Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom email server

Options
  • 01-03-2015 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi

I have Sky broadband, but still retain my eircom email account. I have outlook setup for thsi & have been succesfully using it for the last 2 years. Since last Wednesday I have stopped receiving emails, though I can still send them. I get a timeout error (0x8004210A)

Have there been some changes to the eircom incoming mail server that I need to make. Currently I use incoming server webmail.eircom.net. and POP3 port 110

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Check you AnitVirus, disable it then try and download your mail with the old settings. I had the latest AVG free block my mail for a week or two before I spotted what was going on. Can't be sure of the issue as I have just reloaded my main system and its working fine with latest AVG free?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭tombrown

unfortunately that doesnt work

Can you telnet to the mail server? You might need to load telnet as Windows doesn't always have it by default. Then Run>CMD>telnet webmail.eircom.net 110
    If you don't get a response then your email client (outlook) won't either.

Tried that -

COS window went blank, and then, after about 60 seconds I get

+OK POP3 Ready 78.16.122.128 0001ac5e

Used USER & PASS commends to login & got

+OK Server Ready

Then logged out using QUIT

What next? :)

tombrown wrote: »
    Tried that -

Used USER & PASS commends to login & got

+OK Server Ready

Then logged out using QUIT

What next? :)

That means you can can connect to the mail server and from your current IP address which is the one listed.

That tends to indicate a problem with Outlook :(

• Advertisement

The thing is - I have my own & my wife's eircom email accounts on the same PC (separate Windows logins) and my wife's account on a separate PC and they all fail the same. But they were all working up until last Wednesday

Accessing email via the net works OK, so the accounts are fine

The thing is - I have my own & my wife's eircom email accounts on the same PC (separate Windows logins) and my wife's account on a separate PC and they all fail the same. But they were all working up until last Wednesday

Accessing email via the net works OK, so the accounts are fine

While the telnetting to the server proves you can make the connection have you done something as simple as restarting your router recently?

my3cents wrote: »
    While the telnetting to the server proves you can make the connection have you done something as simple as restarting your router recently?
    Actually, yes. We had a lightening storm last week & had to restart the router after that - and that woudl probably coincide with the problem

I just rebooted it & unfortunately the problem persists. All other connectivity is fine (web, outgoing email server, my work VPN & email etc). Is there something I should be checking in the router config now?

Actually, yes. We had a lightening storm last week & had to restart the router after that - and that woudl probably coincide with the problem

I just rebooted it & unfortunately the problem persists. All other connectivity is fine (web, outgoing email server, my work VPN & email etc). Is there something I should be checking in the router config now?

I've come across stranger things happening after lightening so I'd be considering a new router do a factory reset on it first.

If you want further tests then you can check if you are logging on to your mail server correctly with a really old mail client that still works with Eircom (just tested it to be sure) "Popcorn" get it at http://download.cnet.com/Popcorn/3000-2367_4-10048048.html only a 150kB download. Installing it won't mess up your outlook but might download your email so check it online (webmail) first. Configure an email address and see if that works? On the mail settings page I think unchecking the safe download and delete check box leaves the mail on the server.

Forgot to say Popcorn keeps a small log of the last 100 lines of actions (Action log 8th button along on the menu) which give a little more info if things don't work.

• Advertisement

my3cents wrote: »
    Forgot to say Popcorn keeps a small log of the last 100 lines of actions (Action log 8th button along on the menu) which give a little more info if things don't work.
    Thanks for the advice; here's an update :-

I downloaded & used popcorn per suggestion, and it still fails to receive email. The error dialog that appears states "Popcorn has timed out while waiting to receive data from the POP server"; the command log shows "CONNECT: Connected to host webmail.eircom.net" at 18:39:51 and then "POP REPLY : Server command/data-receive timeout" at 18:40:54

So it seems I connect to the email server OK, but it times out the request to receive email.

Couple of other things I checked :-

1) I connected the laptop via a hotspot on my mobile phone & got the same results (should rule out a router issue)
    2) I checked the kids' email on the laptop (they have Gmail accounts), using Outlook, and that worked OK

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tried that -

60 seconds is waaaay too long, and is probably what is causing the timeout.

The eircom mail server is attempting a reverse DNS lookup on your IP address and is failing. You may have received a different IP address recently if you've rebooted your router for whatever reason for which Sky have not (yet) created a host name.

78.16.122.128 above is your IP address, and if I do a nslookup on it (using either the UPC or Google DNS servers) it returns it as unknown.

When I telnet to the same server from my UPC connection it comes back immediately with the same response but with a host name in place of my IP address.

You could try and escalate it with Sky, but if I were you I'd just reboot my router and see if you can pick up a new IP address that returns a valid host name and then leave it on 24/7.

Alun wrote: »
    60 seconds is waaaay too long, and is probably what is causing the timeout.

The eircom mail server is attempting a reverse DNS lookup on your IP address and is failing. You may have received a different IP address recently if you've rebooted your router for whatever reason for which Sky have not (yet) created a host name.

78.16.122.128 above is your IP address, and if I do a nslookup on it (using either the UPC or Google DNS servers) it returns it as unknown.

When I telnet to the same server from my UPC connection it comes back immediately with the same response but with a host name in place of my IP address.

You could try and escalate it with Sky, but if I were you I'd just reboot my router and see if you can pick up a new IP address that returns a valid host name and then leave it on 24/7.

Thanks, but I have rebooted the router a few times in the last 24 hours & no joy :(

Thanks, but I have rebooted the router a few times in the last 24 hours & no joy :(
    Did you get the same IP address each time? If so, try leaving it switched off for a good while before switching it on again.

If it's really waiting 60 seconds every time to return the Ready response there's definitely something wrong.

Did you get the same IP address each time? If so, try leaving it switched off for a good while before switching it on again.

If it's really waiting 60 seconds every time to return the Ready response there's definitely something wrong.

No it looks like i have a different IP address - the one on the router config page is 78.16.x.y (not the same as the one above)

I can give the full IP address, just not sure how wise that is on a public board

No it looks like i have a different IP address - the one on the router config page is 78.16.x.y (not the same as the one above)

I can give the full IP address, just not sure how wise that is on a public board

However - do note I had the same problem (with Outlook) when connecting via a hotspot on my phone; which would have an IP address within the Vodafone domain, so not sure that is the issue.

Admittedly I haven't tried telnet with my phone as the hotspot, as it requires me to drive 15 minutes form home to pickup a decent 3G signal :S

Ah OK, didn't see that. It'd be really unlucky if both IP address ranges were giving the same problem.

If you telnet to the server as you did before and then once logged in do a LIST or STAT command what does it say?

Ah OK, didn't see that. It'd be really unlucky if both IP address ranges were giving the same problem.

If you telnet to the server as you did before and then once logged in do a LIST or STAT command what does it say?
    STAT returns :-

+OK 306 10784718

LIST returnes two columns of numbers, the first column is integers up to 306 (I assume it starts at 1, but can only scroll back to 9, which is, I assume, the max the telnet session buffer can hold); the second column are (seemingly) random 4 or 5 digit numbers

That looks OK then. You have 306 unread messages totalling about 107 MBytes! The figures in the second column for the LIST command are the lengths of each individual message in bytes.

The RETR command followed by a number will retrieve that message and print it. Does that work, i.e. RETR 1 ?

That looks OK then. You have 306 unread messages totalling about 107 MBytes! The figures in the second column for the LIST command are the lengths of each individual message in bytes.

The RETR command followed by a number will retrieve that message and print it. Does that work, i.e. RETR 1 ?

Yup RETR worked

Then BINGO! I went into my email account settings & changed the server timeout to 4.5 minutes (from 1 minute) and outlook started working again, albeit painfully slow to get going.

I am not sure if it receives real time email, or if I have to pull it using send/receive, but at least I am up & running (after a fashion).

It looks like the problem is on the eircom server ... not sure what I can do about that

• Advertisement

Yep, there's something odd about that 60 second pause at the beginning. BTW I tried it tethering to my phone, also on Vodafone, and it worked perfectly with no delay.

If you try to look up your current IP using nslookup in a CMD prompt what happens?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭swoofer

I checked who is my ip and it worked ok for that ip. And have you tried logging in using the eircom webmail facility. You might have a full inbox.

And have you any other email addresses that are working? I have seen this problem with eircom mail in lots of postings. You could check sky as well as they may have a ban on using other email clients that are web based.

OK, should have said above that you should use eircom's DNS servers in the nslookup, i.e : 213.94.190.194 or 213.94.190.236 as eircom's mail servers should be using their own DNS.

If I do that here your original IP gives a timeout after 2 sec (standard value for nslookup) whereas using UPC or Google gives an immediate error. Maybe that's the difference, i.e. the mail server is doing the lookup but with a 60 second timeout instead and it's that that's upsetting Outlook.

@Swoofer - I have two separate eircom email accounts (my own & my wife's) and they both have the same issue (that only started occurring a week ago), so I dont think its down to an oversized inbox. I have checked both via the web too. Also as I had the same issue using a tethered phone (i.e. not with Sky BB) I doubt it is Sky blocking it (unless they somehow link the fact I am using Sky for outgoing email and Eircom for incoming ... :S)

@Alun

Tried the nslookup - wasnt sure which order to put my IP and the Eircom server IP, so tried both, but with the same results :-

DNS Request timed out.
    Timeout was 2 seconds
    Server : unknown
    Address : 213.94.190.236

(With my IP replacing the eircom IP when I swapped the order)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Have you tried using mail1.eircom.net instead of webmail.eircom.net?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Have you tried using mail1.eircom.net instead of webmail.eircom.net?

Just about to say this, mail1.eircom.net is the incoming server, webmail is the outgoing one.

According to eircom (http://support.eircom.net/article/e-mail-settings) :-

Mail server type: POP3
    Incoming mail server: webmail.eircom.net
    Outgoing mail server*: mail1.eircom.net

Nevertheless I tried mail1, and get identical results

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Having the same issue with all my eircom address for a little over a week now.

It's hit and miss with me, sometimes it works & others it gives this guff.....

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Just about to say this, mail1.eircom.net is the incoming server, webmail is the outgoing one.
    No it isn't, it's the other way around.

You can also use the much more logical smtp.eircom.net for the outgoing server, they both resolve to the same IP address.

• Advertisement

Tried the nslookup - wasnt sure which order to put my IP and the Eircom server IP, so tried both, but with the same results :-

DNS Request timed out.
    Timeout was 2 seconds
    Server : unknown
    Address : 213.94.190.236

(With my IP replacing the eircom IP when I swapped the order)
    You need to set eircom's DNS to be used for DNS lookups within nslookup. Just enter nslookup /? to get a brief summary of the command line options, but to look up a host using a specific DNS server other than your default one it's ...

nslookup host server

Try using 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) for the server field, you should get a different result, i.e. an immediate failure rather than a timeout.

Advertisement