Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MOD Warning post #20 Late Late Show, March 27th

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Til next week, Good Friday LLS, have a good one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Fair few people acting the maggot in the audience there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

ProudDUB wrote: »
    jiFfM_zps0ee4fc4c.jpg

I was thinking of thousands but this is the nearest I could get.
    10908.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,650 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I'm calling it now I'm NOT modding that primetime program tomorrow!

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

mr_tayto.png
    Van the Man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

amdublin wrote: »

We'll go pub am.......;)

Much better idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,552 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    thank goodness that's over

For us it is. I've a feeling Kim will likely be fending off that blushing bag of bones all night.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,867 ✭✭✭eternal

I'd marry Mr Tayto to avoid wardrobe malfunctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

F**ks sake, another week spending my last bit of credit for a chance to win 20k and loosing :(

I'll be upstairs wiping my arse with my tv licence if anyone is looking for me!!

H

• Registered Users Posts: 72,226 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Till tomorrow night folks!

Enjoy the SNS, GSW! :)

Nos da!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Sometimes it doesn't work when I thank posts on boards. It works for a while, then it just doesn't.

This happen to anyone else?

I think I know what you mean.

You do the thank, but you look again and it is gone.

But I think if you refresh, the thank is there. I think

That's the kind of rubbish I used to say when I did technical support.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

For us it is. I've a feeling Kim will likely be fending off that blushing bag of bones all night.

newly single tubs is on the prowl, god help Kim

• Registered Users Posts: 19,749 ✭✭✭✭grey_so_what

Skid X wrote: »

I just used to say re-boot a lot........:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

On behalf of Amdublin, I'd like to thank everybody for not mentioning... well, not mentioning... ye know...

Screen-Shot-2014-07-30-at-17.12.19-953x337.png

^ That's Amdublin there, with her gun...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Ha ha.

I've done the old turn it off and on again. Sometimes works.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,513 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

image.jpgwhat the fk did I just watch? Brendan shine aka Dominic Walsh (god bless the unborn babby) no idea what happened in first half of show... Turgidity flirting with mrs Robinson lol here is a picture of what happened... Joking!!????

Hey I just met you and this is crazy so here's my number... Rlol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

On behalf of Amdublin, I'd like to thank everybody for not mentioning... well, not mentioning... ye know...

Screen-Shot-2014-07-30-at-17.12.19-953x337.png

^ That's Amdublin there, with her gun...

She did a sterling job. Well done amdublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

It's being discussed quite openly on every single website except this.

It has been on Politics.ie all week. Even Journal.ie are allowing
    comments now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

Genuine question? Were you informed that you aren't allowed comment on "a specific criminal trial (which is now over) on Boards until sentencing is over or are you just being extra vigilant? I am asking this not questioning your judgement (no pun intended!) but as I always was of the assumption that once the jury were freed of their duties and a judgement was cast down the media could report? My interpretation of Res judicita was always of something "already judged" which I would consider this case. Sentencing is in the hands of the judiciary now. I amn't looking to question you, or be smart, please don't take it that way. I am just very curious as to what instructions sites like this are given? I understand the implications of media stepping over the boundaries during trials.

Again, I reiterate this is a question! I really don't want a silly warning or ban for this! I don't think its out of line to ask!

Heathen wrote: »
    F**ks sake, another week spending my last bit of credit for a chance to win 20k and loosing :(

I'll be upstairs wiping my arse with my tv licence if anyone is looking for me!!

H

Is the weekly prize on LLS 20K? Thats quite high, isn't it? Or is it! It really irritates me how it is given away by a simple bloody question! No skill, no strategy, no fuss! I always wonder who picks up the phone and tries to win it! I am one of these "I'll never win it so I won't bother" type of people! Even that ridiculous gameshow thing with the Westlife boy that will never be Marty Whelan is silly way to give away big money!

• Advertisement

brooke 2 wrote: »
    It has been on Politics.ie all week. Even Journal.ie are allowing
    comments now.

Feel free to discuss it on any one of these websites.

United Chester Man - see post no #20, post no #431 and the warning in post #1 re your post.

MOD:
    All, thanks for last night.
    Rather than dragging this thread off topic, and discussing why or why not, what can't be mentioned can't be mentioned, the place to bring that up for discussion is over on the Feedback forum.

I'd prefer not to do this but if the thread goes off topic I will have to lock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

United Chester Man - see post no #20, post no #431 and the warning in post #1 re your post.

MOD:
    Rather than dragging this thread off topic, and discussing why or why not, what can't be mentioned can't be mentioned, the place to bring that up for discussion is over on the Feedback forum.

I'd prefer not to do this but if the thread goes off topic I waill have to lock it.
    Maybe its just me, but I enjoyed that period last night when we had to 'maintain radio silence,' as it were. The horror of the case in question didn't exactly lend itself to levity.
    And we picked up some tips on making crisp sandwiches. Plus we learned about the weather in various parts of the country, along with reminders to adjust our clocks.
    So everyone's a winner!
    I wonder if we should have a period of silence every Friday night. Like maybe during one of Louis Walshe's almost weekly appearances. The only way to treat Tubridy's fascination with canteen nobodies is with contemptible
    indifference.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,226 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

coolhull wrote: »
    Maybe its just me, but I enjoyed that period last night when we had to 'maintain radio silence,' as it were. The horror of the case in question didn't exactly lend itself to levity.
    And we picked up some tips on making crisp sandwiches. Plus we learned about the weather in various parts of the country, along with reminders to adjust our clocks.
    So everyone's a winner!
    I wonder if we should have a period of silence every Friday night. Like maybe during one of Louis Walshe's almost weekly appearances. The only way to treat Tubridy's fascination with canteen nobodies is with contemptible
    indifference.

Agreed.

Plus, I also learned that there are Nando's restaurants in Ireland, yet you Irish yearn for Greggs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Agreed.

Plus, I also learned that there are Nando's restaurants in Ireland, yet you Irish yearn for Greggs :)

Also, Wetherspoons have established a beachhead, two outlets in Blackrock and Dun Laoghaire with more to come.

€2.50 a pint!!

I think Coolhull is onto something there. The Off Topic Interlude made a nice change from the Misery Slot.

MOD:

I'd prefer not to do this but if the thread goes off topic I will have to lock it.

I already saw those posts........ Hence the question! As I said it was a genuine question and wasn't off topic considering the situation! (Definitely more on topic than crisp sandwhiches! :D ) I was only asking what instructions such sites are given but I appreciate if you cannot (dont want to) answer. Thanks anyway. Won't ask again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭LiamNeeson

Emma Thompson, there's a great actress.

Best actor in Love Actually by a mile (Sorry Liam)

but what about my brogue in Michael Collins?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

coolhull wrote: »
    So everyone's a winner!
    indifference.

That's a great post. Totally agree.

If there is an eejit on the SNS later, I shall be asking for more detail on what's good about Gregg's.

And how anyone doesn't like Nando's. (Or more specifically, totally spicy chicken (and chips & sweetcorn - I pour that stuff everywhere, baby. Yeah!)).

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Mod Note

There has been lots of questions as to why Boards.ie have not allowed any discussion on a recent high profile case.

One of the Legal Discussion Moderators, Hullaballoo has posted in the Feedback Forum to explain things further, it's worth reading.

I'm not too sure where to begin in relation to this stuff so I'll just start out by saying that the sub judice rule is in place to protect the integrity of the justice system. It protects both the accused person, the alleged victim and society in general. That is because if people were allowed to speak freely and publicly, there is a risk that this could have an influence on the outcome of the case. For example, if some evidence that the jury wasn't allowed to see is reported on or discussed publicly, there is a real risk the jurors will hear or read about it and that could have a massive impact on the outcome of the case - in other words, it could prejudice the accused person to such an extent that it directly leads to a conviction.

Contempt of court is an overlapping but separate issue - that is where someone does something that interferes with the workings of the courts (to put it plainly). That's a crime and it's largely up to the trial judge to deal with it there and then. Public discussion of an ongoing case might not quite reach the threshold for contempt of court but it could still be enough to prejudice the accused.

What happens when these things are discussed publicly is that the defence will invariably point to the ongoing reporting and debate as being something that necessarily effected the outcome of the case. No one is necessarily "liable" for the prejudice - it's usually more of a cumulative thing where reporting is so widespread and discussion so loose that in combination, this meant that the tribunal (judge + jury) must have been effected by it. Even if one person or outlet was deemed to have been the one who prejudiced the jury, the likelihood is that they would not be brought before the court to answer for it, unless they were also in contempt.

Also, you can't be sued by anyone for contempt - you can for defamation but I'm not getting into that here because I don't believe it's directly relevant in this case. What is important to say is that a take down notice, as some have suggested, is utterly useless regarding cases of prejudice. Once it is posted/printed/uttered, that's that. It's prejudiced the accused. No take backs.

So, the reality is that the ban is in place on boards not because boards can't fund litigation where litigation is unlikely but because of the principle of it. I personally certainly wouldn't like to have something I'd posted here being raised by someone on trial as evidence of prejudice and I doubt many others would like to feel like they contributed to either (a) effecting the case one way or another, or (b) seeing someone they believe to be guilty get an aquittal.

As for the other outlets who have reported on the case or allowed discussion, let them at it. If they're happy enough to risk the consequences of openly prejudicing an ongoing case, that's up to them. Boards management or whoever have obviously decided that the risk isn't worth it. FWIW, I agree with that decision because I've seen how incapable some people are of keeping their shit together when it comes to discussions about this sort of thing.

Regarding the actual case at hand, whilst the jury have made a decision, there is still sentencing. I agree that lifting the ban should be considered at this point because as others have pointed out, the judge can only do one thing. Having said that, though, I fully expect that the verdict will be appealed fully and that probably has a bearing on whoever is making this decision on boards.ie's behalf.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=94869280&postcount=38

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

thelad95 wrote: »
    In regards to the time management issue, didn't Gaybo regularly run over time if a guest was worth it? I mean what's on after the LLS that's so important anyway?

I just think Ryan is crippled by his inability to move away from his crib cards.

Yes,I remember it running over time a good bit in Gaybos day,then the flexability was there,they weren't overly worried about cutting off a good interview so people could see A Prayer At Bedtime(or whatever came after The LLS then) on schedule.

Advertisement