Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can dpd refuse to deliver to an area?

Options
  • 17-04-2015 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi guys,
    Having issues with dpd.
    Basically one driver in particular will not deliver parcels to darndale, to my knowledge there have not been issues with any other delivery guys, I often order online and have no issues receiving deliveries using dhl ect.
    Basically the website I am using only delivers with them, and I keep getting a phone call right when the parcel is due to arrive ( within the hour timeframe the text message I get that morning provides) off this guy that must cover this route complaining that he is not allowed enter darndale.
    My question is, even though nothing is mentioned on their website about restrictions, have I a valid argument that this particular guy is being unreasonable? I have paid for the delivery and he expects to be met at the slip road in to darndale rather than delivering the package, if he does come in he rings at the gate from the van and won't call to the door. I should add in no way have I given him reason for this.
    Has anyone else had issues with dpd in this way?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

How far will you have to walk/drive to meet the driver?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sarsyc07

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    How far will you have to walk/drive to meet the driver?

Not far really, only two minutes! But basically, I should have said in my post it is actually not me that is in at the time the packages arrive it is family friends that are taking it in on my behalf while I work and so I couldn't expect them to walk out as I get quite a few things delivered online from this particular website and I feel cheeky as it is without asking that of them too, especially with irish weather at the best of times!
    I'm just not sure if there is no genuine reason(to my knowledge) if they can refuse a route. I haven't been grouchy about it yet as I'm not sure if I have a leg to stand on so was wondering if anyone knew whether There was anything I could do to resolve the matter. I was hoping to get some opinions rather than just complaining right away!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭GSBellew

is it possible for you to get the parcels delivered to work?

GSBellew wrote: »
    is it possible for you to get the parcels delivered to work?

No which is a shame, and why I appreciate even more that this family is willing to take them in for me. I work different shifts and my job wouldn't be impressed with a load of parcels arriving in especially if I was not there.
    Honestly, when the website and customer service helpline say that they deliver nationwide, I'm at a bit of a loss as to where I stand when this guy says he is not allowed to enter darndale.
    I am not too sure about what obligations dpd have to me when they accept the order as such and I have paid for it to this address, I thought myself technically they were in a contract to deliver (within reason of course)but was hoping to find out for sure if that was the case here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Have you contacted the company? What did they say?

Presumably this guy isn't doing this for sh!ts and giggles, have you asked him why he will not enter your estate?

My money is on him having been robbed or his van damaged there before so he isn't willing to risk it again.

DPD use contract drivers with their own vans not direct employees, I'd bet they also have clauses making the drivers responsible for any losses they incur on deliveries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I'd cc a copy of the OP to the folks over in Legal Discussion. See what they make of it (in a theoretical sense). The idea that DPD would blacklist Darndale is nonsensical. They'll drop a parcel off in downtown Tikrit if the price is right. Last I heard about Darndale was ehhh.....never. It's on my "to do" list along with Milton Keynes and Birmingham.
    The driver representing them (and he is DPD for all intents and purposes) is in deep trouble over this if it comes to their attention and he is proven to have no good reason for his behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,046 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ive heard of pizza companies and dublin bus not delivering/servicing certain areas of dublin as the drivers & vehicles had been attacked before. With some of the pizza drivers they were robbed of cash and car aswell.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,142 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Maybe if the driver actually went to Darndale he'd change his mind. Some people have such mad ideas about parts of our city.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Can you parcel motel them? Get dpd to deliver to your nearest depot and you could pick them up whenever suits you. This would cost an additional 4 euro a pop (I think) but you wouldn't have to put anyone else out. Or look at parcel connect, they could be brought to a local shop.

I realise this doesn't address your actual problem though. Is it really just one driver who is refusing to deliver to your house? Seems bizarre they don't have a standard company policy. I would keep at them.

Actually why don't you ask dpd to hold all deliveries for you until a driver is on duty who will bring then to your house. Tell them you can't have your elderly granny walking down the slip in the rain (and you are paying for delivery to your house!!). If the other drivers are fine surely they can do something for you.

• Advertisement

I did contact dpd but not as a complaint, I actually rang their customer asking as a "small" business were there any restrictions on any areas in dublin for delivery and she said not at all sure they would have no business then! I probably should have complained there and then but I actually didn't want to get the guy in trouble without knowing if it was true or not and would have gone as high as I could with it if it was because it would not be his or customer services fault . However, with this being the third time with the same driver it is becoming annoying now, especially given the old driver from three weeks ago never had a issue with delivering, it is since this chap took over.
    His reason is dpd are not allowed to enter darndale, that is an exact quote!
    Honestly if he is afraid of his life I'm not saying he should be forced to do something that makes him wary, I wouldn't in my own job. But and I do feel I must have so some argument here, is he in the right job in that case! Im being honest, the road is perfectly fine, it is near the slip road and the main road so not hidden or miles into an estate where he might get lost. I'm also very fond of many of the families that live on it , very nice people, although I don't know everyone. I do feel this is someone being pretty silly to be honest, and it's actually quite offensive too, but I guess that is me being biased as I am there a lot myself.

I do understand the phobia if he got robbed but nowadays that can happen anywhere and again maybe it's the wrong job for him, it's not Afghanistan I'm asking him to deliver to or Syria!and since the other companies have no issue ie dpd nightline ect it's so frustrating!
    Yes some take aways won't deliver, although most take aways are at night and they openly say they don't deliver to darndale, unlike dpd who are happy to take my money and the first issue is right at the point of delivery!
    this guy tends to deliver at lunch time on average which surely would feel "safer" to him than the few take away people at night, I would have thought in comparison if he is suffering from anxiety over it for whatever reason!
    I suppose I will have to complain now properly but I just didn't like the idea of complaining without knowing is there a legal obligation on the company not necessarily him in this circumstance where they say they deliver all over dublin in writing and in person but then one randomer decides he won't deliver to darndale!
    I just would like to back up my complaint, from working in retail I know ears prick if someone actually knows the law per say and this is a total grey area to me!

Actually why don't you ask dpd to hold all deliveries for you until a driver is on duty who will bring then to your house. Tell them you can't have your elderly granny walking down the slip in the rain (and you are paying for delivery to your house!!). If the other drivers are fine surely they can do something for you.

That is a great idea, I will probably suggest that!!! Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Sounds like the driver is a crank. If he does it again tell him why you cant meet his request, and that you'll complain, its confrontation but at least it gives him a chance.Then complain. Odds are your not the only one putting up with his demands, and letting dpd is doing everyone a favor.

Can you parcel motel them? Get dpd to deliver to your nearest depot and you could pick them up whenever suits you. This would cost an additional 4 euro a pop (I think) but you wouldn't have to put anyone else out. Or look at parcel connect, they could be brought to a local shop.

I realise this doesn't address your actual problem though. Is it really just one driver who is refusing to deliver to your house? Seems bizarre they don't have a standard company policy. I would keep at them.

Honestly I wouldn't like to pay extra money as by default I have to pay delivery on the website I buy the items off which have no other option but dpd, I tend to get 3 packages weekly off this site and so that would really add up for me!
    Thank you for the suggestion though, I do appreciate it and it is a good one although would not suit me personally now.
    also I am starting to feel a war of wills coming on to against dpd rather than the driver.
    It is his own business if he has a issue and chooses not to do the route but I do feel that they should be obliged to send someone else in that case! As it happens, the lady who often takes my packages in is bad on her feet and that is another reason aside from the walking to the slip road being a cheeky thing for me to ask Of them when I get so many deliveries!!
    The guy also said it is his local depot that decided this not the whole company! It is a tricky one because I'm not sure if they are allowed to that as such, as I said before other delivery guys don't seem to think it's a warzone ha ha! I also would imagine, his list of no go areas must be the equivalent of the golden pages in dublin!!!

imitation wrote: »
    Sounds like the driver is a crank. If he does it again tell him why you cant meet his request, and that you'll complain, its confrontation but at least it gives him a chance.Then complain. Odds are your not the only one putting up with his demands, and letting dpd is doing everyone a favor.

Yes I actually did explain to him, he did drop the parcel in after I said it all and implied it was a huge favour but not to tell anyone he did it as he would get " in ****" which I can't figure out was that so I wouldn't complain, and in fairness I didn't so maybe that was the idea!!!
    but since that there have been phone calls every time ! The only thing I have yet to do now is ring dpd formally!! ( I only rang in disguise before ha ha!)

sarsyc07 wrote: »
    Yes I actually did explain to him, he did drop the parcel in after I said it all and implied it was a huge favour but not to tell anyone he did it as he would get " in ****" which I can't figure out was that so I wouldn't complain, and in fairness I didn't so maybe that was the idea!!!
    but since that there have been phone calls every time ! The only thing I have yet to do now is ring dpd formally!! ( I only rang in disguise before ha ha!)

I should add he meant he would be in trouble for delivering the parcel not sure I explained that clearly!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭NSAman

Oh for Gods sake. You are paying for a service that is advertised by the seller. The seller PAYS for this service. If there are exceptions to that service it needs to be stated in any order.

Phone DPD phone the seller make it clear to both what is happening.

When will Irish people start complaining about bad service properly.

NSAman wrote: »
    Oh for Gods sake. You are paying for a service that is advertised by the seller. The seller PAYS for this service. If there are exceptions to that service it needs to be stated in any order.

Phone DPD phone the seller make it clear to both what is happening.

When will Irish people start complaining about bad service properly.

I am aware that I need to complain about it, I was trying to give him the benefit of the doubt at first hence why I rang customer service.
    I also intend to complain about the fact it is not in writing about the restrictions, but my purpose was also to find out for certain if there is a grey area or legal obligation due to a breach of contract if it was applicable to this situation or not , if the driver genuinely felt it was unsafe.
    Some irish people can complain too much or complain in a stupid manner therefore companies dismiss them.
    I simply wanted to find out legally had I a valid complaint so I could word my argument in a way that they would listen to it.
    there is really no need to be patronising about it.
    If you have any idea of the legal obligation if any upon them from accepting the consignment that would be constructive as I already attempted to look online but found very little information.

Forget the legalities, phone the seller, make it clear what is happening. If the seller is not happy with DPD a they have a legal contract with them for delivery and it is up to them to facilitate their customers.

DPD have accepted the contract and are under an obligation to deliver. Not being patronising at all. If you have an issue with this guy, phone the seller first and then DPD to complain, especially if this is an ongoing issue.

I just don't understand where you are coming from.... there are no grey areas of delivery in Ireland. If there are and DPD admit this, then there is a major issue and that needs to be brought to the attention of EVERYONE.

Sounds like he is writing his own policy to be honest. I don't imagine that dpd suddenly decided, right when someone else took over the Darndale route, that they don't deliver there anymore. If that was their new policy you should be informed formally by the company. Not by some guy sending text messages. Do complain, definitely. He is paid to deliver packages to your house, not to a point most convenient to him. Maybe they have changed their policy, and I don't know if that is legal or not, but this guy sounds like he is chancing his arm. By the found of it you are giving them a lot of money so definitely complain. The consumer association people might be able to tell you what your rights are in this case.

• Advertisement

NSAman wrote: »
    Forget the legalities, phone the seller, make it clear what is happening. If the seller is not happy with DPD a they have a legal contract with them for delivery and it is up to them to facilitate their customers.

DPD have accepted the contract and are under an obligation to deliver. Not being patronising at all. If you have an issue with this guy, phone the seller first and then DPD to complain, especially if this is an ongoing issue.

I just don't understand where you are coming from.... there are no grey areas of delivery in Ireland. If there are and DPD admit this, then there is a major issue and that needs to be brought to the attention of EVERYONE.

You may not have intended to have sounded it but to me it did read as that but I do appreciate the constructive input.

When I say grey areas I more meant regarding what constitutes a breach of contract in this situation as although dpd do not have a list of areas, it does have in their fine print online in some situations failed delivery may be from an area being unsafe ect. Those are not the exact words but it would give them wiggle room to refuse orders too I would have thought but I may be wrong. Of course I do not feel the driver is in danger, he thinks he is so that clause might mean they can actually refuse delivery.
    In saying that I do agree they have a contract with the seller, and I did get in touch with the seller who said delivery is nationwide.
    I just didn't want to ring or write saying I was in the right legally if I am not because the complaint will be laughed out then.

I just didn't want to ring or write saying I was in the right legally if I am not because the complaint will be laughed out then.

Sarsyc!! Jesus you are PAYING for a service. DPD have told the seller that the delivery is nationwide. You have purchased under this assumption as it is not listed anywhere on the sellers website?

Why would anyone laugh at you? DPD are contracted to the seller. You have a contract with the seller who has promised to deliver to your doorstep. Complain like hell. DPD are an agent of the Seller.

As a side note, I think DPD couriers use subcontractors to deliver. If this guy is doing this constantly, DPD need to know this and sort it out immediately.

I would personally phone first and follow up with a registered letter to both companies. As you are purchasing from the Seller constantly, they should be the ones to take this up with DPD directly as an agreement is in place.

No one is going to laugh at you for standing up for something that you have paid for and a service that is charged for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Jesus talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. You're going around in circles here. You are paying for a service and not recieving it. Each post you're just reiterating the same thing over and over. You're not happy, it's inconvient and you're wondering if you're justified in complaining. 2 pages of people suggesting to bring it to the companies attention and you're dismissing it saying maybe you won't be taken seriously. Good lord.

There is only one way this is going to be sorted and it's not by strangers on the Internet. They can't fix it if they don't know about it.

Jesus talk about making a mountain out of a molehill. You're going around in circles here. You are paying for a service and not recieving it. Each post you're just reiterating the same thing over and over. You're not happy, it's inconvient and you're wondering if you're justified in complaining. 2 pages of people suggesting to bring it to the companies attention and you're dismissing it saying maybe you won't be taken seriously. Good lord.

There is only one way this is going to be sorted and it's not by strangers on the Internet. They can't fix it if they don't know about it.

I am going to complain and I simply repeated the question of is the use the argument of breach of contract valid even with the aforementioned clause.
    I'm aware a few people recommended complaining and as I have said numerous times I will.
    I was being polite responding to each comment individually as I appreciated the time taken to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Glenalla

I do know of other well known couriers who will not deliver into certain areas as they have had vans damaged and broken into whilst they were delivering parcels. As most of these guys are owner/drivers I dont think it is unreasonable for these drivers to place their property at risk in such areas.

Glenalla wrote: »
    I do know of other well known couriers who will not deliver into certain areas as they have had vans damaged and broken into whilst they were delivering parcels. As most of these guys are owner/drivers I dont think it is unreasonable for these drivers to place their property at risk in such areas.

Ah i agree nobody should be put at risk or made go places they are genuinely afraid of, it's not a personal thing against the driver per say.
    But from my present knowledge I do stand by that I feel these deliveries are of no higher risk to him than else where on the northside.
    I do know other drivers are willing to deliver there so I will be suggesting to them if this guy is not happy is it possible to hold the packages until someone who is comfortable can do it.
    Thanks for replying!

Sounds like he is writing his own policy to be honest. I don't imagine that dpd suddenly decided, right when someone else took over the Darndale route, that they don't deliver there anymore. If that was their new policy you should be informed formally by the company. Not by some guy sending text messages. Do complain, definitely. He is paid to deliver packages to your house, not to a point most convenient to him. Maybe they have changed their policy, and I don't know if that is legal or not, but this guy sounds like he is chancing his arm. By the found of it you are giving them a lot of money so definitely complain. The consumer association people might be able to tell you what your rights are in this case.

Thanks so much as I hadn't thought of the consumer rights people, am going to ring them today to find out more!
    That is a great suggestion and def will help other people too that will stumble upon this thread in a similar situation!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Thanks so much as I hadn't thought of the consumer rights people, am going to ring them today to find out more!
    That is a great suggestion and def will help other people too that will stumble upon this thread in a similar situation!

I wouldn't bother ringing the consumer people. The company will more than likely act on your complaint without any need for backup from outside agencies.

Just call head office and tell them what happened, if you're unhappy with their response then look into consumer legislation and contract terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,046 ✭✭✭Vic_08

TBH you are only going to be wasting their and your time contacting them now. Their first question will be what have the company (dpd) done when contacted about it.

You need to call dpd first to see why you are not getting the deliveries you have paid for.

Any company is entitled to not serve any particular customer or area they please but the correct way to go about that is to not take on the job in the first place or inform the customer before accepting the job that altered deliveries would be taking place. Taking on the work and then refusing to fulfill it is a breach of their contract.

The only way you are going to get this resolved is by complaining directly to dpd and only then if they do not sort it to your satisfaction should you be taking it to outside agencies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Sounds like he said that to give the impression it's company policy and not his own.

This whole thing is very strange. :confused:

Advertisement