Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermal Piercing and Scans??

Options
  • 15-05-2015 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, I have a dermal in my cleavage but I need to get an echocardiogram in a few weeks,does anyone know if I will have to get my piercing removed first? I really dont want to lose it. I rang a piercing studio and they couldnt give me a definite answer,they said for MRIs people usually had to remove them,but isnt MRI radiograph and echocardiogram sonograph? will that make a difference? if anyone with piercing experience or who knows more than I do about scans and stuff could help me out I would really appreciate it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

As it's similar to an ultrasound, I wouldn't imagine that there'd be any issue with it. Especially if you talk it through with those carrying it out.
    I've had MRIs with my piercing still in, I had a chat with them and explained that as it's made of titanium, it's a non magnetic metal, and so should be completely unaffected by the MRI. (The MRI wasn't of that area) They just gave me a panic button just in case. (For their own peace of mind I believe!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 omfgitsaoife

Thanks! Problem is my piercing is in the centre of my chest and thats the general area they are focusing on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

It's a sonogram, there is no issue with any type of metal with sonograms. It may be a bit uncomfortable though trying to get the sonogram over the piercing area because sometimes they need to press down to get good images.

Advertisement