Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The gay marriage debate on "Clare Byrne Live"

Options
  • 21-01-2015 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭

Im sure many of you saw the debate on Monday, i just got done watching it myself nd was shocked to see Breda O'Brien continually bringing up issues that had nothing to do with the debate in hand. Had it been the other way around, IONA would have no hesitation in bringing out the lawyers. I felt it important to make a complaint to the BAI. I'd encourage others to do the same. Its important that we ensure up coming debates are fair and balanced and are actually discussing the issues at hand. Here is a synopsis of what I said.
    author wrote:
    The show failed to show fairness and balance in regards to the issue being discussed which is the referendum allowing same sex couples to marry. Breda O’Brien continually brought up issues that had nothing to do with the referendum being held in May. She spoke about Adoption, IVF and surrogacy issues which were irrelevant, distracting and misleading to the main issue. There was also a lady in the audience who spoke about her difficulties of being a child conceived of IVF. While I have sympathy for her plight, this had nothing to do with the issue being discussed and was again misleading to the listeners. There may well be problems with current legislation around adoption, surrogacy, IVF and the rights of the child to know their natural born parents. However that is a separate issue for a separate debate and allowing this to be discussed in Same-Sex Marriage debates is distracting and misleading to the listeners. Going forward I think it is important for the host of these debates to insist on sticking to the issues at hand and if the representative cannot do this that they not be invited back to participate in the debate again. It is important that the national broadcaster ensures that this debate remains fair and balanced and that it is not accommodating information that is misleading and irrelevant to the debate and could potentially influence the outcome.

I can't actually link the email address because i'm a new user but you can find it on the Broadcasting Authority Ireland website.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Show wasn't bad, but I did notice that nearly all of the audience clapping and cheering happened after Breda or the No side made their points, makes me wonder how many of them were Iona rent-a-friends like that woman caught out near the the end of the show! Good to see her son too, who's opinion was in no way influenced by her at all...

Look, the no side cannot attack it on it's merits so they have to use distraction techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,933 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I'm was already aware of everything that said in that link. Though I think it's no harm in sending an email anyway. And sure i'm nervous. The passing of this referendum is far from guaranteed. It's important there is not too much miss information flying around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

https://vine.co/v/OjY32lAltnu

The 'I'm not affiliated with Iona' woman was found later on by sleuths on the Internet...

Surprise surprise...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Ha ha I knew that fruit-loop was familiar...jasus where do they get these people, seriously.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

J_E wrote: »
    The 'I'm not affiliated with Iona' woman was found later on by sleuths on the Internet...

Poor Brendan...

Show wasn't bad, but I did notice that nearly all of the audience clapping and cheering happened after Breda or the No side made their points, makes me wonder how many of them were Iona rent-a-friends like that woman caught out near the the end of the show! Good to see her son too, who's opinion was in no way influenced by her at all...

Look, the no side cannot attack it on it's merits so they have to use distraction techniques.

I think the No side by their more fanatical nature and axe to grind are more likely to come out (excuse the pun!) in a debate like this. Which means all the more the imperativeness for getting the Yes side out and voting, as those opposed are more likely to get and vote No such is the nature of their paranoid agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It was great to see Breda lost for words on occasion. I've never seen her wrong footed like that before. She usually has an answer for everything. I thought the gay couple who spoke were just wonderful, so eloquent and sincere. It is hard to find fault with SSM when faced with the human reality of it.

eviltwin wrote: »
    It was great to see Breda lost for words on occasion. I've never seen her wrong footed like that before. She usually has an answer for everything. I thought the gay couple who spoke were just wonderful, so eloquent and sincere. It is hard to find fault with SSM when faced with the human reality of it.

Exactly. And that's how most normal human beings are viewing it too, bearing in mind that most people now have openly gay family or relatives (which Breda likely has too, despite her robot like musings).
    If I were gay and related to her by jasus she's be getting an earful off me.

In fairness to Claire Byrne she did a really good job, she insisted on Breda answering why she was concerned specifically about same sex marriage, which was one of the occasions she became lost for words.

• Advertisement

Poor Brendan...

I know it was 20 years ago but it would take a really sad old prude to go on national TV and protest about a presumably very tame sex instruction tape. If it bothered you that much love, don't watch it and continue shagging Brendan as normal. Simple really.

And the "I'm a gay man but oppose gay marriage as I believe a child should have a mammy and a daddy...." gays that these crowd roll out in each debate is getting seriously old at this stage.

road_high wrote: »
    And the "I'm a gay man but oppose gay marriage as I believe a child should have a mammy and a daddy...." gays that these crowd roll out in each debate is getting seriously old at this stage.

I think the opposition realised that Paddy Manning wasn't doing them any favours so they had to find themselves a new "gay man opposed to gay marriage"

I think the opposition realised that Paddy Manning wasn't doing them any favours so they had to find themselves a new "gay man opposed to gay marriage"
    Paddy and Keith, despite insisting they aren't, really do come across as having a deeply rooted homophobia of their own. At least Keith is collected when he speaks - Paddy is just plain rude and obnoxious.

Keith is very rude and obnoxious on social media

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

What's his second name?

What's his second name?

Mills

Terry Pratchet

I thought Kieth came across a little rude and obnoxious in the debate as well, especially in the beginning where he basically said Colin Farrell's opinion didn't count because he doesn't live here anymore. Which was funny considering he was more than happy to listen to those who were from England but opposed to same-sex marriage.

Oh, certainly, but in a less furious way - Paddy is unbelievable in comparison. Practically jumping up and down on the couch sort of frantic. Both of them I strongly disagree with though.

I will note that I felt a little furious at Keith today for saying this-

mCawCs0.png

Reading something like this, from a gay man no less, cuts me far deeper than any of the other arguments or portrayals of our community. It is demeaning, patronising, and unauthentic. For people to bring up this argument, they have some sheer nerve.

I thought Kieth came across a little rude and obnoxious in the debate as well, especially in the beginning where he basically said Colin Farrell's opinion didn't count because he doesn't live here anymore. Which was funny considering he was more than happy to listen to those who were from England but opposed to same-sex marriage.

I thought he came across as very rude and abrasive. He shouted down a girl in the audience on one occasion and was focusing on children from the get-go. A very nasty bitter individual with a huge axe to grind.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

road_high wrote: »

Like the gay right wing FG politician

macyard wrote: »

Like the gay right wing FG politician

Think in light of his recent coming-out it's safe to assume he has mellowed his views somewhat. No-one knows the personal turmoil he may have been going through (this was 6 years ago afterall) and perhaps he was in some self-denial and was this colouring his views on the issue. People are entitled to change their views. Iona and Breda are holding steadfastly to their bigoted view of the world which is more the current issue rather than what Leo said 6 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

The debate served to flush the no side out. It is now clear what the arguments will be about. They will not of course be about marriage equality as far as the no side will be. It reminds me of how abortion was brought into every EU treaty debate.

It is now time to prepare for two things 1] Re frame the debate 2] Argue against the points made.

To my mind 1 will be looked after by the passing of the family relationships bill. Constantly reminding people of that and then talking about equality will be good. Talking about rights and love will be helpful as well I'm sure.

If 2 still comes up then we question the credibility if those standing for the rights of children and concerns re parenting. It could be framed as follows:

Iona seems to believe in some kind of fantasy of Ireland of the 50's as espoused by Dev in his address to the nation in 47. Maidens and all that. This is the Ireland where young girls and women were becoming pregnant, where they were being put into institutions and treated in the most inhumane way possible to imagine. Where was the concern for a child's right to knowing their father and mother when children were taken from their mothers and adopted without any real consent.

One could also mention the various reports to abuse in the church. If the argument is made that people can not be held to standards of today for actions 30 or 40 years ago. Well then surely human relationships can not be held to account for views held over 2000 years ago.

Now people may say anger will get us nowhere but there is no harm in tapping into the latent anger that people in their 50s 60s and 70s have towards the church.

A lot of people believe that they missed out on a live and let live values and this might be tapped into.

I hope the campaign will gather rmomentum. This will not be won on Twitter or any other social media. Middle Ireland will need to be won over. It can be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Dingle_berry

I'm was already aware of everything that said in that link. Though I think it's no harm in sending an email anyway. And sure i'm nervous. The passing of this referendum is far from guaranteed. It's important there is not too much miss information flying around.

I would be interested to see what the BAI says about it. Their Code of Fairness, Objectivity & Impartiality
    in News and Current Affairs
    says:
    Audiences are entitled to, and do, trust that the news and current affairs content they access from the broadcast media is accurate. Accurate information enables citizens to participate more fully in a democratic society. Accuracy is therefore a fundamental principle associated with the broadcast of news and current affairs content and should always take priority over the speed with which content can be delivered. It is also acknowledged that despite best efforts, inaccurate information can sometimes be conveyed, whether explicitly or implicitly. The principle of responsiveness is designed to ensure that broadcasters adopt fair, timely and appropriate remedies in handling the broadcast of inaccurate information.
    (from page 6)

The Objectivity & Impartiality Rules, specifically #17 and #19 would also seem to have been violated by Breda (and the broadcaster by inviting the opinion of the guests who campaign for issues surrounding parenting/adoption/IVF).

It is definitely going to be used by the no campaign to muddy the water and confuse the debate. It will tie up the Yes campaigns time correcting the misinformation rather than arguing in support of equality. I definitely agree with Clare Byrnes point that updating the legislation around parenting is happening too close to this referendum. Though it does have to be done before the referendum.

Honestly I doubt much of anything will come of it, but i'll let you know their response if I get one. I'd be happy once with future debates the host ensures that the issues in hand are discussed and it is not constantly derailed with issues around fertility and adoption, in order to try and scare people into voting no. Which let's face it, we've seen this kind of fear mongering in previous Irish referenda and it's worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Claire Byrne is an experienced moderator. She cannot be excused in any way shape or form just because it was her first show. She had total control and decided to go with the contentious topic du jour of civil marriage.

Letting Breda O'Brien on the show was one thing -- letting the monster raving loonies on was another. Keith Mills --Keith who? Is this guy at all influential? I've never heard of him before. Breda was predictable in her obfuscation and nice-as-fukcing-pie tactics.

The audience. Oh my god, Claire, what were you thinking. The IVF woman. Totally irrelevant. I'm so sorry you are emotionally scarred and have several hundred half-siblings you'll never know. But save it for a different debate. And the fact that Claire tried to link that story to Moninne Griffith's child was such a fukcing cod. Jesus Claire, get to know how to properly segue without being prejudicial. Breda's son. Maybe next time the entire family can come on the show for a big pray. The black guy who admitted that his views were due to his faith...I bet the no camp didn't like that particular admission. I actually muted the telly for the old chap it was so vitriolic so I can't comment further. And of course, la piece de resistance herself, Catriona Lynch not representing Iona and definitely not the Community of Nazereth or Sword of the Spirit. I can barely remember what she said, all I recall is arms flailing everywhere.

Claire should've had better control of her audience, and during one of the breaks should have told them to drop it with the clapping. I feel so bad for Lyons, who even said to her that he thought he was invited by RTE to discuss the referendum. Scarleh for Claire tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

Aard wrote: »
    I feel so bad for Lyons, who even said to her that he thought he was invited by RTE to discuss the referendum.

I honestly thought he was going to cry at one stage. He gets really emotional. Breda's politeness is a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

But they needed a lot more of those forceful push backs against the crap she was spouting.

She threw in a lot of red herrings, but they let them all go past and fell back on "its about love."

If we let the view that children will be prejudiced by a yes vote go unchallenged, then love alone won't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

feardeas wrote: »
    The debate served to flush the no side out. It is now clear what the arguments will be about. They will not of course be about marriage equality as far as the no side will be. It reminds me of how abortion was brought into every EU treaty debate.

It is now time to prepare for two things 1] Re frame the debate 2] Argue against the points made.

To my mind 1 will be looked after by the passing of the family relationships bill. Constantly reminding people of that and then talking about equality will be good. Talking about rights and love will be helpful as well I'm sure.

If 2 still comes up then we question the credibility if those standing for the rights of children and concerns re parenting. It could be framed as follows:

Iona seems to believe in some kind of fantasy of Ireland of the 50's as espoused by Dev in his address to the nation in 47. Maidens and all that. This is the Ireland where young girls and women were becoming pregnant, where they were being put into institutions and treated in the most inhumane way possible to imagine. Where was the concern for a child's right to knowing their father and mother when children were taken from their mothers and adopted without any real consent.

One could also mention the various reports to abuse in the church. If the argument is made that people can not be held to standards of today for actions 30 or 40 years ago. Well then surely human relationships can not be held to account for views held over 2000 years ago.

Now people may say anger will get us nowhere but there is no harm in tapping into the latent anger that people in their 50s 60s and 70s have towards the church.

A lot of people believe that they missed out on a live and let live values and this might be tapped into.

I hope the campaign will gather rmomentum. This will not be won on Twitter or any other social media. Middle Ireland will need to be won over. It can be done.

No offense, but an angry railing against historic wrongs would not be an effective strategy.

People who are angered by various church and other wrongs regarding the family etc are already like to lean to the yes side. It's the traditionalists who are more inclined to vote no, and attacking the traditional structures they still value will backfire.

I think we need to engage on the points, but to counter them and show why a yes vote is actually good for children and families. I think focusing on children being raised by same sex couples and how they will be prejudiced by a no vote would be far more effective.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 380 ✭✭macyard

floggg wrote: »
    No offense, but an angry railing against historic wrongs would not be an effective strategy.

People who are angered by various church and other wrongs regarding the family etc are already like to lean to the yes side. It's the traditionalists who are more inclined to vote no, and attacking the traditional structures they still value will backfire.

I think we need to engage on the points, but to counter them and show why a yes vote is actually good for children and families. I think focusing on children being raised by same sex couples and how they will be prejudiced by a no vote would be far more effective.

Please go down this line, I want to see the outcome.

Advertisement