Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sky sports online only?

Options
  • 22-03-2015 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have sky broadband and w2as wondering if i can buy sky sports online without getting the tv dish etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,824 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Hi There,

Best way to get Sky Sports 'On Tap' is Now TV

http://www.nowtv.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

froog wrote: »
    Hi

I have sky broadband and w2as wondering if i can buy sky sports online without getting the tv dish etc?

If you know someone who has sky sports and doesn't use the sky go app just get their details if they will give them to you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We can't really allow discussion of that here.

However, contrary to the assertation in post #2, you certainly can get Sky Sports online, legally, without getting a dish and box. Takes a bit of digging around the Sky website admittedly and as is per usual for Sky, you have to take a basic pack before taking sports:

http://m.shop.sky.com/mt/www.sky.com/shop/tv/sky-go/

icdg wrote: »
    We can't really allow discussion of that here.

However, contrary to the assertation in post #2, you certainly can get Sky Sports online, legally, without getting a dish and box. Takes a bit of digging around the Sky website admittedly and as is per usual for Sky, you have to take a basic pack before taking sports:

http://m.shop.sky.com/mt/www.sky.com/shop/tv/sky-go/
    Good to see you active on the forum.

The link you provided is to Sky in the UK where things are done a teeny weeny bit different at times. Maybe you could link to something similar that's available here in Ireland.

In any event the OP asked if Sky Sports can be got without a dish which to me indicates that he either (a) does not want Sky to provide a dish which they wont agree to if he is signing up as a new customer or (b) is looking for "alternative" ways of getting Sky sports other than through the normal channels if you pardon the pun.

• Advertisement

Sorry, same details with prices in euro:

http://www.sky.com/ireland/tv/sky-go/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

muffler wrote: »
    Good to see you active on the forum.

The link you provided is to Sky in the UK where things are done a teeny weeny bit different at times. Maybe you could link to something similar that's available here in Ireland.

In any event the OP asked if Sky Sports can be got without a dish which to me indicates that he either (a) does not want Sky to provide a dish which they wont agree to if he is signing up as a new customer or (b) is looking for "alternative" ways of getting Sky sports other than through the normal channels if you pardon the pun.

nope i was wondering can i pay to get sky sports online as part of my sky broadband somehow, without getting sky tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

You can, but it's going to cost a fair bit.

You have to buy a SkyGo monthly subscription which is €29 P/M
    The you have to add in the SkySports Bundle, which is an EXTRA €38 P/M.

So €67 P/M which is €807 a year for a service when all you want is SkySports.

http://www.sky.com/quickbuy/ireland/new

You can, but it's going to cost a fair bit.

You have to buy a SkyGo monthly subscription which is €29 P/M
    The you have to add in the SkySports Bundle, which is an EXTRA €38 P/M.

So €67 P/M which is €807 a year for a service when all you want is SkySports.

http://www.sky.com/quickbuy/ireland/new

that's just buying sky tv. (but yes you get sky go etc with it)

it looks like it's not possible to buy skygo on its own then.

shame. i know loads of my friends would buy it.

nope i was wondering can i pay to get sky sports online as part of my sky broadband somehow, without getting sky tv.
    No. If you want sports you get Sky TV which is separate from your broadband/phone package.

As stated above you can have it on Sky Go but only after Sky install a dish for you and provide a box and connect it all up for free (on most occasions anyhow) and you dont want to watch the sports then on a telly?

So after getting all that set up and then pay €65 a month you would rather watch the sports on a PC / laptop / tablet?

The mind boggles :confused:

• Advertisement

No. If you want sports you get Sky TV which is separate from your broadband/phone package.

As stated above you can have it on Sky Go but only after Sky install a dish for you and provide a box and connect it all up for free (on most occasions anyhow) and you dont want to watch the sports then on a telly?

So after getting all that set up and then pay €65 a month you would rather watch the sports on a PC / laptop / tablet?

my tv is ****, i have a large HD monitor on my pc though, and a very comfortable computer chair! plus watching matches when i'm travelling with my laptop is appealing.

You could always ask them directly on their Talk To forum but I cant see it happening.

i'm also pretty sure satellite dished aren't allowed in my apartment block

You could always ask them directly on their Talk To forum but I cant see it happening.

thanks, i'll give it a shot. they've always been pretty helpful in the past.

thanks, i'll give it a shot. they've always been pretty helpful in the past.
    Indeed they are very helpful especially the reps on the Talk To forum.

Let us know how you get on with them as they tend not to post anything about how a lot of these queries are resolved.

If you look at the link I provided and scroll down to the section "without Sky TV in my home" it will show you how - it quite clearly refers to smartphone/tablet and laptop.

If you have an iOS device, download the iOS "Sky Sports Mobile TV app" and it allows you to subscribe to view Sky Sports in the app only as an in-app purchase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Maybe he travels a lot with work, and doesn't have access to a TV!

If you look at the link I provided and scroll down to the section "without Sky TV in my home" it will show you how - it quite clearly refers to smartphone/tablet and laptop.

If you have an iOS device, download the iOS "Sky Sports Mobile TV app" and it allows you to subscribe to view Sky Sports in the app only as an in-app purchase.

okay I found it at last,

so it's 50 quid a month for sky go incl sports on your computer with no dish.

not bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

Hi There,

Best way to get Sky Sports 'On Tap' is Now TV

http://www.nowtv.com/

According to their Ts&Cs, it's UK only.

It is, though I understand the only thing stopping them launching it here is their own marketing department. With the very high take up of pay-TV here I suspect they aren't keen on creating their own competition.

That said, because Sky don't allow ROI subscriptions to Now TV, I'm afraid we'd have to disallow any discussion on how to subscribe here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

It is, though I understand the only thing stopping them launching it here is their own marketing department. With the very high take up of pay-TV here I suspect they aren't keen on creating their own competition.

That said, because Sky don't allow ROI subscriptions to Now TV, I'm afraid we'd have to disallow any discussion on how to subscribe here.

Since when did Sky refuse to allow ROI customers sign up for Now TV. I bought a chromecast unit from Amazon.uk and that included 3 months free Now tv. registered for my 3 months, Sky's website allowed it, even when I gave my Irish address and email details. I never used it, and was only reminded about it when I noticed in my latest Visa statement that they had deducted €9.00 (£6.99) from 19th Feb. Got on to their Chat unit on their site to cancel & get a refund, which I got. They made no issue of my email address ending in.ie.

The service isn't IP-blocked to Ireland. However strictly speaking they don't allow Irish people to subscribe. Have a look at some of the responses on this thread, it may be of interest.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057001096&page=138

As I say this is purely a marketing decision on Sky's part. Chromecasts sold in Irish shops don't include that deal. Interestingly Sky have registered nowtv.ie, so never say never but it doesn't look like coming anytime soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

The service isn't IP-blocked to Ireland. However strictly speaking they don't allow Irish people to subscribe. Have a look at some of the responses on this thread, it may be of interest.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057001096&page=138

As I say this is purely a marketing decision on Sky's part. Chromecasts sold in Irish shops don't include that deal. Interestingly Sky have registered nowtv.ie, so never say never but it doesn't look like coming anytime soon.

Now tv will come to ireland in 2016 as 'snap' the german sky version launched in germany this year

Source? That would be an odd move considering Sky Ireland is to all intents and purposes an intregal part of Sky UK - it didn't even exist as a seperate company until August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Mallagio

ftakeith wrote: »
    Now tv will come to ireland in 2016 as 'snap' the german sky version launched in germany this year

I have Now TV & it works fine here right now......

Advertisement