Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moderating in Radio.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

it can still leave a pretty sour taste in the mouth if I get banned for something and the post left up as an "example to others", while some other dude who the Mod took a liking to doesn't get banned for pretty much the same thing, the post is conveniently deleted so nobody else can see it and question why the treatment was different, then that other poster is happily posting away after the Moderator has taken action.
    That would leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth - but let's be clear on something: your described scenario is not the same as the situation in the OP. Boths posters received infractions and both posters had posts deleted.

We can all throw out hypothetical bad moderation scenarios but they are unhelpful at best and straw men at worst.

To answer your first question, I clearly stated my post represented my opinion and a first instinct. I believe mods should have discretion as I happen to be of the attitude that they can be trusted with it. If you belong to the "mods can never be trusted camp", then obviously you're going to see this as something to be abused, rather than a sensible tool to be used sparingly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Dades wrote: »
    That would leave a sour taste in anyone's mouth - but let's me clear on something: your described scenario is not the same as the situation in the OP. Boths poster received infractions and both posters has posts deleted.

We can all throw out hypothetical bad moderation scenarios but they are unhelpful at best and straw men at worst.

To answer your first question, I clearly stated my post represented my opinion and a first instinct. I believe mods should have discretion as I happen to be of the attitude that they can be trusted with it. If you belong to the "mods can never be trusted camp", then obviously you're going to see this as something to be abused, rather than a sensible tool to be used sparingly.

Why are selective posts deleted?
    Why is there a zero tolerance policy that's discretionary?

Gits_bone wrote: »
    Why are selective posts deleted?
    DR Forum. I'm not fobbing you off - but that is where disputes regarding individual instances of moderation go. You will get answers there.
    Why is there a zero tolerance policy that's discretionary?
    I've already offered my thoughts on the matter. But clearly it's open to debate.

Dades wrote: »
    DR Forum. I'm not fobbing you off - but that is where disputes regarding individual instances of moderation go. You will get answers there.

I've already offered my thoughts on the matter. But clearly it's open to debate.

You're not seeing where I'm coming from.

So what if my card gets rescinded? It's possible it can happen again. That's why I've raised this issue.

You're not seeing where I'm coming from.
    Likewise. Best to wait for fresh input at this point, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Saipanne wrote: »
    Spot on. The whole situation stinks, to be honest. Yet another case of wagon circling.

Mods can have different opinions, its allowed.

Tbh zero tolerance rules are annoying to implement as there can be different contexts, a more innocent post gets the same treatment as a more trollish post. That seems a tough sanction for maybe a throwaway, innocent comment.

And we all know everybody reads charters!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

K-9 wrote: »

Tbh zero tolerance rules are annoying to implement as there can be different contexts, a more innocent post gets the same treatment as a more trollish post. That seems a tough sanction for starting a thread.

I've never seen one of these threads end up with a mod criticising another mod for a job poorly done. Its always circle the wagons, no matter what. :-\

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I've never seen one of these threads end up with a mod criticising another mod for a job poorly done. Its always circle the wagons, no matter what. :-\

Has there been a lot of these threads since last May?

An File wrote: »
    Has there been a lot of these threads since last May?

That is several months.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Two things here from my POV as a CMod (& as a real life person)...

1. I would never (I hope) criticize a mod directly in public. I may do it in private. This is the way I deal with matters on boards & in real life. I see no reason to wash my (or someone else's) dirty laundry in public. If someone makes me aware of an issue I will look into it & try to resolve it for them with the mod concerned. However, I may not let them know the detail of how that may have been resolved.

2. Mods circling the wagons may be how it appears, but have you ever considered that sometimes others just don't get how things work around here? There've been 5 or 6 mods out of 600(?) who've posted in this thread. It is just a few mods offering their opinion on how they see the situation. The fact that we are largely on the same page is more of a reflection of our common understanding of how things work around here rather than a coordinated defence.

• Advertisement

Is there a system of infractions specific to mods? Is there a procedure for removing a mod after amassing, say, ten points or something? Or is it simply a qualitative judgement?

I'm aware I'm dragging slightly off topic here, though it does relate to this case, a little.

There's no system in place that I am aware of, but if a mod acts the mick & is noted to be upsetting the members it does get noticed & action is taken, including demodding.

K-9 wrote: »

Tbh zero tolerance rules are annoying to implement as there can be different contexts, a more innocent post gets the same treatment as a more trollish post. That seems a tough sanction for maybe a throwaway, innocent comment.

The zero tolerance policy was bolded in the OP of the Ray D'arcy thread.

Mods are spoken too if they don't hold to a higher standard of posting in other forums as well as their own, and removed if they don't take heed. A mod was removed last month in fact.

Two things here from my POV as a CMod (& as a real life person)...

1. I would never (I hope) criticize a mod directly in public. I may do it in private. This is the way I deal with matters on boards & in real life. I see no reason to wash my (or someone else's) dirty laundry in public. If someone makes me aware of an issue I will look into it & try to resolve it for them with the mod concerned. However, I may not let them know the detail of how that may have been resolved.

2. Mods circling the wagons may be how it appears, but have you ever considered that sometimes others just don't get how things work around here? There've been 5 or 6 mods out of 600(?) who've posted in this thread. It is just a few mods offering their opinion on how they see the situation. The fact that we are largely on the same page is more of a reflection of our common understanding of how things work around here rather than a coordinated defence.

I PM'd the mod in question. Got nowhere only a threat (between the lines) of another infraction/ban.

Are you suggesting the way it works is some users are favoured instead of treating them fairly by how they act?

Let's say I go to a boards beers, I get friendly with someone. Turns out to be a mod. Are you saying that the way it's done around here is that I would get a lighter treatment than someone who joined a month ago?

In my case the person who's post got deleted didn't like my defence of Ray D'arcy. Made a post that was a zero tolerance policy and deserved to get the punishment he should have been due.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Are you suggesting the way it works is some users are favoured instead of treating them fairly by how they act?

Let's say I go to a boards beers, I get friendly with someone. Turns out to be a mod. Are you saying that the way it's done around here is that I would get a lighter treatment than someone who joined a month ago?

I'm not sure how you read that into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

is this actually a wind-up now, or is it serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I PM'd the mod in question. Got nowhere only a threat (between the lines) of another infraction/ban.

In my case the person who's post got deleted didn't like my defence of Ray D'arcy. Made a post that was a zero tolerance policy and deserved to get the punishment he should have been due.

Actually a long term poster would be treated harsher IMO, as they are expected to know the forum better. A newbie would tend to be treated more leniently.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I'm not sure how you read that into it.

It's a case of one person treating the other differently because they are now friends. Not judging the posts but on your relationship with the poster.

I'm disappointed that no admin or mod has come in and given their own view that if there is a zero tolerance policy and someone breaks that policy then they deserve the punishment. Instead there's reasons why a mod did such a thing. It's black and white.

It is really annoying that one person gets treated differently than another because of a mod favours another poster.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

But he never mentioned anything about friends or relationships?

• Advertisement

But he never mentioned anything about friends or relationships?

There's a clear difference in treatment, one way or another, due to a dislike of my posts, a liking for the other persons posts, a way to make himself popular amongst the other posters of the thread or they know each other in real life.

weisses wrote: »
    Did you post this ?

If yes then you don't need his assistance to get you banned

if No

Then i Get your point

Several hours have passed and Harry still hasn't replied. I think that answers your question.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's a clear difference in treatment, one way or another, due to a dislike of my posts, a liking for the other persons posts, a way to make himself popular amongst the other posters of the thread or they know each other in real life.

Or it could be down to you being an absolute pain to put up with in Soccer, MMA and elsewhere beforehand.

Or it could be down to you being an absolute pain to put up with in Soccer, MMA and elsewhere beforehand.

Who are you?

Report my posts if you don't like them.

And because I say why Man Utd aren't doing well and that I don't like McGregor I'm a pain.

And btw I post in 37 forums.

Who are you?

I reported plenty of them when you were ruining the discussions about Conor McGregor and UFC Fight Night 59. You've just moved on to a new target since the mods there kicked you out, just as you turned on MMA after you got booted off the Soccer forum. It's artless.

I reported plenty of them when you were ruining the discussions about Conor McGregor and UFC Fight Night 59. You've just moved on to a new target since the mods there kicked you out, just as you turned on MMA after you got booted off the Soccer forum. It's artless.

Petty. Because I don't like McGregor you report my posts. Posted in MMA at same time as soccer and same time as radio thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Who are you?

And because I say why Man Utd aren't doing well and that I don't like McGregor I'm a pain.

And btw I post in 37 forums.

Looks like a lot of people already did in soccer, mma and now radio too. You registered, what, 4 months ago and have had all this happen to you since then and blame the mods on being biased?

You might need to actually read the charters in those 37 forums to see what it is you're doing wrong gits.

Difference in treatment will usually depend on the gravity of the infringement along with the number and frequency of previous infringements. You can't assume its down to some relationship between the mod and the poster.

Looks like a lot of people already did in soccer, mma and now radio too. You registered, what, 4 months ago and have had all this happen to you since then and blame the mods on being biased?

You might need to actually read the charters in those 37 forums to see what it is you're doing wrong gits.

I am not discussing bans in other forums, it's against rules. I have been notified of this by a poster in this thread. So I won't be replying to your posts.

Reading charters seems to be a pretty futile exercise seeing as mods don't actually moderate to it.

And once again this is about in general, not my case. Also perhaps I might not have been banned from MMA if other posters didn't keep commenting on how I was banned from soccer.

Not surprising to see mods stick together anyways. More than a few people have already commented their opinion on how this carry on shouldn't be tolerated.

• Advertisement

No, I am not saying any of that & have no idea how you managed to come to such a conclusion.

To be honest, you have been given good advice & clear explanations. That's the way it works. If you can't get it at this stage we will only end up going around in circles.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement