Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continuity announcer warnings

Options
  • 28-01-2015 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭

Just watching Flight on RTE 1 and in the first scene there was a naked pair of boobs and about five minutes later they showed a woman injecting heroin into her arm.Also cocaine was snorted and the f word was uttered a few times.
    Despite this the continuity announcer didn't give any warning beforehand (y'know the usual "please be aware the following film contains adult scenes,drug use and strong language).
    Just wondering does RTE give these warnings before they show something or has this been dispensed with?I'm not a parent and I'm not a prude,just curious as to why they don't do this anymore?Channel Four do it as far as I know.
    Maybe I'm behind the times?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,197 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's after 9 so it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Yeah, RTE have a watershed of 9pm, after which programmes with 'mature' content can be shown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭lukin

It's after 9 so it's fine.

I think on Film Four they still give a warning even if what they are showing is after 9?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

lukin wrote: »
    I think on Film Four they still give a warning even if what they are showing is after 9?

It's much stricter in the UK. Channels there legally have to give a verbal warning before showing anything unsuitable for children.

In Ireland the watershed is not a legal requirement and is more of a courtesy by our broadcasters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's much stricter in the UK. Channels there legally have to give a verbal warning before showing anything unsuitable for children.

In Ireland the watershed is not a legal requirement and is more of a courtesy by our broadcasters.

"and now The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which contains scenes of violence and bad language from the start"

this sort of thing always make me laugh with contempt at 11 pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Adults watching TV after 9pm don't need their hands held

Ireland "more liberal than UK shocka"!
    On the text that comes up when you press the Sky information button it didn't mention anything about drug use,adult scenes etc.On Sky Atlantic when Game of Thrones is on it does mention the adult scenes etc. when you press the information button (even though it's on after 9pm).Interesting.

MargeS wrote: »

I know but do RTE seriously think that every parent is conscientious enough to stop their children (of a certain age) from watching TV after 9pm?
    Pfftt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I know but do RTE seriously think that every parent is conscientious enough to stop their children (of a certain age) from watching TV after 9pm?
    Pfftt.
    Sooner the better IMO. Get them watching The Shield before they're 10 and move them along to Soprano's/Wire before secondary if time allows it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Pfftt.

I think RTE are more than aware that no child of any age would ever watch RTE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭qt3.14

Ireland "more liberal than UK shocka"!
    On the text that comes up when you press the Sky information button it didn't mention anything about drug use,adult scenes etc.On Sky Atlantic when Game of Thrones is on it does mention the adult scenes etc. when you press the information button (even though it's on after 9pm).Interesting.
    Sky would write the "i" for GoT itself but probably gets the text for RTE from RTE itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭bren2001

Is someone actually complaining that a film rated 15A shown after 9 pm was aired without a warning that it contained scenes suitable only for people aged 15 and above? (or those watching with a parent/guardian). I've never sat there, heard the warning and gone "bren2001, maybe mature content is not right for you tonight".....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

"Contains strong language, graphic violence and nudity".....

Right, I'm watching that. Turns out it was a wildlife documentary:( (Attenborough Uncut.)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭The Humble Sausage

MargeS wrote: »

if there's 'a naked pair of boobs' on TV then some adults do need their hands held......held down! your welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Really op. It's up there with 'may contain flashing images'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If I were asked what the movie was about I'd have said " a man off his box who lands a plane upside down and lives to regret it".
    Personally, I'd have had an hour of partying with the plane landing as the climax. Spare me the redemption.
    Continuity Girl was probably assuming that tonight's a school night. Brats off to bed with a clip round the ear and a stern warning about back-talking to the teacher.

RTE rely on the discretion of parents but the UK channels give them a helping hand by giving a verbal warning before the program/film comes on. Even if a parent is not there for the verbal warning the warning is displayed on the Sky information text so a parent can check it while program/film is on to see if it is appropriate viewing for juniors.
    RTE's attitude seems to be "Erra, it's their own look-out". More laziness than anything else I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

RTE rely on the discretion of parents but the UK channels give them a hel if it is appropriate viewing for juniors.
    RTE's attitude seems to be "Erra, it's their own look-out". More laziness than anything else I'd say.

Laziness on behalf of RTE, but nothing wrong with parents letting their kids watch something like this when they're not of an appropriate age.

Another step away from some Irish people having any sort of personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,307 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

thank god for individual tellies now and not having to sit down with the parents and suddenly there's a ridin' scene or a screen full of boobs and clunge coming at ya, and the sudden red head on ya

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

RTE rely on the discretion of parents but the UK channels give them a helping hand by giving a verbal warning before the program/film comes on. Even if a parent is not there for the verbal warning the warning is displayed on the Sky information text so a parent can check it while program/film is on to see if it is appropriate viewing for juniors.
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Laziness on behalf of RTE

It is not RTÉ or any other broadcasters job to be the parent.

If any parent/guardian is allowing a child to view inappropriate material unsupervised then that is their fault.

The role of the parent should never be passed on to someone else or in this case the broadcaster. To do so is lazy on the parents part.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

lertsnim wrote: »
    It is not RTÉ or any other broadcasters job to be the parent.
    L

How did you manage not to see my dripping sarcasm? Did you not read past the line you quoted?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

ThisRegard wrote: »
    How did you manage not to see my dripping sarcasm? Did you not read past the line you quoted?

I did.

Advertisement