Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest dairy farm/herd in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 farmerdave1

The biggest farmer in ireland isTom Browne from youghal co cork he milks 700 cows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

The biggest farmer in ireland isTom Browne from youghal co cork he milks 700 cows

Wecome to boards.ie farmerdave1 !

LostCovey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

and is he over quota or under quota:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

That's the guy that was featured on 'A Year On the land'. That's one farm walk I wouldn't mind going on.
    http://www.ayearontheland.com/2011/01/11/tom-browne/

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

Big write up about tom browne on the ifj website. worth a read
    grown Up to 820 cows now, some set up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

He was at 700 plus 4years ago when this thread started so what's and couple of hundred to someone that size

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

farmerjj wrote: »
    He was at 700 plus 4years ago when this thread started so what's and couple of hundred to someone that size

they have a twitter account and face the same challenges are most other dairy farmers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

I presume Browne is the biggest in the Republic and probably the biggest grazing unit in all of irelanf. I've been on one farm in NI with over 1100 cows but they are housed all year round. And have have heard of 3 or 4 others with 1000+

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭MFdaveIreland

farmerjj wrote: »
    effectively another average sized herd!
    @onyerbikepat, my apologies.. haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Charliebull

if only a man could sneak a few of the CH bull calves in there for a few weeks,
    be as good a as a bin of meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭onyerbikepat

He'd want a few of these;

848651.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭grazeaway

I presume Browne is the biggest in the Republic and probably the biggest grazing unit in all of irelanf. I've been on one farm in NI with over 1100 cows but they are housed all year round. And have have heard of 3 or 4 others with 1000+

There is a family that will be knocking on 1000 near midleton. Split into 3 herds across nearby farms. Know a few lads up that way and they say it's a great setup. One lad can milk 300 cows and be cleaned up in 90 mins. They wouldn't be as big into the media as brown so probably not as well known outside the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

grazeaway wrote: »
    There is a family that will be knocking on 1000 near midleton. Split into 3 herds across nearby farms. Know a few lads up that way and they say it's a great setup. One lad can milk 300 cows and be cleaned up in 90 mins. They wouldn't be as big into the media as brown so probably not as well known outside the area.

Neighbours here would be running substantially more than this but in beef. Factory related though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Less than a mile from me there is a 300 and 500 cow herd beside each other and a setup for 600 going in beside them ( to start in '16 with 300...I think a few on Twitter might know about that one)

Edit: 3 yrs ago there was only 200 cows on 1 of those farms..other 2 were ploughef)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

Just for the fun of it whos got the smallest herd, I k now of one lad milking around 15 or 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭Greengrass1

keep going wrote: »
    Just for the fun of it whos got the smallest herd, I k now of one lad milking around 15 or 16.

Local lad here milking 18 cow .
    Happy out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

theres a lad up north milking 3 cows, hes organic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

Miname wrote: »
    theres a lad up north milking 3 cows, hes organic.

Sounds like we could have a winner! Although for someone to come in and say they have a cow for the house!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭visatorro

family around here going to milk 1100. nine labour units. great men to work in all fairness.
    i know a fella bought stuff off me last October. he had sold his 25 suckler cows and had 25 fr heifers bought. he wasn't goin expanding after that. himself and his son work off farm.

• Advertisement

Was milking one cow for a few weeks last year late calver, calf got sick and she had too much milk so to stop her getting mastitis I had to get out the 3 legged stool. No way would she let another calf drink her but she was fine to be milked by hand.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 260 ✭✭Jimlh86

What would the opinion be on this, 30 acres, good land, in one block no dairy facilities in place with very little housing. Could a lad set up and milk a few cows but not have massive overheads? This is just curiosity at the moment so don't jump down my neck!!!!

Jimlh86 wrote: »
    What would the opinion be on this, 30 acres, good land, in one block no dairy facilities in place with very little housing. Could a lad set up and milk a few cows but not have massive overheads? This is just curiosity at the moment so don't jump down my neck!!!!

Lot of work in milking cows no matter how few you have as they need to be done twice a day. Most fellas match the parlour size to the number of cows so even a small herd and parlour will still need an hour or more twice a day. You ll need to weight up the amount of work needed versus what you give as I assume you are working off site.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 260 ✭✭Jimlh86

grazeaway wrote: »
    Lot of work in milking cows no matter how few you have as they need to be done twice a day. Most fellas match the parlour size to the number of cows so even a small herd and parlour will still need an hour or more twice a day. You ll need to weight up the amount of work needed versus what you give as I assume you are working off site.

Yeah I'm working off site, ah it's only a thought for down the line maybe, I've very little dairy experience but I'm not one for letting common sense get in the way of my plans!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Pacoa

Sure all you need is a setup like this :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcxK93woWvo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭larrymiller

keep going wrote: »

I've a friend. Who milks ten. But it gets better.
    No land at the parlour so only winter milk fed silage and fodder beet. And the parlour is 2 stables with 2 units.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭kowtow

We'll milk a dozen this year. Two dozen when we reach full capacity (our contribution to Food Harvest 2020)..

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭einn32

Know a fella milking two. Drives a trailed bulk tank on a single axle out the front of house for milk truck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Seriously. No is the simple answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭Deepsouthwest

As a business it won't make u rich, but it could be quite a lucrative hobby, and I'm serious about that. If u love farming/cows and have the time then of course it's a runner, it won't pay the mortgage, but it could pay for a lot of the smaller stuff.

Advertisement