Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Burning Hot Wheel Rims

Options
  • 09-03-2015 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi,

I went for a 20km drive, and I noticed this humming sound lasting 5 seconds, it happened two to four times, then the sound of mental expanding and popping sound.

When I got out and checked the wheels I noticed both driver side and passenger wheel rims were burning hot! extremely hot.

What would cause this?

Note: I got two front wheels fitted a few weeks ago.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

Maybe brake calipers. Heat transferred to wheel through hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sally365

Thanks for the advice, would both brake calipers on the front need to fail for both wheel rims to experience this extremely heat on the rims?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Pov06

Were you going downhill a lot with my your foot on the brake pedal most of the drive?

It was mostly downhill for a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

it's a bit of a coincidence that you got wheels fitted recently, put the steering on full lock and have a look for something rubbing on the inside of the wheel rim.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I had it before with a brake calliper seizing. Get it checked out would be my suggestion!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Cerco

sally365 wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice, would both brake calipers on the front need to fail for both wheel rims to experience this extremely heat on the rims?
    If it is the calipers, then yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Were the wheel nuts put back on with an air gun. there is a possibility the tyre place tightened the wheel nuts too much and may have warped the brake discs.
    Mercedes trucks were known for brake failure after changing wheels for this reason

• Registered Users Posts: 73,383 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Wheel bearing or sticking caliper.

No air gun was used

• Advertisement

My bf used brake fluid in the car a few weeks ago, he has no idea what type he used. Could this be an causing the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

OP the best advice I can give is to take this to a mechanic. Brakes aren't something that should be taken lightly. This is a brake issue and should be resolved by a professional so that an accident doesn't occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

My money would be on a bearing too. My own had one damaged a few weeks ago - the heat of the rim would burn you!

Advertisement