Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fasting Today

Options
  • 10-05-2015 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭

I'm fasting today. Haven't eaten anything since 11pm last night and won't eat until about 10 or 11 tomorrow morning.

I notice I get waves of hunger that come and go. They last for about, maybe 10 minutes at most. I must time them better actually and the periods in between. But it's not as bad as I thought it would be, I actually feel kind of good (except for the hunger waves).

I watched a BBC documentary called Eat, Fast and live longer. It was all about the benefits of fasting. It's great for losing weight and apparently a lack of carbs can make you live longer. Seems it's just good for your health to fast once a week.

There are different types of fasting too, like intermittent fasting where you don't eat for 16 hours and then eat all your calories in the 8 hour window.

Do you fast and do you have any strategies while doing it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Jesus was big into fasting, but he didn't live very long.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

I fast - I believe it is good for our body to be in a fasted state from time to time. However I can only comfortably fast by being on a low carbohydrate and high fat diet. My metabolism is always burning fat so whether I eat or not it can seamlessly switch from consumed fat to stored fat. Prior to this when I ate a more standard diet that included starches I would be hungry every three hours and there was no possibility of fasting. Now I typically eat two meals a day but on an occasional fast day I will skip the first and make a 20 hour fast or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I'm on week 6 where I fast every 4th day. The only strategy I employ is in the evenings I allow myself to drink a pint or 2 or warm milk to settle my stomach if it begins to feel 'rumbly'. Strictly speaking IF requires you not consume any calories at all while fasting so by drinking the milk I'm breaking the rules but I'm still reducing my weekly calories by approx 1/4 and that's good enough for me...especially since it's working and its easy to do , when you get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

colossus-x wrote: »
    I'm on week 6 where I fast every 4th day. The only strategy I employ is in the evenings I allow myself to drink a pint or 2 or warm milk to settle my stomach if it begins to feel 'rumbly'. Strictly speaking IF requires you not consume any calories at all while fasting so by drinking the milk I'm breaking the rules but I'm still reducing my weekly calories by approx 1/4 and that's good enough for me...especially since it's working and its easy to do , when you get used to it.

You're not fasting blah blah... 300 calories... blah blah.

Good on you for finding a way to make it work for you and meet your goals without being totally anal about it like a lot of people can be. With a lot of people it's perfect or nothing. I've been guilty of this myself a couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

Here is a link to information about fasting from Dr Jason Fung's blog for anyone who is interested.

https://intensivedietarymanagement.com/tag/fasting/

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Blacktie. wrote: »
    You're not fasting blah blah... 300 calories... blah blah.

Good on you for finding a way to make it work for you and meet your goals without being totally anal about it like a lot of people can be. With a lot of people it's perfect or nothing. I've been guilty of this myself a couple of times.

Right on, I fast every fourth day too, I just allow myself a roast dinner in the afternoon and a kit kat just before bed.

Go fasting!! WOO

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Right on, I fast every fourth day too, I just allow myself a roast dinner in the afternoon and a kit kat just before bed.

Cool story brah

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭AlphaRed

Mellor wrote: »
    Jesus was big into fasting, but he didn't live very long.

Are you stalking my posts as well? It's kind of flattering really.

They've done experiments with mice and they show mice with a restricted caloric intake live twice as long as mice with an unrestricted caloric diet.

So many diseases in the west are actually linked directly to our diet

AlphaRed wrote: »
    They've done experiments with mice and they show mice with a restricted caloric intake live twice as long as mice with an unrestricted caloric diet

This is so vague that it's essentially meaningless.

• Advertisement

This is so vague that it's essentially meaningless.

??????????????????????????

Mouse on the left: restricted calories
    Mouse on the right: unrestricted calories

Result: mouse on the left lives much longer

??????????????????????????

Mouse on the left: restricted calories
    Mouse on the right: unrestricted calories

Result: mouse on the left lives much longer

Yeah, the same formula works for humans too. Someone who restricts themselves to 2,000 calories a day is going to live longer than someone who eats 10,000 calories a day. Hardly groundbreaking is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

How restricted were the diets? What did they eat? What were the ones on unrestricted diets eating? How much above and beyond did they go?

Are you stalking my posts as well? It's kind of flattering really.

A reply to a post is stalking???
    :rolleyes:

Why would anyone want mice to live longer - the're a pest.

Btw Jesus lives eternally and 2.2 Billion people worship him. And he doesn't even lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

167.gif

Yeah, the same formula works for humans too. Someone who restricts themselves to 2,000 calories a day is going to live longer than someone who eats 10,000 calories a day. Hardly groundbreaking is it?

I think the experiments where a bit more nuanced than that
    How restricted were the diets? What did they eat? What were the ones on unrestricted diets eating? How much above and beyond did they go?

Read this:
    http://www.fasebj.org/content/20/6/631.full.pdf+html
    A reply to a post is stalking???
    :rolleyes:

When it's completely unrelated or vaguely related to the topic, and is more related to other posts I've made, yes it is.

When it's completely unrelated or vaguely related to the topic, and is more related to other posts I've made, yes it is.
    I've no idea what are you talking about tbh. what other posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

I think the experiments where a bit more nuanced than that

Read this:
    http://www.fasebj.org/content/20/6/631.full.pdf+html

Well they keep referring to "dietary restriction" as if it's a collective term. I suppose it is but it doesn't just mean fasting. They say right there in the abstract that some rats were intermittent fasting and some were on a 40% calorific reduction.

It also says that the rats on the calorific restriction lost more body weight than the intermittent fasting group and didn't suffer from any reduction in circadian activity, which the IF group did, especially in their fasted periods. It also seems to say that the effects on heart rate and blood pressure were similar as there was a gradual decrease in both for both groups.

This seems to suggest that eating less in general is better for the health of the rats which, as MagicMarker said, is hardly groundbreaking. Not only that but it seems to suggest that a normal calorie restrictive diet is better for your health than intermittent fasting.

I've no idea what are you talking about tbh. what other posts?

It looks to me like AlphaRed has set up a separate account to comment on the upcoming referendum and has tried to disguise it by popping in the odd comment in other forums. The 'other posts' he's referring too are probably posts in the fitness forum from his usual account.

Not surprising for someone on the NO side to be so underhand. How else cold they win. Mind your I find it rather reassuring that the No side feel the need to be so surreptitious. I hope Saturday is not your fasting day as it will be hard resist the egg on your face.

Mod, are 2 accounts allowed per user?

• Advertisement

It looks to me like AlphaRed has set up a separate account to comment on the upcoming referendum and has tried to disguise it by popping in the odd comment in other forums. The 'other posts' he's referring too are probably posts in the fitness forum from his usual account.

Not surprising for someone on the NO side to be so underhand. How else cold they win. Mind your I find it rather reassuring that the No side feel the need to be so surreptitious. I hope Saturday is not your fasting day as it will be hard resist the egg on your face.

Mod, are 2 accounts allowed per user?

You're talking out of your back side. Your comments have nothing to do with this thread.

You're talking out of your back side. Your comments have nothing to do with this thread.

Think this the only thread you have commented in that doesn't include some kind of anti-gay sentiment.

My back side highly recommends some English mustard with those eggs on you face today. Keep it away from your eyes though as it may sting and I'm sure you feel bad enough today as it is :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Think this the only thread you have commented in that doesn't include some kind of anti-gay sentiment.

My back side highly recommends some English mustard with those eggs on you face today. Keep it away from your eyes though as it may sting and I'm sure you feel bad enough today as it is :D.

Not a great day to fast. Too many parties. Alpha may not be invited.

Try not to be so obsessed
    galljga1 wrote: »
    Not a great day to fast. Too many parties. Alpha may not be invited.

All of this will lead to further study of homosexuality and scrutiny of your relationships with children that will finally expose the disorder that is homosexuality.

All of this will lead to further study of homosexuality and scrutiny of your relationships with children that will finally expose the disorder that is homosexuality.

I am straight and have two kids. None of us have a disorder but I would safely say you need scrutiny and I would not let a child near you.

Oh **** off you numpty.

Me obsessed? Your the one with the 150 odd postings ALL relating to the referendum. I'd say your a bit more obsessed then me.

Going back to the fasting I recommend to you the 1 month fasting diet. Just fast for one full month and all your problems will be solved in one fell swoop. And ours too. :D

Edit: Make it 50 days just to be on the safe side. :D

Me obsessed? Your the one with the 150 odd postings ALL relating to the referendum. I'd say your a bit more obsessed then me.

Going back to the fasting I recommend to you the 1 month fasting diet. Just fast for one full month and all your problems will be solved in one fell swoop. And ours too. :D

No water either.

Edit: Make it 50 days just to be on the safe side. :D

You actually read all my posts? You're a creep. Why don't you mind your own business about what I post or whether I fast.

• Advertisement

You actually read all my posts? You're a creep. Why don't you mind your own business about what I post or whether I fast.

lol

Of course I didn't read all of your posts. Your post COUNT is clearly displayed on the left there under your username as is the threads you posted in. It only takes one glance to see what your up too. Ha.

Sorry about commenting on your referendum opinions. I didn't realize it has noting to do with me at all even though the outcome affect me directly. I also didn't' realize your comments and opinions were private even though you post them on an open public forum. Silly me. Must remember not to read any more posts on boards. All I have to do is remember to mind my own business . :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement