Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abortion Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Anybody watching Spiral, the rather entertaining French crime series, currently showing on BBC4 on Saturday nights?

The main female cop is pregnant and does not want to be. However as she is past 15 weeks gestation she cannot avail of an abortion in France. Her solution? 'Do what everyone else does' and go to Holland.

Probably unsurprising but interesting that we are not the only country to cynically export our 'problem' abortion issues.

I take your point, but I think there is a huge difference between Ireland, where a woman must be literally dying before she is allowed an abortion, and a country having any time limits at all, even though that will always leave some women who find themselves outside it.

And let's remember it's a fiction - I mean how likely is it that a woman will go to A&E for unexpected bleeding when she hasn't had a period for 15 weeks? Wouldn't she just assume it was her period? She hardly thought she was through the menopause, did she? That was I was thinking anyway, watching it! So really all the dialogue around that, while interesting, is to be taken with a pinch of salt, IMO.

Shrap wrote: »
    Yeah, great tv drama! The acting is superb. I loved it when her ex (that she works with) found out she was pregnant and kept banging on about it being "a gift" and 5 mins later in the same episode, another male team member was getting slagged off for being an exhausted Dad. They're bang on target on that show. Missed it last Sat actually, ta for the reminder.

Hang on, did I miss something there - I thought her ex was talking about the grass they had stolen on them, and actually didn't have a clue that she was pregnant?

Or do you mean someone else said that?
    Her partner, Gilou? I know the doctor in the hospital told her most women her age would consider it a gift,
    but I don't remember which of the other characters said it?

I do agree about Tintin being a useful counter foil to her dilemma though, absolutely.

Great drama, I love it.

(And if you missed Saturday, you really missed a major major event. You need to download it ASAP!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

volchitsa wrote: »
    Hang on, did I miss something there - I thought her ex was talking about the grass they had stolen on them, and actually didn't have a clue that she was pregnant?

Or do you mean someone else said that? Her partner, Gilou? I know the doctor in the hospital told her most women her age would consider it a gift, but I don't remember which of the other characters said it?

I do agree about Tintin being a useful counter foil to her dilemma though, absolutely.

Great drama, I love it.

(And if you missed Saturday, you really missed a major major event. You need to download it ASAP!!!)

Oh yeah, it was Gilou, but I think he's another ex isn't he? Yeah, the ex in this program is the one she's not talking to. I remember now!

Oh feck! Ok :eek:

Oh yeah, it was Gilou, but I think he's another ex isn't he? Yeah, the ex in this program is the one she's not talking to. I remember now!
    Yeah, Gilou even offered to help her bring up the kid, that was a really great scene - partly because she knocked the suggestion so firmly on the head!

(Is he an ex? I only discovered Spiral about 2 and a half series ago, and never saw more than bits of the previous ones. They weren't an item for as long as I've been watching, though it looked to me at one point that Gilou was attracted to her but didn't act on it. But maybe they had a fling before that?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I saw that, but I'm not very familiar with the show, in general. Have only seen two episodes of the first season and missed some of the current one. I didn't
    catch the bit about the Netherlands. When did that come into it? I know there was a scene where she was talking to doctor (pathologist?) about a 'friend' and he started talking about the size of the fetus at this point in the pregnancy.

Oh feck! Ok :eek:

Definitely before watching next Saturday's if possible. It was at the end of the second epi if you're short of time and have to choose. But both are definitely worth watching.

Yeah, Gilou even offered to help her bring up the kid, that was a really great scene - partly because she knocked the suggestion so firmly on the head!
    Yeah, she gave him short shrift!
    (Is he an ex? I only discovered Spiral about 2 and a half series ago, and never saw more than bits of the previous ones. They weren't an item for as long as I've been watching, though it looked to me at one point that Gilou was attracted to her but didn't act on it. But maybe they had a fling before that?)

I haven't watched the previous series (which is why I don't know the names yet!) - was at my Dad's when this series started and got hooked. He mentioned that he thought Gilou was an ex as well, or at least a previous encounter.

We need someone who has watched it from the beginning then! :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057359252
    here's the thread, maybe we should ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I take your point, but I think there is a huge difference between Ireland, where a woman must be literally dying before she is allowed an abortion, and a country having any time limits at all, even though that will always leave some women who find themselves outside it.

And let's remember it's a fiction - I mean how likely is it that a woman will go to A&E for unexpected bleeding when she hasn't had a period for 15 weeks? Wouldn't she just assume it was her period? She hardly thought she was through the menopause, did she? That was I was thinking anyway, watching it! So really all the dialogue around that, while interesting, is to be taken with a pinch of salt, IMO.

Oh absolutely, 'I'm sorry, you're too late you'll have to go elsewhere' would be far more preferable to hear than 'This might seriously and permanently harm you but it won't kill you so you'll have to go elsewhere.'

I'm sure there is a lot of dramatic licence in play
    (to engineer a situation where she ends up wanting to keep the baby I suspect)
    but I assume the 15 week issue is based in fact.

• Advertisement

Oh absolutely, 'I'm sorry, you're too late you'll have to go elsewhere' would be far more preferable to hear than 'This might seriously and permanently harm you but it won't kill you so you'll have to go elsewhere.'

I'm sure there is a lot of dramatic licence in play (to engineer a situation where she ends up wanting to keep the baby I suspect) but I assume the 15 week issue is based in fact.

I believe France, like a number of countries, has two definitions of abortion, with different rules of access etc, including time limits. One is abortion on request (something the UK doesn't have theoretically at least) and the other is for medical reasons. Presumably she was too late for the first of those.

I didn't catch the bit about the Netherlands. When did that come into it? I know there was a scene where she was talking to doctor (pathologist?) about a 'friend' and he started talking about the size of the fetus at this point in the pregnancy.

I think the week before last (episodes 3 & 4?)
    had her booking the appointment, discussing it with Gilou and even going so far as getting on the train heading for Holland (before being called back to do some important policing).
    This week you had the scene with
    the pathologist and a couple of conversations with colleagues that showed her beginning to have doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Ah guys!! SPOILERS FFS!! We don't expect to see the plot of a show being discussed on this thread and weren't expecting it :(

Sorry 2ndrow gal. I added a spoiler thing just now, but yes, you're right we should have been more careful.

Apols!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Thanks volchitsa! :D

I just had a conversation with a lady whose daughter gave birth quite recently after being in the most horrendous pain for 6 weeks - couldn't sit down, couldn't lie down, couldn't sleep, could barely eat, couldn't be given x, y or z drugs because of the "baby", couldn't be delivered early because of the "baby", and so much more that I couldn't go into here. The now granny is seriously considering making a complaint to the hospital but said that she knows from talking to the doctors that it was all about the needs of the "baby" not the mother.

Happened in a hospital that should be more circumspect based on recent history too!

Just another incubator situation.

Now just to clarify, the mother didn't want an abortion, but she did want an early delivery because of serious health issues that she herself was experiencing. No dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

That's unfortunately a common experience. And the law here doesn't care about a woman's health when she's pregnant, only her life. Unless your life is under threat, you just have to put up with it. There's zero balance of rights if its 'only' your health that is under risk.

I just had a conversation with a lady whose daughter gave birth quite recently after being in the most horrendous pain for 6 weeks - couldn't sit down, couldn't lie down, couldn't sleep, could barely eat, couldn't be given x, y or z drugs because of the "baby", couldn't be delivered early because of the "baby", and so much more that I couldn't go into here. The now granny is seriously considering making a complaint to the hospital but said that she knows from talking to the doctors that it was all about the needs of the "baby" not the mother.

Happened in a hospital that should be more circumspect based on recent history too!

Now just to clarify, the mother didn't want an abortion, but she did want an early delivery because of serious health issues that she herself was experiencing. No dice.
    That's exactly the sort of thing that needs to be brought to people's attention, 2ndrowgirl. In the UK, the woman is the patient, and has the final say in her health care. In Ireland, the fact is that we know that isn't the case.

I think many people just presume (hope?) there's no difference in how they'll be treated in Ireland compared to other countries until they find themselves on the wrong end of the legal situation. I remember reading about Praveen Halapannavar, who said that of course they knew there was no abortion in Ireland - but that they had never thought that could apply to them, because they believed it was about women who didn't want a baby, rather than women whose health was affected by a pregnancy.

But of course when it happens it's too late for the woman concerned. Which is why it's all the more crucial for people to speak out about these things even when, as in this case, it doesn't end in tragedy - luckily for the woman concerned. But IMO women need to start asking difficult questions before they find themselves in a vulnerable situation, depending on the hospital to make the right decisions for them. It may make it less likely that doctors will just presume they are entitled to ignore the woman as though she were too stupid to know what is being done to her.

This is the case with women who are facing a fatal foetal abnormality diagnosis. They often think they will be able to terminate the pregnancy, and are then horrified that a law their parents may have voted in favour of in 1983 now means they have to continue the pregnancy or travel abroad. Even my own mother didn't believe me when I told her how restrictive the law still is here, until the recent case on the clinically dead pregnant women. Until the eighth amendment is gone, women will be treated like this.

Ah guys!! SPOILERS FFS!! We don't expect to see the plot of a show being discussed on this thread and weren't expecting it :(
    Oh crap! Really sorry! Just watched Saturday's episodes now - Wow. You should watch this. Fantastic.

Poor woman. Genuinely hope the now granny (thankfully all safe, but she must have been bricking it in respect of the cases that are coming to light more now) has a bit of capital behind her so she can bring it further if necessary.

Unfortunately, that's what these cases will take. Every SINGLE time I hear about the "baby" being put before the mother's health, I remember the first time my mother (English, gave birth to me here) told me that if there had been a complication, the doctors would have saved me and let her die. I was horrified (as you would be - she sometimes told me inappropriate for age things) but I'm still horrified. That was in 1972.

Add to this scenario that I was born a few days after Bloody Sunday, my mother was English and she was ignored from admission until delivery, the chances that my mum wouldn't have made it under a complicated delivery were high. I'm not saying things haven't changed, but by fcuk they haven't changed enough. Are we still in the "baby comes first" age? What is so different actually about "nationality comes first"? Essentially, the Irish state would still rather let a grown woman die than the baby she's birthing.

Not bitter at all, me. NOooo. Not me :mad:

Oh crap! Really sorry! Just watched Saturday's episodes now - Wow. You should watch this. Fantastic.

Poor woman. Genuinely hope the now granny (thankfully all safe, but she must have been bricking it in respect of the cases that are coming to light more now) has a bit of capital behind her so she can bring it further if necessary.

Unfortunately, that's what these cases will take. Every SINGLE time I hear about the "baby" being put before the mother's health, I remember the first time my mother (English, gave birth to me here) told me that if there had been a complication, the doctors would have saved me and let her die. I was horrified (as you would be - she sometimes told me inappropriate for age things) but I'm still horrified. That was in 1972.

Add to this scenario that I was born a few days after Bloody Sunday, my mother was English and she was ignored from admission until delivery, the chances that my mum wouldn't have made it under a complicated delivery were high. I'm not saying things haven't changed, but by fcuk they haven't changed enough. Are we still in the "baby comes first" age? What is so different actually about "nationality comes first"? Essentially, the Irish state would still rather let a grown woman die than the baby she's birthing.

Not bitter at all, me. NOooo. Not me :mad:

I remember my dad saying if there had ever been a complication when one of us was being born he would have insisted they save my mother. I was a teenager at the time, so not exactly age inappropriate - still, I remember being a bit shocked, but I now realize he was exactly right.

He said he couldn't have left the rest of us without a mother (I'm the eldest) no matter how sad he'd have been about the baby. She agreed, by the way. For the same reason, because her existing children needed their mother.

But I think it was quite brave of him to be so ready to take on that responsibility, rather than make my mother be the one to "choose" to save her own life.

(PS I put a link earlier to the thread about Spiral if you're interested)

• Advertisement

Actually, just out of interest and given my post above, I wonder can any of you ..em..."pro-life" fellas imagine what it must be like as a girl growing up knowing this, and going on to have children in our country?

Of course, the answer is that you can't, but if you're not kidding yourselves beyond the realms of possibility then you must be able to imagine the fear and the disgust at the potential choices the realms of the state will take over you. There are girls growing up now who will become mothers one day. They will look back and remember that the possibility remains that their dead bodies could be desecrated for their baby in this country.

Think on that.

I remember my dad saying if there had ever been a complication when one of us was being born he would have insisted they save my mother. I was a teenager at the time, so not exactly age inappropriate - still, I remember being a bit shocked, but I now realize he was exactly right.

I'm not sure he'd have had that choice. After all, the mother doesn't get the choice, like in Secondrowgal's example of an everyday occurrence in Ireland NOW. The doctors get to choose (poor basta*ds).

(PS I put a link earlier to the thread about Spiral if you're interested)

Cheers, spotted it! Will join in now that I'm up to date.

This was Northern Ireland, and anyway pre 1983. Not sure what the situation would actually have been, in reality. This is the point isn't it, we have allowed ourselves to be soothed into believing that doctors know best, when in fact doctors have handed their decision-making authority over to the priests - who definitely don't. But believe they do, which is the worst of all possible combinations!

Sorry :o

So let's break this down a bit into how it relates to 2015.

Secondrowgal, you have a fairly typical example of a woman who asked for an early delivery (thinking of the best case scenario for herself and her baby combined presumably, since she is an adult woman knowing her own mind and wanting a safe delivery for her child) because she could not start pain treatment otherwise.

At what point does the mother get to choose - "I can't take this pain any more, even at the expense of the baby"?. We don't get that choice. Doctors are bound by the constitutional imperative to protect the unborn's life, but to what extent? In this country "As far as is practicable" is to the extent that severe painkilling/cancer treating drugs be not given to the mother.

At what point does the mother get to choose to start cancer treating drugs at the expense of the baby? At no point. To my knowledge.

Please, oh please correct me if I'm wrong. This is, after all, what our daughters are growing up knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Actually, just out of interest and given my post above, I wonder can any of you ..em..."pro-life" fellas imagine what it must be like as a girl growing up knowing this, and going on to have children in our country?

Of course, the answer is that you can't, but if you're not kidding yourselves beyond the realms of possibility then you must be able to imagine the fear and the disgust at the potential choices the realms of the state will take over you. There are girls growing up now who will become mothers one day. They will look back and remember that the possibility remains that their dead bodies could be desecrated for their baby in this country.

Think on that.

I'd imagine that outside of a psychopathic minority, if pro-lifers were able to empathise with girls/women fearing an unwanted pregnancy, they wouldn't be pro-life at all.

I'd imagine that outside of a psychopathic minority, if pro-lifers were able to empathise with girls/women fearing an unwanted pregnancy, they wouldn't be pro-life at all.

Not at this stage, you'd hope. Came as a big fecking life endangering shock to Ms.Y, and a life ENDING shock to Savita.

Our Irish girls will be well schooled in the fear before they ever become pregnant. Mark my words. I was.

Some women are being treated for cancer while pregnant.

In my experience, your choices can often boil down be being a) in certain hospitals and b) able to go private. This is purely my anecdotal experience, but if we have another I will beg, borrow and steal to go private under my preferred consultant. I felt I had a lot more choice about having a second c section, which I wanted, and I chose the day to have by baby. Circumstances altered this plan, but in the end I got the birth I wanted.

There are other hospitals I wouldn't want to be treated in and certain doctors in the hospital I'd return to that I will request not to be treated by if I am pregnant again. I started a thread in the pregnancy forum on anomaly scans because I am still hearing of women who don't get them at 20-22 weeks, and I can't help but think, based on the hospitals that don't offer them as routine, that one of the reasons is that women will start demanding services like termination for FFA here instead of being told there is no choice but to continue a pregnancy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Regular periods is actually a fairly recent phenomenon. For most of history women have tended to be pregnant too often to attain monthly periods (except for possibly soon after becoming teens). And you've also got to factor in that stress factors can often disrupt the reproductive cycle, so working as a homocide cop could cause havoc with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement