Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what constitutes a social justice warrior?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

SJW: latches onto a particular cause or injustice and uses it for their own narcissistic ego trip.

Always the loudest, but has the least worth saying - often parroted off someone smarter anyway!

Like a junkie seeking their next high, they quickly find another source in some new cause!

Actors like to turn into SJW from time to time. Makes me cringe when I see their fake sincerity!

But all SJW are talented actors, so I guess it makes sense for the reverse to also be true! lol

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

What a load of utter shite. PR is social engineering. Advertising is social engineering. Every law and regulation that influences behaviour is social engineering. Making people put children in car safety seats is social engineering. Making motorcyclists wear helmets is social engineering.

So I take it you have no problem with the state dictating every little level of ones life? Great, you would love North Korea then.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Lmao @ some of the libs ITT insecure about possibly falling under the term SJW and throwing out generalisations.

MUH TRIGGERS!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭TheBeardedLady

RayM wrote: »
    It's one of those terms that right-wing idiots throw at anyone who isn't a cunt.

Basically this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I always felt it was a supposed insult thrown by dickheads who get their supposedly valid opinions challenged online. 'Freedom of opinion' is usually the cry of the dickhead.
    They want to achieve "equality" in society by completely obliterating individual freedom. That's probably the best summary of their activities. In doing so, they hurt the "oppressed" as much as they hurt the "oppressors".
    This attempted turning things back around on people is bull****.
    a) We're hurting these people, they're oppressed, and you should bloody well just take it because freedom of opinion.
    b) And what's more if you defend them you're hurting them too, so leave us alone! Because you're just compounding everyone's oppression you lousy oppressive social justice warrior. WAA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭IrishTrajan

This is a SJW, OP. Note, everyone is racist or homophobic, but only if they're a white male. If they're a minority or gay, the SJW tries to bargain with them and plead with them to not seem confrontational. Like in the case of firearms, every white man or ex-military is a psychopath who wants to kill children.
    Anyone who doesn't agree with your racist, bigoted, or prejudiced viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

Candie wrote: »
    By far the most accurate and succinct definition.

/tips hat :)

So only the left is aloud to name call and shut people up then? Good to know

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

You wanna see some examples of SJW? Google "gamergate"

But seriously before you do that you need to be prepared to lose all faith in humanity..... im not kidding

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Dickheads.
    C*nts.
    Bigots.
    Racists.
    Idiots.

Wonderfully tolerant language from the "tolerance" crowd.

Mention SJWs and they crawl from the woodwork to do what they do best: shout down the discussion and aggressively abuse anyone who doesn't fully submit to the new orthodoxy.

DeadHand wrote: »
    Dickheads.
    C*nts.
    Bigots.
    Racists.
    Idiots.

Wonderfully tolerant language from the "tolerance" crowd.

Mention SJWs and they crawl from the woodwork to do what they do best: shout down the discussion and aggressively abuse anyone who doesn't fully submit to the new orthodoxy.

The best part is when they start trying to out PC each other, thats when I get the popcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,109 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

There really do seem to be a lot of SJW's in this thread. They are the ones that are all butthurt about a simple definition, which is actually useful as it serves to illustrate what a SJW is, namely a person who is constantly butthurt and wants you to know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

If you're in a debate/argument/flamewar/fistfight and the people on the other side are called "Justice Warriors" and the people on your side GAVE THEM THAT NAME...

Kev W wrote: »
    If you're in a debate/argument/flamewar/fistfight and the people on the other side are called "Justice Warriors" and the people on your side GAVE THEM THAT NAME...

Whoooosh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

A SJW is simply an ideologue, a fanatic. Think of them as secular religious nuts.

For example, a deeply religious person will hold onto some broad axioms, such as Jesus rose from the dead, Mohammad had the Truth revealed to him by the angel Gabriel, and so on. You can happily and rationally argue with them as long as you accept these axioms - so long as you don't questions these basic articles of faith, they will engage.

However, the moment you question them, suggest that Jesus didn't rise from the dead, or perhaps didn't even exist, or Mohammad made it all up, then you'll hit a brick wall, because some sort of fail-safe kicks in blocking any possible examination of these basic tenets.

SJW's, or any ideologue, are exactly the same. They will engage in discussion so long as you accept that, for example, Capitalism is evil or [insert minority / gender] are oppressed, but the moment you question this axiom, you'll get stonewalled in exactly the same way. What will follow is the usual process of evasion, digression, use of dubious 'evidence' and so on, but essentially you'll have hit a brick wall in the debate. They cannot question these axioms, because if they did their entire Worldview could collapse.

Religious or secular. Left-wing or right-wing. They all share the same basic trait; they will never question their basic beliefs and will treat anyone who does not naturally embrace these beliefs with confusion, contempt or even belligerence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Yep. Mormon tactics hipster agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Both the terms SJW and the name calling the American left do (mansplaining etc. ) are whiny Americanised bollocks masking real power.

Nobody talks about yanksplaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

They're adherents of a type of shrill zealotry of the "I know I'm right" variety. The Corinthian explains it very well above.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Both the terms SJW and the name calling the American left do (mansplaining etc. ) are whiny Americanised bollocks masking real power.

Nobody talks about yanksplaining.

A so the real power is always hidden Foucault, Chomsky etc. were right is there not a slight edge of a conspiracy theory in that. What agenda does 'power' have.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

Extremism often just as bigoted as what they claim to oppose. The average person opposes racism. If you get an extreme right wing conservative who opposes all immigration because they don't like foreigners they get called a racist and most people would agree. You can also get an extreme left wing social justice warrior who is also just as racist when they complain about "cultural appropriation" when white people listen to hip hop or cook mexican food or wear dreadlocks. To SJW's they label such culutral appropriation as racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This thread has me triggered.

A SJW to me is someone who takes a very extreme view to things to the point of parody where they will find offence in almost anything and are highly aggressive if others don't follow their point of view, you filthy cis white male shítlord.

There's people against racism, sexism, violence, etc..............you know, normal people...................then there's someone who would find something like smartphone technology misogynistic, a shirt on a scientist for the Rosetta probe landing highly sexist and mercilessly attack him until he's forced to apologise in tears, or your average Tumblr user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,365 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

SJW is used the same way as Betty Windsor is used by some republican's for the queen of England or using Dinny for Denis O Brian its a way of diminishing something or someone it is both apathetic and satirists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Don't believe I've ever heard the term actually.

I'd class myself as more of a liberal with a strong social consistence than a hidebound right or left-wing devotee.

Admittedly, this usually places me by default within a left wing spectrum on many - but by no means all - issues but to me it's an important distinction that your views are shaped by experience and honesty rather than selectively shoehorned by ideology.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭NI24

SJW is an internet term invented by mostly middle class and rich white men to hurl at mostly middle class and rich white women in order to further polarize two of the most spoiled groups of people on Earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭Maguined

NI24 wrote: »
    SJW is an internet term invented by mostly middle class and rich white men to hurl at mostly middle class and rich white women in order to further polarize two of the most spoiled groups of people on Earth.

Poor SJW's, always the victim eh? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭newport2

anncoates wrote: »
    Don't believe I've ever heard the term actually.

I'd class myself as more of a liberal with a strong social consistence than a hidebound right or left-wing devotee.

Admittedly, this usually places me by default within a left wing spectrum on many - but by no means all - issues but to me it's an important distinction that your views are shaped by experience and honesty rather than selectively shoehorned by ideology.

I think this is the key issue difference distinguishing between someone with genuine beliefs and who cares and an SJW - from my interpretation of what an SJW is anyway. You might both argue the same case, but I'd have more respect for the former (who I would sometimes be, depending on the issue at hand), as they are usually willing to debate and listen to views other than their own. And their opinions are their own, not adapted to fit an agenda or be in line with what's popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

Robsweezie wrote: »
    This term is all over the forums at the moment but I haven't a 100% understanding of what it is to be one. All I know is it comes with negative connotations and seems to be a form of deregotory namecalling. Why is it such a no no to be an avid campaigner for social justice? Is it because they over do it and jump on every bandwagon? What does it mean to you?

Ever heard of pathological altruism? It tends to characterize certian posters on this forum.
    Broadly pathological altruism defined as “good intentions gone awry”, but those that suffer from it have a tendency to lack the ability, or wilfully refuse to acknowledge that the 'help' their bleeding hearts want to provide can actually be doing harm in the long term.

Barbara Oakley has written on the subject:

"Empathy,is not a uniformly positive attribute. It is associated with emotional contagion; hindsight bias; motivated reasoning; caring only for those we like or who comprise our in-group (parochial altruism); jumping to conclusions; and inappropriate feelings of guilt in noncooperators who refuse to follow orders to hurt others." It also can produce bad public policy.

So from codependency to the migrant crisis in the med, altruism can have a negative impact on those it intends to help. In other words, not helping is in the long run the best (or least worst) thing you can do sometimes and wisdom is required to know the difference between empathy and pathological altruism.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Corinthian nailed it, it could also be broadly referred to as liberal fascism.

Right or left, if your mind is closed they both sound the same.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yep TC pretty much nails it for me too. Ideologue sums them up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

On boards, it's a completely empty and meaningless term, thrown around lazily by people instead of an actual argument.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You need a loincloth, dreadlocks and a good line in Duckspeak. Oh and a Sceptre of Social Justice sort of thing that you can hold up in the air and go "Social Justice, Ho!". It would look somewhat like a giant double-sided dildo.

Advertisement