Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The all new, revised and easier quiz! (mod note posts 1 and 2042)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Oh crikey.. I know there are a fair number, called "ironwoods", the specific gravity of which exceeds the standard specific gravity of water. I know OF nine, but I suspect there are more, so my guess is 10+.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭BrensBenz

Samaris wrote: »
    Oh crikey.. I know there are a fair number, called "ironwoods", the specific gravity of which exceeds the standard specific gravity of water. I know OF nine, but I suspect there are more, so my guess is 10+.

Correct! This isn't a very exact science because individual samples vary (it's a natural product) but yes, at least 10.

By the way, many yonks ago I was given a lump of ebony and asked to carve a black raven for some amdram competition. It barely floated but ruined my tools! I also have a small piece of lignum vitae which definitely doesn't float.

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Correct! This isn't a very exact science because individual samples vary (it's a natural product) but yes, at least 10.

By the way, many yonks ago I was given a lump of ebony and asked to carve a black raven for some amdram competition. It barely floated but ruined my tools! I also have a small piece of lignum vitae which definitely doesn't float.

I believe lignum vitae is the densest wood out there, although something with a demented long latin name ending in ferrous...er(...African ironwood will do!) is also well up there. Ebony woods average a hair under the lignum vitae. Any of them will handily destroy tools!

I shall come up with a question now../cough

This might get things thrown at me. Can you spell out the longest placename in Ireland (without checking it up!)? :D

Closest spelling by the end of day gets it!

Edit: The English form, although if you want to spell it out in Irish too, extra brownie points.

Edit to the edit: This may not be entirely clear, since even the Irish authorities gave up on this one and disowned it, so I will clarify it as "It's the famous one from Galway, and refers to the pig's back" just to be on the safe side.

This might get things thrown at me. Can you spell out the longest placename in Ireland (without checking it up!)? :D

Closest spelling by the end of day gets it!

Edit: The English form, although if you want to spell it out in Irish too, extra brownie points.

Edit to the edit: This may not be entirely clear, since even the Irish authorities gave up on this one and disowned it, so I will clarify it as "It's the famous one from Galway, and refers to the pig's back" just to be on the safe side.

Newtownmountkennedy.
    I didn't peek - I was dozing!

Whoooops. I forgot (something like) Muckanaghidirdawsawlia but, this is the rather silly anglicised spelling. Muiceanach Idir Dhá Sháile - Pigsbackbetweentwosaltylakes(?) or sumt'n'. Tried a few times in my youth but never found it.

• Advertisement

Since it's quarter to midnight, it goes to Brens! Not the best question in the world, I have to admit, I was wondering how exactly I'd judge it between several answers unless one was actually correct! Over to you. :D

Even with that cock-eyed spelling?

Well, there I was, trying to think up questions for this quiz when I heard noises coming from our utility room. I snuck out and found a blackbird trying to find his way out, having had a bath in the Woof's water bowl and having scattered the Woof's dinner around the floor. And where was our spaniel water / bird woof while this incursion was underway? “In the Land of Nod”, that's where!

“Hmmm,” I thought. “Maybe that could be a question for the quiz because I know this has an older and entirely different meaning than “Asleep””. So, what is the more correct meaning of the phrase “In the Land of Nod”?

BrensBenz wrote: »
    Even with that cock-eyed spelling?

Well, there I was, trying to think up questions for this quiz when I heard noises coming from our utility room. I snuck out and found a blackbird trying to find his way out, having had a bath in the Woof's water bowl and having scattered the Woof's dinner around the floor. And where was our spaniel water / bird woof while this incursion was underway? “In the Land of Nod”, that's where!

“Hmmm,” I thought. “Maybe that could be a question for the quiz because I know this has an older and entirely different meaning than “Asleep””. So, what is the more correct meaning of the phrase “In the Land of Nod”?

It's a Biblical reference, where Cain was exiled after he slew his brother, also referenced as being "east of Eden".

I couldn't say exactly how it's transferred to meaning asleep, unless there's some dubious connection to being "elsewhere", plus the whole nodding off business.

It's a Biblical reference, where Cain was exiled after he slew his brother, also referenced as being "east of Eden".

I couldn't say exactly how it's transferred to meaning asleep, unless there's some dubious connection to being "elsewhere", plus the whole nodding off business.

Indeed it is. Well Done.
    You're up!

What is the scientific consensus (in terms of percentage of scientists in climate science) as regards anthropogenic climate change? This isn't what percentage agree that climate change is happening at ALL, it's what percentage agree that current change is primarily driven by humans - I'll take to the nearest percent :D

• Advertisement

What is the scientific consensus (in terms of percentage of scientists in climate science) as regards anthropogenic climate change? This isn't what percentage agree that climate change is happening at ALL, it's what percentage agree that current change is primarily driven by humans - I'll take to the nearest percent :D

Might need a teencey weencie clue. Did all of the scientists vote on it or did someone interview a cross section of them and (I forget the right word) predict the percentage from the sample? Were journalists involved in arriving at the percentage?

Ah, I see!

It's the result of a number of studies, including studies in 2003, 09, 10, 13, also upheld by NASA and the IPCC international report on climate change. It's the one that's generally quoted, unless you're talking to a journalist. Several of these would be concluded by counting up all the studies done by individual scientists over X period (in 2004, it was something like 1000 papers, in 2011, 13,000 papers), and seeing how many conclude or assume one way or the other was one method. Another method was a symposium of random names from publishing authors and seeing if they agreed or disagreed, etcetera.

Journalists weren't involved, nope, studies on abstracts and papers over time mostly.

OK, so real data instead of makie uppie data to sell newspapers!

I'm guessing it's overwhelming but there are always a few "yeah buts" so let's try 95%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Some scientists might have backtracked......I'll guess at 75%.

I don't think anyone's going to get much closer! The scientific consensus is a whopping 97.1%, varying to 97.4%. There are no Academies of Science that disagree, and since 2007, when the American Association of Petroleum Geologists released a revised statement (albeit with mild grumbling), no scientific body of national or international standing continues to reject anthropogenic climate change.

Unsurprising really that the petroleum geologists were the last to come round! :P

Over to you then, BrensBenz!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,168 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oi, I might have to do a bit of moddishness about people asking questions that I don't even understand, much less be able to answer.

Oops was going to put a smile there but posted instead. Take it as read.

looksee wrote: »
    Oi, I might have to do a bit of moddishness about people asking questions that I don't even understand, much less be able to answer.

My method, when I don't understand the question, is to quote that well known intellectual from Craggy Island, Fr. Jack: "That would be an ecumenical matter." Works almost every time.

Speaking of ecumenical matters, and of very local interest (to me), the early Irish church was out-of-step with Rome about (among other things) the dating of Easter. In the 12th century, a synod of Irish bishops and priests was held to nominate patsies I mean delegates to go to Rome to put an end to the divergencies. Where was the synod held?

Was that Worms, or something?

Or maybe Rheims, they are the only two names coming to mind, not that I have a clue about any of them.

Oh right, just checked it up and re-read the question. Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Pulsating Star

Just a guess but going with Clontarf.

Nicaea? Or was that the 4thC one?

Also, I'll be well-behaved with any future questions! :D

Well, I understood that question about scientists anyway, so there! (she said proudly, nose in air)

Was that Worms...
    Or maybe Rheims...

"Diet of Worms" always made us laugh in skewell. But no,
    Rheims? Also no.

This synod took place in a very humble place in Ireland. The place has a strong association with St. Patrick, but then everywhere in Ireland has! Locally, the heroes contend that this inhospitable place was chosen so as to hasten decisions from the synod on topics which had gone unresolved for generations and allow them to go home quickly. It worked and the tiny monastery that hosted the synod was soon moved to a more comfortable place.

I see a few more answers coming in:

Nicaea? No. Way too exotic.

Best yet is Clontarf - close but I wouldn't like to have to walk from Clontarf to where the synod took place!

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Well, I understood that question about scientists anyway, so there! (she said proudly, nose in air)

Yeah, that's because you're kinky about that anthropogenic stuff. Word is that you buy it by the trolley load and hoard it in your conservancy. I'm an oulfella and I'm still not allowed to have any. Oh. Life is so unfair!

..I somehow totally missed the important word "Irish" in there :D Yees, Nicaea was a bit exotic! Er, Lismore?

..I somehow totally missed the important word "Irish" in there :D Yees, Nicaea was a bit exotic! Er, Lismore?

No, Lismore is a grand spot. Any synod there could have lasted months!

..I somehow totally missed the important word "Irish" in there :D

Yes that was my problem, they were only deciding who to send at the synod! That and the fact that I had no idea and was making wild guesses :D

A mad guess Ted, was it Tara?

• Advertisement

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    A mad guess Ted, was it Tara?

No, not Tara. A good association with St. Patrick but way too regal.

Let's go through the clues:
    • ..... and of very local interest (to me);
    • In the 12th century...
    • a synod of Irish bishops and priests...
    • This synod took place in a very humble place in Ireland;
    • The place has a strong association with St. Patrick;
    • The tiny monastery that hosted the synod was soon moved to a more comfortable place;
    • Best yet is Clontarf - close, but I wouldn't like to have to walk from Clontarf to where the synod took place!

Anyway, I'm off for a while to the "Hub of our Solar System", the "Centre of the Cosmos," the place where, after he finished it, God said: "That's it. I can't do any better than that." See yiz later. (That's me, by the way, not God. He doesn't have a NCD accent.)

PS: It is vitally important that you know this answer - you will be better people knowing it. So if these clues still don't help, you may have to ask Mr. Compewher. That one with the double-barrelled name, Mr. Google-Maps got it wrong by about half a mile but Mr. Wikipedia is, as usual, spot on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement