Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Heroin Problem

Options
  • 06-03-2015 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

It has come to my attention that there is and will continue to be a growing Heroin problem in our small city that is Galway.

I would like to start this thread as a platform for us Galwegians to discuss and report such activity that is Obviously ongoing in the city center.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Been like that for the past few years. The users are usually very recognisable. I believe the castle on the Dyke Road is a popular spot for them to shoot up.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

To what end, OP?

I genuinely don't know what a thread like that would achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,313 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Supposed to be very rampant in the city alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AJGalway

We all know what type of problems happen when things get out of hand, just look at the state of Dublin.

It hasn't been this bad in years. Spreading awareness and acknowledging the fact that the problem is growing can help.

I know that the toilets in Eyre Square is notorious for it. I've watched them come and go throughout the day.

How can it help?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

I'm sorry, just what exactly is the point of this thread?

What do you want to discuss?
    What to you want to report and where do you intend on reporting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭todders

Agree op, Some people can't spell heroin correctly..it's a real problem..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

AJGalway wrote: »
    It has come to my attention that there is and will continue to be a growing Heroin problem in our small city that is Galway.

I would like to start this thread as a platform for us Galwegians to discuss and report such activity that is Obviously ongoing in the city center.
    Das Kitty wrote: »
    To what end, OP?

I genuinely don't know what a thread like that would achieve.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Supposed to be very rampant in the city alright.
    I'm sorry, just what exactly is the point of this thread?

What do you want to discuss?
    What to you want to report and where do you intend on reporting it?
    todders wrote: »
    WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Been like that for the past few years. The users are usually very recognisable. I believe the castle on the Dyke Road is a popular spot for them to shoot up.
    AJGalway wrote: »
    We all know what type of problems happen when things get out of hand, just look at the state of Dublin.

It hasn't been this bad in years. Spreading awareness and acknowledging the fact that the problem is growing can help.

I know that the toilets in Eyre Square is notorious for it. I've watched them come and go throughout the day.
    How can it help?

I met this extremely knowledgeable and approachable Portuguese dude at a students for sensible drug use talk in NUIG, and what he had to say was very sensible to say the least

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/03/17/lowering-the-deadly-cost-of-drug-abuse/decriminalizing-possession-of-all-illicit-drugs

João Castel-Branco Goulão is Portugal’s national drug coordinator and the chairman of the European Monitoring Center on Drugs and Drug Addiction.
    March 17, 2014

The overthrow of Portugal’s military dictatorship 40 years ago brought liberation after decades of repression. But along with political freedom and self expression, came another import from the free world that our citizens had long been denied, drugs. With little experience of their dangers, addiction and social problems soared. Soon the rates of abuse and overdose were staggering.
    Portugal deals with drug abusers outside of court, making treatment a priority.

We responded with a drastic measure. In 2000, Portugal decriminalized the use of all illicit drugs, and developed new policies on prevention, treatment, harm reduction and reinsertion. Drug use is no longer a crime, but it is still prohibited. Possession of what a person would use in 10 days or less is no longer a matter for the courts. Users are referred to Commissions for Drug Addiction Dissuasion, which educate them, discourage them from consuming drugs and help them find treatment. The idea behind the new law is that drug addiction must be addressed as a health or social condition.
    While critics of the law warned that drug use would swell, it has not risen. We have seen significant reductions in H.I.V. infections and in overdoses, as well as a substantial increase in new patients seeking drug treatment.
    Much of this reduction in the harm suffered by drug users, I believe, is due to the commissions' outreach, treatment programs and measures to protect users' health.
    Police and customs authorities continue to suppress trafficking, but they now have added resources that were once allocated to pursuing users.

SIMPLES!!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭todders

I met this extremely knowledgeable and approachable Portuguese dude at a students for sensible drug use talk in NUIG, and what he had to say was very sensible to say the least

http://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebate/2014/03/17/lowering-the-deadly-cost-of-drug-abuse/decriminalizing-possession-of-all-illicit-drugs

João Castel-Branco Goulão is Portugal’s national drug coordinator and the chairman of the European Monitoring Center on Drugs and Drug Addiction.
    March 17, 2014

The overthrow of Portugal’s military dictatorship 40 years ago brought liberation after decades of repression. But along with political freedom and self expression, came another import from the free world that our citizens had long been denied, drugs. With little experience of their dangers, addiction and social problems soared. Soon the rates of abuse and overdose were staggering.
    Portugal deals with drug abusers outside of court, making treatment a priority.

We responded with a drastic measure. In 2000, Portugal decriminalized the use of all illicit drugs, and developed new policies on prevention, treatment, harm reduction and reinsertion. Drug use is no longer a crime, but it is still prohibited. Possession of what a person would use in 10 days or less is no longer a matter for the courts. Users are referred to Commissions for Drug Addiction Dissuasion, which educate them, discourage them from consuming drugs and help them find treatment. The idea behind the new law is that drug addiction must be addressed as a health or social condition.
    While critics of the law warned that drug use would swell, it has not risen. We have seen significant reductions in H.I.V. infections and in overdoses, as well as a substantial increase in new patients seeking drug treatment.
    Much of this reduction in the harm suffered by drug users, I believe, is due to the commissions' outreach, treatment programs and measures to protect users' health.
    Police and customs authorities continue to suppress trafficking, but they now have added resources that were once allocated to pursuing users.

SIMPLES!!

You lost me at "dude"

Simples, indeed..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Why would there be a "substantial increase" in those seeking drug treatment if the numbers of drug users/drug use "has not risen"?

• Advertisement

catallus wrote: »
    Why would there be a "substantial increase" in those seeking drug treatment if the numbers of drug users/drug use "has not risen"?

Because people who were afraid to seek treatment for fear of prosecution finally did?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I've heard that there's a dramatic increase in heroin use in the city and read in the paper that on a Sunday afternoon before Christmas that there were people shooting up in public on a Sunday afternoon while families out for walks strolled past.
    I've never heard anyone I know talking about it as a problem or encountering anything to do with it. Are there people here who are seeing it or encountering it regularly? Are there areas where it's an obvious problem now?

Because people who were afraid to seek treatment for fear of prosecution finally did?

Would a more obvious answer be that more people are using?

Yeah, I'd have thought that was obvious.

Higher usage would generally mean higher numbers seeking treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

If you think this country will ever legalise illicit drugs (the same country which is introducing minimum pricing on alcohol and plain cigarette packets) you're sorely mistaken.

The herons are grand - it's the seagulls that are a menace.

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    If you think this country will ever legalise illicit drugs (the same country which is introducing minimum pricing on alcohol and plain cigarette packets) you're sorely mistaken.

Yeah, not a chance any political party would even try it in the foreseeable future.

I'd imagine the drug problem would have to get far far worse for them to even consider it.

I actually wasnt guessing. I shouldn't have used the question mark. It's a fact that fear of prosecution prevents addicts from seeking help.

I actually wasnt guessing. I shouldn't have used the question mark. It's a fact that fear of prosecution prevents addicts from seeking help.

Then how can one explain 2246 people entering drug treatment for the first time in Ireland versus only 2265 in Portugal (which has over double our population)?

http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/stats13#display:/stats13/tditab9b

It can't be because drug use in Portugal has fallen; even the staunchest defenders of decriminalisation claim only it "hasn't risen" and that's debatable:
    Despite the downward trend observed during 2002–06, the most recent ESPAD study corroborates the findings of the HBSC study, showing an increase in consumption of illicit substances since 2006.

http://www.emcdda.europa.eu/publications/country-overviews/pt#pdu

Anyways, I could be wrong, maybe it is police policy in Ireland to stake out treatment centres to find people to arrest, but I'd like to see some evidence of that :rolleyes:

The problem with drug prohibition is that the rewards for drug-dealing vastly outweigh the risks and punishment. That, and given human nature, which ensures an endless supply of people who are prepared to dope themselves up to the eyeballs given half a chance (witness any street full of drunken louts anywhere in the world on a Saturday night).

But really, is the solution making drugs more freely available the truly responsible solution?

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Can someone please fix the thread title? It's making me twitch every time I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I've heard that there's a dramatic increase in heroin use in the city and read in the paper that on a Sunday afternoon before Christmas that there were people shooting up in public on a Sunday afternoon while families out for walks strolled past.
    I've never heard anyone I know talking about it as a problem or encountering anything to do with it. Are there people here who are seeing it or encountering it regularly? Are there areas where it's an obvious problem now?

Sounds like something Keith Finnegan would be waffling on about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

todders wrote: »

Look, I know they eat a lot of fish and all that, but give them a break.

stan-carey-heron-at-spanish-arch-17-galway.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pretty recently Chief Supt. for Galway said that 300 people are using Heroin in Galway, and over 20k worth has been seized in 2014. To be fair, it's not that high for a population the size of Galway.

However the most important part of that figure is the fact that it's increased pretty significantly since 2013. Also, Councillors in Westside have been recently vocal about discarded needles being discovered in playgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Loose needles makes me sick...a few kids in Dublin have been nicked on the Luas and Dart....cant imagine the damage id do to the next junkie i saw if my kid was ever caught by some junkies fcukin needle

• Registered Users Posts: 25,798 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Has anyone provided a safe place for junkies to dispose of their needles?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

.a few kids in Dublin have been nicked on the Luas and Dart....

Where did you get this statistic? I'm kind of surprised that it's been children (multiple?) getting nicked on the Luas and Dart. I would have assumed that kids are way more likely to come in contact with used needles in places like waste grounds etc when playing. And was it only kids that got 'nicked' by needles on public transport, or a mix of adults too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Has anyone provided a safe place for junkies to dispose of their needles?

Bless their dainty little hearts, it can't be easy holding down a full time drug habit and be expected clean up after themselves too.

How about providing a place to dispose of junkies instead?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

inisboffin wrote: »
    Where did you get this statistic? I'm kind of surprised that it's been children (multiple?) getting nicked on the Luas and Dart. I would have assumed that kids are way more likely to come in contact with used needles in places like waste grounds etc when playing. And was it only kids that got 'nicked' by needles on public transport, or a mix of adults too?

There was a recent case.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/horror-as-little-boy-jabbed-by-syringe-needle-on-city-bus-30912613.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Lapin wrote: »

Thanks, yeah I heard about that, awful situation, but the other poster seemed to cite multiple cases all on transport, which surprised me. The article seems to mention the other occurrences, but they some seem to be over 11 years ago, as opposed to recently as I interpreted.

I'm also failing to see how beating the sh*t out of the next junkie would do anything to rectify this. Bit like beating up the next drunk you saw because someone else hurt your kid.

Advertisement