Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Club Championship 2015

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭Chess_Coach

Well sending 10 - 20 my private students to all tournaments in enough ! I played Ennis and enjoyed that a lot . When you build house all week the last thing you want to do for weekend is to play with bricks.
    I support Irish tournaments and I played few NCC . I preferred all format and I think I won 1 or 2 with Kilkenny .
    I am just very happy that so many teams were interested in this event . Great job by organizers !
    I might play Ennis again if you let me of course - so many bans now at Irish tournaments so one never know !

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Pete Morriss

... it's supposed to be held in Dublin on alternate years.

In Leinster. I believe they are not quite the same ...

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

In Leinster. I believe they are not quite the same ...

right, in Leinster :o

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Cheap shot was the very least you deserve for your even cheaper dig.

You are misinformed which seems to be a signature feature on this thread and a few others. Some sources mislead, misrepresent and lie! If you can't see and understand the various rule violations that are in the open, leaving aside the ones behind the scenes then there is little hope you are minded to actually get the insights about what is going on before you.

Simple example, read the rules, look at the teams and the ICU website and the comments made again. Then tell me you don't get it.

I'm willing to take your word that I wasn't told the truth. I agree with you that rules have been at the very least stretched over the years. Probably worth a review for future events so the ICU get the NCC that they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭RQ_ennis_chess

I might play Ennis again if you let me of course - so many bans now at Irish tournaments so one never know !

There are lots of bans at Irish tournaments now? Really <snip>? What are the lots of bans, I only heard of one person being banned from some tournaments. Maybe you can tell us about these many bans?

And just to be clear. As other posters have pointed out, Petr Neuman is entitled to play in NCC, something which due to other factors probably wont be possible this year. Loyola are also perfectly entitled to play in the competition. ICU Chairman was, and I imagine still is, happy for Ennis to go ahead and hold the competition despite it being Leinsters turn. So nearly all of what was posted by Mustafa_chess above (e.g countless rules being broken) simply isnt true.

• Advertisement

Loyola are in effect Gonzaga 2 under a different name. Adare did the same thing a few years ago and there was no outcry then. Its probably not ideal but its also not against the rules.

Adare had two teams in the NCC in 2011. The new rules came into effect in 2012. The relevant section is:

"3. Any Club in Ireland (all 32 counties) which is registered with the Irish Chess Union will be entitled to enter a team. A club may enter only one team."

The only information I have about the make-up of this year's event is what I am reading here, but it would seem (if what has been written here is correct) that if Loyola is registered as a club with the ICU it is entitled to enter a team; if not, not. That should be fairly obvious to anybody who reads the rules.

Incidentally, on another point that has been mentioned, in the past couple of years when there has been an odd number of teams entering, the organizers have attempted to find an extra team, after the closure of entries, in order to avoid teams having byes after they have travelled across the country to the event. All team captains welcomed that extra effort made by the organizers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

we can say that the ICU made a total balls of things

That's where your sentence stops. Colm Daly posted that the event is cancelled on the ICU site and on his the ICU blog. Either Colm did this by himself or the executive did this. Guess we need those minutes from that executive meeting to say that Colm did indeed do this with the blessing of the executive.....
    who also seemed to have done so little with promoting or selling the event. Seems odd too that there has not been much, if anything, about the event on what is supposed to the website or blog of the Ennis CC.

Did the ICU stipulate that to host the event the Ennis CC had to ensure flyers in every chess club? or a post on every website?

OR did the ICU go, run this please in Ennis, we beg of you since no one else will do it and you've offered.

Ennis asked to run/host the NCC. They were selected to do so. The ICU needs to clarify what they want from an event. If they wanted publisity, maybe the ICU PRO could have done something other than try to cancel it
    so the ICU get the NCC that they want.

But not the NCC the ICU needs right now.... [/batman reference]

Adare had two teams in the NCC in 2011. The new rules came into effect in 2012. The relevant section is:

"3. Any Club in Ireland (all 32 counties) which is registered with the Irish Chess Union will be entitled to enter a team. A club may enter only one team."

The only information I have about the make-up of this year's event is what I am reading here, but it would seem (if what has been written here is correct) that if Loyola is registered as a club with the ICU it is entitled to enter a team; if not, not. That should be fairly obvious to anybody who reads the rules.

Well as I said Pete I wasnt taking entries but those that were obviously felt it was not in breach of the rules for Loyola to play. You have stated above that a club needs to be 'registered' with the ICU. What exactly is the club registration process? I certainly never heard of one.
    Individual players can be registered with the ICU but I dont see how a club can be unless and until there is some sort of club registration in place? If you are going to argue that Loyola are not a real club then you could argue that the current Adare team doesnt qualify as one either since nearly all their players play for other clubs and have just come together to play in the NCC (something they are entitled to do)

You have stated above that a club needs to be 'registered' with the ICU. What exactly is the club registration process? I certainly never heard of one.

That's not my phrase; I simply cut and pasted the NCC rules as they have been since January 2012. The ICU website has (or had) a list of clubs notified to it; I think that is what is referred to, and I think hitherto all clubs that entered a team were on that list. It would be easy enough to check whether Loyola is on the list.

That's not my phrase; I simply cut and pasted the NCC rules as they have been since January 2012. The ICU website has (or had) a list of clubs notified to it; I think that is what is referred to, and I think hitherto all clubs that entered a team were on that list. It would be easy enough to check whether Loyola is on the list.

So if a club is listed on the website they are registered with the ICU? First time I ever heard of it. If that was the intention why say club registered with the ICU, why not just say club listed on the website? As the rules stand I think the organisers were entitled to accept Loyolas entry. I dont think the NCC rules as they stand are ideal, maybe thats one more motion for the next AGM!

• Advertisement

Joke aside I wish all the teams and players best of luck and good time .
    In my eyes Gonzaga is the top team but I will support Ennis as I always back the weaker them that can surprise as all . This is mostly because of amazing Organizational skills ! Come on Ennis !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Why does icu.ie (main website) not show the teams? but the irishchessunion.net (redundant site) does?
    Round 1
    1. Adare vs Loyola
    2. Ballinasloe vs Gonzaga
    3. Ennis vs Limerick

Considering the composition of the teams it looks like Adare and Gonzaga are clear favourites.

Anyway, good luck to all the teams

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,164 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1m1tless

Any of the games being broadcast online?

Breaking News !
    Our Reporter is reporting that Zero tolerance rule was used in round one after Adare player was late for 10 minutes. The player Kalinas lost his game . The Adare Captain was angry and non confirmed information is that Security was called . We are advising all Spectators to enter the playing room carefully for their own safety . This should be confirmed !

One of the matches was delayed apparently because team I think Limerick did not start the match in proper order. After intervention by main arbiter who explained 1 - 8 to players all was sorted . It was reported as well that Junior Infant was called to help by explaining difference between number 1 and 4 , 2 and 6 etc. Special thanks !

Breaking News !
    Our Reporter is reporting that Zero tolerance rule was used in round one after Adare player was late for 10 minutes. The player Kalinas lost his game . The Adare Captain was angry and non confirmed information is that Security was called . We are advising all Spectators to enter the playing room carefully for their own safety . This should be confirmed !

One of the matches was delayed apparently because team I think Limerick did not start the match in proper order. After intervention by main arbiter who explained 1 - 8 to players are was sorted . It was reported as well that Junior Infant was called to help by explaining difference between number 1 and 4 , 2 and 6 etc. Special thanks !

If only we were so well informed of the goings on in the ICU executive

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

Eclipsechaser,
    I have just seen the declared teams.
    It looks like Gonzaga have unearthed a new wonderkid for board 1 who has pushed Sam and Conor down the pecking order.
    He must be some player, and must have had some jump in the recent rating lists.
    It brought a smile to my face when all the other comments about the NCC were so serious and negative.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Mustafa Chess

If only we were so well informed of the goings on in the ICU executive

I sincerely doubt if some people could handle the truth of what has been going on with the ICU executive.

Seems you could hardly be more misinformed if you tried. But then you can hardly be blamed considering the nonsense that gets thrown around.

Mustafa

You write very interesting things and it looks like that you know lots about Irish Chess . It looks like that you know more then members of the Executive . BTW who is winning the NCC

Mustafa

You write very interesting things and it looks like that you know lots about Irish Chess . It looks like that you know more then members of the Executive . BTW who is winning the NCC

Oh I just have very big ears and a keen sense of the smell of bullsugar lies and who are the silly billies among us.

As for who won the NCC ah yeah "I heard" that Adare won it,but with two rounds to go I am skeptical.

I also heard that there might be another NCC in June this year in Dublin with rule changes and the two places for the 2016 ECC event up for grabs. But I would not be sure about that yet.

Mod edit - post removed; don't be personalising things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Eclipsechaser,
    I have just seen the declared teams.
    It looks like Gonzaga have unearthed a new wonderkid for board 1 who has pushed Sam and Conor down the pecking order.
    He must be some player, and must have had some jump in the recent rating lists.
    It brought a smile to my face when all the other comments about the NCC were so serious and negative.

It must be all the Solve a Problem/ Post a Problem puzzles :)

I suspect the captain was taking the mickey out of me there. I had a good come-back tournament (TPR 1990) last Summer but I'll need a lot of those just to make the bottom of the team. As for being a wonderkid, I haven't been mistaken as a pupil for at least 6 months now... :p

I believe Adare beat Gonzaga in that round.

Adare Team Captain will laugh last ! Go Ennis !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

As for being a wonderkid, I haven't been mistaken as a pupil for at least 6 months now... :p
    Finally destroyed the painting in the attic, did you? ;)

How are the teams on paper? I expect Adare have some strong players if they beat you guys. How are Ennis looking?

Reunion and Mustapha: There's a thread for discussing the icu website(s) here. It'd be a pity to derail this thread from petty bickering about the NCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭sinbad68

Mod edit - back-seat moderation deleted. If you have a problem with a post, report it.

Meantime, the bits about the website moved to the website thread.

Oh I just have very big ears and a keen sense of the smell of bullsugar lies and who are the silly billies among us.

Mustafa , Why are you being so angry & venomous ?! ,You've been attacking virtually every poster on boards.ie , your statement of having big ears and keen sense of smell and your behaviour , reminds me of a junkyard dog I used to know .

As for telling bullsugar lies , you seem to be an expert , you've made several FAKE persian proverb quotes regarding camels ,as you are so angry, probably a glass of cold camel milk will calm you down , I would like to join you but can't because of a REAL persian proverb which states " Drinking camel milk is not worth meeting the arab ! "

sinbad68 wrote: »
    Mikahil ,You seem like a decent fellow , here a friendly advice, reunion is a moderator here ,I think rules here only apply to ordinary members , criticizing moderators will get you in trouble --> suspension or a ban and your statement above could be considered as back moderation which is breaking the rules ! .

Mustafa , Why are you being so angry & venomous ?! ,You've been attacking virtually every poster on boards.ie , your statement of having big ears and keen sense of smell and your behaviour , reminds me of a junkyard dog I used to know .

As for telling bullsugar lies , you seem to be an expert , you've made several FAKE persian proverb quotes regarding camels ,as you are so angry, probably a glass of cold camel milk will calm you down , I would like to join you but can't because of a REAL persian proverb which states " Drinking camel milk is not worth meeting the arab ! "

Hey Sinbad
    What iz you on about eh? What makes you think I am angry and where have I been attacking anybody, never mind every poster? You is deluded mate. I wouldn't harm a fly never mind attacking a fellow human being. I am a pacifist.

I already stated I was no expert, certainly not in bullsugar and lies which I think I have revealed to be the case with some posts here.

As the Persian expression says: The camel is the camel and the desert is the desert. He who says these things will be loved and hated in equal measure.

Love is the only truth is this world. It can overcome all. I love you Sinbad!

Peace to all!

Well done to whomever might win the NCC!

Mostafa and Sinebad

I believe that you both will vote YES

It has be reported by our reporter that Adare Team Captain will held the speech at the prize giving ceremony in presence of top MCU delegation . The Adare captain will try to explain to all present how to became the most successful team in history of the NCC. He is apparently very thankful to great Master Mind who actually introduced new format of the competition in aim to increase participation of the teams . This proved to be successful project indeed as number of teams in 5 years increased from 4 to 6. The same man is very happy with progress and he is hoping that in 2050 NCC will be tournament with 8 teams in it ! Our reporter would like to thank main arbiter who is insisting on Zero tolerance rule . The organizer apparently can not cope with amount of emails received asking why there is no live games etc . So before Adare team Captain the news conference will be held . The ICU PRO is not invited . The special prize will be given to Junior Infant who saved first round ! This all is unofficial at the moment and should be confirmed !

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Chessrookie

Hi,
    I was impressed with how Adare are doing this weekend, so looked to see if they were also winning the Munster league.
    I was quite surprised to see Adare mid table in Mumster also also surprised in that it looks at though only two of their first six players play for Adare in the leagues, with one of these also looking to be a regular for a Leinster Armstrong team ( at least he played 4 league matches for Adare)
    I can also see some logic in annexing in their board 6 from another Munster club that are not entering, but I do not see the logic behind the three hired guns at the top of their order.
    Is it a bit of "An elephant in the room", but does anybody know or understand how a regional chess club, has the resources for these mercenaries?
    Does the nominated team from Ireland receive big funding from the European Chess Union, or do Adare have a big benefactor? Is it a vanity project for the local club to bring in these players.
    It seems grossly unfair that genuine club teams such as Gonzaga, Galway or Ennis are denied the honour of being Ireland's designated respresentative in the Europan team event.
    I can understand the apathy from the majority of other Leinster, Munster and Connaught (Galway) in not bothering to enter.
    Can anybody shed some light on this for me?
    Maybe Adare might consider entering a genuine Adare team in the Scary cup, and play for the fun of the game.

WOOW !

That is it . For 5 years I am saying the same - The NCC should be based on achievement not on ambition . The NCC as it is now is the worst project in ICU ever that I have never supported . When this stupid format in my view was suggested I suggested this .

The 4 top Armstrong teams , 2 top teams from 2nd Leinster div and 2 top teams from each province and no rating cap!

How nice and fair wold that be ? Agree ?

WOOW !

That is it . For 5 years I am saying the same - The NCC should be based on achievement not on ambition . The NCC as it is now is the worst project in ICU ever that I have never supported . When this stupid format in my view was suggested I suggested this .

The 4 top Armstrong teams , 2 top teams from 2nd Leinster div and 2 top teams from each province and no rating cap!

How nice and fair wold that be ? Agree ?

So 6 teams from Leinster and only 2 teams from each of Munster and Connaught?

Doesn't sound very nice and fair to me

• Advertisement

OK

How many teams in Leinster and how many in other 2 provinces but make sense to increase number

Advertisement