Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europe's second largest roller coaster for Co Meath!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Is it 404 metres high?

Or 404 miles long?

Or 404 something something.

Link not working dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Ooops, fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Im sure the publicans in government will love that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Wooden rollercoasters give me a headache.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭josip

Did anyone else notice on the same site Europe's second smallest swimming pool?
    (The URL is dodgy, hit back on the browser if it automatically redirects to another page it can't connect to)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,252 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

This is old news. The other story gave the height, and it was something like the second longest ride, but no where near the highest. About half the height of the highest roller coaster in europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Bag of crisps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Full permission given today for big extension to Tayto Park in Co Meath includes this...

http://balls.ie/news/tayto-parks-new-roller-coaster-will-be-huge/

:D

Looking at the link, I quickly read it as "balls will be huge".

Not sure why I clicked on the link though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Cienciano wrote: »
    The other story gave the height, and it was something like the second longest ride, but no where near the highest.

Highest and longest ride?

That would with Debra O'Neill when I was off my head on three yokes. Went for hours and just couldn't finish.

Damn drugs. :mad:

• Advertisement

Cienciano wrote: »
    This is old news. The other story gave the height, and it was something like the second longest ride, but no where near the highest. About half the height of the highest roller coaster in europe

Ah who cares. First proper roller coaster in Ireland.

Though I don't think they have great transport to the park do they? There is no train out there is there?

Which is strange and risky i'd have thunk if they are building all this stuff. Not only the roller coaster they are building AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭bjork

Ah, Taytopark!
    How are they getting on with the animal neglect cases?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

why are they making a wooden roller-coaster?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,520 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I heard that the owner has a specific interest in "traditional" styled roller-coasters..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

some people think the wooden ones are better

was never at tayto park, will have to go once this is up and running

hope they do well

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I know feck all about construction, but wouldn't a wooden one be more expensive because it would be much more difficult to actually construct?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Is a wooden roller-coaster more of a fire hazard?

Or maybe that's ok for Taytopark because it'll get burnt to a crisp!!!

:pac:

/yes, I'm still hear all week folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭corkchick88

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Is a wooden roller-coaster more of a fire hazard?

Or maybe that's ok for Taytopark because it'll get burnt to a crisp!!!

:pac:

/yes, I'm still hear all week folks!

Hahahaha that was truly awful!

If this roller coaster goes ahead it would be awesome! Ireland needs more things like this. I absolutely love theme parks. Wooden roller coasters are good fun as you get rattled around a lot more - but on the other hand most wooden ones that I have seen never have any loops in them.

It's being built. Pictures here

http://www.themeparks.ie/europe/tayto/index.htm

So.....who wants to test it first?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

This is great news for the tourism industry, but the cynic in me can't help telling me it'll have its ups and downs.

What's Tayto Park like, in terms of surrounding space?

I love rollercoasters. I love theme parks. Never been to Tayto Park.

I know the likes of Port Aventura in Spain are laughing as they have ridiculous amounts of land around them with nothing really on it, so they can constantly expand. I was always under the impression that Tayto Park was squashed in where it is?

What I'm getting at, is, is there room for more coasters and rides and a 'proper' theme park?

Seems to be. I have never been to it either. AFAIK atm it's aimed at kids. They say they are adding 7 new big attractions for next summer - the roller coaster is only one I think.

I was looking at the map on this document and the extent of the expansion is quite impressive. Big gamble though. They are spending something like €26m before this summer. Can Ireland sustain a genuine theme park?

http://www.environ.ie/en/DevelopmentHousing/PlanningDevelopment/Planning/PublicConsultations/Submissions-DevelopmentMgmtGuidelines/PreliminaryConsultationSubmissions/FileDownLoad,37641,en.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

When I saw the "aimed at kids part" my interest was gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

My only concern is that Irish builders don't exactly have a good reputation for building good structures, I hope no one from the boom days are involved or trying to build on the cheap. You seen the state of some of the houses and apartments that have been built. You don't cut corners while building roller coasters.

My only concern is that Irish builders don't exactly have a good reputation for building good structures, I hope no one from the boom days are involved or trying to build on the cheap. You seen the state of some of the houses and apartments that have been built. You don't cut corners while building roller coasters.

You can test it first, just to make sure it's safe;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Structural Engineers & the rollercoaster design company will be calling the shots on this project. I would be very surprised if it was a local company doing any of the important work.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

The coaster is being designed and built by a well known American company that specialize in this. The fact that it is made from wood is actually a hugely positive aspect of this apparently.

Its being discussed on various forums in the UK and US. I never knew that there were rollercoaster enthusiasts, but there are and they are salivating over the Tayto Park development.

mikeym wrote: »
    When I saw the "aimed at kids part" my interest was gone.

I have never been there so I don't know. I always assumed it was. On second thoughts though maybe not only for kids...

I'd say they are building stuff to appeal to other age profiles to get more visitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I'm a huge fan of a good rollercoaster. Not the type of chap who would base his holiday based on the proximity of the nearest theme park, but if there is one in the area then I'm there. The adrenaline release is the type of thing you experience after taking running a 10k or tackling a new skiing run. It's phenomenal. Looking forward to visiting this once it's built.

Advertisement