Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman gets suspended sentence for assaulting child

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I've just put my 6 yr old to bed there. The thoughts of anyone attacking her in her bed. I'll be honest. If it was my daughter I would break every bone in her body.

There was an ex IRA fella jailed there today for abusing 2 little girls. But not before their father battered him with a golf club, breaking it over him, and stabbing him in the chest with the broken shaft. Now that's justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭JRant

That is a scandalously lenient sentence.

Take for example this case just yesterday;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3062653/A-parent-s-worst-nightmare-Nursery-assistant-caught-camera-abusing-toddlers-SMOTHERING-one-blanket-force-sleep-Spain.html

4 years is about right for what that person did.

This animal should be looking at major wack for attacking and serverly beating a child in her care.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Mean while in the real world, women drunk after 11 pints falls into a pot hole and is awarded 38k.

Women falls down esculator cause there was no sign for lift awarded 60k

Ireland.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Mean while in the real world, women drunk after 11 pints falls into a pot hole and is awarded 38k.

Women falls down esculator cause there was no sign for lift awarded 60k

Ireland.

Where? When? Links?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Holy shít. I read a few comments before looking at the article and was expecting it to be a couple of slaps which left a mark and someone reported or something. She threw her child up against a wall. Sorry but no. She should have the child taken off her. This is speaking as a child that was kicked into the corner of a room by my mother as a child and she told me it was her PMS that made her do. Emotionally, mentally and physically abused me for years after, put me down so much, told me no one else wanted me so there was no point telling anyone cause no one else cared about me. (Turned 18, got the hell out of there) I hope to God that this doesn't happen to little boy, but IMO that is not a risk that should be allowed to happen to him after what his mother did. Plenty of loving people out there desperate for a child that would give him a safe secure home. Despicable result.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Where? When? Links?

Read the threads on here

TallGlass wrote: »
    Read the threads on here

I read a thread where a woman didn't get €38k for falling when drunk and a woman didn't get €60k for falling on an escalator. So thought your post interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

PLL wrote: »
    Holy shít. I read a few comments before looking at the article and was expecting it to be a couple of slaps which left a mark and someone reported or something. She threw her child up against a wall. Sorry but no. She should have the child taken off her. This is speaking as a child that was kicked into the corner of a room by my mother as a child and she told me it was her PMS that made her do. Emotionally, mentally and physically abused me for years after, put me down so much, told me no one else wanted me so there was no point telling anyone cause no one else cared about me. (Turned 18, got the hell out of there) I hope to God that this doesn't happen to little boy, but IMO that is not a risk that should be allowed to happen to him after what his mother did. Plenty of loving people out there desperate for a child that would give him a safe secure home. Despicable result.

It wasn't her child, she's broken up with the father who has sole custody, there is no taking off her

sorry to hear about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭NotYourYear20

It's beyong comprehension how anybody could do that to a child. Ironic how Ireland has in recent years, tried to tighten up its child potection laws and this is how the judciary ends up 'punishing' a nutjob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

John Berry BL, defending, told the court that his client had suffered a miscarriage the previous month and was suffering from depression and drinking heavily.
    So she was so depressed at losing a child she beat the shit out of another child. Makes sense.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 40 shooterjay

where was the dad ? this makes me sick, plus the part where she fell asleep with the child ? shows how trusting chidren are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

The evil stepmother cliché is a real thing.

I normally give judges a bit of slack because they know the law a lot better than any of the non legal eagles among us obviously, but what sort of clown would someone have to be to deem this as warranting only a suspended sentence due to the person being "under pressure" at the time.
    It really does seem like "Go soft on the wimmenz".

I normally give judges a bit of slack because they know the law a lot better than any of the non legal eagles among us obviously, but what sort of clown would someone have to be to deem this as warranting only a suspended sentence due to the person being "under pressure" at the time.

well its the victim thing. she had it rough, its not like her your honor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

shooterjay wrote: »
    where was the dad ? this makes me sick, plus the part where she fell asleep with the child ? shows how trusting chidren are

That's the spirit , blame the father , if you read the article it states he was gone to work

whupdedo wrote: »
    That's the spirit , blame the father , if you read the article it states he was gone to work

wasnt blameing him fella, relax.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

shooterjay wrote: »
    wasnt blameing him fella, relax.

Of course you were. Blaming him or at the very least trying to divert blame away from her. Feel free to provide an alternative explanation.

psinno wrote: »
    Of course you were. Blaming him or at the very least trying to divert blame away from her. Feel free to provide an alternative explanation.

i was simpley asking where he was. god dam you boys have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I'd normally be among the few people myself who would try to acknowledge the mitigating circumstances in cases like these, that may explain, not excuse, but explain, how any adult human being, man or woman, could do something like this to a child.

I'm really struggling with this one tbh as the excessive alcohol involved, her mental health difficulties, the fact she'd recently suffered a miscarriage... none of it still makes sense as to why she would drag a child out of bed to viciously beat them like that, and she was only 25?

There's an awful lot missing in that story and yet I still can't bring myself to see how a judge could possibly justify a suspended sentence in this case, and the judges closing comments upon passing judgment simply indicate his level of utter incompetence.

I don't think this has anything to do with the fact she was a woman (it's already been pointed out in this thread alone that this particular judge is just as lenient upon men who have been sentenced for rape), but I think it simply has to do with the fact that this judge has a reputation for lenient sentencing. I really can't see an appeal being lodged against the leniency of the sentence here tbh, and somehow I imagine the child's father will want to put this behind him and not have to let the child continue to suffer.

I will say fair play to the medical staff at the hospital though who spotted the signs and notified the Gardaí. It's rare they get a mention in cases like these, let alone the credit they're due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭zeffabelli

Yes it is a real thing, same with step dads, not to malign all of them by any means because many are the saviours of many children that is for certain.

All too often step mothers are left to care for the kids, kids that are not theirs, just because they are the female head of household.

Who knows how much resentment had built up over the years of raising another woman's child. Who knows how much responsibility was put on her? Or how her partner treated her.

Then she conceived herself, miscarried her own child and is left to care for this abandoned child rejected by its own biological mother.

Who knows what was induced while so inebriated, did suddenly all that rage and resentment that she may have been sitting on for years suddenly erupt. Was she using the child to punish his father? Was this something she really wanted to do to the dad?

I'm curious about intent here and curious as to how they fell asleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Yes it is a real thing, same with step dads, not to malign all of them by any means because many are the saviours of many children that is for certain.

All too often step mothers are left to care for the kids, kids that are not theirs, just because they are the female head of household.

Who knows how much resentment had built up over the years of raising another woman's child. Who knows how much responsibility was put on her? Or how her partner treated her.

Then she conceived herself, miscarried her own child and is left to care for this abandoned child rejected by its own biological mother.

Who knows what was induced while so inebriated, did suddenly all that rage and resentment that she may have been sitting on for years suddenly erupt. Was she using the child to punish his father? Was this something she really wanted to do to the dad?

I'm curious about intent here and curious as to how they fell asleep.

She bet lumps out of a sleeping child, part of the attack was with a weapon. The child was hospitalised, and even taken into care as a result.
    How can you try to defend or justify that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

pablo128 wrote: »
    She bet lumps out of a sleeping child, part of the attack was with a weapon. The child was hospitalised, and even taken into care as a result.
    How could they possibly be construed as trying to defend or justify it?

Asking why she did it is not trying to defend or justify it. It's a reasonable question - if we could isolate "why" people do depraved sh-t like this (when the vast majority don't, even those with extremely hard lives) we might have better insight for saving their victims.

pablo128 wrote: »

I'm not. I'm baffled and trying to piece together or figure out what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

zeffabelli wrote: »
    Who knows how much resentment had built up over the years of raising another woman's child.

I wouldn't think too much resentment would build up in the 7 months she lived with the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Im sorry but the father has some case to answer here too, he knew her 2 months when she had moved in and in less than 7 months she was pregnant, miscarried and he had left her in charge of his child?? That is pretty irresponsible by anyones standards

Im sorry but the father has some case to answer here too, he knew her 2 months when she had moved in and in less than 7 months she was pregnant, miscarried and he had left her in charge of his child?? That is pretty irresponsible by anyones standards

There's no need to apologise for it, but the child's father has no case to answer for here. Total responsibility for her actions in this case lie with the woman herself and it was her admission that she was wholly responsible, and her guilty plea that contributed to the leniency of the sentence she was given.

The child's father didn't force this woman to attack the child. Even the child's father initially didn't believe his girlfriend was capable of such cruelty, to the point where he initially didn't believe the child. I can't imagine how guilty he must feel now for leaving his child in her... "care".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Unless the father knew this woman was a danger then he has no case to answer

eviltwin wrote: »

but thinking shes "off" and thinking she would do that are different things

eviltwin wrote: »

He chose not to believe his child. We've seen this before in sex abuse cases and how the child feels when not believed. Is there not even a teeny tiny bit of accountability there?

He moved in with a woman two months into knowing her and gave her a step mother role.... naive at best......

We surely don't know enough to analyse the role of the father.

For example, he may have left her mind the kid knowing she had downed 1 bottle and with 2 more on the kitchen table. On the other hand, she may have bought them herself after he left. Either way, he wasn't charged with anything so we know he committed no crime, that is all.

• Advertisement

We surely don't know enough to analyse the role of the father.

For example, he may have left her mind the kid knowing she had downed 1 bottle and with 2 more on the kitchen table. On the other hand, she may have bought them herself after he left. Either way, he wasn't charged with anything so we know he committed no crime, that is all.

Yes we do - he didn't viciously beat a child.

That is all.

Advertisement