Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amiko Alien2 / SAB / GM / ST7162 ** ENIGMA ** Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

Not had to do it in quite a while, but championc advised me on it, I think I delete everything with epg on it, the data file & crossepg, I also delete from 'deleted items' as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭Zardoz

techdiver wrote: »

I come to the realization that the box (with enigma2) is only useful as a Tuner with ok PVR functionality. (I have found that it is completely unstable). Whilst I appreciate that enigma and the various plugins are open source, most of them are very unstable and cause multiple crashes and often lock up the box.

I think that you are expecting too much from a receiver costing 140 euro .

Its a triple tuner with pvr capabilities ,that has a 7 day epg,timeshift ,supports streaming to pc's/laptops etc, and has some decent plugins like 1channel for watching movies ,rteplayer ,ondemand etc.
    Its not a jack of all trade boxes,even the top end receivers costing 300 euro plus struggle to cope with some of the things you are trying to achieve.

As the chipset is SH4 and not Mips ,alot of the plugins have to be patched or modified to run on the Alien 2 hence some will be buggy.

I agree that its not the easiest receiver to configure ,especially for a novice .
    All Enigma 2 receivers have a steep learning curve but the Alien 2 is a bit steeper as its a ported E2 platform.
    Enigma is so fragile that often these app crashes completely screw up the entire OS and I have to re-flash again. I have re-flashed more times than I care to remember. The other morning for instance, after working perfectly the night before, the box just wouldn't respond, even after a hard boot and I had to re-flash. There is far too much maintenance involved. I would not recommend this box for anyone who is not very computer savvy.
    Perhaps the older versions of Enigma 2 on the Alien 2 were unstable but not any of the recent versions going back almost a year.
    I have alot of E2 receivers and I honestly get the least number of lockups or green screens on the Alien 2.
    There must be something seriously wrong with your setup if its continuously crashing like that .

Btw I just installed Media Center on Hyperion 4.5, no bother at all.

Networked mounts are notoriously problematic on E2 receivers and even E1 ,I gave up on them years ago ,most receivers havent enough memory to buffer the data properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭techdiver

Zardoz wrote: »

Its a triple tuner with pvr capabilities ,that has a 7 day epg,timeshift ,supports streaming to pc's/laptops etc, and has some decent plugins like 1channel for watching movies ,rteplayer ,ondemand etc.
    Its not a jack of all trade boxes,even the top end receivers costing 300 euro plus struggle to cope with some of the things you are trying to achieve.

As the chipset is SH4 and not Mips ,alot of the plugins have to be patched or modified to run on the Alien 2 hence some will be buggy.

I agree that its not the easiest receiver to configure ,especially for a novice .
    All Enigma 2 receivers have a steep learning curve but the Alien 2 is a bit steeper as its a ported E2 platform.

Perhaps the older versions of Enigma 2 on the Alien 2 were unstable but not any of the recent versions going back almost a year.
    I have alot of E2 receivers and I honestly get the least number of lockups or green screens on the Alien 2.
    There must be something seriously wrong with your setup if its continuously crashing like that .

Networked mounts are notoriously problematic on E2 receivers and even E1 ,I gave up on them years ago ,most receivers havent enough memory to buffer the data properly.

For the most part crashes happen due to plugins. I agree that if you use it 100% as a TV box only it works. On reflection, I was being harsh on the box. I was just frustrated spending hours trying to get things to work.

I installed Freshpots image and any time I attempt to install anything from the blue panel it just hangs. I reflashed numerous times, but the same result. When did you install media centre? Did you just install it through the blue panel or do you know where I can grab an ipk? Does your image handle DTS sound? Can it down sample to stereo? I can stream files that have AC3 fine and it down samples fine. If I stream any movies with DTS I get no sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭cyndale

For the most part crashes happen due to plugins. I agree that if you use it 100% as a TV box only it works. On reflection, I was being harsh on the box. I was just frustrated spending hours trying to get things to work.

I think we are all guilty of 'tinkering' with the box instead of enjoying it for what it is! I did a lot of 'tinkering' myself and got frustrated with it. So I decided to just download an image (Freshpots V4.5) and left it at that!:cool:

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭deezell

I've just returned to Enigma2 on a SAB triple after a month on Spark. I've progressed to Dreambox edit of the EPG list, created my own list alongside all the others. Some questions. On DBedit right panel, What does to two == signs in front of the Sky styled program lists mean. Is it to do with putting numbers in front. Second, the most important question, My box always reboots with RTE news now , or sometimes with The sky RTE1, which of course is blank because its encrypted. How do I make my own favourites list the default startup list (or bouquet in CoolTV Guide speak) so that the Box will always show RTE1, and even more importantly, the remote buttons 1-6 correspond to the first six programs on my own list. On reboot these seem to default to the sky list, which is no use to me as I have RTE on Terrestrial. Its too difficult to explaing bouguets to the other user of the box, whats required is that 1 on the remote always means RTE1 terrestrial and so on. I could just delete all the sky and other lists I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I agree with you for the value of the box and what it does nothing comes close. I started off using it with open atv and probably didn't have it set up properly but since I changed over to hyp 4.5 and got it set up how I like it I have not had a system crash in over a month. It records on time without fail everytime. The epg updates every night without a glitch. Rte player works perfect when I do need to use it. The picture is perfect for sd. No lag changing channels sure what more could ya want for 150 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

deezell wrote: »
    I've just returned to Enigma2 on a SAB triple after a month on Spark. I've progressed to Dreambox edit of the EPG list, created my own list alongside all the others. Some qustions. On DBedit right panel, What does to two == signs in front of the Sky styled program lists mean. Is it to do with putting numbers in front. Second most important question, My box always reboots with RTE news now , or sometimes with The sky RTE1, which of course is blank because its encrypted. How do I make my own favourites list the default startup list (or bouquet in CoolTV Guide speak) so that the Box will always show RTE1, and even more importantly, the remote buttons 1-6 correspond to the first six programs on my own list. On reboot these seem to default to the sky list, which is no use to me as I have RTE on Terrestrial. ts too difficult to explaing bouguets to the other user of the box, whats required is that 1 on the remote always means RTE1 terrestrial and so on. I could just delete all the sky and other lists I suppose.

I can't answer your first question without DB edit open in front of me but I can try and answer your second question.

To change the default start channel, select the channel you want to be the start up channel, press the menu button and there is an option in there to set the service as start-up service, select that you're done.

I can't answer your first question without DB edit open in front of me but I can try and answer your second question.

To change the default start channel, select the channel you want to be the start up channel, press the menu button and there is an option in there to set the service as start-up service, select that you're done.

OK, Is that on DBedit interface or on the Enigma Box itself I make that change? I was searching the menus on the SAB box and couldn't see anything obvious

deezell wrote: »
    OK, Is that on DBedit interface or on the Enigma Box itself I make that change? I was searching the menus on the SAB box and couldn't see anything obvious

When you are watching rte 1 or any channel press up or down on your amiko remote, highlight the channel you want to use as your start up channel then press menu button and select "set as startup service"

I installed Freshpots image and any time I attempt to install anything from the blue panel it just hangs. I reflashed numerous times, but the same result. When did you install media centre? Did you just install it through the blue panel or do you know where I can grab an ipk? Does your image handle DTS sound? Can it down sample to stereo? I can stream files that have AC3 fine and it down samples fine. If I stream any movies with DTS I get no sound.

I installed Media Centre through the blue panel ,yes .

Freshpots image has a modified audio.elf file to give better audio playback via an amp but it has no DTS support so that explains why you arent getting any DTS audio to work.

This is the original audio.elf file ,it goes in /boot,it supports DTS.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oxg83h2m7c21brl/AAAuVbgKDEZ0ZX5Jeo3NRtfWa?dl=0

Here is the Media Centre plugin,just extract and ftp the folder to usr/lib/enigma2/python/plugins/extensions.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/exzuattrkvu15u8/AABKph82qeWMw6Odzqnpw5LRa?dl=0

This is the link to the top level of the Alien 2 file repository,lots of good files and plugins in there
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rgqdxriaivl9v3e/AACtiW-BDsbi0cckTxIzJEJJa?dl=0

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

I installed Media Centre through the blue panel ,yes .

Freshpots image has a modified audio.elf file to give better audio playback via an amp but it has no DTS support so that explains why you arent getting any DTS audio to work.

This is the original audio.elf file ,it goes in /boot,it supports DTS.
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/oxg83h2m7c21brl/AAAuVbgKDEZ0ZX5Jeo3NRtfWa?dl=0

Here is the Media Centre plugin,just extract and ftp the folder to usr/lib/enigma2/python/plugins/extensions.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/exzuattrkvu15u8/AABKph82qeWMw6Odzqnpw5LRa?dl=0

This is the link to the top level of the Alien 2 file repository,lots of good files and plugins in there
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rgqdxriaivl9v3e/AACtiW-BDsbi0cckTxIzJEJJa?dl=0

Hope this helps

Thanks a million. That has sorted my DTS issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ac2000

Thanks ac2000

I will upload a backup of 4.5 in the next few days ,have been meaning to upload it before now but havent had a chance

Thanks @Zardoz, look forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

jayo26 wrote: »
    I agree with you for the value of the box and what it does nothing comes close. I started off using it with open atv and probably didn't have it set up properly but since I changed over to hyp 4.5 and got it set up how I like it I have not had a system crash in over a month. It records on time without fail everytime. The epg updates every night without a glitch. Rte player works perfect when I do need to use it. The picture is perfect for sd. No lag changing channels sure what more could ya want for 150 euro.

Are you using anyone's backup image or did you start from scratch yourself? What is the best back up image recommended from the guys here?

snaps wrote: »
    Are you using anyone's backup image or did you start from scratch yourself? What is the best back up image recommended from the guys here?

I'm using freshpots image and I tweaked a few things on it as I went along but nothing major just preferences but I have tried loads images and his is the most reliable by far.

jayo26 wrote: »
    When you are watching rte 1 or any channel press up or down on your amiko remote, highlight the channel you want to use as your start up channel then press menu button and select "set as startup service"

This just green screen crashes my box. I must have some issues with the cooltv plugin. I assume you were using cooltv and not just a basic EPG when you suggested this.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Imstuck

No, you've misunderstood. It's basic epg.

View the channel that you want as start up channel, ie. watch whatever program is on now!
    Press ok.
    Press menu.
    Press select as start up

Imstuck wrote: »
    No, you've misunderstood. It's basic epg.

View the channel that you want as start up channel, ie. watch whatever program is on now!
    Press ok.
    Press menu.
    Press select as start up
    Ah yes, a whole set of menus I've not seen before. the green crash went once I restored my network connection which had also died. I've set the startup channels, but button "1" still brings up sky rte1, channels 101 which is the first item on the sky bouquet. I'm just going to delete all these and put my bouquet as the first on the list, as I have my own tight list of channels I watch, less than twenty. Last thing I need is the box pointing to a list your of obscure channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 soberasajudge

For FreshPots,
    I've been running your Hv4.5 for months now on my own box and also flashed it to 3 other mates boxes. All very happy and impressed.
    I'm currently messing about with an NBox 5800sx and looking for the sky skin you used. Do you have it as a .ipk file please?

Cerdito wrote: »
    I have the box and pi connected via rj45 directly into the same upc modem. This happens with all files.

Another thing i tried was copying the video files directly to the hdd connected to the enigma box and playing then from there. Same pixelation and artifacts issue when played locally.

I am thinking this could be an issue with the codecs on the enigma box for avi/mkv/mp4. Files recorded from the tuners (ts) play fine off the same hdd with no pixelation /artifacts.

I did try to install media center as you mention, but it just hangs. Any other thoughts?

Hey, I tested mine and I have the same issue you report. I've tested a few mkv's over the network and all of them suffer picture break up and noise.

I'll try some more and see if there are any common denominators, but I assume the box has issues playing certain containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

techdiver wrote:
    Hey, I tested mine and I have the same issue you report. I've tested a few mkv's over the network and all of them suffer picture break up and noise.

techdiver wrote:
    I'll try some more and see if there are any common denominators, but I assume the box has issues playing certain containers.

Yeah, my dad has an amiko with the same image and he gets the picture breakup. For me it happens on all file formats: avi, mp4 & mkv. I'm hopeful it's related to the image rather than the box, I can stick it up for now and update to the next version of hyperion where it might be addressed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭bappelbe

Cerdito wrote: »
    Yeah, my dad has an amiko with the same image and he gets the picture breakup. For me it happens on all file formats: avi, mp4 & mkv. I'm hopeful it's related to the image rather than the box, I can stick it up for now and update to the next version of hyperion where it might be addressed

I have got these from time to time, I found the OpenATV images the best for playing media files.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

hi guys was using zardoz 4.5 image and why is it that some channels have no signal and others do.when i change back to open atv all channels work.is there a way to fix this.i have 3 boxes btw.would that be a problem

hi guys was using zardoz 4.5 image and why is it that some channels have no signal and others do.when i change back to open atv all channels work.is there a way to fix this.i have 3 boxes btw.would that be a problem

This is on the Alien 1 ? ,as I havent uploaded my 4.5 Alien 2 backup here yet.

There is probably a different channel list on the different receivers I suppose ,are you running autobouquets ,or are you using dreambox edit to put the same channel list on each receiver or are you just hoping the channels will magically retune ??

Channels change frequencies all the time ,a few music channels changed the other day ,the channel list I put on the backup was up to date as of Feb 22nd .
    Which ones arent working ?

There is probably a different channel list on the different receivers I suppose ,are you running autobouquets ,or are you using dreambox edit to put the same channel list on each receiver or are you just hoping the channels will magically retune ??

Channels change frequencies all the time ,a few music channels changed the other day ,the channel list I put on the backup was up to date as of Feb 22nd .
    sky 1 channel 4 e4 more 4 dave most of music channels and kids and sky showcase.ya it is alien 1 and

also tried dreamboxedit with the latest set and still the same.its strange as i love hyperion 4.5 but need those channels to work..pity..waiting for alien 2 backup now lol to see

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Griffinx

Slevster wrote: »
    Have you looked at the hdmi-cec manager n the blue panel?

Doesn't seem anything there which would suit the bill

anybody a fix

also tried dreamboxedit with the latest set and still the same.its strange as i love hyperion 4.5 but need those channels to work..pity..waiting for alien 2 backup now lol to see

What latest set did you load on ?

I have a backup of a recent Openatv 4.3 image too ,might upload it soon, I tried it earlier and the channels are all working on it ,same as on Hyperion 4.5 .
    Could it be a signal issue ? Were the channels working ok when you put Hyperion 4.5 on last week ?
    You are going to have to post longer posts alan,single sentences arent very informative as to your issues .

Openatv images are pretty nice for the Alien 1 but it has a slight lag at times compared with Hyperion and the channel zapping is alot slower.

I have a backup of a recent Openatv 4.3 image too ,might upload it soon, I tried it earlier and the channels are all working on it ,same as on Hyperion 4.5 .
    Could it be a signal issue ? Were the channels working ok when you put Hyperion 4.5 on last week ?
    You are going to have to post longer posts alan,single sentences arent very informative as to your issues .

Openatv images are pretty nice for the Alien 1 but it has a slight lag at times compared with Hyperion and the channel zapping is alot slower.
    how could it be a signal issue.just plugged it into my living room connection and loaded 4.5 and all channels work and tried kitchen and 0 signal on the same few channels.im baffled as to why it is.what could be wrong in kitchen thats different from my sitting room connection.

• Advertisement

i used the latest set also.forgot to mention

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement