Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Lawrie

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭SevesThreeIron

I take it back - they came back to the coke issue later on in the interview. Apols Newstalk! Mad story.

On another point, it's interesting to hear him thanking McGinley for helping him get a few event invites. Lawrie arguably did McGinley an even bigger favour when on the committee that elected him RC captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,104 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Big day for him tomorrow, it's all relative but I think his early season form is up there with Shanes. Hopefully he hangs in there and stays near a T10 spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Dero123

He got an invite for next week as well I see. A healthy cheque tomorrow will make all the difference

He got an invite for next week as well I see. A healthy cheque tomorrow will make all the difference

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Panrich

PARlance wrote: »
    Big day for him tomorrow, it's all relative but I think his early season form is up there with Shanes. Hopefully he hangs in there and stays near a T10 spot.

Hopefully. He comes across as a really nice bloke who is living the dream but going through a crisis at present but hopefully coming out the other side. Steady golf so far this week and a few birdies tomorrow would be nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Dero123 wrote: »

Splendid. He's doing well on his invites.....just what sponsors want!

+2 thru 10 but scoring is high out there today so he has only slipped to T16 @ -1.

A couple of birdies coming home please

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

With the leaders not crowning themselves in glory, pity that Peter can't capitalize.

Seems to be difficult scoring out there. Be great if he could pick up a couple of birdies.

Got a birdie on 13 but only cancelled out a bogey on 12. Still T16

• Advertisement

Dropped another shot. They're all dropping shots - difficult out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Another bogey to +3, level par and T24th.

And another shot gone on 16. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,348 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Finished T31st in the end. Very disappointing finish to his tournament.

Picked up a handy 12000 and up to 62000 now for the season. Needs to keep going would imagine it will be harder to pick up invites come April / May time when the bigger events start coming around

Dero123 wrote: »
    Picked up a handy 12000 and up to 62000 now for the season. Needs to keep going would imagine it will be harder to pick up invites come April / May time when the bigger events start coming around

Yes, I'd expect so. One really good event would sort him.

Anthony Wall got the last tour card for this year with earnings of 235,000 so he is quarter of the way there. He is listed of having secured sponsor invites for next two events in South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I think he is OK for Wentworth.

First Up wrote: »

He has got an invite?

A repeat of 2012 there and all his worries will be gone. It marked Shane's turnaround last year, here's hoping it's the same for Peter.

First Up wrote: »

Now that would be good....as already posted, it was the making of Shane Lowry a couple of years ago.

Anyway, he has another chance this week in S Africa.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

He has now made more this season than he did in all of last season which is a good sign. If he can keep chipping away and making cuts when he gets the change especially in the bigger tournaments the money won't be long adding up. A couple of top 10's or a top 5 would go a long way as well.

Really enjoyed his honest and frank interview with the Newstalk guys last weekend, no sugar coating of things or living in the clouds. Really hope he has a good season.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

As long as he can keep the Fizzy Drink addiction in check he'll be grand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

As long as he can keep the coke addiction in check he'll be grand.

You might phrase this a little better in future so some don't get the wrong idea and think its a drug problem he has.

vienne86 wrote: »
    Now that would be good....as already posted, it was the making of Shane Lowry a couple of years ago.

Anyway, he has another chance this week in S Africa.

Doubt he will get into Wentworth he will probably find the invites harder to get come May time when the bigger European events start coming around. I do remember all them years ago John McHenry finishing second in the Irish Open in Druids Glen to secure a tour card on an invite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

pistol_75 wrote: »
    He has now made more this season than he did in all of last season which is a good sign. If he can keep chipping away and making cuts when he gets the change especially in the bigger tournaments the money won't be long adding up. A couple of top 10's or a top 5 would go a long way as well.

Really enjoyed his honest and frank interview with the Newstalk guys last weekend, no sugar coating of things or living in the clouds. Really hope he has a good season.

Nothing against the guy, but I found his whole comments about having to go back to Q school as a bit odd. He seemed to be complaining that the tour wasn't doing enough for tour players attending the tour school, lack of courtesy cars etc. There seemed to be a sense of entitlement that he should be looked after, which I can understand, but logically that would be at the expense of up and coming pros trying to make their way on to tour for the 1st time. If he thinks 54 holes of Q school is grinding on him, have a look at the fellas who have had to go through over 200 holes just to get that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

As long as he can keep the Fizzy Drink addiction in check he'll be grand.

Sounds almost as bad as Alan Partridge's Toblerone addiction. Glad to hear he's made a full recovery.

D Hayes wrote: »
    Sounds almost as bad as Alan Partridge's Toblerone addiction. Glad to hear he's made a full recovery.

Quite the opposite, he's addicted to coca cola and he tried to give up a while back, his game went to pot during his "recovery".
    So he's back on it again and all is good in the world :)

Never give up!

Nothing against the guy, but I found his whole comments about having to go back to Q school as a bit odd. He seemed to be complaining that the tour wasn't doing enough for tour players attending the tour school, lack of courtesy cars etc. There seemed to be a sense of entitlement that he should be looked after, which I can understand, but logically that would be at the expense of up and coming pros trying to make their way on to tour for the 1st time. If he thinks 54 holes of Q school is grinding on him, have a look at the fellas who have had to go through over 200 holes just to get that far.

I think the interview did reflect a little poorly in that sense but I think his point is completely valid about the tournament.
    Forgetting about the likes of Peter, the Tour should be putting on a bit of a show as a reward for all the guys that get there after playing 200 holes.
    It's the perfect place to give them a little taster, and for the guys that do qualify then it may stand to them next year when they go on tour.

It's sounds like a massive gulf at present and that shouldn't be the case imo.

It also wouldn't take much for the European Tour to get a sponsor on board and get it televised. It wouldn't take much... the prize money pot is small so put the sponsors money into getting it televised. It's potentially one of the most exciting and important days of the European Calendar and yet we have up and coming players throwing €4 into the trolly dispenser and fans refreshing the website for updated scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

3 birdies in a row to start his round.

• Advertisement

Five under after 16. Very nice start.

Advertisement