Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Ratoath

Options
  • 21-04-2014 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi,

Did post similar message on a much older thread but advised to start a new one so sorry for any repetition....

We're considering relocating from Dublin to Ratoath and have our eye on the Steeplechase estate specifically. Would be keen to get peoples opinions and comments on the important considerations such as public transport, schools and kids facilities. Particularly keen to find out more about the latter. I cant get any information on nearby parks, playgrounds and general kids activities etc. which would be an important consideration for us. Has there been much recent improvements in recent years on things like supermarkets, pubs etc or has it stayed pretty much the same and what are peoples opions on the area and people itself?

Lastly, as we are not familiar with the area, Is the Steeplechase estate a nice place to raise kids? Seems to be little else available in Ratoath.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Howdy.

I've lived in Ratoath pretty much all my life so I'll try to answer your points as best I can.
    I'm going on my own local knowledge so some parts may not be 100% correct and apologies if this is the case.

I'll go straight to stuff for kids to do as that was your most important concern. The most recent development in this regard was the BMX track on the Fairyhouse Road. This has been a great success by the looks of it and most weekends, especially during the summer, it is absolutely jammed. Away from that, you have the soccer club located right next to Steeplechase on the Skryne Road, the GAA club on the other side of Steeplechase on the Dunshaughlin Road and the Rugby club just a two minute drive away on the Curraha Road. Then you have the Athletics club, Beavers/Cubs/Scouts etc., Tennis Club and Pitch and Putt. There's probably more that I'm not thinking of.
    Nearby you have Tayto Park (<10 minute drive). I know a good few friends and relatives who have yearly membership to Tayto Park as it's constantly changing and a good day out for kids. As for playgrounds, I'm not sure. There may be one in Steeplechase but I don't know. I know there's one in both Ashbourne and Dunboyne nearby.

There's one secondary school in the area which seems to have done quite well since it opened. Then you have Ratoath Junior and Senior NS, St. Paul's NS and the Gaelscoil.

Public transport is OK, I suppose. There's a reliable enough bus service to and from Dublin and the Blanchardstown Centre. I don't use it often, but when I have, it is usually on time (or not too late) at morning rush hour anyway. However, if you've ever complained about Dublin Bus, I'd say you're in for a big shock with Bus Éireann. It's extremely expensive to get in and out of Dublin. About a 10 minute drive away is the M3 Parkway train station. Again, quite expensive, and you have to get off at Clonsilla to get a train into Connolly, but almost always on time.

There's been no new supermarkets in the area. There's a Super Valu in the village centre which is OK. Then there's a Spar on the Fairyhouse Road, a Centra in the village centre and a small Tesco shop as well. In Ashbourne you have Tesco, Lidl and Aldi. I'd usually go there for the weekly shop.
    Pubs are the same. You've a choice of the Auld Stand, Ryans, Ratoath Inn or the bar in the GAA club. Though I've noticed Ryans has gotten a lot more popular over the last few years after being very quiet for a long time.

As for the area itself, I don't have first hand experience of Steeplechase, but I've never heard anything bad about it. It was built not long before the crash so a lot of people bought houses as "investments" and are now renting them out which is probably why there are so many available.

I like the village. Despite the massive increase in population since the mid/late 1990s (I think it's the third biggest town in Meath now) it still has a small community feel to it, unlike Ashbourne in my opinion. You do have some problems with anti social behaviour and house burglaries, but overall it's nothing you wouldn't expect in any village or town.
    Someone else can probably expand on my views, but if you've any other questions about the area, don't hesitate to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

There is a playground in the Steeplechase estate alright, besides that I think you covered the majority of the points Hammer. New 4 star pizza opened up last weekend for the days you're too tired to cook ;)
    There's also a bosing club in the town centre which does classes and stuff for all ages and the Venue theatre in the community centre has shows on regularly and comedians etc. They also do karate, tae kwon do etc etc here too.

Great GAA facilities and soccer and rugby big part of the town now too. Tennis club has 4 lovely courts down on the avenue to the secondary school and the athletics club has its own grass track which is very good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Hammer Archer summed it up pretty well.

There's also Pulse which is a youth cafe beside the community centre with PCs, Xboxes, PS3s, Table tennis, Pool, etc for teenagers. New boxing club opened a few months ago and seems to be doing well.

Although it doesn't have the big shops like Aldi, Lidl or a proper Tesco, they're all really close. Ashbourne is a 5 minute drive, Blanch about 10 minutes.

Public transport isn't great but not too bad. There's a bus to City centre at least every hour which passes through Blanch. Then there's another service that goes through Ashbourne, Finglas and on to City centre. They're usually on time or there abouts, though the odd time they go missing and it's very frustrating. It's €9 day return to City centre and takes about 45mins to an hour defending on time of day, traffic, etc

You do get some youth hanging around but for all the walking around I've done, I've never had a problem really and it's not like they're everywhere, just the usual teens hanging outside a shop or whatever

Great place to live IMO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AC_Dublin12

Related query re: moving to Ratoath

We are considering moving to the Woodlands estate in Ratoath. Does anyone know where I can find out what if any maintenance fees / lawn cutting fees or residence committee fees apply to houses in this estate?

The estate agent claims he does not know if any apply to the estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 graceannac

Hi there,
    Myself and boyfriend are in a similar situation to duffalosoldier. We're thinking about moving out to Ratoath from Castleknock. We are renting at the moment and hoping to buy but so pricey in castleknock , so we're thinking about house hunting out towards Dunboyne or Ratoath direction.Anyone out there made a similar move recently???.Can anyone give us any general info about the areas.. any info on the usual traffic in morning/ evening from Ratoath out on to M50??
    Also any info on social clubs would be great to get.... running/ walking clubs, Pubs good craic???

Thanks any info would be great

• Advertisement

graceannac wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Myself and boyfriend are in a similar situation to duffalosoldier. We're thinking about moving out to Ratoath from Castleknock. We are renting at the moment and hoping to buy but so pricey in castleknock , so we're thinking about house hunting out towards Dunboyne or Ratoath direction.Anyone out there made a similar move recently???.Can anyone give us any general info about the areas.. any info on the usual traffic in morning/ evening from Ratoath out on to M50??
    Also any info on social clubs would be great to get.... running/ walking clubs, Pubs good craic???

Thanks any info would be great

Hammer Archer has covered pretty much everything.

Ratoath to the M50 would take about 15 mins via N2 or N3

There's an athletics club, tennis, Rugby, GAA, soccer and plenty more I'm sure

Pubs in Ratoath aren't great. Ratoath Inn isn't up to much, Ryans has gotten busier with music on most Fridays and Saturdays and drink deals. The Auld Stand is decent but no music and fairly small. Great smoking area if you're a smoker.

There's a few decent restaurants here too if that's your thing. La Bucca, Bella Sora and Massimos being three Italians. Asian mix and schezwan bistro both really nice and both have an all you can eat. A few cafés/coffee shops and take aways too

The best thing about Ratoath IMO is, you're close go everything! nice and close to town (50 mins on the bus), 15 mins from blanch, 8 minutes from Ashbourne. It's a small enough town but is so close to everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Sun in Capri

Related query re: moving to Ratoath

We are considering moving to the Woodlands estate in Ratoath. Does anyone know where I can find out what if any maintenance fees / lawn cutting fees or residence committee fees apply to houses in this estate?

The estate agent claims he does not know if any apply to the estate.

Amazing that the estate agent does not know this!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 diannesaloe

you couldnt go wrong living in ratoath,prefer it to ashbourne as it has a community feel to it and asbourne is only a couple minutes drive away

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Thekopkid

We took the decision in 2007 to move to ratoath from santry,we now have 4 kids from 12 to 2 years old and it's a fantastic place to live,my advice would be to visit diff estates at diff times of the day on diff days of the week till you find the level of activity that your happy with I say that because we liked a house in another estate but after the random visits it was like a ghost estate and with having a small family it was not for us.we have the right amount of everything and anything else is 10 min away ,we have lovely neighbours and have made some really great friends and the only thing we will do when the kids leave the nest is downsize but will remain in ratoath .the schools are fantastic and the clubs for both adults and kids are aplenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭duffalosoldier

Might be too late to reply to this but I believe its a voluntary contribution of about €150 per annum.

• Advertisement

Might be too late to reply to this but I believe its a voluntary contribution of about €150 per annum.

Well we settled on Ratoath in the end! Contracts signed and hoping to move in at the end of the month. Thanks to everybody for the comments and words of wisdom, which were helpful in making our decision. Looking forward to the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭martin101

I've made the move from dublin to ratoath. I'm only here 2 weeks, but so far so good. If you want any advise il do my best to help. So far though I'm loving it. I work in dublin city centre but it's actually pretty easy to get in and out from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

what's the story with the chap in ratoath walks round with the hi-viz jacket all the time? in his 50's I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭b318isp

It might be Nick Killian, a very active councillor for the area.

He has a beard: http://nickkillian.ie/

What's the best take away place or restaurant in ratoath? Only there two weeks and only have tried macari's so far

martin101 wrote: »
    What's the best take away place or restaurant in ratoath? Only there two weeks and only have tried macari's so far

The Chinese at Apache is really nice and the Indian at Ratoath Inn is great.

There's 3 restaurants that I can think of and all 3 are really good. Massimos on the main street beside the post office, Bella Sora above the Auld Stand and La Bucca around the corner from Centra

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    The Chinese at Apache is really nice and the Indian at Ratoath Inn is great.

There's 3 restaurants that I can think of and all 3 are really good. Massimos on the main street beside the post office, Bella Sora above the Auld Stand and La Bucca around the corner from Centra

Thanks for the quick reply. Il check them all out very soon

martin101 wrote: »
    I've made the move from dublin to ratoath. I'm only here 2 weeks, but so far so good. If you want any advise il do my best to help. So far though I'm loving it. I work in dublin city centre but it's actually pretty easy to get in and out from there.

Thanks Martin, sounds like were in the same boat !! How you finding the commute?? Are you driving or taking the bus? Im working in Ballsbridge and considering both. Think the drive is best part of an hour so may opt for the bus. Looking forward to moving in the coming weeks - look out for one man and his van !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

what's the story with the chap in ratoath walks round with the hi-viz jacket all the time? in his 50's I'd say

Definately not Nick Killian, he's just an old guy who lives on the Fairyhouse Road. He's a bit odd alright but harmless enough.

• Advertisement

Thanks Martin, sounds like were in the same boat !! How you finding the commute?? Are you driving or taking the bus? Im working in Ballsbridge and considering both. Think the drive is best part of an hour so may opt for the bus. Looking forward to moving in the coming weeks - look out for one man and his van !!!

Have to say the commute isn't too bad, I don't drive but it doesn't really bother me, I get a lift to work in the morning from my girlfriend and coming home I get the bus. Usually it's an hour on the bus but I don't mind that, I was living in castleknock before I moved and it was taking me just as long some days to get home. Loving ratoath so far I have to say. Delighted we made the move out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

He has a mental disability and is an alcoholic but is harmless and a nice man (saved my mother from a holdup 20 years ago in the shop she works).

He has a mental disability and is an alcoholic but is harmless and a nice man (saved my mother from a holdup 20 years ago in the shop she works).

Not sure where you're getting the alcoholic part from. I've often seen him in the pub but have never seen him have more than 2 pints at a time, usually just the one and then he heads off

Anyway, like you said, he's a nice man and harmless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Han534

Love the town

Big street festival on this weekend with live music, food stalls, raffles, bouncy castles and loads of other stuff

Ah right. Gonna give driving a go before I try the bus isuppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Celtic Runner

My wife and I are considering making the move as well. We have been down for drives around different estates over the last few weeks to get a feel for the village and like it a lot. I work in the IFSC in Dublin City Centre and I'm going to give the after work commute a go this evening. Going to the get the train to the M3 Parkway and drive from there to the village. Could someone advise which station to get on at when leaving Dublin ? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Obrieski

My wife and I are considering making the move as well. We have been down for drives around different estates over the last few weeks to get a feel for the village and like it a lot. I work in the IFSC in Dublin City Centre and I'm going to give the after work commute a go this evening. Going to the get the train to the M3 Parkway and drive from there to the village. Could someone advise which station to get on at when leaving Dublin ? Cheers.

Sorry for the late response to you Celtic, the best bet is to get to the Docklands station as the M3 train goes direct from there everyday. Alternatively, considering you work in the IFSC, going from Connolly on any Manynooth bound service, if you get off at Clonsilla or a station along there (I think, open to correction on this) and wait for the M3 train, it should come along fairly regularly after that. The timetable on the Irish Rail website will help with sorting out times that suit.

To go with bus, the bus home goes from Beresford Place which is only a short walk from IFSC and goes very regularly to Ratoath. The 7.45am from the Auld Stand goes through Ashbourne and will more often than not get you into O'Connell Street for around 8.45...obviously very traffic dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Celtic Runner

Cheers Obrieski, have arranged a house viewing for later in the week so will use that as a dummy run to gauge the commute

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Baggies

Sorry for the thread revival, just looking for an update from those who moved down recently to see how they are getting on and those who were thinking of moving, did you go in the end?

We are very close to selling our house in south Dublin and making the move but we are just a bit cautious of the difference between the schools, I started a new thread about it in this section (Can't post the link as new user)

Advertisement