Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeep boiling up

Options
  • 02-04-2015 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

hello

I have my 98 Mitsubishi Pajero 2.8 TurboDiesel Jeep just 3 weeks now but she has today started to boill up, you get about a mile down the road and you hear its bubbling, right amount of coolant too in the coolant tank.
    Starts first turn of the key ok still but temp hand moves into the red so quickly now, therostat ok but this happens very quickly.
    Anyone able to advise on these please

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Water (coolant ) pump has stopped maybe , 1 mile is very fast for any engine to over heat though more so a diesel unless crawling in heavy traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭yeller

Head gasket maybe blew

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

yeller wrote: »
    Head gasket maybe blew

Don't be thinking the worst just yet, did the boiling just happen overnight?

friend had it yesterday but I was pulling a trailer this morning and temp hand rose and you could hear it bubbling loudly, very slightly down in power,
    checked water in reservoir and all ok, left sitting for hour or so then drove it but only got a mile or less when hand goes up again and boiling up. She sitting up now as don't want to do any more harm

You said the thermostat is ok how did you check it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

friend had it yesterday but I was pulling a trailer this morning and temp hand rose and you could hear it bubbling loudly, very slightly down in power,
    checked water in reservoir and all ok, left sitting for hour or so then drove it but only got a mile or less when hand goes up again and boiling up. She sitting up now as don't want to do any more harm
    Is the water actually boiling hot or just bubbling?
    If it's just bubbling then could be head gasket.

thermostat..heat inside the jeep..

the temp hand rises to the red and you hear it bubbling very loudly, could a hose blow out etc

The thermostat could be stuck closed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Check the radiator, could be blocked. If badly so the sides could even be bulging. Excessive pressure on hoses coming from the rad are a good indication.

I Rang a mechanic and he said likely head gasket, he said head could be cracked too and not know til its off,

• Advertisement

I Rang a mechanic and he said likely head gasket, he said head could be cracked too and not know til its off,

I would get another mechanics opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Have a chat with this freind. I gave up loaning things out, it was costing me too many of them :mad:

When cold, run the engine. If the coolant is bubbling in a reservoir or radiator, you have engine compression entering the coolant. Most likely a head gasket.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

quick and easy check to do when it gets hot feel the top rad hose and feel the lower rad hose, if the coolant is not circulating( blocked rad or failed pump, failed thermostat) then 1 of them will be hotter than the other

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

If it is the head catch the top hose with the engine running,you should be able to squeeze it. If it is rock hard the head is banjaxed. Also check the level of the water in the rad, with the head gone the exhaust gasses leak into the cooling system and push the coolant into the expansion bottle

Like the renegade mechanic I gave up loaning my old jeep to people to top trailers with after a complete arab took it and dogged it up a huge hill with a car on a transporter. It was a 2.8 shogun and it was a new head out of my pocket

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭2time

JBokeh wrote: »
    If it is the head catch the top hose with the engine running,you should be able to squeeze it. If it is rock hard the head is banjaxed. Also check the level of the water in the rad, with the head gone the exhaust gasses leak into the cooling system and push the coolant into the expansion bottle

Like the renegade mechanic I gave up loaning my old jeep to people to top trailers with after a complete arab took it and dogged it up a huge hill with a car on a transporter. It was a 2.8 shogun and it was a new head out of my pocket

I had one of these here lying up due to head problem bit you mention maybe banjaxed head, do you mean warped or cracked as believe you can get them skimmed if not cracked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Mech1

if no loss of coolant chances are head gasget / head is fine. likley stuck closed thermostat, blockage, waterpump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

The op says there is no loss of coolant and the thermostat is fine ,so I would say the pump is the most obvious cause .
    Head gasket breaks will lose coolant and cause a pressure build up in the header tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

O.A.P wrote: »
    The op says there is no loss of coolant and the thermostat is fine ,so I would say the pump is the most obvious cause .
    Head gasket breaks will lose coolant and cause a pressure build up in the header tank.

They have fairly crap radiators too. An internal collapse/blockage isn't unheard of. If it was mine, I'd do the water pump, a new rad and a new thermostat. If that didn't work, then I'd look at the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭2time

They have fairly crap radiators too. An internal collapse/blockage isn't unheard of. If it was mine, I'd do the water pump, a new rad and a new thermostat. If that didn't work, then I'd look at the head.

could the rad be flushed out

IF YOU HAVE THE JEEP IDLING OVER ON THE STREET HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKE FOR THE FAN TO KICK IN

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 491 ✭✭Dozer Dave

IF YOU HAVE THE JEEP IDLING OVER ON THE STREET HOW LONG SHOULD IT TAKE FOR THE FAN TO KICK IN

They have a viscous fan, which may be part of the problem. They do become faulty.

Dozer Dave wrote: »
    They have a viscous fan, which may be part of the problem. They do become faulty.

20 minutes sitting and no fan come on, any other way to check it for sure and what the story, could it be wiring or is it just replacement

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Alucan

I would get another mechanics opinion.

Why? It's a problem they frequently suffer with and all the symptoms are consistent with if someone rang me I would tell them same thing. It's probably the head gasket but could also be the head cracked there are a few other things to check first before I would pull the head off. But a mechanic with any degree of skill would be able to diagnose compression entering the cooling system very quickly .What he won't be able to do is know where it is coming from without striping the head off the engine on most engines it would be safe to say it's a gasket problem but the heads on these engines crack quite often. So why would you get another mechanics opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭Desolation Of Smug

I was in at my mates yesterday welding an exhaust and he was making 1 good engine out of 2 bad ones - 2.8 paj..the HG went on the original and ye'd want to see the way it left the block and head - between bore 2 and 4 the head was literally melted through like a plasma cutter had been taken to it. The owner had drivven on for a bit after it started getting "a bit hot" on the gauge.

The only good bit left was the crankshaft. Best not ignored too long, whatever you might think the cause is..

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭coyle21

I got an 1998 2.8td gls one of these and it now regularly idles rough and is bit smokey when you start it up and i cant get past 2000 revs when idle.
    what may that be

coyle21 wrote: »
    I got an 1998 2.8td gls one of these and it now regularly idles rough and is bit smokey when you start it up and i cant get past 2000 revs when idle.
    what may that be

Does it cut after starting after a few seconds?

sometimes it does and hard to start

Will it start and drive fine then all day long when its warmed up?

most of the time yes but drove it 10 mile a few times and went to start it again and lost all rev for several minutes etc

• Advertisement

When its running good does it rev out or does it only go to 2krpm? Also what colour smoke out the exhaust?

Advertisement