Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016

Options
  • 18-12-2014 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like the date has been set (providing nothing happens between now and then)
    April 9th 2016, a Saturday

So no quips about not giving the people the opportunity to vote cos they are at college etc.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1218/667698-election-politics/
    Fine Gael TDs have been told the Government intends holding the next general election on Saturday 9 April 2016.

One TD confirmed that the Taoiseach informed the Parliamentary Party of this some time ago.

"He said put that date in your diary," the TD said.

The Government will have to run its full term for the election to be held on that date and would see the Coalition remain in office during the 1916 Centenary celebrations.

The Government has to call an election within 25 days of the fifth anniversary of the first sitting of the 31st Dáil on 9 March 2011.

This excludes St Patrick's Day, bank holidays and Sundays.

Easter Sunday in 2016 will fall on 27 March, the day the Government intends to commemorate the 1916 Rising.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Cant believe the Government will last that length

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

I'd be shocked if they were still in power by then....but then again, this is Ireland - the land of apathy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

Why wouldn't they ? What is the alternative ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Can't see why they'd want to go earlier, and they do still have a large majority, so the ball is in their court.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Should make the Easter rising celebrations interesting. Everyone will be trying to jostle for position in the "Ireland's got nationalism" competition.

Obviously FG want to be the party to lead the celebrations, but I wonder if SF will capitalise best on the nationalist sentiment that will be left over.

• Advertisement

marienbad wrote: »
    Why wouldn't they ? What is the alternative ?

Good Question. Anything can happen. I believe there is a Scandal on the way from the past , the last government. Something to do with a previous minister not in Dublin. I believe the story will come to the fore in the next month I am told.

This will discredit an alternative governmet to the current one. It is designed to stop anyone forming a government with Sinn Fein. That would br the right time to call an election. Six weeks from then.

I didnt say I wanted it or liked it ....its just the way it could happen.

Lets remember the old addage, A week is long time in politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

There is no reason for them not to stay together, the polls won't get any worse, they have every chance of getting better as the economy picks up next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Blue Magic

One thing that is certain is we'll have a hung dail after next year's election. Furthermore, by current look of polls, FF & FG - the only natural looking coalition - will most likely not have the numbers...

I can see 1 of three governments:

1) FF/FG/Independents (I.e. likes of Shane Ross, Mattie McGrath, Stephen Donnelly,etc. - Not Mick Wallace!!!);

2) SF/Labour/ULA + independents (if needed) Couldn't see this last half a term though so least likely;

3) FF/SF/Independents. Slightly signs from time to time of solidarity in opposition, e.g. with whole Sean Barrett debacle... Would be a huge for SF into future though considering their core electorate so can't see them being inclined to opt for it...

To me, the next dail won't last full term barring a substantial growth of both FF & FG support in polls...

* As a footnote, I haven't really considered the Greens or Lucinda's party (whatever they'll be called). Between them they may collect 3/4/5 seats...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Tedddy

Isn't it more likely the election will be held on the Friday?

I wonder how many "peaceful" protesters will step up to the plate and let the people decide who is right or wrong?

• Advertisement

Tedddy wrote: »
    Isn't it more likely the election will be held on the Friday?

Not necessarily. In the past the Government wanted a conservative vote they wanted to exclude the students at college and the country workers in the cities they held it Mid Week.

I am imagining they will want an older Anti Sinn Fein vote so it maybe held mid week. To be honest looking at my elderly parents at home, if it was held on Christmas day in the middle of a Blizzard they would want to get out and vote to get any other party in but the current ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭lanos

lanos wrote: »

I remember Ivan Yates (Bookie/Fmr Minister of Agriculture/Junior Minister of Finance) on Late night TV years ago. Bertie was facing a minority government... Ivan Yates siad any future Government would be a coalition of Labour with either FF/FG. That was fine and common sense and we all rushed to the bookies. Bertie was asked for too much by labour. So He went with the cheaper shopping list of Green Party with all the independents except one or two.

I would be looking at Fianna Fail with many many independets but not lead by Michael Martin. I see the FG vote being taken by FF and independents and the Labour Vote being taken by SF and independents... People are so disillusioned with Politics that the whole system will be completely unpredictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I remember Ivan Yates (Bookie/Fmr Minister of Agriculture/Junior Minister of Finance) on Late night TV years ago. Bertie was facing a minority government... Ivan Yates siad any future Government would be a coalition of Labour with either FF/FG. That was fine and common sense and we all rushed to the bookies. Bertie was asked for too much by labour. So He went with the cheaper shopping list of Green Party with all the independents except one or two.

I would be looking at Fianna Fail with many many independets but not lead by Michael Martin. I see the FG vote being taken by FF and independents and the Labour Vote being taken by SF and independents... People are so disillusioned with Politics that the whole system will be completely unpredictable.

Yes that was in 07.
    In the run up to the election I remember hearing Yeats on a radio show that one of the shortest priced bets about the election was that Pat Rabbite (then Lab. leader) would be Tainaiste (sp).

The assumption being that either FF or FG would look to Labour to form a govt.

Of course Bertie did not and went with the Greens/PDs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I wonder how many "peaceful" protesters will step up to the plate and let the people decide who is right or wrong?

theres no requirement on protestors to stand for election to prove themselves nor connection between votes and being right

theres no requirement on protestors to stand for election to prove themselves nor connection between votes and being right

The voters are always right. This is a democracy.

In this country, the only group who have consistently maintained an opposing view that the voters are wrong is SF/IRA from the last 1960s onwards.

At the risk of being told I am dragging the thread off course.
    Every Main political party (FG,FF,Lab, SF) even Sinn Fein from the leadership support implementing a watercharge.
    The Grassroots are telling the leaderships that it is not acceptable. It is easy for Sinn Fein to say they have watercharges up north. Part of the last deal done by Ian Paisley was that they had unconditiona free water. Down here they say it will cost too much to revert it back to the Corporation/County Councils. I am guessing at the next election we are going to see Independents where we never saw them before.

I wouldnt say the voters are always right but I would say they have the right to choose who represent them. Remember a lot of negative opinions on the plastic bag sales tax and on the smoking Ban?

I am politically ambivalent but I can see across the spectrum these water charges wont fly

At the risk of being told I am dragging the thread off course.
    Every Main political party (FG,FF,Lab, SF) even Sinn Fein from the leadership support implementing a watercharge.
    The Grassroots are telling the leaderships that it is not acceptable. It is easy for Sinn Fein to say they have watercharges up north. Part of the last deal done by Ian Paisley was that they had unconditiona free water. Down here they say it will cost too much to revert it back to the Corporation/County Councils. I am guessing at the next election we are going to see Independents where we never saw them before.

I wouldnt say the voters are always right but I would say they have the right to choose who represent them. Remember a lot of negative opinions on the plastic bag sales tax and on the smoking Ban?

I am politically ambivalent but I can see across the spectrum these water charges wont fly

They have already been accepted just like the property tax and the smoking ban. Remember the smoking ban ? We were told there would be massive disobedience making it impossible to enforce , not a bit of it .

They have already been accepted just like the property tax and the smoking ban. Remember the smoking ban ? We were told there would be massive disobedience making it impossible to enforce , not a bit of it .

not the same thing at all. The property tax is a tax deducted at source. There is no choice. The Smoking ban was not a tax or Utility and we are all agreed it was done for our health. This is a utility bill, which we are being forced to pay. The Water charges are going to be sold to private interests.

not the same thing at all. The property tax is a tax deducted at source. There is no choice. The Smoking ban was not a tax or Utility and we are all agreed it was done for our health. This is a utility bill, which we are being forced to pay. The Water charges are going to be sold to private interests.

I understand the differences ,thank you , the point is that each of those measures we were told would never be accepted and they were.

What evidence is there that it will be sold to private interests ?

• Advertisement

The bit in bold is made up

Godge wrote: »
    The bit in bold is made up

Tell me why it couldnt happen? Those boys at Nestle are eyeing it up. go check their global record on it

Tell me why it couldnt happen? Those boys at Nestle are eyeing it up. go check their global record on it

How can you disprove a future event ?

How can you disprove a future event ?

I cant but why take a risk. If this Government sold the rights to wind, sea weed and gold, what makes you think they wouldnt sell Irish water? Hey we are using Irish water to pay the Anglo Irish Bond holders

I cant but why take a risk. If this Government sold the rights to wind, sea weed and gold, what makes you think they wouldnt sell Irish water? Hey we are using Irish water to pay the Anglo Irish Bond holders

So you have no evidence then ? Thought so .

No we are using the revenue to pay social welfare and public sector wages

So you have no evidence then ? Thought so .

No we are using the revenue to pay social welfare and public sector wages

No we are not ... other way around the tax payer is subsiddising Irish water it was on prime time the other night

No we are not ... other way around the tax payer is subsiddising Irish water it was on prime time the other night

Of course ,that is until they get a revenue stream, everyone understands this even if they don't agree with it, then it will become one less burden on the state to enable us to continue our high PS wages and SW bill.

And thus reduce the billions we are still borrowing to make ends meet.

Of course ,that is until they get a revenue stream, everyone understands this even if they don't agree with it, then it will become one less burden on the state to enable us to continue our high PS wages and SW bill.

And thus reduce the billions we are still borrowing to make ends meet.

Gimme a call when that revenue stream comes in. My elderly parents never missed a mortgage payment in their lives, never dodged tax or complained how taxpayers money was wasted, never blinked an eye at the property tax or the TV lisences..... but they have said enough is enough. This is a sign of the times. how about we put a 2% on corporate tax and tax the upper 3%.

Gimme a call when that revenue stream comes in. My elderly parents never missed a mortgage payment in their lives, never dodged tax or complained how taxpayers money was wasted, never blinked an eye at the property tax or the TV lisences..... but they have said enough is enough. This is a sign of the times. how about we put a 2% on corporate tax and tax the upper 3%.

We are already paying for water , this just means that the more you use the more you pay, just like electricity, internet, gas etc .

I paid all those charges also and I have no problem with it, we need more taxes like this , that is the best way to the upper 3% and also broaden the tax base .

By the way the upper 3 % already pay the lions share of tax

• Advertisement

We are already paying for water

Exactly so if you are paying for it 4 times over (Corporation tax, motor tax, USC, VAT hike) why would you pay for it the 5th time?

Advertisement