Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rio 2016 Marathon Qualification, whos trying?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭NetwerkErrer

tang1 wrote: »
    The USA have set times of sub 2.18(male) and sub 2.43(female) to even run in there trials. If you run sub 2.15(male) and sub 2.37(female) your on the plane.

2.15 and 2.37 won't get you on the plane. The US Q procedure is to 2.18 and 2.37 to get to the trials. If an athlete runs 2.06, they do not qualify straight to the Olympics, they still have to run the trials to qualify.

Everyone who runs under 2.18 and 2.37 runs the trials and the top 3 qualify if they are all under the A standard in the trials. Only the athletes who finish under the USATF A standard in the trials and make the top three qualify. If only 2 make it under the standard, only 2 quailify.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

2.15 and 2.37 won't get you on the plane. The US Q procedure is to 2.18 and 2.37 to get to the trials. If an athlete runs 2.06, they do not qualify straight to the Olympics, they still have to run the trials to qualify.

Everyone who runs under 2.18 and 2.37 runs the trials and the top 3 qualify if they are all under the A standard in the trials. Only the athletes who finish under the USATF A standard in the trials and make the top three qualify. If only 2 make it under the standard, only 2 quailify.

Your dead right, i phrased my post badly E.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Itziger wrote: »
    Is Lizzie Lee going to try for the QT? I would have thought she'd go for it. Bit more experience now.
    menoscemo wrote: »
    Pretty sure jebus mentioned something about that in his log (at least that's who I think he was referring to).

Yep, she's now targeting Berlin for a QT, in great form recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭RedRunner

Sacksian wrote: »
    Is Mick Clohisey still running Rotterdam? JTG mentioned that a few times.

Anyone else down for Rotterdam?

Pretty sure that's the case alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Pretty sure the IAAF have done away with A and B standards for all events. Just one standard from now on. Any B standard talk will just be created by the OCI or AAI. If they follow the IAAF, then it's one standard. Simple. No need to be complicating stuff further.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

Sergio is def trying to qualify and has set out 2 windows, Autumn 2015 and Spring 2016, Berlin and I cant remember is it Dusseldorf or Dortmund marathon. he is hoping for a time close to 2-15 to guarantee him a spot on the plane.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Seems like there is a good crowd going for it. Makes it all the more interesting.

Will it be the three quickest or the some other criteria and will that criteria Be known beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

And then there is Chris Harrington. Does he have any chance do you think? At least he seems to be putting in the effort.

Murph_D wrote: »
    And then there is Chris Harrington. Does he have any chance do you think? At least he seems to be putting in the effort.

Depends on what his times are like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Maybe controversial given this forum topic and how small the Irish running community is [and folks here may know the people concerned], but do we want to send a team "for the sake of it"?

We had a full team of ladies in London, with folks even left behind....and one of them came in dead last, and wikipedia tells me that the other two came in 66th and 68th? What did any of them or us gain from it? [I know that is an awful thing to say, but it's worth asking]

• Advertisement

Maybe controversial given this forum topic and how small the Irish running community is [and folks here may know the people concerned], but do we want to send a team "for the sake of it"?

We had a full team of ladies in London, with folks even left behind....and one of them came in dead last, and wikipedia tells me that the other two came in 66th and 68th? What did any of them or us gain from it? [I know that is an awful thing to say, but it's worth asking]

I do agree with you, if they aren't going to be competitive then they shouldn't be going. By coming 66th, 68th, its not promoting the sport in Ireland or doing it any good, as no one is paying attention. Better off investing in the facilities instead.

JTG latest podcast addresses the whole funding thing and how the walkers have developed a professional setup and how the other events are in total disarray.

I think one of the ladies you are talking about was suffering badly with PF going into London, so may explain her result. Think the same woman is now concentrating on rowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

tang1 wrote: »
    I think one of the ladies you are talking about was suffering badly with PF going into London, so may explain her result. Think the same woman is now concentrating on rowing.

There were 3 in total. The girl you are thinking of Jennings came last in well over 3 hours. She went into the race with an injury which probably wasn't the best idea.

I disagree that we shouldn't be sending anyone that is not going to be competitive. They have all achieved the standards as defined and have earned their right to toe the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The comparison that comes to mind is with a cross country race, or some other event, where a club doesn't think they'll do well but will enter a team to support the event and show the club colours. I think you could describe that as putting in a team 'for the sake of it'.

But this is the Olympics. Qualifying for the Olympics is a career goal for many athletes, something they will have dedicated their training to for years. If they qualify they deserve to go.

What is the point in building facilities, if not to train people to go to the Olympics? If every female runner is told, "until you're as good as Sonia O'Sullivan, we won't bother sending you to the Olympics", we'll never again have a female runner as good as Sonia O'Sullivan.

RayCun wrote: »
    we'll never again have a female runner as good as Sonia O'Sullivan.

Argentina said the same thing about Maradona, now they have Messi. Bit of hope Ray!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

Nothing against her as anyone would have done the same but UKA allows entry pending they pass a medical. So this resulted in Paula not being able to go. It was clear that the PF was ongoing issue (she may have even passed a medical) but when Maria McCambridge got left at home even after achieving the standard I hope that AI include pending medical for all athletes as sending an athlete that is injured is something that should be learned for as she was not the only athlete carrying an injury.

The comparison that comes to mind is with a cross country race, or some other event, where a club doesn't think they'll do well but will enter a team to support the event and show the club colours. I think you could describe that as putting in a team 'for the sake of it'.

But this is the Olympics. Qualifying for the Olympics is a career goal for many athletes, something they will have dedicated their training to for years. If they qualify they deserve to go.

What is the point in building facilities, if not to train people to go to the Olympics? If every female runner is told, "until you're as good as Sonia O'Sullivan, we won't bother sending you to the Olympics", we'll never again have a female runner as good as Sonia O'Sullivan.

+1. They all made the A standard. The only controversial topic about the team being sent was that Maria Mc was left at home. Look at all the athletes who didn't make it out of the heats too. If only medal contenders are sent, that would be a pitiful opening ceremony parade of 6 Irish. They trained all their lives to get to where they are and earned that place in the Olympics. You shouldn't punish the athletes who make it for a lack of depth in athletics, they deserve recognition for all the effort they put in.

I think if you improve from the ground up, you will have a better runner than Sonia. Her daughter is actually doing very well apparently.

But they can go to the Olympics if they are competitive, for example in the marathon, competitive could be top 30, i am not saying they have to win medals.

No one is saying they have to be as good as Sonia, she was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Mens standard fro Rio is 2.18.30

The Claw & Hehir should both get this in Rotterdam.
    Kenneally & Pollock should also achieve this.

Fagan running Zurich also.

Be interesting to see how selectors vote on this one :D

Regarding ever having another Sonia(will only ever be one Sonia) I think Ciara Mcageean can achieve some major championship medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

What is the goal you hope to achieve by putting another hurdle in the path of athletes? By saying, it is not good enough to meet the standard set by the Olympics, we won't send you unless you are in the top 30 in the world.

Do you think Irish athletes will decide to work harder? Or is it to save money?

• Advertisement

I think if you improve from the ground up, you will have a better runner than Sonia. Her daughter is actually doing very well apparently.

But they can go to the Olympics if they are competitive, for example in the marathon, competitive could be top 30, i am not saying they have to win medals.

No one is saying they have to be as good as Sonia, she was fantastic.

We're all for improving from the ground up, but you can't ignore the here and now as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭rom

http://comiteolimpicoportugal.pt/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Atletismo.pdf

Individual Events
    NOCs may enter up to three (3) qualified athletes for each event on the athletics program. In addition they can enter a maximum of one (1) reserve or P alternate athlete for the same event, provided he/she has achieved the entry standard.

- This would make a lot of sense if there are full allocation

Qualification period: 1 January 2015 to 11 July 2016

Entry Standards: To be approved by IAAF Council in April 2015

http://www.iaaf.org/competition/standards - not listed here.

Where did you get 2:18:30 from ?

What is the goal you hope to achieve by putting another hurdle in the path of athletes? By saying, it is not good enough to meet the standard set by the Olympics, we won't send you unless you are in the top 30 in the world.

Do you think Irish athletes will decide to work harder? Or is it to save money?

What's the goal in sending someone to finish 68th?

Ah the classic "don't send em if they ain't got a chance of medalling". These type of comments NEVER come from athletics people.

Don't feed the wind-up merchants.

She was injured, unless as was stated above we introduce a once over prior to the games to make sure everybody is healthy very little can be done. Would you give up your dream of running in the Olympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Sure send no one then. Realistically a medal is unlikely so why bother?

Maybe it may have to do with rewarding athletes for dedicating their lives to training, the development of the sport and giving hope to the next generation of athletes.

118 people started the race.

What is your goal recently T?

Let's set up a sub 18 criteria at Parkruns and club organised 5k's. What's the point in wasting volunteer time, resources on those running slow times? You might have to actually become an "average runner" then.

I don't think you would like that would you?

I do agree with you, if they aren't going to be competitive then they shouldn't be going. By coming 66th, 68th, its not promoting the sport in Ireland or doing it any good, as no one is paying attention. Better off investing in the facilities instead.

JTG latest podcast addresses the whole funding thing and how the walkers have developed a professional setup and how the other events are in total disarray.

To say it's not promoting the sport is not true. One of my main inspirations when I started running as a junior was a guy who lived a few doors away who ran in the Olympics in 1972, nearly 2 decades before I was born and he never made it out of the heats. As a kid, seeing someone from your area reaching the Olympics is crazy and it inspires.

Do you really think that the athletics team in London didn't inspire one kid who knew them? They inspired 1000's. Even if the results didn't make the main stream media, those athletes inspire within communities and I can guarantee that kids took up sport because of them. Hell, I'm just a shoddy midpack weekend warrior but my mates have taken more of an interest in athletics and running I started running again. Now, I won't inspire anyone to be an Olympic hopefuls:D but someone like Linda Byrne, Catriona Jennings, Maria Mc and Ava Hutchinson will. Just because it's not there to see in bold print on the front page doesn't mean it doesn't have an impact on the sport.

If they are not sent, what message does it send to kids and even the smallest of piece of inspiration is taken away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Jesus what is with the negative attitude?
    You never send someone or the athlete never has a goal of finishing 68th.
    Sometimes we have stinkers(Sonia in Atlanta for example)

You can find many Irish athletes who finished way down on their debut of first few championship races.

Paul Robinson,Mark English didn't make finals of European U23 champs,so do we decided to tell them you cant go unless you make the final?
    Karen shinkins is an Irish record holder at 400m (indoors) and finished 30th in the World Juniors & 30th in the Olympics but still went on to winning medals after.

Look at some of the Australian guys in the marathon in the past few years.They are no world beaters but come championships(with experience) they perform.

Advertisement