Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sacred Cows (people no one dares criticise)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Ryanair nowadays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

househero wrote: »
    Sexton.

He fails us every single time we need him. Stupidly easy kicks. But the media lick the chocolate from his cheeks

That you Rog?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

That you Rog?

Nah, its MadDog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

Wang King wrote: »
    People with disabilities..
    Some of them can be proper cnuts
    Like my neighbour. He's a cuntt and we all agree he is. But his disability isn't the reason for him being a cuntt.
    Is it really deemed out of line to criticise a disabled person for their personality, which is separate to their disability? I wouldn't have thought so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

There was a a great thread a month or so back, dont recall the topic, where some one was having it pointed out to them that Mother Theresa was far from a saint. They just couldnt accept, wouldnt read any of the links, head straight in the sand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Martin Luther King

A preacher, married man and a man of God and he could have made Tiger Woods jealous with the amount of women he had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭2cool4school

special olympians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Brian O' Driscoll

yup the speed that he put on and has now lost muscle is indicative of either very good natural genetics or peds
    there was a radio show discussing peds in rugby and it was mentioned that brian was tested once in god knows how many games and the interviewer went mad
    #all yer man had been saying was that to check that bod had really good genetics and wasn't being fed the good stuff by his parents/doctors wouldn't be the worst idea ever

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think the OP means individuals who are fawned over and it seems totally against the grain to criticise them.

I would have said this was the case with Stephen Fry before, but I think people are seeing what he can be like now.

I'd always thought Stephen Fry had been roundly criticised and held up for the pseudo-intellectual albeit articulate windbag he is.

Mother Teresa came as a bit of a surprise though upon her death. Never heard a bad word about her when she was alive, but soon as she popped her clogs, all the critics came out of hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Martin Luther King

A preacher, married man and a man of God and he could have made Tiger Woods blush with the amount of women he had.

how would you know he was blushing

also

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

That eurovision twat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Tigger wrote: »
    how would you know he was blushing

Hah, you got me there :pac:

Chloris wrote: »
    That eurovision twat
    Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Especially a certain young one who talks sh1te and everyone puts her on a pedestal, you know who I mean don't you?

All of them. Particularly the one for this year? She's a teenager. The song is even more unlistenable than your usual Eurovision bilge and any time I hear anything about her it's "Oh isn't she fab, so young to be representing us!"

It's irritating because we're a country teeming with unrecognised musical genius and because of the XFactor culture, we're sending that crap.

I don't care one iota about the competition but it feels like a poor representation of something we're good at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Like my neighbour. He's a cuntt and we all agree he is. But his disability isn't the reason for him being a cuntt.
    Is it really deemed out of line to criticise a disabled person for their personality, which is separate to their disability? I wouldn't have thought so.

Depends on the disability.

Aspergers for example. You can't criticise it when the behaviour gets pinned in the disability.

Or even depression.

Always wondered how do you know when it's the illness or when someone's just being a jerk?

Erra people tear Eurovision performers to shreds all the time, pay no heed and just focus on the good stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Matta Harri

Completely agree. I work with people with physical and sensory disabilities and find a disproportionate amount to be pricks.

They have been shielded and spoiled all their lives that they now hold a huge belief of self entitlement.

This is usually if they were born with the disability more so than having developed the disability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭blackcard

Gene Kerrigan
    Shane Ross
    Eddie Hobbs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Che Guevara.. was a pretty homophobic guy tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Michael Collins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

deseil wrote: »
    Nelson Mandela

That reminds me of something the comedian Jerry Sadowitz once said. Back in the 1980s, when the stand-up comedy circuit was very 'right-on', another comedian dared him to slag Nelson Mandela off. So he walked on stage and began his routine by saying: "Nelson Mandela, what a cunt."

The next night, he thought of a punchline: "You lend some people a fiver and you never hear from them again."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

blackcard wrote: »
    Gene Kerrigan
    Shane Ross
    Eddie Hobbs
    I met Eddie snobbs but who are the other two?

blackcard wrote: »
    Gene Kerrigan
    Shane Ross
    Eddie Hobbs
    Eddie Hobbs gets slated. Haven't noticed any real adulation for Shane Ross or Gene Kerrigan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

I wonder will this thread end up being reams and reams of people who are constantly criticised? Yes. Yes I think it will.

It already has.
    I think the OP means individuals who are fawned over and it seems totally against the grain to criticise them.

I did mean that, but people just like to bitch about the same tired topics and people over again. I thought this thread might be a chance for some originality.

Yeah, I can't say I agree with the disabilities one.

As somebody who works with children and adults who have physical and cognitive difficulties, they all differ hugely in terms of personality and to say "they" as a group, can be horrible people is to make a completely unfair sweeping generalisation...

Then again, that is the point of the thread. However, maybe you should consider a change of career if somebody who has had to endure physical or mental pain and anguish every day of their life, who is in your care, for money, strikes you as a real c*nt. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

In fairness, Gene Kerrigan's tendency to 'nail it' every week in the Sunday Independent has made him a bit of a sacred cow. Although I can't think of anything critical to say about him.

Eddie Hobbs, on the other hand, seems like a bit of a bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭blackcard

Eddie Hobbs gets slated. Haven't noticed any real adulation for Shane Ross or Gene Kerrigan.

Agreed. But they constantly criticise others and have never done anything positive themselves to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

RayM wrote: »
    That reminds me of something the comedian Jerry Sadowitz once said. Back in the 1980s, when the stand-up comedy circuit was very 'right-on', another comedian dared him to slag Nelson Mandela off. So he walked on stage and began his routine by saying: "Nelson Mandela, what a cunt."

The next night, he thought of a punchline: "You lend some people a fiver and you never hear from them again."

How is that a punchline? A punchline complements a feed line, creating a joke.

See this example, from Les Dawson.

Feed line: "There is a remote tribe that worships the number zero."

+ Punchline: "Is nothing sacred?"

= Joke

Sadowitz's line is not a punchline. It's just a sentence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,516 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

Scumbags...

In the eyes of easily swayed judges; "Poor Rashers never stood a chance in life, coming as he did from a long line of scumbags who forcefully inducted him against his will into the fraternity of the scumbag, none of his crimes have been his fault. Twenty minutes community service you loveable little rascal".

Advertisement