Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone here holiday alone?

Options
  • 10-05-2015 7:39pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭

Anyone here holiday alone? I'm in my late 20s and anxious to take a sun holiday this summer to Greece, but for one reason or another friends, etc. cannot go. Do people here ever go on holidays alone? Does it get lonely? Would a guy alone be weird going clubbing etc?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Billy no mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Anyone here holiday alone? I'm in my late 20s and anxious to take a sun holiday this summer to Greece, but for one reason or another friends, etc. cannot go. Do people here ever go on holidays alone? Does it get lonely? Would a guy alone be weird going clubbing etc?!

Going clubbing in general in your late twenties would be weird in my opinion lol

However no, nothing wrong with holidaying alone. Having time away to yourself is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I usually go on holidays alone along with my wife. I have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭AlphaRed

Don't let the lack of company stop you. Be a social mother****3r and chat to everyone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Yeah, most days of the week, in front of my laptop...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

If you are out going you are sure to hook up with a few others once you are over there.

If you feel self conscious just tell anyone who asks that your friend was due to come but there mother/father/goldfish became sick at the last minute and opted not to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Normally go on holidays on my own, a holiday for me is a break away from the cnuts you see every other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Yes, only recently in fact.

I was starting to let work get on top of me, and was having a few relationship difficulties with my partner. Decided to pack my suitcase and head back to Ireland for a week. Spent a few days travelling around Kerry - hiking, sea swimming, cycling, eating seafood.

Then headed over to West Cork for a 3 day mindfulness retreat. Deep meditation, no Internet or phone, no talking, and most importantly, no incessant nagging.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 369 ✭✭walkingshadow

I guess I could always join a group holiday like Contiki or GAdventures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Dr. Zaius Dr. Zaius!

I've never holidayed alone, but would like to. I love being alone so its something that appeals to me. Going to a new place, exploring it at my own leisure, nobody to annoy me? Why not!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭AlphaRed

Why do you call yourself walking shadow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Did once and it was great. I'd love to do it again but wouldn't get the time these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,live your own life and fcuk what anyone else thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Markdwire

I want go too Sweden to boogie with some blondes.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

Holiday? Is that an activity?

Have a few friends who holiday alone, a woman who recently travelled around India alone, another who goes to Eastern Europe a lot by himself and will just stroll into bars in the middle of nowhere and make friends with locals and stay in touch with them, another who goes backpacking in exotic places alone but wil usually hook up with other backpackers when there. They all swear by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

Yes, I have done and still go on holidays on my own. If you wait for other people all the time you may never get to see or do anything. Some people wouldn't even go to a pub on their own because they are afraid of what other people will think. I say fcuk that, do what you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

It depends on the holiday. I'd quite like a night or weekend away on my own in a spa resort in the middle of nowhere, but something like a beach holiday in Greece, minimum a week, would be more requiring of company I think. You could make friends with people while there, but you don't know how easy that would be either. Whatever about just a couple of beers by the pool, heading out at night alone to late bars/clubs wouldn't be much fun IMO.

Aren't there companies that do dealies with a few disparate folks travelling as a group, and a coach organised for them and whatnot?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Aren't there companies that do dealies with a few disparate folks travelling as a group, and a coach organised for them and whatnot?

Read that as desperate first, and was just about to comment 'twas a bit harsh :pac:

Anyway, my dad holidays alone. Usually hires a mountain bike and heads off for the day. Has his dinner then chills in the bar for a bit before bed. He'd be a woeful conversationalist as well but he always manages to enjoy himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

I've been on several trips to Amsterdam alone as I'm a bit of a history buff (with a penchant for good hash,south east Asian hookers and good beer) and I thoroughly enjoyed myself every time.I don't know if I could do a sun holiday on my lonesome though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Yeah I go to magaluf on my own every summer to ride loads of scruffy young ones to make up for the lack of company in my non-holiday life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Yeah I go to magaluf on my own every summer to ride loads of scruffy young ones to make up for the lack of company in my non-holiday life.

Is it any good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

.....I only had one real genuine foreign holiday, a bus tour around Europe taking in Berlin, Copenhagen Amsterdam Munich etc. I had a great time.

I find 2 weeks on a beach very boring and not fun enough if you are on your own. So i did not go on holidays for 14 yrs after that.

When I got married I have been on holidays every year since then and find it enjoyable enough as we spend some time together and some time alone.

We went to Austria last year and I found it the best holiday of the lot, Alpine meadows, Stunning scenery, nice people etc...also Southern Germany.

Worst was Portugal, the Algarve my daughter got sick and that did not help but the people are very honest helpful and upfront about everything and that helped. Parts of that holiday were fine but the others were so good that it did not stack up as a place to revisit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭xhoundx

Look on the positives, what happens on holiday stays on holiday, unless you tell on yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Is it any good?

I was just messing but yeah Magaluf is great...you get what you pay for (which is f*ck all)...sh*tty accommodation but access to great sessions, great clubs full of women and other party people...perfect lads holiday...would be a haunting experience for a regular person to go there on their own though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I've been abroad a lot on my own. PM me if you need advice, I couldn't be bothered writing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You could invent a whole new persona for yourself.

"Hi I'm Fabio, I can fit a live duck in my mouth" ;)

Call it a vacation from YOURSELF. Just don't choose the Mars special agent program...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I do yeah, do what you want when you want no debates or negotiations

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I traveled around the Balkans for 6 weeks by myself a couple of years ago. I completely loved it. I've done a couple of other short trips as well.

I work in hospitality so I often like to just go to a bar in peace when I'm off, because I spend so much time being made to make small talk.

I went on an all-inclusive to Morocco last year by myself, that was a bit hard going. I had some things to deal with at the time and the resort was ****, but generally, if you want to do it, you should be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Depends, I have done a small bit on my own, I have seen people do it and have a blast, but I don't think I would enjoy it too much myself, its fine if your happy to go out and meet random strangers. I would definitely suggest hostels though, its a good way to meet other solo travellers and to do things. I have the fortune to have friends who like the odd good holiday and it makes it a lot more fun to travel with easy going people. I would say try a weekend break solo to test the waters, if that appeals then go for it !

Advertisement