Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Note left on windscreen of car

Options
  • 07-05-2015 6:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭

I'm not sure where to post this but I'll try here.

This morning I was dropping my kids off to school on the way to work and I inadvertently parked on double yellow lines while I walked the kids to school. I was probably gone about 10 minutes.

Fairs fair, I was on double yellow lines and if I had got a parking ticket for that then I would have no complaint about it.

However, when I got back to the car and got into it and drove off I noticed a note stuck under the wiper of the car. I pulled in down the road and removed it. It was a cowardly anonymous note. It was a copy of a letter that the school had circulated several months due to ludicrous parking all around the school which led to emergency services not being able to access a housing estate to attend to a sick child which, of course, was a disgrace.

Now, while I was on double yellow lines, I was not blocking the road in any shape or form but I was clearly in the wrong for parking there in the 1st place. The note that I received was deeply unpleasant and was signed off at the end in what can only described as infantile handwriting with a statement that said my parking on double yellow lines had been reported to the Gardai!

Of course, the coward who did this sought to do this anonymously so I have no idea who they are.

My question is this, as they have clearly interfered with my private property whilst parked on a public road and they have no right to do so, what legal action can I take against them? Is there any law that they have broken that they can be prosecuted under? Or is this just a civil matter and, as such, would merit some sort of compensation?

I intend to engage a investigator to track down this loser and subsequently unleash my solicitor at him or her but I was wondering if anyone knew of a similar case before I go down this road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Are you the Equaliser?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

In my personal opinion you parked on double yellows outside a school when clearly you were aware of the schools intention trying to prevent such parking because of the incident you mentioned.

So you have no argument here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Anger is a very destructive emotion.

You were in the wrong. No one got hurt.

Let it go and move on with your life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

chewed wrote: »
    Are you the Equaliser?

Not at all. I just don't like losers/cowards taking liberties with my property. It's not on. Plain and simple.

Plus this is a legal question and not a commuting and transport subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Help!!!!

Do you drive a 4x4?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭mayway

slinky2000 wrote: »
    In my personal opinion you parked on double yellows outside a school when clearly you were aware of the schools intention trying to prevent such parking because of the incident you mentioned.

So have no argument here.

Absolutely. I made a mistake and would have gladly accepted a parking ticket from a legitimate source. But a cowardly note from an anonymous loser? No thanks. They would have had to interfere with my property to to put in under the wiper and that is not acceptable to me. Surely, they must be breaking some law?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Have you proof of damage caused?

As far as I am aware you need to have suffered a loss to get compensation.

But please don't take my word for it, hire a solicitor they have been short of work since the property bubble burst and need the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I'm not sure how there could be any liability here? There was no damage done

mayway wrote: »
    Absolutely. I made a mistake and would have gladly accepted a parking ticket from a legitimate source. But a cowardly note from an anonymous loser? No thanks. They would have had to interfere with my property to to put in under the wiper and that is not acceptable to me. Surely, they must be breaking some law?

I'm sure you get leaflets for car valeting services and the like all the time under your wipers like the rest of us. Do you take legal action against those companies too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Not at all. I just don't like losers/cowards taking liberties with my property. It's not on. Plain and simple.

Liberties with your property. Indeed.

Love the talk of legal action as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Are you for real? You trying to be all correct and talking about liberties to your property but what about the danger at schools because of lazy parking by people like you? Yehh you may not of been blocking a road but all it takes is for a little kid to walk out between two parked cars onto an on coming car that sees the kid at last minute. Id say learn your lesson and get over it and park properly next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You are kidding, right? Compensation?! A civil matter!!?!

Because if you are actually complaining about someone leaving a note on your car referring to the fact you were breaking the law then you really need to cop onto yourself. And don't park like a gob in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Carraig Fhearghais

I found a leaflet under my wiper, advertising a circus which was in the locality, wonder can I sue them for the same thing?
    :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I intend to engage a investigator to track down this loser and subsequently unleash my solicitor at him or her but I was wondering if anyone knew of a similar case before I go down this road.

I'd be delighted to help you track down this evil person. Our rates are very reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

If I say to you here on boards that you shouldn't of been parked on double yellow lines will you sue me?

Your level of entitlement astounds me. It was almost as if they have built the road just for you and screw everyone else no matter what the law says.

I have the feeling you could prob walk to school......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I'm not sure where to post this but I'll try here.

This morning I was dropping my kids off to school on the way to work and I inadvertently parked on double yellow lines while I walked the kids to school. I was probably gone about 10 minutes.

Fairs fair, I was on double yellow lines and if I had got a parking ticket for that then I would have no complaint about it.

However, when I got back to the car and got into it and drove off I noticed a note stuck under the wiper of the car. I pulled in down the road and removed it. It was a cowardly anonymous note. It was a copy of a letter that the school had circulated several months due to ludicrous parking all around the school which led to emergency services not being able to access a housing estate to attend to a sick child which, of course, was a disgrace.

Now, while I was on double yellow lines, I was not blocking the road in any shape or form but I was clearly in the wrong for parking there in the 1st place. The note that I received was deeply unpleasant and was signed off at the end in what can only described as infantile handwriting with a statement that said my parking on double yellow lines had been reported to the Gardai!

Of course, the coward who did this sought to do this anonymously so I have no idea who they are.

My question is this, as they have clearly interfered with my private property whilst parked on a public road and they have no right to do so, what legal action can I take against them? Is there any law that they have broken that they can be prosecuted under? Or is this just a civil matter and, as such, would merit some sort of compensation?

It's a waste of time and money going the legal route but there is another thing you can do.

STOP PARKING ON DOUBLE YELLOW LINES.

I think you are totally in the wrong and you know it, the only reason your pissed off is because you were told it.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

Any reason to think that someone from the school left it under the wiper seeing as it was a copy of a school letter? Wouldn't that be the most obvious 'culprit'?

And no one 'took liberties' with your property. Would you track down someone who put a flyer there too in a car park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭Tommy Kelly

Nothing you can do and please try not to park illegally again.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

What liberties did they take? The note under the windscreen? Hardly a liberty. Also the infantile scrawl could have been an elderly persons writing. Not worth getting your pants in a knot over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

You must live a very troubled life. I hope this is a piss take.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Do you think that it could of been the school who put it on your car?

Residents are fed up of parents parking cars and blocking the road for 10 minutes at a time would keep complaining to the head and they took action by sending out letters to you at home and are now having to leave the note under your window wiper to make sure you get the message!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

A bit of paper, solicitors? Do you overreact to everything in life?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭furiousox

"It was a cowardly anonymous note...."
    "The note that I received was deeply unpleasant..."

"It was a copy of a letter that the school had circulated"

:confused:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

So basically the OP knows they are in the wrong but doesnt like being called out on it.

furiousox wrote: »
    "It was a cowardly anonymous note...."
    "The note that I received was deeply unpleasant..."

"It was a copy of a letter that the school had circulated"

:confused:

Clearly one of these 'Look at me in my big SUV, I'm someone' Mammy's.

They think they an get away with everything, like parking illegally but dare leave a note on their windscreen informing them that they are breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Clearly one of these 'Look at me in my big SUV, I'm someone' Mammy's.

They think they an get away with everything, like parking illegally but dare leave a note on their windscreen informing them that they are breaking the law.

I put it to you Tommy, that you placed a note under the windscreen wiper of my client's SUV on the day in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

How do you "inadvertently park on double yellow lines"? Unless you're blind. In which case...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Would you sue the warden putting a ticket on your windscreen?

• Advertisement

I put it to you Tommy, that you placed a note under the windscreen wiper of my client's SUV on the day in question.

No. If I came across it I would have put a brick straight through it though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement