Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lighter/faster bike for comute

Options
  • 26-05-2015 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

At the min I do just under 7km on a mountain bike with road tires (ortwhat ever you can those in-between with a smooth center patch) and I find I run out of gear more than I would like to.

Have been tinkering with the idea of getting something new or 2nd hand but not sure what I'm looking at or maybe I'm just mad.

My main requirements are for it to be lighter with better gearing and hydraulic disc brakes (love them on my current bike). My flatmate has a boardman hybrid chomp which I quite like the look of.

From what I can gather it falls between a hybrid and a racer.,not to keen on a racer hence thinking about one of these. What other bikes should I be looking at similar to the one below.,any good recommendations for one?

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/hybrid-bikes-and-classic-bikes/boardman-hybrid-team-bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

I've linked this a couple of times. I think it looks the mutts. Not the highest spec wise and hydraulic brakes are overkill on skinny slick tyres imo but still she's a looker. :D

http://www.giant-dublin.ie/en-ie/bikes/model/fastroad.slr/20131/79377/#specifications

2015_Giant_Fast_Road_SLR.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

OP - if your commute is fairly flat, you should consider a single speed - relatively inexpensive, look great and easy to maintain.
    iwillhtfu wrote: »
    .. but still she's a looker. :D
    The 32 cassette, triple front and long cage spoil those looks somewhat IMO. It would probably look great as a single speed/fixie.

The 32 cassette, triple front and long cage spoil those looks somewhat IMO.

Completely agree with that alright it'd be my first change.

It would probably look great as a single speed/fixie.

I'm not a fan of fixies probably stereo typing the honest lads with the top knot hipsters though to be fair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

It's not to bad a cycle, I'm going from drumcondra to donnybrook with a few hills but not in major. Was behind someone with a single speed today and she was cycling at an ok pace. I really love my disc brakes though!

That's a nice bike, bit more expensive than the boardman though. Could always transfer the hydraulic discs from my current bike over?

What do you mean by long cage.?

Specialized do a similar style frame but I like the giant bike

http://m.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/multi-use/sirrus/sirrus-comp-disc

• Advertisement

jozi wrote: »
    What do you mean by long cage.?
    The part below the rear derailluer which takes up the chain slack. On bikes with extreme gearing, the cage has to be extra long to cover the chain at its longest and shortest. Short cages look much better IMO.

I see it now.

I don't think having 2x cog s upfront would bother me to much I rarely go down to my lowest gears.

Is it worth spending extra getting a carbon for over a alloy one? I don't know if I can justify spending over 1k on a bike for commuting, even if I got it on the cycle to work scheme

jozi wrote: »
    Is it worth spending extra getting a carbon for over a alloy one? I don't know if I can justify spending over 1k on a bike for commuting, even if I got it on the cycle to work scheme
    Personally speaking, there's no way I could justify spending half that on a 7k commute. If you are just commuting with no weekend leisure riding, consider a good used hybrid - they come up regularly as their owners switch to road bikes.

(On an short urban commute, carbon won't give any advantages).

I think I agree, it's a lot of money (even on the cycle to work scheme)! I don't know about weekend cycles, for the moment my weekends are busy but who know, maybe with a nice bike I'll go for more spins.

One of the reasons I stated thinking about a new bike was because I'm going to need a new bottom bracket soon, my headset isn't great either and generally maintenance is beginning to be more than just pads and a chain. Maybe a good used bike would be ok but I don't want to be back to doing this on a bike a year from now.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

jozi wrote:
    One of the reasons I stated thinking about a new bike was because I'm going to need a new bottom bracket soon, my headset isn't great either and generally maintenance is beginning to be more than just pads and a chain. Maybe a good used bike would be ok but I don't want to be back to doing this on a bike a year from now.

You also do to want to realise in a few months that you really want a €1k+ road bike and realise you've used your BTW to buy a bike that gets used for 20 minutes a day :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Domane

It's your money so get what you want price wise. If it's under the bike to work scheme, the government pays half anyways. My own personal belief is always buy the best you can afford if you're keeping it long term.

As for the thread title, there's no such thing as a "faster" bike, it all depends on who's cycling it. I've overtaken guys on their super duper road bikes while I was cycling on my 11 year old heavy mountain bike.

Best of luck with the choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Single speed/Fixed gear are the most pragmatic for urban cycling and offer great value, once you can fit mudguards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I have been toying with getting one of these for runs to the shop general use

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/fixie-bikes/real-singolo-fixie-bike-2015-58cm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Nice looking frame, but:

Approximate Weight (KG): 15.7kg

:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Yeah, she is a bit heavy alright. :( Only drawback.

But for a cheap cheerful Fixie, you can't really complain.

Domane wrote: »
    ..If it's under the bike to work scheme, the government the taxpayers pays half anyways...
    FYP
    Domane wrote:
    ...As for the thread title, there's no such thing as a "faster" bike, it all depends on who's cycling it. I've overtaken guys on their super duper road bikes while I was cycling on my 11 year old heavy mountain bike....
    That's not a valid comparison as you are comparing yourself with someone else. You need to do a comparison with yourself over several bikes and ideally with the same gearing. On my carbon fibre Fuji I'll have a higher average speed than on a similar length journey on my steel tourer. On the fixie, speed will be higher on short rides but lower on longer rides...and so on.

I over take the odd person on road bikes also on my mountain bike, I often find myself cruising at a nice pace not being able to go faster because I've run out of gears sure I can pedal faster but if I had higher gearing I could stay in that comfortable pedal long range while cruising at a higher speed.

I'm not sold on a fixy, I think id need to try one for a few days or buy something cheap like the above. As I've said I really like my hydraulic disc brakes :o

As for the thread title, there's no such thing as a "faster" bike, it all depends on who's cycling it. .

This simply isn't true. Forget about who's cycling I'd be willing to be if I put my road bike and your mountain bike at the top of a hill I'd be waiting on you.

Also I'd imagine seeing as how you're using yourself as the common denominator you're faster on your own road bike than on your mountain bike.

OP asked for a faster bike than his current bike this can be achieved through numerous different methods and not even necessarily by changing bikes if he changed his cassette he'd naturallu create the potebtial for a higher top speed.

Actually, changing gearing has crossed my mind. Do I do this by fitting a smaller rear cassette and larger front? Will I also need to change derailleur?

I have a bottom bracket that needs replacing and when I recently changed for a new chain I had some slippage so the rear might as well be changed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

What you are looking for is probably a flat bar road bike.
    It has all the speed of a road bike but a little more upright for commuting.

I'm looking into one myself and was about to pull the trigger on the Giant Fastroad when I heard that the new Giant 2016 range is due next month. They seem to have added disc brakes to the Giant Rapid 0, 1 and 2. They're dubbing this the "London Bike". (Plus the Rapid appears to have hydraulic disc brakes rather than the mechanical ones on the Fastroad, with theoretically less maintenance on the hydraulic ones according to my LBS) After a few near misses in the wet, I've decided my next bike needs to have disc brakes. I am sick of changing / adjusting brake pads, especially after it rains. I'm beginning the think the Giant Rapid 2 for €899 might be my next bike. If only I could figure out how much it weighs, I'd probably have taken the plunge already.

The only alternative for this (for me at least) is to take the above advice on a fixie for ease of maintenance etc. The closest competition in my eyes then is the Cube Hyde Race for €999 which has the aforementioned disc brakes but also has an internal hub gear, i.e. a fixie with gears inside the wheel hub. This means no maintenance issues with the derailleur and little chain wear probems. It weighs 12.3kg but bikes with disc brakes, heavy duty tyres or hubs tend to be a little heavier anyway, nevermind when all 3 are included.
    I'll probably wait and see what the 2016 Cube selection offers but I'll definitely take the Giant Rapid 2 for a test spin in the meantime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭GTDolanator

670 pretty good commuter,shimano hubs double wall rims with stainless eyelets and continental tyres and shimano hydro's

http://www.ridgeback.co.uk/bike/Vanteo

This simply isn't true. Forget about who's cycling I'd be willing to be if I put my road bike and your mountain bike at the top of a hill I'd be waiting on you.

Also I'd imagine seeing as how you're using yourself as the common denominator you're faster on your own road bike than on your mountain bike.

Have to disagree with you on your first point......a bike is only as "fast" as its engine, ie the rider. You can buy the "best of the best" road bike but if you're unfit, you'll get left behind by those on "lesser" bikes. Yes I'm faster on my Trek Domane than on my mtb but I also do a faster average time on my mtb than some do on dedicated road bikes.

Back on topic, OP buy the best bike you can afford, particularly if it's under the bike to work scheme as you'll only get this chance once in every five years. Even if the bike is more than you currently need, you won't feel the need to upgrade it in a year or two.

Yes I'm faster on my Trek Domane than on my mtb

Therefore you have a faster bike. No?
    Have to disagree with you on your first point......a bike is only as "fast" as its engine, ie the rider.

So I'm guessing all that research on aerodynamics and rolling resistance of tyres is utter nonsense then?

Sure why aren't half the field in the Giro riding mountain bikes seeing as how there's no difference and all that. :rolleyes:

OP asked for a faster bike not a new bloody engine as you put it.

Therefore you have a faster bike. No?

So I'm guessing all that research on aerodynamics and rolling resistance of tyres is utter nonsense then?

Sure why aren't half the field in the Giro riding mountain bikes seeing as how there's no difference and all that. :rolleyes:

OP asked for a faster bike not a new bloody engine as you put it.

Ok, let's think about this, say I offer my two bikes up for a side by side road race. I'll cycle my Trek Domane and I'll put Nicholas Roche on my mtb. Now despite my general good level of fitness, I'd say Roche would be faster on my mtb. So in that case, the mtb would be the faster bike, no?

Take a deep breath mate and chill. You'll live longer ;-)

You're missing the point man I think you've to much fresh air between the ears to be honest. Do you just like to argue with random people on the internet. There has to be a common denominator as in the op.

So take your example and put Nicholas Roche on both bikes one will be faster than the other.

You seem to be hung up on this engine craic. Nobody is comparing cyclists except you the op asked for a faster bike for his needs. So needless to say a lighter bike with slick tyres will without doubt make the the OP's commute faster and in doing so he's got himself a faster and slower bike.

I'm repeating myself now so I'll leave it at "Black"

Go on tell me it's white!!

No need for a deep breath I'm perfectly relaxed thanks. Also chickling away to myself here are we proud of our Trek Domane let me pick that name up for you there :D

Well if you have to stoop to insults, then there's no point debating the point with you, is there? Little keyboard warriors like you need to be avoided not fed. However you've given my mates a good laugh when I showed them your responses.

As for my "name", had to retire my original Boards name and reregister when the ex wife was cyber stalking me on here. The Domane just happened to be sitting in front of me when I was thinking up a non de plume for Boards. Hope this satisfies your curiosity Have a nice day.

OP, sorry about all this but in the 11 years I've been on Boards, the rise of the aggressive little troll has been inexorable. There was once a time you could offer an opinion or have a reasoned argument without ****e been thrown around. Ah the good old days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

OP - if your commute is fairly flat, you should consider a single speed - relatively inexpensive, look great and easy to maintain.

I'll second that - love my steel Langster on my 14km each way commute!

Bit of any update on here, been to busy to look into this lately.

Have a friend who works in Halfords who can get me a discount on a Boardman but he might also be able to get other bikes they dont normally stock.

I would appreciate some advice on how the bikes below compare to the Halfords bike above

Canyon Roadlite
    Giant new Rapid (as above)
    Specialized sirrius comp disc
    Felt Versa speed 20 I quite like this one but not sure if it's easy got.

They all seem to have similar spec to me but I don't really know how the components compare like for like or with the Halfords bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Single speed/Fixed gear are the most pragmatic for urban cycling and offer great value, once you can fit mudguards.

I use a Specialized Langster for my daily 30kms round trip commute and absolutely love it but I wouldn't like it to be my only bike - really hard work on any sort of a proper climb!

• Advertisement

Forgot to add cube who do the sl road range which look nice also
    http://www.cube.eu/en/bikes/tour/sl-road/

Advertisement