Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oldest in Ireland?

Options
  • 30-03-2015 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, I'm doing a Care of the Elderly course at the moment and was asked last week by my lecturer to find out who is the oldest man and woman living in Ireland at the moment. I can't seem to find this info online, it just keeps giving me the previous holders of this title who died fairly recently. Can anyone tell me where I could get the answer to this??? , thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No idea, BobbyJ and not sure how you could find out. Unless someone wants to make an issue of their age it is not going to be announced anywhere, its only after they die that people become aware of what age a person was. Maybe I am wrong about that.

It does seem to me that of all the information you could be asked to research in relation to care of the elderly, this seems a pretty pointless activity. That's just me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I would say that the oldest man and woman in Ireland may very well be in a nursing home, but if by any chance they still live in their own home, well then I don't think it is information that should be easily available to any random stranger, do you? Has your lecturer explained the reason for wanting to know this, and is it just for you to find out, or the whole class? I know a couple of people in their nineties but I wouldn't advertise who they are. It's surely confidential information. And pointless for the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

Due to Data Protection legislation you will not be able to get the names of the oldest people in Ireland. However, the President of Ireland makes an award to Irish citizens both in Ireland and living abroad when they reach their 100th birthday. Commemorative coins are issued to citizens 101 and over with the coin changing each year.

Aras an Uachtarain will have details of Ireland's oldest citizens and this information was released to The Irish Times on 6.1.15.

Hope this will guide you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭barbs84

There was an article and photo in a newspaper recently about the oldest woman in Ireland she just celebrated her 113 th birthday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

CSO might be a good starting point.
    http://www.cso.ie/en/index.html

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement