Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone listen to Classical Music?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Claiomh

endacl wrote: »
    I teach that. It never comes into its own.

There's some serious 'Emperor's New Clothes' syndrome going on in modern classical music.

The move from the Conservatoire to the University in the early part of the last century was not a good one for composition. Music departments are full of young composers, writing music to pass exams and impress other composition students with the cleverness of it all...

:(

Is it bad that I really like it? Theres so much going on there that interests me, with the constant repeating motif in the piano and the trad/dance like interjections from the strings. To me it has a lot of energy and certainly a well written piece of music. In the interests of full disclosure, Im a working musician and was involved in the production of his opera "The importance of being Earnest" a few years ago. He was an absolutely lovely guy and very open about his music. The opera was difficult to get into at first, but as you heard it more and more it really grew on you. Anyway, as an avid classical music fan here one of my favourites..Incredible music and playing!

www(dot)youtube.com/watch?v=xK7z2NhUrsQ

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Pyridine

OK so not classical, and maybe not even modern classical but still good imo:

For modern classical: Ludivico Einaudi, Yiruma and Philip Glass.

Also check out something like the Section: Strung Out on OK Computer to see adaptations of modern music to "classical"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭robman60

I can't listen to any other music when I'm studying so I quite like it. Haven't listened to that much but my favourite is Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

One of my favourite TV comedies in recent years uses extracts from the overture to the opera "Ruslan and Lyudmila" by Mikhail Glinka as its theme music:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I do listen to some classical music but it's mostly modern classical music from video game and film scores.

Even classical interpretations of songs can get the classical music treatment as well with examples like this.......

and this

http://thepianoguys.com/portfolio/batman-evolution/

I bought these guys recent album and I thought that had excellent musical interpretations to listen to. You should have a listen to them at some stage they are a fantastic group of musicians to listen to when you have the free time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭HugsiePie

I started listening to this to study back at Christmas, and for every teensy little exam/test/mcq since I still listen to it, I cant study without it now :/ The silence kills me and I cant keep concentration without it playing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Listening to Ludovico Einaudi a lot lately. Some of his work brings tears to the eyes.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Which Hans Zimmer did a good job with for The Lone Ranger

Hans Zimmer was the primary composer for The Lone Ranger but one of his collaborators, Geoff Zanelli, actually adapted William Tell for that cue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Lyric FM is quite good these days for a change.

Blue of the night on lyric FM can throw up some gems but not quite 'classical'.

John Kelly if you like alien zen like meditation on long drives.

Nova on sunday night ironing work shirts whilst getting roaring drunk. Be carefull though its avant garde so it could be twenty minutes of a low hum with minimal bleeps.

Marty in the morning for light chewing gum if yer sick of all the news stations and today fm isnt yer thing.

movies and musicals sunday midday if yer sick of sport and current affairs.

Gay Byrne on sunday day if like listening to him talk about rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Yes, many good ones have been mentioned. I love it. Like to add Smetana to it, particularly his piece the Moldau (Moldau is a river in today's Czech Republic). When he wrote it he was already deaf but you can just imagine the river starting of as a small spring and growing majestically, the falls, and then the quieter areas again. Smetana clearly loved his country and the piece is actually from his work Ma Vlast (My Country):

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

nothing like a bit of Beethoven on a Friday night with the lads

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Give me some Mozart or Beethoven over No Direction or Tayler fluckin Swift any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Very partial to Faure and Rachmaninov. Bit of Satie, too. Delibes' Lakme is about the only opera I care for, and I love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

fiachr_a wrote: »
    . That guy off Grafton St playing the spoons has more talent than most of these middle-class music students in Irish universities doing everything 'right'.

I think not.

Yes. Subjective in terms of how much enjoyment it gives you. But objectivity does not excuse the emperor's new clothes weakness in modern classical music. Lots of people enjoy Westlife's music from their perspective. That still doesnt mean its any good though.

What weakness in modern classical music ? The best of the modern stuff easily bears comparison with the greats of the past.

90% of it is probably rubbish and won't stand the test of time , but that is just like all classical music through the ages . There are 1000's of operas but only a couple of hundred in the repertoire , same with the other genres - symphonic, chamber, solo.

It is just fashionable to knock the modern stuff, but what is the point of just doing variations on Clair de Lune or The Swan , particularly as we have the soundtrack industry for that . Over 300 films using the Debussy piece at the last count.

Never knock originality , you might miss the Beethoven of our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

I love listening to it occasionally, it's very relaxing but don't know enough about it to be able to pick out a CD I'd like for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh8q6CfhjtI

This has me mesmerised. Glenn gould is the master.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

marienbad wrote: »
    What weakness in modern classical music ? The best of the modern stuff easily bears comparison with the greats of the past.

90% of it is probably rubbish and won't stand the test of time , but that is just like all classical music through the ages . There are 1000's of operas but only a couple of hundred in the repertoire , same with the other genres - symphonic, chamber, solo.

It is just fashionable to knock the modern stuff, but what is the point of just doing variations on Clair de Lune or The Swan , particularly as we have the soundtrack industry for that . Over 300 films using the Debussy piece at the last count.

Never knock originality , you might miss the Beethoven of our time.

There is more than enough top quality music to last most normal people a lifetime and more. No need to go looking for the Beethoven of our time and risk wading through 99% dross. Life is too short. We have enough already.

Sure, compose away and keep the kids happy with drivel and the soundtrack of their era. But its ephemeral and worthless in the bigger scheme.

Good music is so fricking darned cheap these days too - bought the Brilliant Classics box set of 66 Vivaldi cds last week. Super music. Super playing. For pennies. Everyone should have it.

There is more than enough top quality music to last most normal people a lifetime and more. No need to go looking for the Beethoven of our time and risk wading through 99% dross. Life is too short. We have enough already.

Sure, compose away and keep the kids happy with drivel and the soundtrack of their era. But its ephemeral and worthless in the bigger scheme.

Good music is so fricking darned cheap these days too - bought the Brilliant Classics box set of 66 Vivaldi cds last week. Super music. Super playing. For pennies. Everyone should have it.

With that attitude there is more than enough of everything , books, music ,film , in fact all creative works . Imagine if Beethoven or Vivaldi had thought like that ? Why bother as we can't improve on Monteverdi or Bach ?

And people thought Beethoven was drivel also, and Joyce, Stravinsky, Matisse,Godard . What a poor would it would be .

'We have enough already' - what a frightening attitude :eek:

And what makes you think it is drivel ? Lots of people think that adjective is more appropriate to Vivaldi .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Im Part-ial to a bit of Arvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I dont have any on my ipod, but I do like classical music and it must be down to hearing famous pieces in movie soundtracks. Some modern day music artists use famous samples of classical music. Movies, TV and even computer games are known for using Classical/Opera music in their work.

Maybe classical music is your thing.

What Classical/Opera music do you like?

I'll get the ball rolling with two well known.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,638 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The Arnie Conan the Barbarian movie has a great orchestral soundtrack

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Charlie19 wrote: »
    What Classical/Opera music do you like?

I'm not sure if it's classed as classical music but the soundtrack to Braveheart is pretty awesome - especially this bit which gives me goosebumps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The Ride of the Valkyries: a soundtrack to any invasion as per Apocalypse Now

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The one Ric Flair composed for his entrance theme...and the one Old spice commissioned for their ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Surprised no-one mentioned Nessum Dorma!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Mod

Two similar threads merged

Advertisement