the ward based teaching and experience you get out in practice that really matters because, and I know it sounds cheesy, but thats where you really learn how to be a doctor.

Just to give some stats on how UCD students get on:

After last years first year the results where:
    2-pass
    29-2.2
    53-2.1
    17-1.1

After second year:
    1-pass
    19-2.2
    48-2.1
    17-1.1

After third and forth year/ DEGREE CLASSIFICATION:
    17-pass
    37-2.2
    31-2.1
    0- 1.1 !!!!!

Comparison with Degree Classification for Undergraduates (UEM)
    27- pass
    66- 2.2
    47- 2.1
    9- 1.1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

not a single person got a 1:1 ?

I heard this year that 160 students didn't get intern places, can anyone confirm this ?

not a single person got a 1:1 ?

I heard this year that 160 students didn't get intern places, can anyone confirm this ?

None of the GEMS got a 1.1. Ive no idea about intern spots but I don't know anybody who didn't get a spot. I know people who got spots in dublin with low 2.2's from TCD. Also apparently there were only 2 1.1's from TCD last year. Medical schools don't seem to like giving them out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 extinctspecies

Hopeful GEM, what is the schedule like for the last two years of GEM? Any chance of working during the semester? How long do you get for summer? Sorry for the 21 questions.

Hopeful GEM, what is the schedule like for the last two years of GEM? Any chance of working during the semester? How long do you get for summer? Sorry for the 21 questions.

Hey I've just finished first year so I am not 100% sure what 3rd and 4th year will be like. For first year I worked 10 hours every Sunday and came out of it with a 2.1. I believe you get 7-8 weeks holidays in the later years. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 SwiftEagle

Just to give some stats on how UCD students get on:

After last years first year the results where:
    2-pass
    29-2.2
    53-2.1
    17-1.1

After second year:
    1-pass
    19-2.2
    48-2.1
    17-1.1

After third and forth year/ DEGREE CLASSIFICATION:
    17-pass
    37-2.2
    31-2.1
    0- 1.1 !!!!!

Comparison with Degree Classification for Undergraduates (UEM)
    27- pass
    66- 2.2
    47- 2.1
    9- 1.1

From 1st year to second year did 16 people actually drop out? Is the second year that more intense??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 extinctspecies

Hey I've just finished first year so I am not 100% sure what 3rd and 4th year will be like. For first year I worked 10 hours every Sunday and came out of it with a 2.1. I believe you get 7-8 weeks holidays in the later years. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Thanks a mil

Advertisement