Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ann and Barry books

Options
  • 08-06-2003 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Anyone remember them from Primary School ?

First books they made us read in school. Anyone got any copies of them still ? Must go into a schoolbook shop and look for them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

ha ha!

ann.. and.. barry.. went.. to.. the.. shop.

ann.. likes.. cake. barry.. likes.. jam.

ahhh.... memories! :D

methinks i still have some at home in the attic somewhere. must
    look next chance i get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

We had Kevin and Tara (late 70s-mid 80s). Some of the stories were a bit weird. One reader was devoted to the tale of how Kevin (?) fell down a hole in the road and had to be rescued. Another one had a tale of how some guy was forced to dig his own grave so he'd 'have a story to tell'. Then there was one about a bus driver who abducted a whole lot of zombified kids....

I vaguely remember Peter and Jane (Ladybird books methinks) and Pat and Ann too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yeah I still have Ann and Barry books somewhere in the attic.
    Then it moved on to Tara and Ben, I remember that's what my sister did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

Wow, that was back in the days!
    Does anyone remember the Irish equivalent? Aine agus Ronan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

We had Pol agus Niamh

• Advertisement

wasn't there some other one, for irish, Rírá, Lú lú... two more i
    can't think of the names... damn it, thats gonna bug me now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Scary!

I remember they (or perhaps it was Aine + Ronan) had this weird looking dog called Bran (who looked a lot like Disney's Pluto now that I think about it?). I'm surprised Walt's estate didn't clamp down on them like the heartless corporation that they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Originally posted by woolymammoth
    wasn't there some other one, for irish, Rírá, Lú lú... two more i
    can't think of the names... damn it, thats gonna bug me now.

Mickí and Nellí I think.
    I remember them too, I even remember the colour of their dungarees. :)
    Rírá (the Fox) had a grey pair with a red R on them
    Lúlú (pig) had a yellow pair with a white L
    Mickí (monkey) red pair white M
    Nellí (elephant) green pair red N

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭blahblah

Seo ì Ann, Seo è Barry,

Tà mammaì sa chistin, tà daddy sa ghàirdìn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭commuterised

Ann and Barry, wow I loved them. I felt like it was a real story and I was actually getting somewhere reading them. I can still remember the great sense of achievement.
    I'd love to get my hands of them now.... wish I'd kept them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

I still have a couple of Peter and Jane books at home, i also have some Puddle Lane books or something like that at home aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

oh man, we had copies of ann and barry at home till last year. we threw them out. they were of no good to us anymore.

can anyone remember Spot the dog, pop up books
    or meg and mog, the witch and her cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

No spoilers please... some of us are still reading Ann and Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

My mum and dad's names are Ann and Barry.

I don't know what else to say really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,934 ✭✭✭✭Stark

We had Ann&Barry + Kevin&Tara + Spot the Dog. All thrown out now though. Was there ever a couple in Irish children's literature that weren't brother and sister? Ah those books, all the character development, plot, suspense, twists and turns of "Timpiste ar an leac oighir" - the sum of our Irish class education from 1st class to 6th class. No wonder noone in this country can speak Irish after learning it for 14 years.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

tá mé brón ach tá gaeilge maith mé

hehehehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

anyone know of a web page with pictures of ann and barry. i've forgotten what they look like. i did a Google search and got loads of pages about Ann and Barry Ulanov

Spot the Dog can be seen on one of the childrens channels. i think it's Nick Jr. the things you see when there is a 3 year old in the house most days

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

We had Pat and Ann (people in their late 20s may remember the sequels: Baby Brigid and The Red Car). Boring they were too. My younger sister had Ann and Barry and I could tell they led much more interesting lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,514 ✭✭✭patch

Anois is Aris....... off topic slightly, wasn't there a tv series to go with the book?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

Anna and Barry were a very painful part of my life, i remember being asked to read a page out in class, but instead of reading it i made up what was happening.
    In the picture i remember they were in 2 little car's so i began to explain how they had stolen there parents cars and gone off on a race around the city... i also remembering the teacher not liking my version ver much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Hehe.... remember how Ann used to go shopping with her mom while Barry would drive his truck around....

Times have changed.... My younger siblings have Tara and Ben books... they've become politically correct... bah! :eek:

Yeah if they continued the series it would probably have ended up "Ben comes home every night drunk and beats his wife, while ann stays at home, cooks and cleans all day for her husband and is very grateful for it. And Ben heavily chastises himself for those thoughts he had about his friend Frank".

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

god yeah thinking about it now, ann and barry were so stereotypical. they portrayed to us as kids what we were suppossed to be like. blue is for boy and pink is for girl. boys drive trucks while girls go shopping.

im glad i didnt listen to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

The system affected you... you cannot escape.. muhaha and so forth...

And now the only Irish we know is nuacaint ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Man - I loved those books. I remember one where they were building or fixing a cart.

Jeez... the memories...

Originally posted by solice
    tá mé brón ach tá gaeilge maith mé
    isn't that, tá brón agam/orm? ach tá gaeilge maith orm?

damn languages... as you can probably see, i can't speak irish.
    could someone please correct me?

it's tá brón orm ach tá gaeilge maith agam.

A little inspirational message for all of those depressed Irish speakers out there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭therannu

Does anyone remember a story in English about a clockwork mouse that's convinced this elephant is its mam? We did it in fourth or fifth class, might have been in a Linx book. My da's always going on about it, and I spent a few hours in the library of Pat's in Drumcondra looking for it, under the gazes of scary teaching students.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

ann had a car, barry had a lorry.
    God do I remember them

Did you know they weraxed from irish curriculim/schools because of the fact they were stereotypical. The whole ann cooked and barry drove a lorry think. No kidding.

Advertisement