Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staffie dog hogtied and cooked alive over a fire at The Curragh

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭CaptainInsano

K4t wrote: »
    No, force them to undergo a full psychological assessment and give them counselling. And fine them.

Simple minded is sending a person to prison for life for physical abuse of an animal.

Roasting a dog alive genuinely equates to swatting a fly in your eyes?

I feel sorry for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Terrlock

percy212 wrote: »
    Jesus. The bastards.

Nothing to do with Jesus

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Deluded Oreo

I wonder if the culprit or culprits was/is part of certain "troublesome community"

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

There's emotions getting the better of people here There is a difference between killing people and killing animals. And while I get that animals are special to a lot of people, especially dogs, you can't honestly say it's the same as taking the life of a human being. You can't.

Perpetrators deserve jail time or a trip to a Mental Hospital. Lifed
    off though? Not a chance. Knee jerk stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,275 ✭✭✭✭fits

Omackeral wrote: »
    There's emotions getting the better of people here There is a difference between killing people and killing animals. And while I get that animals are special to a lot of people, especially dogs, you can't honestly say it's the same as taking the life of a human being. You can't.

There is an extremely high correlation between animal abuse and violence and abuse against other humans. That's why its worrying.
    That said, I don't think the journal is particularly credible when it comes to animal cruelty stories. Facts are secondary to emotional responses. I have noticed that with a few stories now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

Totally disagree. All person beliefs aside about killing animals, as many people have pointed out this was a safistic attack and serial killers are known to target animals first. IMO I wouldn't be suprised if it will matter in a few years who the person is hurting as ling as it's something alive. Animal or human.

I doubt counselling would even work on someone this far gone IMO. They are beyond the point of contemplation. It's hard to stop when you've already started.

My own personal opinion? I would save my dog over everybody except a handful of people, myself not included. And if anybody hurt her they would feel the full extent of my boots in their face. Without hesitation.

And while I get that animals are special to a lot of people, especially dogs, you can't honestly say it's the same as taking the life of a human being. You can't.

There's a lot of variables there. I wouldn't place every single human above every single animal. My dogs live a peaceful life and bring joy to a lot of people. Can't say that for the entire human population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

I don't know what's more disturbing what happened to the dog or that a lot of posters are saying they would value the life of a dog more than most humans. Do people still openly preach violence against cats in after hours ? i have been away for a few years it used to be acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

You are absolutely right, there is a difference. But in this case ,I can honestly say that i would value that dog's life over the absolute scum that did this.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭coopdog85

These types of stories affect me more than if it was a human who was hogtied over a fire. I don't know what is wrong with me but the thoughts of someone hurting/torturing a poor dumb animal just sicken me more than if I heard it happened to a human. I suppose its because animals are so defenseless.

I kicked my dog once & the poor little chap is dead since but I still feel guilty over it, I had him 11 years & in those 11 years of loving him & doing anything possible for him I still beat myself up over kicking him up the arse for getting sick on my thesis. It actually disturbs me to think that someone went to the trouble of planning this & then went & carried it out. Unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

No matter what the age of the perpetrator is, he/she deserves to be punished. Be it imprisonment, community service or a fine, I dont know. But there should be an animal offenders list as there is a sex offenders list due to the direct link from animal cruelty to violence against humans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

**** me, that's a horrific act.

But as regards punishment, it's hard to call. Where do you draw the line? Cruelty to dogs, sure, everyone loves dogs, but what if it was a cat? A rabbit? A bag of hamsters? What about spiders? If that was a box of these guys?

Does that still warrant the life sentence some people are baying for?

How about finding out who it was, and their reasons for doing it? Then maybe decide on a punishment?

**** me, that's a horrific act.

But as regards punishment, it's hard to call. Where do you draw the line? Cruelty to dogs, sure, everyone loves dogs, but what if it was a cat? A rabbit? A bag of hamsters? What about spiders? If that was a box of these guys?

Does that still warrant the life sentence some people are baying for?

How about finding out who it was, and their reasons for doing it? Then maybe decide on a punishment?

Again with the comparisons to other animals. You're trying to reason that there comes a point when it's excusable to be a sadistic cnut, so may as well broaden the whole spectrum to all species?
    You can't form a mutual emotional relationship with insects like you can with the other animals you mentioned, dogs and cats especially.
    Having said that, if I met anyone torturing insects for the craic of it, I wouldn't ever associate with them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

C'mon, that's honestly not even enough when you think about it. The kind of person capable of doing something like this is beyond help and should just be put down altogether.

Indeed

A full force swing of a sledgehammer between the eyes would suffice in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

He was still trying to lick your hand – that’s the awful sad part, he’d forgive you, you know, it’s just very sad.

Ah jesus, that would bring tears to your eyes.

It's sadistic and whoever did this needs to be found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Sick f*cking Scum who deserve to have their balls chopped off.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

Reading the article last night made me so angry that I would gladly stone to death the fcuker who did it. But I'm also sad knowing that a life that held so much promise at birth was cruelly wasted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Roasting a dog alive genuinely equates to swatting a fly in your eyes?

I feel sorry for you.

Whats simple minded about that?If it was a person that he had hog tied and roasted alive would you want him locked up?

Animals feel pain just like humans do.If tough sentencing can prevent cruelty to them then its what should be done.

Im not a tree hugger type, but mindless cruelty like that is inexcusable.
    Hold on, so according to both of you and others, the life of a dog is more valuable than that of the lamb or a chicken or a pig or a fly or a spider (many of which we kill, torture and eat everyday) but you want similar punishments for abuse and torture of dogs as there are for humans? You are equating a dog's life to that of a human and therefore implying that all human life is not equal at the same time.

All animals are equal but some are more equal than others?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Why people would have such ugly, ugly dogs is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

In the future scumbags like that will be psychologically evaluated at a very young age to determine their likelihood of committing such atrocities and if found to be suspect will be put into a brain dead state and then hooked up as an energy source for a computer or some such - at least that would give them some purpose, whereas at the moment they are nothing but an extreme liability on humanity and every other species on the planet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Reoil wrote: »

I think they're gorgeous! I would love one.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

Reoil wrote: »

The person thing who did this is the ugly one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

brought a tear to my eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

Hold on, so according to both of you and others, the life of a dog is more valuable than that of the lamb or a chicken or a pig or a fly or a spider (many of which we kill, torture and eat everyday) but you want similar punishments for abuse and torture of dogs as there are for humans? You are equating a dog's life to that of a human and therefore implying that all human life is not equal at the same time.

Who tortures lambs, chickens and pigs everyday? If you know of someone torturing animals everyday you surely have a duty to report it to the authorities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Finally!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

conorh91 wrote: »
    It's horrible if it's true.

The dog was certainly tied up, but do we really know this is the unusual punishment that was inflicted on him? Is it possible he was tied up and dumped near a fire? That he passed out with hypothermia? His injuries don't look nearly serious enough to actually have been hogroasted. There seems to be very little burned hair on the sides. Even if he were tied up, he would be able to trash and wrestle, why did so much of his skin avoid burns?

Something about this story doesn't seem right. The Journal are basing everything on the account of a volunteer, the Vet's opinion is coming to us third-hand.

Yeah, sounds like guessing to me. Good for traffic though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

In the future scumbags like that will be psychologically evaluated at a very young age to determine their likelihood of committing such atrocities and if found to be suspect will be put into a brain dead state and then hooked up as an energy source for a computer or some such - at least that would give them some purpose, whereas at the moment they are nothing but an extreme liability on humanity and every other species on the planet.
    You are in far greater need of a psychological evaluation if you truly believe that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

The Th!ng wrote: »
    The person thing who did this is the ugly one.

Sorry, this is an aside, but read your post and thought:

confession?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Well it was in animal farm and look what happened there
    Poor oul boxer :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

Poor dog :( there are some sick people in this world.

Advertisement