Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NBP: May update

Options
  • 05-05-2015 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

The Department have issued their monthly update. It's mostly a re-hash of old news.

Infrastructure Sharing
    The idea of a database of shared infrastructure appears to have been canned.
    The register will simply re-direct enquiries to the relevant website of the infrastructure owner. The form is here.

FTTH in Cavan.
    Either the people of Rocklands are too sparing in their praise, or ESB/Voda are installing the world's worst Fibre-to-the-Home in Cavan.
    61% of respondents said that buffering had improved (48% significantly)

So apparently 39% thought otherwise.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

You would be absolutely astonished at the number of people with ten-year-old, malware-ridden Windows XP computers struggling to even boot with 1GB of RAM who blame their ISP for the fact that "the Internet" is slow. Gigabit fttx isn't going to change that; it will still be the ISP's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

clohamon wrote: »
    So apparently 39% thought otherwise.

You could have fibre from your door direct to RTÉ and still experience buffering. YouTube not much better at times. If it's regular RTÉ Player use that is being reflected in those figures, it's no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

RTE don't have enough server / upload bandwidth for anything other than small percentage of users. Anything popular and it falls over.
    For the same program for 2 Million viewers simultaneously in HD, even terrestrial is cheaper.
    The Oireachtas web feeds only work because they don't have much demand.

Youtube you are limited by bandwidth to wherever Google has servers. Netflix works best on UPC because they have servers in UPC.

The idea of a database of shared infrastructure appears to have been canned.
    Mainly because NRA won't play nice. Madness.
    Bord Gais / Aurora?

Depressing.

I think the NBP is now dead. Or at best "undead".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭clohamon

watty wrote: »
    Mainly because NRA won't play nice. Madness.
    Bord Gais / Aurora?

Depressing.

I think the NBP is now dead. Or at best "undead".

The register has now been published and Hibernian Towers and the Commissioners of Irish Lights have supplied their data, but a Register of owner's URLs is a long way from what is envisaged by the European Directive and seeing as it isn't law yet (latest possible implementation 1/07/2016) it looks like eircom and ESB and the others are not co-operating in any meaningful way.

• Advertisement

And our regulators are as forceful as dead fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

Look like wireless companys are trying to stick there broadband down rural people.There gona sue the government over the NBP being base just on fibre.

rob808 wrote: »
    Look like wireless companys are trying to stick there broadband down rural people.There gona sue the government over the NBP being base just on fibre.

I think the biggest danger is some amateur value engineer from the Department of Finance having an opinion. And politically, there's no votes in long term planning.

a) The Gov NBP is almost dead anyway.
    b) The NBP should be a MINIMUM peak time 20Mbps after contention, maybe more. Only dedicated Commercial links can provide that. I don't know of any consumer Fixed Wireless that can assure much more than 8Mbps at peak time.
    c) If Wireless was part of it (other than as below), the Dept wouldn't differentiate Mobile 4G and high performance fixed Microwave links. People would be offered 4G, which can't actually deliver ordinary broadband. The 3G NBS didn't give anyone broadband.

Fixed wireless is a good alternative to DSL at more than 2km. It's not economic except for single users for superfast broadband (More than 20Mbps Minimum, ideally more than 100Mbps).

Mobile, even 4G in 20MHz channels isn't a contender at all.

There should be a USO (Universal Coverage), then some people will be fed with Fixed Wireless off Fibre, perhaps 4 or 5 could share a base depending on band and channel size, but no more. That's not economical for standalone Wireless ISPs. It has to be subsidised by the fibre customers otherwise it would be maybe €200 a month for fast Broadband speeds.

Rural people MUST get real fast Broadband too, though urban 100Mbps isn't feasible for isolated rural without USO and massive subsidy.

Since the NBP may not start till 2022, or ever, any court case is moot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I posted this in the Broadband forum last night ...

I was just at a community broadband group meeting, where there was a guest speaker from our local WISP - Munster Broadband.

He says the articles in the weekend papers had John McDonnell totally misinterpreted and the journo put 2 and 2 together and got how long was a piece of string. eek.png

They had previously stated that if they were to stand a chance of competing for the NBP with a Wireless offering, they would need access to the 3.5/3.6Ghz range of licensed spectrum which COMREG is refusing and the DCENR don't want to get involved.

Apparently John McDonnell has contacted the DCENR and told them that there is no threat to sue or impede the NBP. They want the fibre that is likely to be rolled out as part of the NBP to remain in government/semi-state control and for the WISPs to able to re-sell internet services at a reasonable cost.

The future is fibre my friends and nobody (except maybe Three) can argue that.

• Advertisement

Among the future items noted in the department's June update
    A site visit is planned to view a fixed-wireless trial by Ripplecom

They also met with BDUK. Presumably to discuss how not to do a broadband intervention.

Among the future items noted in the department's June update

They also met with BDUK. Presumably to discuss how not to do a broadband intervention.
    Oh no hope ripplecom don't get a slice of pie with NBP I want my FTTH like doh lucky 300,000 address :D

Oh no hope ripplecom don't get a slice of pie with NBP I want my FTTH like doh lucky 300,000 address :D

No mention of the outcome of this visit in the July update. Maybe it wasn't worthwhile :p.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    No mention of the outcome of this visit in the July update. Maybe it wasn't worthwhile :p.
    Well at least now we have a date hopefully fibre the main technology.It the only real future proof technology that can keep given higher speed as need.

Well at least now we have a date hopefully fibre the main technology.It the only real future proof technology that can keep given higher speed as need.

Amen brother. ;)

Oh dear - Ripplecom got into the August update ... however no mention of the speeds being achieved - but since it was only 7 customers, I'm sure they were greeeeaaaatttttt altogether!!! ;)

Oh and somebody spent a few quid and brought their website into the mid-naughties!!! :p

Oh dear - Ripplecom got into the August update ... however no mention of the speeds being achieved - but since it was only 7 customers, I'm sure they were greeeeaaaatttttt altogether!!! ;)

Oh and somebody spent a few quid and brought their website into the mid-naughties!!! :p
    That great now add more and watch that speed drop fast:).I wouldn't like to be stuck with ripplecom.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

That great now add more and watch that speed drop fast:).I wouldn't like to be stuck with ripplecom.
    I am based in Limerick and had the previous incarnation of them called ICE Broadband and that was a lesson in how NOT to operate a broadband provider. I really hope we don't get saddled with Rippofcom

seaniefr wrote: »
    I am based in Limerick and had the previous incarnation of them called ICE Broadband and that was a lesson in how NOT to operate a broadband provider. I really hope we don't get saddled with Rippofcom
    I'm with you there man there terrible and so is imagine they keep trying to lower the speed of NBP.Im hoping for Eircom and siro to win most of the NBP.

I'm with you there man there terrible and so is imagine they keep trying to lower the speed of NBP.Im hoping for Eircom and siro to win most of the NBP.
    I Think if the DCENR had any cop they would ask Ripplesh*t to show them their current worse case scenario as in a repeater feeding loads of customers not just 7 and carry out the the tests from 7 to 10 maybe in the evening?https://www.inex.ie/technical/stats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

seaniefr wrote: »
    I am based in Limerick and had the previous incarnation of them called ICE Broadband and that was a lesson in how NOT to operate a broadband provider.

We were with them too, nightmare, their local mast was run off a diesel generator and when the fuel ran out the tank had to be teleported off the hill to the local service station a few miles away when a teleporter became available. We were often without service for a week or more. Towards the end they were telling customers an ESB line to the mast was being arranged, never happened of course.

Their replacement in the area, Munster Broadband, have been pretty much hassle free for the last 5-6 years, albeit only 3 Mb down, still more consistent than the local eircom dsl offering.

I Think if the DCENR had any cop
    You mean the folks that believed 3G Mobile that had to be rolled out anyway to meet licence conditions could be offered as a 3Mbps minimum always on, low latency broadband and foisted the NBS on Ireland?

watty wrote: »
    You mean the folks that believed 3G Mobile that had to be rolled out anyway to meet licence conditions could be offered as a 3Mbps minimum always on, low latency broadband and foisted the NBS on Ireland?
    yep the same Watty but in a parallel universe 😄

Advertisement