Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old Capitol Cinema

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

There was some development plan, no idea if any further plans have been made...
    http://www.irish-architecture.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7565

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I think there were plans to put a shopping centre on the site but that's not likely to happen now. I hope they do something there soon, it's a shame to see such a great site idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

I believe the developer in question can no longer raise the funds to redevelop the site (banks won't lend) so the plan is on hiatus for retooling. The redevelopment includes a large block of the surrounding buildings on grand parade too. They should move the haunted house to there for next Halloween!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

In 2005 an Application for Planning Permission was made (and subsequently withdrawn) by "Mount Kenneth Investment Co & John Costello" which stated that they were in the process of purchasing the site from "Granada Properties & Capitol (Cork) Ltd"

A second application was made in 2008 by Padlake Ltd (Directors: Michael Cahill & Noel Crowley) which is listed as the owner of the site. Attached is the Manager's Order (?) from March 2009 granting Planning Permission for:
    a mixed use infill development at No.s 14-20 Grand Parade, No.s 55-57 St. Patricks Street and Market Lane, Cork City. The proposed development will constitute the provision of a mixed use development incorporating retail and office use, and the demolition of (i) Nos 14 and 15 Grand Parade, (ii) The Captiol Cinema Building (no.16 -20 Grand Parade), (iii) Nos 55, 55A, 56, and 57 St Patricks Street (with the retention and refurbishment of facades onto St Patrick's Street) and (iv) the Vineyard Bar, Market Lane. The proposed mixed use development will be 4 stories above ground level in height and will provide 3 basement levels. Ground, First and Second floors will consist of retail use with set back third floor in office use. The lowest basement level will be used for housing, plant and retail use and the two basement levels over will provide for retail use. In total the proposed development will provide 8,410.9sq.m gross retail floor space and 1,419.5sq.m gross office floor space. The proposed development will also include the provision of an ESB substation, circulation space, plant rooms and all ancillary site works

BTW, this is all public info found on Cork City Council's Planning Enquiry System.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I don't know why they don't reopen the cinema and make some money out of the site. Unless the place has completely fallen apart I can't imagine it costing that much. The city centre could do with a decent cinema at the moment. Irelands first Imax if they really wanted to do it right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

I don't know why they don't reopen the cinema and make some money out of the site. Unless the place has completely fallen apart I can't imagine it costing that much. The city centre could do with a decent cinema at the moment. Irelands first Imax if they really wanted to do it right.
    the gate is on north main street??

i don't think the city is big enough for 2 cinemas

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

The city centre could do with a decent cinema at the moment. Irelands first Imax if they really wanted to do it right.

Ireland had an Imax cinema. It was in Dublin and it closed down nearly 12 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I really like the proposed development idea, 3 underground floors with shopping on all 3, and another 4 floors on top of that too? Plus the commitment to renew the existing facade on Patrick Street which really works well - Dunnes did an excellent refurb on their shop.

The Capitol had really gone downhill as a cinema, most of the screens had speakers which were intermittent - they'd drive you crazy watching a movie with the speaker cutting in and out all the time. I mentioned it to staff there several times over the course of a year and nothing was ever done.

EyeSight wrote: »
    the gate is on north main street??

i don't think the city is big enough for 2 cinemas

The gate is why I included the word decent. Didn't realise that we had IMAX in the country before, but given the new output from mainstream cinema I'm sure there would be interest in the format again.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭TheMutations

The Capitol site can never be used as a cinema again, due to legal stipulations put in place when the current owners bought the site off the previous owners. The previous owners, Ward-Anderson, opened the cinema in Mahon Point; and are protecting their market share by eliminating a potential competitor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Turn it into large concert venue
    #winning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

The Capitol site can never be used as a cinema again, due to legal stipulations put in place when the current owners bought the site off the previous owners. The previous owners, Ward-Anderson, opened the cinema in Mahon Point; and are protecting their market share by eliminating a potential competitor.
    Interesting.

Although somewhat out of date, this web page and in particular the last paragraph may be of interest: http://www.corkpastandpresent.ie/places/grandparade/capitolcinema/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I remember the first time I was allowed into town on my own going to see Batman in the newly refurbished Capitol. I was only in the old cinema once, I remember it being massive, I think it was a film about apartheid or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

I'd love to go in there now for a nose around. It'd be pretty cool to see what if anything from the cinema remains (seats, bits of projectors, reels of film etc)... I reckon the atmosphere alone would be incredible...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

We were just talking about this the other night, they should defo re-open it..It would be fantastic. The waste so much money building new buildings and then leaving the old beautiful ones go to the pots... I would love to get a looksie in there again to see what it is like now..

I remember one of the cinema rooms was huge me and my friends male I shall say went to see the spice girls we were the only ones there but we had so much fun just to be there.. Great spot shame to see if locked up

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Michael..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Looks like there will be a wider lane running down off Patrick st than the one that's there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭thomil

Looks like it, it will certainly be more apparent and inviting, the current lane looks like you're about to walk into a third-rate horror film when you walk past. As far as the rest of the plans are concerned, it looks like a great concept. A bit understated, but that's what the area calls for in my opinion.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Frog Song

Michael.. wrote: »

Brilliant, it will give the place a badly needed face lift. Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I saw the plans and it looks amazing. I just wonder though, if it will just mean that some other units will end up closing down? There is only so much demand for retail space in the city centre, you would imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭thomil

I may be mistaken, but I remember reading somewhere that there is actually a shortage of large retail spaces in the city centre. Sure, there are a lot of small spaces available, but nothing for larger stores, plus the condition those small spaces are in is another matter entirely. Meadows & Byrne recently announced that they would concentrate on larger stores, I think that was discussed in another thread. I could totally see them move into the new complex from their present store at Emmet Place, which is rumoured to be taken over by Nando's, anyway.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Meadows and byrne are not taking any space in the city afaik,you wonder in a few years would some retail space end up as white elephants.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

thomil wrote: »
    I may be mistaken, but I remember reading somewhere that there is actually a shortage of large retail spaces in the city centre. Sure, there are a lot of small spaces available, but nothing for larger stores, plus the condition those small spaces are in is another matter entirely. Meadows & Byrne recently announced that they would concentrate on larger stores, I think that was discussed in another thread. I could totally see them move into the new complex from their present store at Emmet Place, which is rumoured to be taken over by Nando's, anyway.

Meadow's and Byrne are concentrating on their Mahon Point store - Nando's are taking over their store on Academy Street.

saw the plans for it and I can saw Id be too impressed. The seem to just want to put more of the same old thing in there. Shame on them I really do think it would fantastic to bring back the old cinema or do something like this there. Who wants another top shop or restaurant they are dime a dozen in town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

No demand for another cinema in the city center. There are already three in there.

It doesn't have to be topshop, i'd be hoping for some local shops to go in there, maybe new ones starting up if they can price it right. It will certainly be 100 times better than what is there now, and i'm delighted the facade is not all glass! Love the awnings.

pwurple wrote: »
    No demand for another cinema in the city center. There are already three in there.

It doesn't have to be topshop, i'd be hoping for some local shops to go in there, maybe new ones starting up if they can price it right. It will certainly be 100 times better than what is there now, and i'm delighted the facade is not all glass! Love the awnings.

Isn't it being developed as a foody type centre to accompany the market? I think the design is really good. What's there is an absolute eyesore, even when it was redeveloped in 88ish, it wasn't going to win any awards. And it's been untouched since. It was my absolute last choice to go to as a cinema as well. It was grubby and a fecking warren inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Isn't it being developed as a foody type centre to accompany the market? I think the design is really good. What's there is an absolute eyesore, even when it was redeveloped in 88ish, it wasn't going to win any awards. And it's been untouched since. It was my absolute last choice to go to as a cinema as well. It was grubby and a fecking warren inside.

In fairness, it was greeeaat for the ole shift though ;):pac:

I'm a little pessimistic about it I must say. I'm all for redevelopment but I'm with Milly on this one...I think it will be just a town-based Mahon Point with UK multiples, but I hope I proved wrong. To make any sort of return on the investment, the rents would have to be quite high I would imagine, which would be out of the range for local / start ups. I would love to see this area be an "Arty Quarter" given it's proximity to the English Market....but where's the money in that?

Again, I hope I'm wrong!

Loire

• Registered Users Posts: 15,783 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Milly33 wrote: »
    saw the plans for it and I can saw Id be too impressed. The seem to just want to put more of the same old thing in there. Shame on them I really do think it would fantastic to bring back the old cinema or do something like this there. Who wants another top shop or restaurant they are dime a dozen in town

The Capitol was a bland, ugly building, with all the visual appeal of a bomb shelter.

And at least the new building should age well and won't be a monstrosity with acres of glazing like elsewhere. Think Cork is too small for an additional cinema anyway, what with all the competition from the likes of downloading, netflicks etc.

shame on you whiskey shame. The old cinema was not it was dated grand by the time it closed. But imagine if you brought it back to old school days... It would be fecking magical so it would. Red carpet, gold chains to let the crowds in. Some nice basics popcorn, cokes.

What three Cinemas in town I would class Blackpool as town. I know of the one the gate which is just shocking and should be closed down..

really cant believe people want more shops and food places

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

you have the triskel as well. I have no idea where the third one is though.

Advertisement