Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When are kids old enough to play outside alone?

Options
  • 22-03-2015 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭

Our kid is three and a half, we live in the ass hole of nowhere with a big garden, a big gate and a hedge the whole way around the outside. I was thinking of letting them play outside alone this summer, just keeping watch out the window a pop out every now and again.

Do the good people of AH think three and a half is a little young or should it be OK?

There are probably forums for questions about kids but they'll be packed with so called experts that want us to wrap kids in cotton wool until they're 21.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

A secure garden and at three and half they haven't been playing alone outside yet! You're a year late!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It depends very much on the child in question.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Twould depend on the neighbours I'd have thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

2011 wrote:
    It depends very much on the child in question.

Tall for their age, fairly hardy and loves being outdoors.
    Twould depend on the neighbours I'd have thought?

There aren't many neighbours out here, the few we have are quiet. There aren't many other kids about. A 1 year old one side of us, a 13 year old the other side of us and we never really see the neighbours anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

When you can't hear them you have to investigate quickly. They can be like ninjas when they want!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

When they're old enough to carry a blade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

39 and 3/4 years old

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

At first I thought you meant in an estate with other children. It always makes me uneasy to see young children (2/3) playing in the road even if they are with their older siblings.

With regards to the back garden I'd say fire away. My daughter is 3 and a half and adores being outside so when some nice weather came around on Paddy's day we cleaned out the garden, gave her toys from summer a hose and off she went. I was studying from the kitchen table looking out the patio doors, she was delighted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

RonanP77 wrote: »
    Our kid is three and a half, we live in the ass hole of nowhere with a big garden, a big gate and a hedge the whole way around the outside. I was thinking of letting them play outside alone this summer, just keeping watch out the window a pop out every now and again.

Do the good people of AH think three and a half is a little young or should it be OK?

There are probably forums for questions about kids but they'll be packed with so called experts that want us to wrap kids in cotton wool until they're 21.

Shur let them off.
    And if the poison doesn't get them... God will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

27. At least 27...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

When their over 40. Taken straight from the Josef Fritzl School of Parenting

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

As soon as they're able to walk!

It's even better for them though if they have plenty of friends to play with outside. Children are great to entertain themselves, but they're even better at finding ways to entertain themselves in a group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Put a tracker on him, be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

2 years old, or a little younger if they are a bright child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

Give him a sand pile in easy view of the house, a bucket and spade, a few toy vehicles and a sunhat. Keep the shed with tools / chemicals bolted.

Probably less things to fall off in the garden than in the house, and it's suggested that simply spending a couple of hours outside each day decreases the likelihood of short-sightedness in children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

That seems really young. I'd let them out alone if they could walk/run well and could speak perfectly/shout loudly if in trouble. And I trusted them not to do something (too) stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

bb1234567 wrote: »
    That seems really young. I'd let them out alone if they could walk/run well and could speak perfectly/shout loudly if in trouble. And I trusted them not to do something (too) stupid.

They're three and a half! They could be at school in 6 months. I'd worry if a child couldn't walk, run, speak properly or shout for help at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

ressem wrote:
    Give him a sand pile in easy view of the house, a bucket and spade, a few toy vehicles and a sunhat. Keep the shed with tools / chemicals bolted.

Yeah I intend buying a tonne bag of builders sand and putting a 9" high wooden frame around it over beside the swings and lawn furniture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Yeah I intend buying a tonne bag of builders sand and putting a 9" high wooden frame around it over beside the swings and lawn furniture.

Don't forget a cover for the sand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Ours were out playing on our (quiet enough ) road and the green area beside it from around 4 to 5. Seems the norm with the other kids too.

Maybe it's just ours but kids that age don't tend to wander off too far on their own bat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

mikom wrote: »
    Don't forget a cover for the sand.

+ a million!
    Hi ronan....3 and a half is a grand age to let him out. Just lock the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

As long as the property is secure and you've child-proofed the garden (garden tools, any chemicals, etc. locked away) then I don't see the problem! Make sure he/she can't get out though (I know many a mini-Houdini), and alternatively, if your neighbours have dogs, make sure they can't get in, either.

Three and a half is the perfect age for garden adventures. My brother and I would play for hours on end in our garden with our little toy animal and dinosaur figures.

Don't use builders sand, you can buy washed play sand that will be safer for him, but make sure you keep it covered or it'll be the neighbourhood cat toilet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Eh, When did it become OK to leave children unsupervised at any age ? especially below 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Eh, When did it become OK to leave children unsupervised at any age ? especially below 6.

OP said nothing about letting his child out unsupervised. And where did this arbitrary age of 6 come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

If it were my kids...
    Boy: when he gets to an annoying age.
    Girl: when she's married.

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭dogcat

Depends on maturity...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Jaxxy wrote: »
    And where did this arbitrary age of 6 come from?

A secret message smuggled to the surface from the Internet outrage mines. Many toilers died to make sure it arrived in one piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Just keep regular checks on the kid and you'll be fine.

Fresh air will be great for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Just make the garden cage quite big and they should be ok.
    Oh and don't forget water.

Advertisement