Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should boards have a hide forum filter?

Options
  • 02-02-2015 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭

Should/could a hide forum filter be added to boards?

I regularly refresh the boards homepage on my phone and scroll down only to see a lot of forums and topics that I would never click into, for example the cycling forum, religious fora etc.

What would the pros and con's be on disabling these from showing up so I get more content on 1 page of the stuff I may be interested in?

Any thoughts? I'm sure I am not the first to bring this up, maybe it can be done in the full site?

Johnny
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

I'd like that. The training log forum can get very spammy on the wall.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

On the touch site? Why not simply click on the "my forums" (or "my threads") tab?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Beasty wrote: »
    On the touch site? Why not simply click on the "my forums" (or "my threads") tab?

That would mean having to like all forums I may have an interest in rather than unliking all forums I will not have an interest in.

Also, the latest posts tab is the first one that pops up when you have boards saved as a bookmark, bow I know its easy to save the my forums page as the bookmark but that means I limit what I can see

I believe that if boards users have more topics in which they may be interested in showing up per page and not diluted by threads which they have no interest in, it will make the boards experience more enjoyable and also help stimulate more interactions on threads.

This is because they now won't get bogged down by 8-9 threads on the latest page from after hours(for example) but will see content they are genuinely interested in and so threads don't get pushed down in order.

Now I know this might sound like a big task for something which possibly only I have thought about so if anyone has any opinions I would love to hear them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

I think it would be a good idea. I use my forums for forums I have an active interest in but would like to be able to remove forums that I would have absolutely no interest in that I feel take up a lot of the front page.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

There are 1000+ forums - following the things you have an interest in and using My Forums is probably a lot more manageable from a sheer numbers pov.

We'll certainly consider it though, but it won't be a high priority item for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭SMJSF

sorry for dragging this up.

+1 to this idea.

I don't want to see random pregnancy/parenting or sports threads, they can somehow slip into the random threads like AH ... you should be at least be able to block out word titles at least (golf/pregnant/house-share/Oscars/etc!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'd love to see a 'hide this thread' option within forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

osarusan wrote: »
    I'd love to see a 'hide this thread' option within forums.

This would be good!!

Sick of seeing the same threads. That Dental Plan simpsons one springs to mind and that NAS one over in BA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I would love to be able to hide threads or forums. I have subscribed forums obviously but I do browse latest posts too coz it can be really interesting landing into random discussions. However it can be very dominated by after hours and certain long running very active threads

• Advertisement

Yep, i still think this would be a very welcome inclusion for the most part on Boards, but maybe the Boards team feel taking content away from users is counter productive?

but maybe the Boards team feel taking content away from users is counter productive?

Basically, yes :) It's unlikely we'll introduce this function, members discovering new stuff is pretty important to us :)

Your honesty is refreshing

Honesty is our default mode of operation, it has always been, I'm glad you appreciate it, but it should be the minimum you can expect from us :D

Advertisement